Interesting Studies: Probably low carb related in one way or another

Options

Replies

• AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    The Effect of Low Carbohydrate Diets on Fertility Hormones and Outcomes in Overweight and Obese Women: A Systematic Review

This review found that reducing carbohydrate load can reduce circulating insulin levels, improve hormonal imbalance and resume ovulation to improve pregnancy rates compared to usual diet.

Note: Low carb was defined as <45%

Source
  • AlabasterVerve
    Options
    Youtube: Dr. Benjamin Bikman - 'Insulin vs. Ketones - The Battle for Brown Fat'

Talks about caloric and endocrin theories of obesity.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Youtube: Dr. Benjamin Bikman - 'Insulin vs. Ketones - The Battle for Brown Fat'

Talks about caloric and endocrin theories of obesity.

Really interesting video!
  • AlabasterVerve
    Options
    Palatable Hyper-Caloric Foods Impact on Neuronal Plasticity

Neural plasticity is an intrinsic and essential characteristic of the nervous system that allows animals “self-tuning” to adapt to their environment over their lifetime. Activity-dependent synaptic plasticity in the central nervous system is a form of neural plasticity that underlies learning and memory formation, as well as long-lasting, environmentally-induced maladaptive behaviors, such as drug addiction and overeating of palatable hyper-caloric (PHc) food.

In western societies, the abundance of PHc foods has caused a dramatic increase in the incidence of overweight/obesity and related disorders. To this regard, it has been suggested that increased adiposity may be caused at least in part by behavioral changes in the affected individuals that are induced by the chronic consumption of PHc foods; some authors have even drawn attention to the similarity that exists between over-indulgent eating and drug addiction.

Long-term misuse of certain dietary components has also been linked to chronic neuroimmune maladaptation that may predispose individuals to neurodegenerative conditions such as Alzheimer’s disease. In this review article, we discuss recent evidence that shows how consumption of PHc food can cause maladaptive neural plasticity that converts short-term ingestive drives into compulsive behaviors.

Source
  • AlabasterVerve
    Options
    Hyperinsulinemia: a Cause of Obesity?

"Current guidelines attribute obesity to overeating and inactivity based on the thermodynamic principle that change in mass = (input – output). Implementation of the NIH health guidelines from 1980: “avoid too much fat, saturated fat and cholesterol; eat foods with adequate starch and fiber”…coincided with a sharp rise in obesity. Unfortunately, the recommended therapy of dieting and exercise has not led to any amelioration of the high incidence of obesity.

Inadequacy of our conceptual understanding of obesity is documented by randomized clinical trial data showing the following:
    • Overeating causes short-term weight gain but is often not sustained [1, 2••].
    • Dieting leads to weight loss but is rarely sustained [1, 2••].
    • Inactivity does not cause obesity.
    • Exercise improves health but does not cure obesity [3••].

Some interesting observations indicate that there are differences among people who successfully defend their weight compared with those that gain weight more easily. Further evaluation of these extremes may lead to a greater understanding of obesity. We would suggest that such evaluations include the hormone and hormone response profiles, particularly to insulin."

Source
  • AlabasterVerve
    Options
    Randomized Controlled Trial of a MUFA or Fiber-Rich Diet on Hepatic Fat in Prediabetes.

No surprise what the results were.

Source
  • AlabasterVerve
    Options
    Blog Post: Fruit and Diabetes - some evidence

It's a commonly discussed paradox of sorts - how can fruit have a negative association with diabetes in epidemiology when it's full of sugar?
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Long-term effects of a ketogenic diet in obese patients

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2716748/#!po=23.7705
  • AlabasterVerve
    Options
    USF researcher joins NASA deep-sea mission

Dr. D’Agostino will be in a constant state of nutritional ketosis, which is proven to preserve the genome, protecting DNA. This is beneficial to NASA as it can countermeasure neurological risks that come with space travel such as space radiation, lack of oxygen and stress of small spaces.

No other crew members will be in this metabolic state, creating a baseline for how environmental factors impact the human body in such extreme conditions. Data will also be collected from the other crew members on gut microbiome, body composition, cognitive tasks, vision assessment, sleep quality and a variety of other physiological parameters.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    That is really very cool!
  • AlabasterVerve
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I thought so too. I remember reading a small blurb last year or the year before that NASA was researching ketogenic diets but this is the first I've heard about it since then.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    I think the armed forces (SEALS?) has been using his research for years... We need trauma care providers to look at his work too. I I ever had a stroke or drowned, I know which way I'd like to be treated!

I'm excited to follow this. Thanks!
  • AlabasterVerve
    Options
    Guest post by Gary Taubes in response to AHA doubling down on their anti saturated fat message:

Vegetable oils, (Francis) Bacon, Bing Crosby, and the American Heart Association
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    Yikes. And that is why I ignore anything the AHA says... or ADA for that matter.

