Vegruary anyone?

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    vivmom2014 wrote: »
    veganbaum wrote: »
    However, I do think it's important to point out that "free range" is fairly meaningless in terms of how the animals are treated. It's more of a marketing ploy than anything that makes much of a real difference.

Well, this is depressing, but not surprising.

I wonder about the eggs I've seen in Whole Foods (for a very hefty price tag) that state on the packaging: "Our girls roam in the sunshine and grass" - (referring to the hens) - just another load of spin?

I've switched to buying organic free-range eggs. If we can't trust the packaging to mean anything, what's the point? Sigh.

I get my eggs from a local farm for that reason. Most of the labels on eggs are meaningless and the eggs tend to come from mega-producers of organics who aren't that different in their practices. You can probably research the different brands at your WF and find out if some are better.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Vegans don't wear any clothing or use any products that are made from animals too. It's not just a food thing

What are people that follow a vegan diet but use other animal products called, if not vegan?

They're on a plant-based diet.

Yes, this is my understanding of the terminology as well, and it seems pretty well understood around me, even by non vegans (which is why I'm piping in).

I'm in a big city, so maybe the distinctions are less commonly understood elsewhere by people not invested in veganism?
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Thank you @janejellyroll @Cynsonya @kshama2001 for the replies. I need to read up more on what, exactly, "free range" means. It sounds *so* good, doesn't it? If it sounds too good to be true...

I started buying free range chickens after learning about debeaking.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_range

...Free-range poultry

In poultry-keeping, "free range" is widely confused with yarding, which means keeping poultry in fenced yards. Yarding, as well as floorless portable chicken pens ("chicken tractors") may have some of the benefits of free-range livestock but, in reality, the methods have little in common with the free-range method.

A behavioral definition of free range is perhaps the most useful: "chickens kept with a fence that restricts their movements very little." This has practical implications. For example, according to Jull, "The most effective measure of preventing cannibalism seems to be to give the birds good grass range."[5] De-beaking was invented to prevent cannibalism for birds not on free range, and the need for de-beaking can be seen as a litmus test for whether the chickens' environment is sufficiently "free-range-like."

The U.S. Department of Agriculture Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) requires that chickens raised for their meat have access to the outside in order to receive the free-range certification.[6] There is no requirement for access to pasture, and there may be access to only dirt or gravel . Free-range chicken eggs, however, have no legal definition in the United States. Likewise, free-range egg producers have no common standard on what the term means.

The broadness of "free range" in the U.S. has caused some people to look for alternative terms. "Pastured poultry" is a term promoted by farmer/author Joel Salatin for broiler chickens raised on grass pasture for all of their lives except for the initial brooding period. The Pastured Poultry concept is promoted by the American Pastured Poultry Producers' Association (APPPA),[7] an organization of farmers raising their poultry using Salatin's principles.

Alternative terminology can also be used to make high-density confinement sound more palatable. For example: cage-free, free-running, free-roaming, naturally nested, etc. are used as an alternative to the technical term, high-density floor confinement. Whether high-density floor confinement is more humane than high-density cage confinement is arguable, but in any event, high-density confinement (of whatever type) is the antithesis of free range.

Thanks! But: :'(

I admire vegans. I am making only small changes (stopped eating meat in November of 2014), but I guess it's something. Lame? Perhaps. But, again, it's something. We can all only start somewhere.

• angellll12
    angellll12 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    angellll12 wrote: »
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Hi I am trying out vegan for the month of feb bc I couldn't commit in Jan. But I am ready! Anybody else?

Why are you "trying out" veganism? It is not a way of eating (that is vegetarianism) it is a way of life where you use no animal products, in any form. No meat, eggs, or dairy; no silk, wool, or leather; no honey or beeswax; nothing made from or made by animals.

It is just a way of eating for some people.

If someone just avoids animal products in their food, but is okay with animal exploitation and suffering for clothing, entertainment, health & beauty products, etc, then they are on a plant-based diet. Veganism is an ethical position on animal exploitation.

Nope I'm not that serious about it.

Then you aren't vegan or "trying out" veganism. I think OP does want to see how a vegan lifestyle would work for her.

Nothing wrong with doing a plant-based diet for a month if you want and if you do it healthfully (which involves more than cutting out meat, eggs, and dairy).

