Vegruary anyone?

Options

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Hi I am trying out vegan for the month of feb bc I couldn't commit in Jan. But I am ready! Anybody else?

Why are you "trying out" veganism? It is not a way of eating (that is vegetarianism) it is a way of life where you use no animal products, in any form. No meat, eggs, or dairy; no silk, wool, or leather; no honey or beeswax; nothing made from or made by animals.

If you look a subsequent posts, you'll see that OP realizes the lifestyle and ethical ramifications of veganism. She's just starting with a month of it. It's actually a pretty common way for people to get into the lifestyle.

I started with a two-week challenge because I thought it would be so hard that I could never sustain it. I wanted to prove to myself that it was impossible. But it wasn't that hard and ten years later, here I am.
  • angellll12
    angellll12 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Hi I am trying out vegan for the month of feb bc I couldn't commit in Jan. But I am ready! Anybody else?

Why are you "trying out" veganism? It is not a way of eating (that is vegetarianism) it is a way of life where you use no animal products, in any form. No meat, eggs, or dairy; no silk, wool, or leather; no honey or beeswax; nothing made from or made by animals.

It is just a way of eating for some people.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    angellll12 wrote: »

If someone just avoids animal products in their food, but is okay with animal exploitation and suffering for clothing, entertainment, health & beauty products, etc, then they are on a plant-based diet. Veganism is an ethical position on animal exploitation.
  • angellll12
    angellll12 Posts: 296 Member
    Options

If someone just avoids animal products in their food, but is okay with animal exploitation and suffering for clothing, entertainment, health & beauty products, etc, then they are on a plant-based diet. Veganism is an ethical position on animal exploitation.

Nope I'm not that serious about it.

OP. In veganism month are we suppose purchase new makeup soaps and clothes? Or is it just a food kind of thing?
  • janejellyroll
    Options

OP. In veganism month are we suppose purchase new makeup soaps and clothes? Or is it just a food kind of thing?

Nobody said *you* have to be serious about it. But in order to be vegan, you do need to take animal exploitation seriously. It's what the word means. If you don't want to be one, then don't.

• vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    veganbaum wrote: »
    However, I do think it's important to point out that "free range" is fairly meaningless in terms of how the animals are treated. It's more of a marketing ploy than anything that makes much of a real difference.

Well, this is depressing, but not surprising.

I wonder about the eggs I've seen in Whole Foods (for a very hefty price tag) that state on the packaging: "Our girls roam in the sunshine and grass" - (referring to the hens) - just another load of spin?

I've switched to buying organic free-range eggs. If we can't trust the packaging to mean anything, what's the point? Sigh.

• janejellyroll
    Options
    vivmom2014 wrote: »
    However, I do think it's important to point out that "free range" is fairly meaningless in terms of how the animals are treated. It's more of a marketing ploy than anything that makes much of a real difference.

I wonder about the eggs I've seen in Whole Foods (for a very hefty price tag) that state on the packaging: "Our girls roam in the sunshine and grass" - (referring to the hens) - just another load of spin?

I've switched to buying organic free-range eggs. If we can't trust the packaging to mean anything, what's the point? Sigh.

Unless there is a legal definition attached to it, I'd assume that it is spin.

It's like the "Real California Dairy" ads where they show the cows out in the field having a grand old time. Not the life of most California dairy cows, unfortunately.
  • Cynsonya
    Cynsonya Posts: 668 Member
    Options

Buy pasture raised. That's the only true "free range". About $5 a dozen where I live.
  • Cobourg
    Cobourg Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    eating plant based is difficult. I tried to but my vitamin B levels became low and I had no energy. I don't eat meat everyday and buy organic free range chicken and pork. My fish is either organic or wild. Good luck in your vegan journey.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    Cobourg wrote: »
    eating plant based is difficult. I tried to but my vitamin B levels became low and I had no energy. I don't eat meat everyday and buy organic free range chicken and pork. My fish is either organic or wild. Good luck in your vegan journey.

