The February 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @ceciliaslater I hope the fracture heals up quickley
    @elise4270 sorry about the uneasiness at the park. Nothing worse than wondering how safe you are when all you want to do is run. Stay safe.
    @mobycarp I'm wondering if a electrolyte slushie tastes better than the standard water slushie! Yep that is cold.
    @5beautifuldays that was smart to skip the 5K to make sure you are good for the weekend.
    @stoshew71 I guess I haven't been watching the news, I didn't hear about the shooting
    @honunui love the turtle picture. So we will be there starting Thursday next week in Oahu staying at the Hale Koa. I just can't wait. Made our helicopter tour reservations last night. I'm so excited!!! Allen said I can't believe you haven't registered for a race while we are there, I told him there is still time ha ha
    @kateparry84 you are doing awesome! Keep it up!
    @instantmartian LOL you had me rolling here with your treadmill story, that is me looking all over, playing with the headset and watching this channel on the TV and then that channel, looking at people coming in, trying to figure out why the person in front of me is running in a hoodie when it's 74 degrees in the room ha ha! Anything to take my mind off the treadmill.
    @ddmom0811 if the shoes are that bad I would take them back regardless of having them 2 months. Ouchie
    @7lenny7 beautiful picture, poor Kody!!!
    @morningghost14 wow just beautiful!
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Date Miles today. Miles for February

2/1 7.55 miles - 7.55
    2/2 7.4 miles - 14.95
    2/3 4.5 miles - 19.45
    2/4 7 miles - 26.45
    2/5 REST DAY
    2/6 16 miles - 42.45
    2/7 REST DAY
    2/8 10.5 miles - 52.95
    2/9 7.5 miles - 60.45
    2/9 3.2 miles - 63.65
    2/10 6.4 miles - 70.05
    2/11 7.5 miles - 77.55
    2/12 6.3 miles - 83.85
    2/12 3.3 miles - 87.15 <<< Daily double
    2/13 16 miles - 103.15
    2/14 REST DAY Happy Valentines Day
    2/15 8.1 miles - 111.25 << First run of 2 today

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    UAH Spring Road Race 8K - 3/6
    Oak Barrel HM - 4/2
    Bridge Street HM - 4/10
    Cotton Row Run 10K - 5/30
    Firecracker Chase 10.2 miler - 6/25

• Janet510
    Janet510 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hello, I need to start off by saying, I am not a runner. But I am going to start, I need all the support, tips, whatever you guys have! I need to lose weight and would like to tone up. I have been told running will help tremendously! Feel free to send me a friend request if you like. thank you :)
  • Ericsmi
    Ericsmi Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Goal of 70 Miles for February

2/3 – 3.58 Mi
    2/4 – 3.63 Mi
    2/6 – 4.24 Mi
    2/7 – 6.12 Mi
    2/9 – 4.41 Mi
    2/11 – 5.40 Mi
    2/13 – 4.69 Mi
    2/14 – 7.15 Mi

Progress toward Goal 39.22 / 70
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Janet510 wrote: »
    Hello, I need to start off by saying, I am not a runner. But I am going to start, I need all the support, tips, whatever you guys have! I need to lose weight and would like to tone up. I have been told running will help tremendously! Feel free to send me a friend request if you like. thank you :)

Start slow.
    Lots of people use C25K if you can't run an entire mile non-stop. If you can run a mile or 2, run at a coversational pace until you can run 3 non-stop. Do this 3x a week.
    Well, the doctor diagnosed a stress fracture in my fibula. I'm in a walking boot, and no running for 2 more weeks. I am allowed to take the boot off for cycling, though, so I should be able to keep some of my conditioning, at least. He said I should be able to run my marathon, but may have to run walk it, due to my unplanned time off. At least I'm not totally banned from doing it!

Oh no.
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    So, got my long-run in a day late, but so glad I did it! I haven't run more than 6 miles in over a year, so I'm really happy right now. I didn't think I'd ever be able to train for a half marathon again, but fingers crossed it's going ok. Fingers crossed anyway!

