WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY 2013

Options

Replies

• Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Rain and more rain again in ATL again today. We went to a retirement party for a friend that taught school for 45 years. Holy moly -- that is a lot of time with OPC's and I would never have had the patience! Saw a number of folks from our former church, which was fun for a bit. I was ready to leave at about 2 hours, but we were there for 3... plus the hour drive each way. We had more of a snack at lunch time, anticipating food at the party, which was also more snack-like. When we came home I felt hungry so made some tomato soup and a grilled cheese sandwich. Now I can't believe I'm hungry again!! Trying to decide on eating something more or going to bed. I do better just eating my meals. Tomorrow will be better.

Gail, metro ATL
  • jreneecal
    jreneecal Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    watching tv with my husband, wanting to have a snack but don't want to sabotage my weight loss and if I eat anything I'll go over my calorie count. Guess I'll drink more water. Thank you all for being here.
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to be able to read all the posts since my last one last night when we checked in to the hotel. We just got home. I had tried to make good choices today but life doesn't always go the way we intend. While we were out shopping with daughter and grand kids we filled up at Sam's Club. It was $3.11!!!!! But the car wouldn't turn back on :cry: So we pushed it over to a parking place and called AAA. I always keep a Premier membership just in case we are in trouble away from home. So the 'check your car' came after about 30 minutes and said it was the alternator belt. My husband was suspecting it might be. So he had to call the tow truck guy which was another 45 minutes. In the meantime it is fast approaching 6 PM on a Saturday night and we were afraid they wouldn't get us in. My husband who had his heart attack 3 months ago is really feeling his heart beating hard, the 6 of us are sitting there in the rain and wondering what is going to happen. I fill our pill keepers up for the week so we had no more medicine with us if we did have to stay another night. DH insisted he was OK and me go with DD and DGD and walk around Sam's until he got back with the car in who knows how long. He isn't good with directions, the were going to have to tow us to the next town to get to the only place AAA would tow to. But when he said his heart was pounding I was not leaving him for anything. So we leave them to walk in the rain to Sams and we ride away off into the sunset. The tow man didn't know the town we were going to, got into the turn lane of onto a major highway which lasted 3 red lights long while the repair shop was waiting on us before they closed. He finally figured out why he wasn't going anywhere and we got there quick. So after a quick 30 minutes and $450 later we were on our way back to Sams. So we stopped at Captain D's and got our usual grilled fish. But I emotionally stressed ordered macaroni and cheese. I ahd a goal to keep my sodium less than 2000 mg this month. We today I was over 3100 mg :sad: So now we are home, I ahve made up with my cat for being gone a day and coming home with dog smell on both of us. With my MS I always hibernate the day after we go some where so I will only have supper and a good snack tomorrow. So back to the grind on Monday. Oh, my neck was really tight all weekend and I was exhausted so I didn't go to the /silver Sneakers fitness place where my daughter lives. So hardly any calories burned at all Friday, Saturday or Sunday.

Joyce, Indiana
  • nanasorchid52
    Options
    Good morning wonderful ladies!!
    Had a quick skim of the posts but have no time to reply individually. So a big encouragement to those who are struggling and a huge congratulations to those who are losing the pounds and inches.

Some of you are under the weather - get well soon!

We are having a spell of glorious weather so we are throwing our garden open for a BBQ for family and friends. The chicken drumsticks are marinating, as is the pork for the skewers. I am trying to use healthy alternatives for everything - but am throwing on some higher cal sausages and beef burgurs to appease the menfolk. But the coleslaw and potato salad are low fat as is the trifle - they will have no idea!

Michele - very envious of the pool!! The paddling pool will have to do for us!!

Hopefully if I have planned well my calories will log okay. It is certainly in the planning for me. If I plan ahead I am ok - otherwise it can all go wrong!!

But healthy eating has finally become a way of life for me and I am becoming a moderator instead of an abstainer.

Well must go and do some more prep - the devilled eggs are calling!!

Have a wonderful Sunday

Jo
    UK WALES
  • MaMa2Charley
    Options
    :flowerforyou: My, I feel so welcomed. Thank you.

