My coworker belives in magic! :(

Options
13»

Replies

• cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Being assertive toward someone who is pestering you is not rude - you are not an evil person if you are just forthright with her and tell her you are definitely not interested in her product, and that you want her to stop trying to sell it to you. If she does not stop, tell her you will advise management of her abuse of company time. Stand up for your self, go ahead and unfriend her on facebook! What kind of a real friend is she if she is just trying to exploit you with some lameass product? "Friend" should have a special meaning in everyones life, not based on convenience or exploitation for one party.
  • Redbeard333
    Redbeard333 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Two of my former students that I'm connected to on FB are marketing that junk. Almost every single day they post how great they feel, or how they can now spend time with their s.o. because of "ItWorks!" or "Plexus". The "ItWorks!" girl has been using her stuff for 8 months and I haven't seen any difference from the pics she posts...
  • tara_means_star
    tara_means_star Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    Two of my former students that I'm connected to on FB are marketing that junk. Almost every single day they post how great they feel, or how they can now spend time with their s.o. because of "ItWorks!" or "Plexus". The "ItWorks!" girl has been using her stuff for 8 months and I haven't seen any difference from the pics she posts...

lol the evil side of me would love to see her reaction if someone pointed out that she's been using it for 8 months and there is not a discernible change for her...
  • tara_means_star
    Options
    OP, the take away I'm getting from the responses here is that it's a good idea for you to become very respectfully blunt with her. You've said no and now is the time to point out that she's asked you X many times and you've said no X many times and frankly your not sure why she keeps asking and that you find it rude. If that doesn't help, then speaking to higher ups is a good next step.

That's my take away, anyway. Do you guys feel that is a fair consensus of the info provided here?
  • walk2health4me
    walk2health4me Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    very easy you keep a small simple note book by your desk every time she comes over trying to sell her crap you log in on the notebook the date time and if you have your phone nearby you take a photo of her badgering you at your desk then when she ask what your doing you tell her your keeping a log of her harassment commando sale tactics for _______________ (fill in blank) cavil court law suit ,HR, lawyer, district office, keep logging in her unwanted visits..they will soon stop...always wave the paper trail in their face, keep second log book at home,
  • Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    Options
    Tell them you tried it before and it gave you the squirts and bad cramps.
  • tara_means_star
    Options
    Bruceapple wrote: »
    Tell them you tried it before and it gave you the squirts and bad cramps.

If you tell her that make sure there are a TON of other people listening :naughty:
  • ames105
    ames105 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    mweckler wrote: »
    I am terribly saddened by the misleading title of your post. I was hoping your co-worker thought they were a wizard of some kind.

Awesome! Me too! :smiley:
  • MrsSorenson
    MrsSorenson Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I would say be kind, and just tell them upfront that "different strokes for different folks" You do not want to use the product, but thanks for thinking of you.

I know how exciting it is to use a product that works, when you felt like nothing ever would. So they can't help but be excited. If it isn't your thing, its no problem. I have been asked to use numerous magical products for weight loss, and I listen and then tell them I'll let them know if I ever choose to, but for now, I'm doing what I know works for me.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    Nuke_64 wrote: »
    qpmomma1 wrote: »
    pondee629 wrote: »
    I'm not being harassed, they are just being annoying...

Gee, an annoying co-worker. How so very odd. Whenever you see this person coming just tell him/her that you're not interested and get back to your work.

I know, right?!? Seriously odd! ;) Trust me, I take your "advice" daily.

If you tell her daily that you aren't interested, she's harassing you.

Yes, every day this person is in the office. I may have a talk with my boss about it.

I'd just confront the person. I find it better to talk to a person directly about what they are doing as opposed to going the boss--especially if they are likely to find it was you "who told on them."

I'd say, "Dude, I'm not interested. In fact, I think products like that are pyramid schemes preying on the hopes of overweight people to lose weight. I find you efforts to sell such a product at work to be unprofessional."
    puffbrat wrote: »
    You could try being blunt and say "I have told you I am not interested. I am done talking with you about this." Then actually turn around and walk away/go back to work. After that, just ignore her when she brings it up again. If you refuse to engage, she should eventually get tired of talking to a wall and give up.