Supplementing B12 (or eating fortified foods) is always recommended for vegans, as there are no plant sources of this vitamin.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Vegans don't wear any clothing or use any products that are made from animals too. It's not just a food thing

What are people that follow a vegan diet but use other animal products called, if not vegan?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,986 Member
    Options

I imagine they add "Our girls roam in the sunshine and grass" because "free-range" alone is meaningless. "Our girls roam in the sunshine and grass" is what free-range should mean.

Here's more info on the practices of a few brands sold at Whole Foods: http://vitalfarms.com/pasture-raised-eggs/our-eggs/
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    Vegans don't wear any clothing or use any products that are made from animals too. It's not just a food thing

What are people that follow a vegan diet but use other animal products called, if not vegan?

They're on a plant-based diet.
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options

Some call them "dietary vegans", but to me they are vegetarians. Even though I'm not vegan now, I can't get my head around caring about animal exploitation for eating but not caring about animal exploitation for clothing etc.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    Thank you @janejellyroll @Cynsonya @kshama2001 for the replies. I need to read up more on what, exactly, "free range" means. It sounds *so* good, doesn't it? If it sounds too good to be true...
  • kshama2001
    Options

The vegans I know IRL transitioned slowly. They were vegetarians first and gradually phased out everything else that was a product of animal exploitation. But people can do this any way that works for them.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    Cynsonya wrote: »

Buy pasture raised. That's the only true "free range". About $5 a dozen where I live.

I don't believe there is a legal definition of "pasture raised" either. Some organizations like HFAC have certification programs but just seeing "pasture raised" isn't necessarily a guarantee of anything.
  • kshama2001
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Thank you @janejellyroll @Cynsonya @kshama2001 for the replies. I need to read up more on what, exactly, "free range" means. It sounds *so* good, doesn't it? If it sounds too good to be true...

I started buying free range chickens after learning about debeaking.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_range

...Free-range poultry

In poultry-keeping, "free range" is widely confused with yarding, which means keeping poultry in fenced yards. Yarding, as well as floorless portable chicken pens ("chicken tractors") may have some of the benefits of free-range livestock but, in reality, the methods have little in common with the free-range method.

A behavioral definition of free range is perhaps the most useful: "chickens kept with a fence that restricts their movements very little." This has practical implications. For example, according to Jull, "The most effective measure of preventing cannibalism seems to be to give the birds good grass range."[5] De-beaking was invented to prevent cannibalism for birds not on free range, and the need for de-beaking can be seen as a litmus test for whether the chickens' environment is sufficiently "free-range-like."

The U.S. Department of Agriculture Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) requires that chickens raised for their meat have access to the outside in order to receive the free-range certification.[6] There is no requirement for access to pasture, and there may be access to only dirt or gravel . Free-range chicken eggs, however, have no legal definition in the United States. Likewise, free-range egg producers have no common standard on what the term means.

The broadness of "free range" in the U.S. has caused some people to look for alternative terms. "Pastured poultry" is a term promoted by farmer/author Joel Salatin for broiler chickens raised on grass pasture for all of their lives except for the initial brooding period. The Pastured Poultry concept is promoted by the American Pastured Poultry Producers' Association (APPPA),[7] an organization of farmers raising their poultry using Salatin's principles.

Alternative terminology can also be used to make high-density confinement sound more palatable. For example: cage-free, free-running, free-roaming, naturally nested, etc. are used as an alternative to the technical term, high-density floor confinement. Whether high-density floor confinement is more humane than high-density cage confinement is arguable, but in any event, high-density confinement (of whatever type) is the antithesis of free range.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Then you aren't vegan or "trying out" veganism. I think OP does want to see how a vegan lifestyle would work for her.

Nothing wrong with doing a plant-based diet for a month if you want and if you do it healthfully (which involves more than cutting out meat, eggs, and dairy).
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

They're on a plant-based diet.

LOL Really? I sometimes refer to my diet plant based because the bulk of diet is plants, but I still eat meat.

Plant-based seems odd for a diet that is all plants.