I just want to see what the diet will do for me.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Vegans don't wear any clothing or use any products that are made from animals too. It's not just a food thing

What are people that follow a vegan diet but use other animal products called, if not vegan?

Yes, this is my understanding of the terminology as well, and it seems pretty well understood around me, even by non vegans (which is why I'm piping in).

I'm in a big city, so maybe the distinctions are less commonly understood elsewhere by people not invested in veganism?

Yeah, I think there is still a lot of confusion around what the various terms mean.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    Thank you @janejellyroll @Cynsonya @kshama2001 for the replies. I need to read up more on what, exactly, "free range" means. It sounds *so* good, doesn't it? If it sounds too good to be true...

...Free-range poultry

In poultry-keeping, "free range" is widely confused with yarding, which means keeping poultry in fenced yards. Yarding, as well as floorless portable chicken pens ("chicken tractors") may have some of the benefits of free-range livestock but, in reality, the methods have little in common with the free-range method.

A behavioral definition of free range is perhaps the most useful: "chickens kept with a fence that restricts their movements very little." This has practical implications. For example, according to Jull, "The most effective measure of preventing cannibalism seems to be to give the birds good grass range."[5] De-beaking was invented to prevent cannibalism for birds not on free range, and the need for de-beaking can be seen as a litmus test for whether the chickens' environment is sufficiently "free-range-like."

The U.S. Department of Agriculture Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) requires that chickens raised for their meat have access to the outside in order to receive the free-range certification.[6] There is no requirement for access to pasture, and there may be access to only dirt or gravel . Free-range chicken eggs, however, have no legal definition in the United States. Likewise, free-range egg producers have no common standard on what the term means.

The broadness of "free range" in the U.S. has caused some people to look for alternative terms. "Pastured poultry" is a term promoted by farmer/author Joel Salatin for broiler chickens raised on grass pasture for all of their lives except for the initial brooding period. The Pastured Poultry concept is promoted by the American Pastured Poultry Producers' Association (APPPA),[7] an organization of farmers raising their poultry using Salatin's principles.

Alternative terminology can also be used to make high-density confinement sound more palatable. For example: cage-free, free-running, free-roaming, naturally nested, etc. are used as an alternative to the technical term, high-density floor confinement. Whether high-density floor confinement is more humane than high-density cage confinement is arguable, but in any event, high-density confinement (of whatever type) is the antithesis of free range.

I admire vegans. I am making only small changes (stopped eating meat in November of 2014), but I guess it's something. Lame? Perhaps. But, again, it's something. We can all only start somewhere.

I don't think it is lame at all.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options

...Free-range poultry

Thanks. My daughter reminds me that consuming dairy from the grocery store is still egregious, and I know this. I'm working on it!

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    Hi I am trying out vegan for the month of feb bc I couldn't commit in Jan. But I am ready! Anybody else?

Why are you "trying out" veganism? It is not a way of eating (that is vegetarianism) it is a way of life where you use no animal products, in any form. No meat, eggs, or dairy; no silk, wool, or leather; no honey or beeswax; nothing made from or made by animals.

If someone just avoids animal products in their food, but is okay with animal exploitation and suffering for clothing, entertainment, health & beauty products, etc, then they are on a plant-based diet. Veganism is an ethical position on animal exploitation.

Then you aren't vegan or "trying out" veganism. I think OP does want to see how a vegan lifestyle would work for her.

Nothing wrong with doing a plant-based diet for a month if you want and if you do it healthfully (which involves more than cutting out meat, eggs, and dairy).

Being vegan would be much easier if you were behind the philosophy that exploiting animals is bad.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options

...Free-range poultry

Thanks. My daughter reminds me that consuming dairy from the grocery store is still egregious, and I know this. I'm working on it!

I'm really happy to live near a dairy farm where I can see the cows outside on the pasture. I stopped buying organic milk from the supermarket and am buying this instead.

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options

Yeah, I think there is still a lot of confusion around what the various terms mean.

Because some group or other is always (re)defining some term. "Plant-based" sounds more like Michael Pollan's "Eat food ... mostly plants" way of eating than a vegan diet, which already has a name.
  • janejellyroll
    edited February 2016
    Options

Because some group or other is always (re)defining some term. "Plant-based" sounds more like Michael Pollan's "Eat food ... mostly plants" way of eating than a vegan diet, which already has a name.

