Options
13»

Replies

• stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    rosebette wrote: »
    Well, the point is moot for a while because I went in for my blood test, and it was a total SNAFU. The phelobotomist didn't have my records (even though the doctor is in the same office as lab test), and eventually she went over to the doctor's to get my records. Then the only thing I was tested for was TSH (thyroid). I needed to be tested for this anyway, but after fasting, which was completely unnecessary for the TSH, I was pretty annoyed. So I guess the lipid test will be later, so I'll have time to refine my diet more.

I do think my cholesterol might be genetic. My mom, who is 86, has high cholesterol, as did my grandmother, who lived to be 102. My mom couldn't manage the statins -- the muscle pain was too excruciating. Also, at 86, doctors are more like f- it; eat what you want and enjoy your life.

Awesome, sounds like the goofballs at my last GP. Never did have an office visit go smoothly.

BTW - if they're insisting you need to fast for a cholesterol test, they're wrong (if there are additional tests, you may need to fast for those). Fasting doesn't significantly affect the accuracy of a cholesterol test.

If at some point you decide you need to take a cholesterol-lowering medication, just do your research and make sure you look at the various statins and non-statins. Make sure the type of cholesterol that is high is one that needs lowering and is something the drug is actually effective lowering. Doctors fall for marketing hype just like everyone else, and some do not keep up with current research.

The newer studies are showing that for people who are taking statins as a 'protective measure' (fall into the <=20% risk category) - i.e. borderline high cholesterol and some but not major familial risk of cardiovascular disease - there is no improvement in long term outcomes in either longevity, or cardiac events over people in the same category who opted to take a different medication or no medication.
  • heatherwartanyan
    heatherwartanyan Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Ask your doctor if they can check the particles size of the cholesterol. Numbers dont matter. Your body needs cholesterol. What matters is the size small particles is bad large cholesterol is good.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I doubt you'll see much difference. Fasting LDL levels don't change quickly. Giving something up for 7-10 days probably never made much difference in your other tests.
  • Smallc10
    Smallc10 Posts: 554 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I guess the other question is what is "normal" eating? I eat red meat about once a week (or less -- and I did have a 6 oz. steak at the 99 on Wednesday) and have eggs two to 3 times a week and occasionally eat small amounts of cheese. I don't eat a lot of baked goods (although indulged in a gluten free brownie at church today) or processed carbs. It's not like I'm stuffing down the fries and bacon cheese burgers.
    quote]

Normal eating would be - eat like every other week without even thinking about your test happening on Friday. The only thing I change is I make sure I don't have a weekend where I drink more than usual before my test because then I get one where my triglycerides are super high. I still have a glass of wine now and again, but I refuse to have the you drink too much chat with my doctor again when I only drink a bottle of wine every 3-4 weeks... ugh.
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    My triglycerides are great and my HDL is great. My LDL is elevated. I tried different meds. One kind didn't lower my cholesterol. Another made me ache terribly. I decided to try to control it with diet & exercise but it didn't lower it. I exercised religioulsy; no eggs; no fried foods; no fast good; etc. But numbers did not change.

The next doctor tried me on niacin which felt like fire ants all over me. I tried this for weeks. Fire ants at bedtime is no fun.

I finally found a medicine that's not having side effects at the moment. I'm eating healhier. Yes, I eat eggs. But I also eat lean proteins, high fiber, good fats such as olive oil, tuna and I don't fry anything. I test again in 3 months to see if this is successful.

I agree with above. Talk to your doctor. Although I've had some to say I can control cholesterol with diet, I still feel as it is in some cases hereditary. Good luck.
  • Mavrick_RN
    Mavrick_RN Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Have your blood drawn when you're ready. Wait a week if you want. You don't have to go in the instant your Dr. orders the test.
  • AngelAura777
    AngelAura777 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I dont know if this will info help but just eat normally (unprocessed whole foods). Your body synthesises a lot of the cholesterol itself and a lot of the time high LDL is indicated by faulty cholesterol transport in the body. If there is too much cholesterol in the cells the cells will not uptake any cholesterol from the plasma. Also if there is not enough LDL receptors on the cell membrane there will be less uptake of LDL cholesterol from the plasma into the cells. All statins do is inhibit the enzyme called HMG CoA reductase (this enzyme catalyses the synthesis of cholesterol) and allows more LDL to enter the cells. If you dont have sufficient LDL receptors, accumulation of LDL in the plasma can still occur even on a low cholesterol diet. Im studying nutritional medicine and this info is from my biochem textbook. (Source: pg 574-576 Introduction to general, organic and biochemistry, bettleheim.) Also insulin resistance can lead to high cholesterol so eating less sugar will help. There is info about this in this book: The blood sugar solution by dr mark hyman.
  • CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Isn't the point of getting a cholesterol test to gauge if you are healthy or not? If you're going to try and cheat the test, why take it at all?
  • summerkissed
    summerkissed Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I dont know if this will info help but just eat normally (unprocessed whole foods). Your body synthesises a lot of the cholesterol itself and a lot of the time high LDL is indicated by faulty cholesterol transport in the body. If there is too much cholesterol in the cells the cells will not uptake any cholesterol from the plasma. Also if there is not enough LDL receptors on the cell membrane there will be less uptake of LDL cholesterol from the plasma into the cells. All statins do is inhibit the enzyme called HMG CoA reductase (this enzyme catalyses the synthesis of cholesterol) and allows more LDL to enter the cells. If you dont have sufficient LDL receptors, accumulation of LDL in the plasma can still occur even on a low cholesterol diet. Im studying nutritional medicine and this info is from my biochem textbook. (Source: pg 574-576 Introduction to general, organic and biochemistry, bettleheim.) Also insulin resistance can lead to high cholesterol so eating less sugar will help. There is info about this in this book: The blood sugar solution by dr mark hyman.

Wow that's really interesting :smile: I just might get a hold of that book myself!
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Well, the point is moot for a while because I went in for my blood test, and it was a total SNAFU. The phelobotomist didn't have my records (even though the doctor is in the same office as lab test), and eventually she went over to the doctor's to get my records. Then the only thing I was tested for was TSH (thyroid). I needed to be tested for this anyway, but after fasting, which was completely unnecessary for the TSH, I was pretty annoyed. So I guess the lipid test will be later, so I'll have time to refine my diet more.

I do think my cholesterol might be genetic. My mom, who is 86, has high cholesterol, as did my grandmother, who lived to be 102. My mom couldn't manage the statins -- the muscle pain was too excruciating. Also, at 86, doctors are more like f- it; eat what you want and enjoy your life.

Is your thyroid properly managed? Hypothyroidism causes elevated cholesterol. I have noticed that even small changes of T4, still within the normal range, affect a lot my LDL/HDL ratio and cholesterol is something my endocrinologist always checks and evaluates along with TSH and T4.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    Ask your doctor if they can check the particles size of the cholesterol. Numbers dont matter. Your body needs cholesterol. What matters is the size small particles is bad large cholesterol is good.

What kind of test is there for particle size of cholesterol? I've never heard of that.