Vegruary anyone?

Options

Replies

• angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Wow. So much negativity in this thread!
    Yo, vegans: Eating vegan is not the same as practicing vegan lifestyle. Why the negative nastiness here? No one has to think, believe, or even eat the same way you do in order to do one or the other. You don't get to determine what's better for anyone else, nor are you allowed to dictate how they feel or what they believe.

Angel- Give it a shot and see if it works for you! Some people can go without any animal products in their diets, and some can't. :) (I tried to eat vegan and got very sick- turns out I can't digest soy at all. Who knew?)

Thank you! I cannot eat soy either! But I will do my best!
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Might check this group out for specific advice, etc.: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/45-happy-herbivores

Best of luck to you!

I like this group but how do I I join it? There is no join group button?

As well if you would like to friend request me bc I cannot add anyone or send a message from here please do!

Thank you to all the well wishers and I hope you have a blessed day.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    Might check this group out for specific advice, etc.: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/45-happy-herbivores

Best of luck to you!

I like this group but how do I I join it? There is no join group button?

As well if you would like to friend request me bc I cannot add anyone or send a message from here please do!

Thank you to all the well wishers and I hope you have a blessed day.

Looks like an open group. Post away.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I think it's the whole trial of veganism which many understand to be an ethical decision...how does one trial an ethical decision? That's rather confounding

Also the January version of trialling veganism did not pass unnoticed ...I recall a couple of threads

OP your body your life but theoretically there's a dissonance in the concept of reaching an ethical decision and then 'giving it a go' rather than committing and I believe that's what people are reading and reacting to
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I think it's a great idea to try out the vegan lifestyle for a month. Why not?

Personally, I've felt more satisfied than ever with my new vegan choices, so I can only recommend it. The food will make you feel great (if you eat enough.)
  • hamstertango
    hamstertango Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian of 27 years here (since age 13) no meat no fish for ethical reasons.

No way I could even trial a vegan diet, I've seen people get so sick on it but illness took longer to show than a month.

I think that sort of diet is so strict that one would need the great strength of their feelings and ethics to stick to it and a lot of time and effort required to source a wide range of food that fits into a vegan diet.

I personally do not object to eating dairy, or eggs as that's what the animals naturally produce, I just ensure that I get that produce from sources where the animals are not mistreated in the production I.e. Free range etc.

Hope your trial goes well and will be interested to hear how you get on and what you thought of it.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options

No way I could even trial a vegan diet, I've seen people get so sick on it but illness took longer to show than a month.

I think that sort of diet is so strict that one would need the great strength of their feelings and ethics to stick to it and a lot of time and effort required to source a wide range of food that fits into a vegan diet.

I personally do not object to eating dairy, or eggs as that's what the animals naturally produce, I just ensure that I get that produce from sources where the animals are not mistreated in the production I.e. Free range etc.

Hope your trial goes well and will be interested to hear how you get on and what you thought of it.

I'm not going to get into a debate about the "naturalness" of factory farm practices in the U.S. and some other countries that are adopting our practices. However, I do think it's important to point out that "free range" is fairly meaningless in terms of how the animals are treated. It's more of a marketing ploy than anything that makes much of a real difference. The one thing that a person could hope for is that if the market shows enough demand for "free range" maybe it will push producers to even better practices.

Depending on where a person lives, and if they're interested, they may be able to find local producers who allow people to visit their farms. I also know Whole Foods now has a rating system based on the treatment of animals. I don't know anything about it or whether it's reliable, but it may also be something to look into.
  • simokat241
    simokat241 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I hope you go for it. You won't know how easy or hard it is for you until you give it a go. I think a trial period is a great idea. You can stick with it for a month and then evaluate whether to keep going or make some changes. You'll probably need to focus on this way of eating at first, and then it should get easier. It sounds like you're ready!
  • Cynsonya
    Cynsonya Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    veganbaum wrote: »

However, I do think it's important to point out that "free range" is fairly meaningless in terms of how the animals are treated. It's more of a marketing ploy than anything that makes much of a real difference.

^^Truth^^
  • steph2740
    steph2740 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Seems like you got a lot of negative comments which is unfortunate! Back off people! If she wants to try something out of her comfort zone this should be a place of support. There are many types of vegetarians/vegans out there so if she wants to try the diet side of it lets not jump down her throat about her cosmetics and clothing. Support her in taking a big step in just the diet part which can be hard enough. I am a vegetarian and have been for years, and I never jump down people's throat on what they eat or how they live, I commend you on taking a healthy step, everyone starts somewhere, I wish you all the luck!!!
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    steph2740 wrote: »
    Seems like you got a lot of negative comments which is unfortunate! Back off people! If she wants to try something out of her comfort zone this should be a place of support. There are many types of vegetarians/vegans out there so if she wants to try the diet side of it lets not jump down her throat about her cosmetics and clothing. Support her in taking a big step in just the diet part which can be hard enough. I am a vegetarian and have been for years, and I never jump down people's throat on what they eat or how they live, I commend you on taking a healthy step, everyone starts somewhere, I wish you all the luck!!!