Our Dogson, Charley Cooper, has his own last name! My mom came to me in a dream and named him! He just turned 4 June 20th!
    He was taken away too soon from his mama and we have to hand feed him otherwise he won't eat! He is a raw foodie!
    I also make him dehydrated beef and he loves dried lambs lung.
    He is very smart and stubborn.
    He has been on our local news as a dog of the week and won a picture contest that I entered him in!
    He also has one brown and one blue eye!
    Can you tell I love him dearly and he is SPOILED?!

I will have to take some time reading all about you wonderful ladies.

I know that this is the place that I can ask questions and feel at home.

I am trying to eat more calories! Too little is as harmful as too many. I am not a veggie/fruit fan but I am trying.
    I am not allowed meat of any kind, nuts or seeds due to my appendix! What, you say! Well, it grew a friend on the end of it and twisted! All due to the things I cannot eat AND they found out it is on my left side!
    I would love a butterfly porkchop! Red meat hasn't been hard to give up but nuts have. Most of the seed fruits I never cared for so that has been easy as well.

I now have to eat low fat or fat free. Which one do you think is better for a person to eat?

When I was logging in my food I see that I am in the red for sugar. This has me perplexed somewhat. I know that it means added sugar but it doesn't take that in account, or am I wrong? Is there a number I should aim for in total? Maybe 30-50 grams a day?
    Also, it says that my proteins are too many and this amazes me. I am and will be learning so much more than I already know.

I am reading labels and I have a wealth of knowledge stored up in my brain such as sugar should be 4 or lower on the list and under 5 grams.

It has been in the 100s and we would love some rain.

Know that I am happy to be here and once again thank you for the warm welcomes and your kind words about Charley.

Until next I write,
    Marcie in HOT Colorado :flowerforyou:
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,263 Member
    Options
    Hello there from HOT south of England!:laugh:

Katla - I am not a medic, but I would go back to the doctor. To me it sounds as if the infection is needing antibiotics. You can only ask.

Michelle - so sorry for all your stress. Children are such a worry. I have had many a sleepless night over mine, though things are on track at the moment. DH's eldest is causing him stress at the moment because she is infatuated and living with a convicted fraudster. Now he has lung cancer. Several of my friends have children who are still living at home and relying on them for every penny. I agree with you - the best way to bring up a child so they can stand on their own feet is what I like to call "Benign Neglect".:laugh: I feel lucky that mine are self supporting. I have never had to help them out with money because I never had any to give them. Lucky me ! I was always a 'hands off' kind of mother, maybe a bit too much so as sometimes I find myself envying really close families like you did at the party. Especially those with daughters. It is one of the reasons I really value my DDIL, who is fabulous.

Joyce - what a day! Talk about stress!:ohwell: Fortunately that kind of day doesn't come around too often. I am sure you will get back on track pretty soon. You are a fighter.:flowerforyou:

Have done all my gym and strength exercises today. Only big job is watering the veg. It is going to be in the 80's today so that will have to wait. We picked loads of blackcurrants yesterday and broad beans. There are a few gooseberries left on there we need to get off the bush before the birds get them.

Granmallie - WTG on the 1 lb. Can't wait to hear that you've made it ! I have 1 lb to get to 'healthy' weight and then I'm going to take off three more lbs to make a nice round 10 1/2 stone and a 50 lb loss. Barbie reminds me not to go too low at over 60.:bigsmile:

Love to you all.