Thanks for sharing that.
  • AlabasterVerve
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Kevin Hall is recruiting for a new study on ultra processed foods. This study can't answer the question of whether ultra processed food diets are healthful, of course, but I think it's a good place to start. I'll be very interested to see the results of this one in a few years time.

Effect of Isocaloric Ultra Processed Versus Unprocessed Diets on Insulin Sensitivity

@nvmomketo I ignore all of the recommendations from those organizations these days as they're clearly not basing their recommendations on rigorous science. I've gone back to what I grew up with - when seemingly everyone wasn't fat and sick - and its served me well.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    Kevin Hall is recruiting for a new study on ultra processed foods. This study can't answer the question of whether ultra processed food diets are healthful, of course, but I think it's a good place to start. I'll be very interested to see the results of this one in a few years time.

Effect of Isocaloric Ultra Processed Versus Unprocessed Diets on Insulin Sensitivity

@nvmomketo I ignore all of the recommendations from those organizations these days as they're clearly not basing their recommendations on rigorous science. I've gone back to what I grew up with - when seemingly everyone wasn't fat and sick - and its served me well.

I'm similar but I had to go back further - my family completely bought into the low fat high carb dogma. But my parents were overweight as well. :(

I wonder how Hall's study will compare with Feltham's n=1 isocaloric 5000kcal challenge.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options

Maybe the tip of the iceberg in ridding the myths of clean eating vs "junk" food? Although I must admit, finding people that can limit intake with some of the indulgent ultra processed goodness these days might be the real test.

So much good linkage within this thread, it's hard to check them all out. But just in case I haven't commented yet, I've bookmarked it as a great "go to" thread for when I have time to read the studies.
  • AlabasterVerve
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I'm similar but I had to go back further - my family completely bought into the low fat high carb dogma. But my parents were overweight as well. :(

I wonder how Hall's study will compare with Feltham's n=1 isocaloric 5000kcal challenge.

I brought the guidelines home from school with me so eventually we were thoroughly indoctrinated and my mom started buying margarine, skim milk and rinsing the ground mince under hot water to rinse off as much fat as possible. My grandmom wasn't having any of it though :D so I grew up with her "unhealthy" cooking too which I'm grateful for now.

My mom wasn't as bad as my Aunt though - I remember her toasting bread in the toaster and taking the toast and a fat free slice of cheese and microwaving it to make grilled cheese. My cousin is diagnosed with schizophrenia now and I honestly believe it's a result of the low fat hysteria and the extremes my Aunt went to to "cut the fat".

I never followed Feltham's challenge - I meant to check it out but never did. Unless Hall is going to have people guzzling sugary drinks and corn oil I don't think there's going to be much difference between either group. I imagine he's going to put together a reasonable meal plan (that doesn't reflect real world food choices), feed it to healthy fat people, force compliance and conclude there's nothing inherently unhealthy about an ultra processed food diet.

robertw486 wrote: »
    Maybe the tip of the iceberg in ridding the myths of clean eating vs "junk" food? Although I must admit, finding people that can limit intake with some of the indulgent ultra processed goodness these days might be the real test.

It depends on the results but I'm inclined to think you might be right. Which will be a shame if they leave it at that. Ultra processed foods certainly drive unhealthy patterns of eating, IME. Or maybe we'll see ultra processed foods impact health markers negatively even in the short term? Either way, it's a good (and needed) first experiment no matter how the results end up being used.

So much good linkage within this thread, it's hard to check them all out. But just in case I haven't commented yet, I've bookmarked it as a great "go to" thread for when I have time to read the studies.

Cool. This is skewed towards my interest in low carb diets but if this interests you you'd probably find The Obesity and Energetics Offerings even more worthwhile. They compile links to all of the related research each week - it's good stuff!
  • AlabasterVerve
    Options
    Diet advice in a JAMA article from 1957 via Ted Naiman.

Treating Overweight Patients by George L. Thorpe, M.D.

Summary

The patient with excess weight not caused by disease must be dealt with as an individual whose excess weight may be due to excessive carbohydrate intake or a disturbance in his carbohydrate metabolism. Evidence from widely different sources, when examined in light of recent metabolism studies, seems to justify the use of high-protein, high-fat, low-carbohydrate diets for successful loss of excess weight. There are apparent defects in the rationale of the commonly used low-calorie restrictive diets, and there should be a return to a more natural type of diet. Drugs may be used, but their defects should be considered. Common foods such as cereals and milk are excellent, but, in my way of thinking, they have no place in the diet of the overweight individual.

Full Article

• AlabasterVerve
    Options
    London Hospital Study, 1965 via George Henderson

Low-Fat Diet in Myocardial Infarction: A controlled Trial

Summary
    A controlled trial of a 40g low-fat diet was carried out on 264 men who had survived a first infarction. Despite a lowering of the blood-cholesterol and a greater fall in body-weight in the treated group, the relapse-rate was not significantly different in the two groups.

A low-fat diet has no place in the treatment of myocardial infarction.