Oh, and I had to pee in a bush half-way round. I'm definitely a proper runner again now, haha! :lol:

@MorningGhost14 That looks gorgeous! Running off the beaten track is always good fun though.
    @ceciliaslater That's bad news about your stress fractures. Fingers crossed for a successful recovery.
    @Janet510 Welcome! You'll be hooked in no time :smile:

2nd February - 40 mins cross-train
    4th February - 3.30 miles
    5th February - 35 mins cross-train
    8th February - 3.20 miles
    10th February - 3.14 miles (dreadmill)
    11th February - 3.26 miles
    12-14th February - away (boyfriend banned me from taking my running shoes!)
    15th February - 7.02 miles

MTD - 19.94/50miles

Upcoming races:
    27th Feb - Richmond Park 10km
    19th Mar - Spring Riverside 10km
    3rd Apr - Paddock Wood Half Marathon
    8th May - Run Hackney Half Marathon
  • MorningGhost14
    MorningGhost14 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    @Janet510 ... the only I advice I have for you is to listen to @Stoshew71
  • MorningGhost14
    Options
    Oh, and I had to pee in a bush half-way round. I'm definitely a proper runner again now, haha! :lol:
    Lol! That is more of a rite of passage than anything...
  • MorningGhost14
    Options
    Well, the doctor diagnosed a stress fracture in my fibula. I'm in a walking boot, and no running for 2 more weeks. I am allowed to take the boot off for cycling, though, so I should be able to keep some of my conditioning, at least. He said I should be able to run my marathon, but may have to run walk it, due to my unplanned time off. At least I'm not totally banned from doing it!
    This is exactly why so people think runners are idiots. Normal people do not go "Oh, guess what? I fractured my leg but I still get to ride my bike and run 26 miles." I remember running a 30k trail race with stress fractures in both feet and wondering why my family was all worked up about it. For some reason runners don't think stress fractures are real fractures. I was like "Chill out mom.... I got a couple oxies, I will be fine." I made it, but it was a hellish run. Good luck... and maybe you want to stash that boot at the mid-point, just in case.
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 - poor Kody! That does look like a good book you recommended to @elise4270. I'm going to read it as well. Everyone tells me I am too predictable with my 4:30am runs but I know everyone who leaves and is out at that time by now, so if I saw someone else then I would know something wasn't right. Of course, what would I do about it... run faster at this point.

@MorningGhost14 - that's not a hill in my part of the country. That's a serious mountain!

@louubelle16 - awesome you got 6 miles in! I predict a HM is in your future. :smile:

@ceciliaslater - oh gosh, that's awful. But like you said, at least you can cycle.

@Janet510 - I started with Couch 2 5K and it was great. I ended up running a 5K when I was not quite done with the program and got quite addicted to running like everyone on here. You will too!

@skippygirlsmom - Have a great time!

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I was like "Chill out mom.... I got a couple oxies, I will be fine."

@MorningGhost14 that is friggin' priceless! Beautiful pix, btw.
    @louubelle16 that's one of the reasons I like running at night. more cover the urge occurs.
    @Elise4270, when I got my carry permit years ago, the training instructor highly recommended the book. I'm glad he did.

• HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    @shanaber : come on down! ...in fact, YA'LL come on down: we'll do a "challenge accepted" Hawaii run...then go snorkeling!
    @skippygirlsmom there is a military 5k on 2/20 just a mile down the street from Hale Koa.....(or are you arriving after that?)
    @7lenny7 How could you resist those Kody-sad-eyes!
    @ceciliaslater ouch.... :/
  • ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    This is exactly why so people think runners are idiots. Normal people do not go "Oh, guess what? I fractured my leg but I still get to ride my bike and run 26 miles." I remember running a 30k trail race with stress fractures in both feet and wondering why my family was all worked up about it. For some reason runners don't think stress fractures are real fractures. I was like "Chill out mom.... I got a couple oxies, I will be fine." I made it, but it was a hellish run. Good luck... and maybe you want to stash that boot at the mid-point, just in case.

Haha! I told my mom about it and her immediate response was, "oh, so no marathon then." And I'm all like "no, I'm doing it. The doctor said it will probably hurt a lot, but since it's just the fibula, it's no big deal. I can handle a little (lot of) pain."

