Vegruary anyone?

Options
Hi I am trying out vegan for the month of feb bc I couldn't commit in Jan. But I am ready! Anybody else?

Replies

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Why do this if only for a month? And if you couldn't commit to Jan, what makes you think you can commit to feb?
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Isn't being vegan an ethical sort of thing?
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Because I feel I am prepared. I had to get mentally in the right space. I want to commit a month to see if I can. And if I can I will continue on. Lots of people try out things to see if they can otherwise we would have no challenges in life. But thanks for your vote of confidence there and your upbeat attitude.

I don't care to spend time with individuals who cannot be open minded to new things in life. I embrace life and health and I am merely attempting to better my self understanding and body mind and spirit. I have felt a pull to this lifestyle but felt torn like I would fail bc I like meat. But I now know the feelings outweigh the fear and I can at least try. I can do anything for 30 days, and I will.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Vegans don't wear any clothing or use any products that are made from animals too. It's not just a food thing
  • angelexperiment
    Options
    Yes I know I did my research.
  • singingflutelady
    Options
    Cool. Didn't know if you were giving up that stuff too
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    But the point is, 30 days to see if you want to do no harm to animals. You can't do it after 30 days, back to eating flesh.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Cool. Didn't know if you were giving up that stuff too

I was going to ask about that. OP, will you get rid of any leather you own? Or just not wear it for the month? Have you investigated (and purchased) vegan makeup and toiletries?
  • singingflutelady
    Options
    Sorry one of my meds is made using mouse proteins and I don't want to go off it so no veganism for me
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Isn't being vegan an ethical sort of thing?

Yes it is which is why I am confused about "just a month".
    Vegans don't wear any clothing or use any products that are made from animals too. It's not just a food thing

This 100%.
    Because I feel I am prepared. I had to get mentally in the right space. I want to commit a month to see if I can. And if I can I will continue on. Lots of people try out things to see if they can otherwise we would have no challenges in life. But thanks for your vote of confidence there and your upbeat attitude.

I don't care to spend time with individuals who cannot be open minded to new things in life. I embrace life and health and I am merely attempting to better my self understanding and body mind and spirit. I have felt a pull to this lifestyle but felt torn like I would fail bc I like meat. But I now know the feelings outweigh the fear and I can at least try. I can do anything for 30 days, and I will.

Vegan is not necessarily healthier than alternatives (like eating meat). After all, Oreos are technically vegan. The reason I said anything is because veganism is more than just about not eating meat, it is an ethical position that revolves around a lifestyle of avoiding animal products. Meaning you will likely have to change your shampoo, conditioner, lotions, bath products, some of your clothing, cleaning products etc.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I'm all in favor of plant based diets, if they're well balanced. I guess, like others, I'm trying to get at the "why" of your goal. If the goal is simply to see if you can do it... well, okay. Good luck!

But it would help if we knew why you were doing it.

Again, I'm in favor of plant based diets. My spouse is (mostly) vegetarian.
  • angelexperiment
    Options
    I only started this thread to see if anyone else was going to try it as was pored numerous threads in January as veganuary. Nobody gave them a hard time. I do know what being a vegan is. I do know you can be a junk food vegan. I do know about products and clothing ( which I already use, I do not own animal clothing, I do not have any leather. I do not use any animal tested products or things with animal products in them for quite some time now. But thanks for your concern.

I am doing it for myself. And a way to completely motivate myself is to challenge myself. If I feel I cannot commit I will be vegetarian as I had been one before. I have had a feeling this is what I need to do. I especially felt the need knowing the truth of what happens to animals.

I only was seeking support from other like minded people.
  • angelexperiment
    Options
    I'm all in favor of plant based diets, if they're well balanced. I guess, like others, I'm trying to get at the "why" of your goal. If the goal is simply to see if you can do it... well, okay. Good luck!

Why? Because I feel I should. I do not merely want to try it out. But for me it is the animals, and I love them. I was feeling so bad to eat them and to look at the carcasses and smell them every day (my job). I tho enjoyed the taste of them so I had to come up with a way to trick myself away ( thus the 30 day on goal) to get started. It just goes with the way I live and for ethical emotional spiritual and mental and dietary reasons. If that explains it.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

Why? Because I feel I should. I do not merely want to try it out. But for me it is the animals, and I love them. I was feeling so bad to eat them and to look at the carcasses and smell them every day (my job). I tho enjoyed the taste of them so I had to come up with a way to trick myself away ( thus the 30 day on goal) to get started. It just goes with the way I live and for ethical emotional spiritual and mental and dietary reasons. If that explains it.

Best of luck with your journey.
  • angelexperiment
    Options
    And my husband is a vegetarian too and it would make life easier in that way.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    You clearly have more than weightloss on your mind with this challenge. I agree that it's important for us to grow as individuals by challenging ourselves, whatever that challenge may be.

While I appreciate the candidness with which many posters respond, it seems like anytime many posters see a time limit on something (or a going veg*n thread in which the poster has not made it clear whether it is an ethical or health-based - as in intolerances/allergies - decision), they jump all over it with a "what happens after x days?" or, "only CICO is needed for weightloss." That generally makes sense on this site, because there are a lot of uninformed people out there looking for quick fixes and thinking if they just do x for a period of time, they'll lose the weight and be able to get back to their life. I'd suggest just trying not to take it personally.

I will say that I also appreciate the way in which you are looking at it - from an ethical, emotional, spiritual, and mental perspective. I was vegetarian for years when I was younger. Then went back to being omni, though I still tried to be conscious of the products I was buying in terms of animal ingredients and testing. Then, years after that, I went vegan. I can tell you that it cleared something for me spiritually and mentally. I'm not saying that will happen for you, but I can understand how those aspects may tie into it. It can go much deeper than just fueling our physical bodies.

Good luck to you.
  • raulsgirl75
    raulsgirl75 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Wow .. So much criticism and roadblocks for somebody who is at least willing to give it a try. Just do your best any thing moving in the right direction, even just trying it for a month is better than nothing . Who knows during that month you may find its not as hard as you once thought. I don't think many vegans had it all perfect ( or ever do ) there first day. Also if the meds you take have animal products and you can't give them up then keep them . Just get rid of what you can that has animal products . It's better than what you were doing .
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    OP, you should check for groups--I'm sure there are some here for vegans/vegetarians. Good luck! :blush:
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    So uh, that soap you like to make ... it's going to be vegan as well, right? And your crocheting is going to be strictly acrylic yarn?
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    When it comes to an ethical decision about animal products, you're all in or all out, right? I mean, how do you decide to go back to eating and using animal products after deciding that that's unethical?

I'm really confused by that.