But veganism isn't a diet. It's an ethical position. A diet with few to no animal products is a plant-based diet.

It sounds like you want a name for a diet that is mostly plants. I don't think there is a name for that yet.

If you're opposed to redefinition, it's worth noting that veganism was initially coined as a way to describe the ethical position. People wanting it to refer to only diet is a relatively new development.

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

Vegetarians
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

But veganism isn't a diet. It's an ethical position. A diet with few to no animal products is a plant-based diet.

It sounds like you want a name for a diet that is mostly plants. I don't think there is a name for that yet.

If you're opposed to redefinition, it's worth noting that veganism was initially coined as a way to describe the ethical position. People wanting it to refer to only diet is a relatively new development.

I don't really care what people call their diets. I just find it amusing. I mostly just call my diet 'food'. ;)
  • lemurcat12
    edited February 2016
    Options

Plant-based is a newer term, I think, but not as a replacement for "non-ethical veganism" (which has never been a thing given the history of the term "vegan," as you said) but to replace vegetarianism (or non-ovo-lacto-vegetarian). I'm old enough to recall when people would specify "ovo-lacto-vegetarian" to indicate that they would eat eggs and dairy, and without it you thought perhaps they did not.

These days, of course, if I bought a recipe book that called itself "Plant-Based Recipes" (and I probably have one or two), I'd expect it to include recipes without animal products, period.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

Plant-based is a newer term, I think, but not as a replacement for "non-ethical veganism" (which has never been a thing given the history of the term "vegan," as you said) but to replace vegetarianism (or non-ovo-lacto-vegetarian). I'm old enough to recall when people would specify "ovo-lacto-vegetarian" to indicate that they would eat eggs and dairy, and without it you thought perhaps they did not.

These days, of course, if I bought a recipe book that called itself "Plant-Based Recipes" (and I probably have one or two), I'd expect it to include recipes without animal products, period.

I think plant-based is meant to cover all the people who are into "The China Study" and "Knives over Forks" and all that stuff, people who are cutting animal products from the diet for health reasons, but aren't necessarily concerned with animals. But I agree that it is often used to cover vegetarianism as well.
  • angellll12
    angellll12 Posts: 296 Member
    Options

Being vegan would be much easier if you were behind the philosophy that exploiting animals is bad.

Easier how? To stick with the diet?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

I think plant-based is meant to cover all the people who are into "The China Study" and "Knives over Forks" and all that stuff, people who are cutting animal products from the diet for health reasons, but aren't necessarily concerned with animals. But I agree that it is often used to cover vegetarianism as well.

What do we call those that care about animal welfare enough to want them raised humanely but still eat them? Ethical omnivores?
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

Easier how? To stick with the diet?

I think you are missing the point. Veganism is not a diet, per se. It is a lifestyle that is based on an ethical choice to avoid animal exploitation in all aspects of your life. What is your hypothesis as to what this "diet" will do for you? What made you want to try it in the first place? What sorts of food do you eat now? Do you eat meat? Do you eat other animal products?
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    kkenseth wrote: »
    When it comes to an ethical decision about animal products, you're all in or all out, right? I mean, how do you decide to go back to eating and using animal products after deciding that that's unethical?

I'm really confused by that.

I was a vegan for a few years. The more I learned, the less food choices I had (I practically lived on TVP!) At the time, supermarkets were dipping apples in beef fat to make them shiny so even fruit was limited, and as for wine - curse you finings made from fish swim bladders!

My decision to go back to a more omnivorous diet was prompted by a holiday in Corfu. All the food labels were written in Greek and I couldn't understand them. In my head, that translated to "eat all the bacon" :-)

Lol! Bacon I so love bacon❤️ good thing I know a good replacement! Well I can see it getting all crazy with this thing and that thing having some animal thing in it. I'm not going to drive myself crazy over it.

If it preferred I say plant based diet then so be it. The bottom line is do what feels right to you, if it does not feel right to me I simply can be a vegetarian but probably not consume animal foods. As for the ethical reasons stance well it is my way to help the environment so should I again consume those products it would be as a side dish a treat on occasion. With the foods being raised farm fresh from a farmer I know. I could really only go back on that ethical decision for health reasons. I can't foretell the future but I know as I prepped myself by eating more vegetarian and vegan I felt better and my body started to function better.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options

This has been covered earlier in this thread.