Not sure if that makes me tough or just stupid...
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    the bottom half is my race report and me wearing the challenge shirt. Can't wait to take it out for a test run.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    HonuNui wrote: »
    @shanaber : come on down! ...in fact, YA'LL come on down: we'll do a "challenge accepted" Hawaii run...then go snorkeling!
    @skippygirlsmom there is a military 5k on 2/20 just a mile down the street from Hale Koa.....(or are you arriving after that?)
    @7lenny7 How could you resist those Kody-sad-eyes!
    @ceciliaslater ouch.... :/

@honunui we don't get here until the 25th - bummer
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    2/1: 6 miles with Joe to Go crew
    2/2: 5 miles
    2/3: 7.5 miles
    2/4: 8.2 miles (am), 6 miles (pm) with the Thursday crew
    2/5: Rest day (hallelujah!)
    2/6: 9.5 miles with the Saturday crew
    2/7: 18 miles LR
    2/8: 6.1 miles with Joe to Go crew
    2/9: Rest day
    2/10: 7 miles speedwork (am), 10 miles (pm)
    2/11: 6 miles (am), 6 miles (pm) with the Thursday crew
    2/12: Rest day!
    2/13: 14 miles with Saturday crew
    2/14: 7 miles
    2/15: Rest/lazy day

Didn't get up for my 6 am group because sleeping in sounded nice, but now it's snowing and I don't feel like treadmilling... so I'm moving my run to tomorrow. There are some days when our brains say, "JUST TAKE A DAY OFF!" and for me, today is that day.

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    4/3: Caesar Rodney Half Marathon
    5/1: New Jersey Marathon

• karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    2/1 - Rest day. Semi-planned.
    2/2 - Snow Day
    2/3 - 4 miles on treadmill
    2/4 - 5.1 miles on treadmill (Trek class). Sore knee this morning...hoping it is from shoveling and not running related. Didn't get worse when I ran, so I am going to cautiously push through.
    2/5 - 4 miles on treadmill
    2/6 - Life day...too busy to squeeze in a run :-(
    2/7 - 5.4 windy miles, but warm for Feb.
    2/8 - Another life day. Wife's mother in hospital not well, so she is out of town...gotta get kids to school, etc.
    2/9 - 4 miles on treadmill. Convinced all three kids to go to the Y with me after dinner.
    2/10 - 2/14 - Nothing. :-1: Wife is still out of town. I took kids there to see her and visit my MIL in the hospital over the weekend. Overate a lot of bad hospital cafeteria and fast food. Blech. I feel icky. Getting jealous of everyone's long runs over the weekend.

Also, I had to miss the Red Flannel Run on Saturday. It was 4° F at race time. Still, makes me super sad! It is the unofficial start of spring races around here. On a bright note, I did register for my first 2016 HM today. Now, I just gotta get back to my normal training schedule.

Gonna try to catch up on everyone's posts this afternoon.
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    7c45254eeb4780601a5e1a88be6d5cf8.jpg
    @ceciliaslater Sorry to read about the stress fracture! But at least you weren't ordered to rest completely.

@7lenny7 I hope the rest will cure whatever is wrong with that tendon. Kody's look in that photo is just heart-breaking! Dogs can do the sad puppy-eyes much too convincingly ^^

@MorningGhost14 Bah, who needs a trail when you got a view like that? Impressive "hill"!

@Janet510 Welcome! My first would would also be be to find yourself a run-walk interval program. C25K was already mentioned, but there's a few more out there - I recently fell in love with "Zombies Run", and they also have a 5k trainer app. Or just take a plain interval trainer app and start with "1 min walk/1 min run" for 30 min, with 1min longer running intervals the next week, that's what I did when I started running. Only with a stopwatch instead of an app ;-).
    Make sure you have good running shoes, and run slow. You don't want to sprint, you want to go at a pace where you could still have a conversation without huffing and puffing.
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom - Yikes! That sounds scary! Hope Skip is OK!
    @runner_girl83 - FWIW, I take very short strides. In profile, I don't look very much like a "runner", but the only injury/pain I have ever had is some minor plantar fasciitis and my knees get a little sore when it is time to replace my shoes. Short strides FTW.
    @kateparry84 - Nice distance PR! Congrats!
    @7lenny7 - Those eyes! How can you not cave?
    @ceciliaslater - Oh no! Take care of yourself!
    @louubelle16 - Ha! Been there!
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Lol! That is more of a rite of passage than anything...
    And I can't fathom the idea of winter peeing, because 1) I'd have to undress a couple layers, and 2) I don't want to STOP that long. :)

My name is Dana, and I'm a runner-holic....