Sometimes in the interest of being nice, people, especially women, aren't clear when they aren't interested. I would try something like the above before talking to the boss.
  • qpmomma1
    qpmomma1 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    I accepted a FB friend request by a coworker. I don't normally do it, but I went ahead. Every post this person makes is about selling some magic weight loss supplement. I'm pretty sure I was only friended to be marketed to. This person also brought in samples of a product into the office yesterday. I obviously declined. I have unfollowed them so I don't see the annoying posts, but now they are constantly wanting to talk about these "amazing" weight loss products. I am going to go off sooner or later. I have made it clear that I am not interested at all in these products. How do you deal with the pushy people in your life who try to sell you crap?????

I don't accept them as friends on Facebook.

Right, talking about real world though lol
  • qpmomma1
    Options
    Also, I do tell this person "no". They just won't take "no" for an answer.
  • qpmomma1
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Nuke_64 wrote: »
    pondee629 wrote: »
    I'm not being harassed, they are just being annoying...

Gee, an annoying co-worker. How so very odd. Whenever you see this person coming just tell him/her that you're not interested and get back to your work.

I know, right?!? Seriously odd! ;) Trust me, I take your "advice" daily.

If you tell her daily that you aren't interested, she's harassing you.

Yes, every day this person is in the office. I may have a talk with my boss about it.

I'd just confront the person. I find it better to talk to a person directly about what they are doing as opposed to going the boss--especially if they are likely to find it was you "who told on them."

I'd say, "Dude, I'm not interested. In fact, I think products like that are pyramid schemes preying on the hopes of overweight people to lose weight. I find you efforts to sell such a product at work to be unprofessional."
    puffbrat wrote: »
    You could try being blunt and say "I have told you I am not interested. I am done talking with you about this." Then actually turn around and walk away/go back to work. After that, just ignore her when she brings it up again. If you refuse to engage, she should eventually get tired of talking to a wall and give up.

Sometimes in the interest of being nice, people, especially women, aren't clear when they aren't interested. I would try something like the above before talking to the boss.

I am NOT that kind of person lol. People know where I stand. This person is no different. :) I'll just do what I've been doing. Thanks for the shoulder to vent on, everyone lol
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    Sarahb29 wrote: »
    Before you go off on them tell your supervisor they are distracting you from your work trying to sell you weight loss products (which is implying you need them and therefore implying you're overweight). It absolutely could turn into an HR issue if it continues.

I would guess it is against company policy to sell stuff on company time.
    Yeah, but people sell things like Girl Scout cookies, charity tickets, etc. without much grievance or objection too. It's likely more irritating though if it's something one doesn't like or believe in.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

True we have a policy against solicitation. Even people with the Girl Scout cookies keep it pretty quiet. If there was a policy the OP would have something to back her up.
  • dalielahdawn
    dalielahdawn Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    mweckler wrote: »
    I am terribly saddened by the misleading title of your post. I was hoping your co-worker thought they were a wizard of some kind.

Agreed. :(
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I've had a coworker who used to pimp Mary Kay hard. But it wasn't a big deal to me b/c I liked talking makeup. Mary Kay wasn't necessarily my cup of tea but I would listen to her and then bring up another makeup company who's line I really liked. I'm also use to the Mary Kay spiel b/c my aunt sold it and I have a great aunt who's a higher up in the company, to the point that she has 2 or 3 of those pink cadillacs.

I've also dealt with Girl Scout cookie sellers in the office and they weren't obnoxious about it. It was always, "hey, my kid is selling cookies, the sign up will be at my desk or in the admin office if you want any." That simple.

For this, I would go to your boss. Explain that you're over her behavior, and that you just want the harassment to stop. Because she is harassing you. If you guys have staff meetings or anything like that you could also call her out there in front of everyone. I'm sure you aren't the only one who is over her antics.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i like to tell people when they've lost 80 pounds eating the same foods they always have, like i have, then i will listen to their spiel....

funny.... no one comes back to tell me they were able to accomplish that....... ;)

LOL
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    Ugh I have the same thing happening to me right now with 2 coworkers trying to get me to be a stupid beach stupid body stupid coach. About 3 nights ago I was thinking about it and I was so annoyed so I decided to research everything wrong with stupid shakology.
    I am now waiting for them to ask me again and I hope they are ready for so much negativity regarding stupid beach stupid body, that they themselves won't want to sell it anymore (that's the goal).