Seems like you perceive negativity when there are simply relevant concepts raised for discussion. Perhaps you should take your own advice.

As for a 'healthy step' - there is nothing innately healthy in the vegan diet over any other diet, it is in fact far harder to reach nutritional requirements and requires immense effort and knowledge. Although there are many vegans on MFP the lifestyle (and it truly is a lifestyle unlike most WOE) is not a 'weight loss strategy' but an ethical / life decision.
  • steph2740
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Seems like you perceive negativity when there are simply relevant concepts raised for discussion. Perhaps you should take your own advice.

As for a 'healthy step' - there is nothing innately healthy in the vegan diet over any other diet, it is in fact far harder to reach nutritional requirements and requires immense effort and knowledge. Although there are many vegans on MFP the lifestyle (and it truly is a lifestyle unlike most WOE) is not a 'weight loss strategy' but an ethical / life decision.

All I'm saying is if she wants to try something we should show her support rather than try and "educate" her as if she hasn't done any research. I am sure she can do all of that on her own. If people really believe in this lifestyle I would imagine you all started somewhere and maybe this is her starting ground. Some things are easier for people than others and some people have to tackle one thing at a time so maybe diet is her first step. Just saying we should kindly support or just move one of you don't. I don't understand people getting into crazy debates online, we're all here on our own journies trying to figure out what works best for us, let's just try and stay positive. ✌️
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

All I'm saying is if she wants to try something we should show her support rather than try and "educate" her as if she hasn't done any research. I am sure she can do all of that on her own. If people really believe in this lifestyle I would imagine you all started somewhere and maybe this is her starting ground. Some things are easier for people than others and some people have to tackle one thing at a time so maybe diet is her first step. Just saying we should kindly support or just move one of you don't. I don't understand people getting into crazy debates online, we're all here on our own journies trying to figure out what works best for us, let's just try and stay positive. ✌️

Nobody is being unsupportive, this board is for "General Help and Advice" - Motivation and Support is down a bit

And to be honest, and not wishing to unduly rain on your parade here, but we don't all like or respond to supportive cheers as the default response. In fact I'm personally here for the crazy debates because they keep me focused, interested and stretch my knowledge.

If anybody whoops me ...well just don't ok? :wink:
  • steph2740
    Options
    I only started this thread to see if anyone else was going to try it as was pored numerous threads in January as veganuary. Nobody gave them a hard time. I do know what being a vegan is. I do know you can be a junk food vegan. I do know about products and clothing ( which I already use, I do not own animal clothing, I do not have any leather. I do not use any animal tested products or things with animal products in them for quite some time now. But thanks for your concern.

I am doing it for myself. And a way to completely motivate myself is to challenge myself. If I feel I cannot commit I will be vegetarian as I had been one before. I have had a feeling this is what I need to do. I especially felt the need knowing the truth of what happens to animals.

I only was seeking support from other like minded people.

I support you! Also just added you :) don't get discouraged!
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    kkenseth wrote: »
    When it comes to an ethical decision about animal products, you're all in or all out, right? I mean, how do you decide to go back to eating and using animal products after deciding that that's unethical?

I'm really confused by that.

I was a vegan for a few years. The more I learned, the less food choices I had (I practically lived on TVP!) At the time, supermarkets were dipping apples in beef fat to make them shiny so even fruit was limited, and as for wine - curse you finings made from fish swim bladders!

My decision to go back to a more omnivorous diet was prompted by a holiday in Corfu. All the food labels were written in Greek and I couldn't understand them. In my head, that translated to "eat all the bacon" :-)
  • angellll12
    angellll12 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    OP. Cool idea. My diet consists of mainly veggies already.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    kkenseth wrote: »
    When it comes to an ethical decision about animal products, you're all in or all out, right? I mean, how do you decide to go back to eating and using animal products after deciding that that's unethical?

I'm really confused by that.

I was a vegan for a few years. The more I learned, the less food choices I had (I practically lived on TVP!) At the time, supermarkets were dipping apples in beef fat to make them shiny so even fruit was limited, and as for wine - curse you finings made from fish swim bladders!

My decision to go back to a more omnivorous diet was prompted by a holiday in Corfu. All the food labels were written in Greek and I couldn't understand them. In my head, that translated to "eat all the bacon" :-)

Vegan thread took 2 pages to get to mention of bacon

:smiley:
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Sorry one of my meds is made using mouse proteins and I don't want to go off it so no veganism for me

Veganism is avoiding animal products to the extent that it is possible. You wouldn't have to give up your medicine to become vegan.
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Hehehe most of my vegetarian and vegan friends missed bacon the most. There were nowhere near as many vegan options for food in the early '80s as there are now.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Hi I am trying out vegan for the month of feb bc I couldn't commit in Jan. But I am ready! Anybody else?

Why are you "trying out" veganism? It is not a way of eating (that is vegetarianism) it is a way of life where you use no animal products, in any form. No meat, eggs, or dairy; no silk, wool, or leather; no honey or beeswax; nothing made from or made by animals.