Heather in glorious summer in Hampshire UK:flowerforyou:
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Michelle: Maybe your daughter needs to take a break from school and work for a while. It may be just what she needs to motivate her. Our daughter drifted for a while after high school, but then she found what she wanted to do and went after it. She now has a master’s degree and is doing well.:flowerforyou:

Joyce: It sounds like you had a stressful, horrible, no good, very bad day. I hope you don’t have another any time soon.:flowerforyou:

Jo in Wales: I hope your party is a huge success.:flowerforyou:

Marcie: Welcome. This is a fabulous group. Your dietary restrictions sound very complicated. Are you preparing for surgery? I don’t think sugars reported here are only “added sugar.” I dropped sugar from my coffee a long time ago, don’t add it to anything else, and still my analysis reports sugars all the time. It is sugars that are in what I eat. Perhaps someone else knows more. I think you need medical advice or advice from a nutritionist.:flowerforyou:

My weight bounced up a pound although I’ve been under the line on calories. I can tell you I’m not “moving more.” I’m barely moving at all and I’m tired of it. If I don’t have a miraculous recovery today I’m calling the doctor tomorrow. This sucks.:grumble: :sick: :grumble: :sick:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

July goals:
    1. Log every bite
    2. Move more.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,733 Member
    Options
    morning ladies
    well I have found at least with my fit bit that,when I use the treadmill at the gym, doesn't log the steps like when I walk. so will still go to the gym,but not on the treadmill,will do other stuff.
    well we are going to the DH's aunt and uncles for a big family picnic,will be bringing beans and a veggie platter. and my 24 once thermal of water for me and keep filling it up. they have a beautiful inground pool,so I have mine and DH suits packed if we feel like taking a dip,but it will be full of kids so we shall see..
    i was sweatin my tail off on the treadmill for 50 minutes ,but my fit bit says only 4 active minutes.. yea ok whatever:noway:
    hoping the rain holds out until we get home,but we do need it, we have been in a huge heatwave for the last week.
  • bjmcq
    bjmcq Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Good Sunday Morning to All,

It is humid and hot and stormy here in southern part of Southern Ontario....we receive most of our weather from the track that comes along the Mississippi and up into Michigan and gets pushed east .... wow, you are sending a passel of storms this year! I don't mind the rain so much, but it is harder to get into the pool for my daily workout...and the knees and back and sleep cycles really love that workout!

I am still struggling with my food, wanting wheat carbs and my favourites....and have been out socializing that the food just creeps back in. I planned for a wheat free day today....the allergy effect causes my brain to distract, become slightly fuzzy and lose focus.

There is so much going on in this forum, that it is hard to keep up. Welcome to everyone new, and big hugs and a huge vote of thanks to all the old timers who keep me tethered to my reality!

Have a great day, BJ
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Goodafternoon, everyone,

Hot and humid here---DH is working on the base for an outdoor shed which has been almost 30yrs. coming---never let it be said that the man makes hasty decisions!

Katla---glad you've decided to see the dr. again; hope I was of some help

Michele.......I was pretty realistic with my daughter---basically, from about age 12 on, it was: if you want the extras, find a way to earn the money.........now we give her "X" number of dollars toward her college bill each year.........and every year she scrambles to put together almost $40,000.00 on her own---but, between scholarships (yes, it takes time and a lot of work to apply to each one and you might get one out of five that you apply to), grants, and loans (we only allow her to take the federal ones that don't accrue interest while in college), she's made it to senior year. It is amazing what kids can do if they really, really want something: she didn't "need" to go to a private colege, she didn't "need" to go to a school 5hrs. away from home----so, my view is that she must take the responsibility for these decisions. I always made a big deal of the difference between wants and needs. I do worry because she has no back up plan if she doesn't get in to vet. school; but we'll cross that bridge when/if we come to it. I see friends almost totally supporting kids (and grandchildren) into their (the kids) 40's, a friend who has a son my DD's age who has never had any kind of job, another friend who is trying to help a son in serious legal trouble by throwing major, major bucks at a lawyer (when the son is totally guilty). Everyone has different views on how to raise kids and what is acceptable. Neither her father or I were raised with any expectaion of help from parents after we were "of age". When her dad was her age, he was pulling guard duty on the wall in Germany; I had almost a year under my belt working straight night shift living by myself 11hrs. from "home". Even today, I think there comes an age when the "expectation" of parental help or support is misplaced, so I'd say don't get "guilted" into doing something if she's not holding up her end of the deal. No matter what your decision, I hope you are less stressed.

Wanted to get caught up with a few more people but DH is yelling for some help.....

yanniejannie
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,263 Member
    Options
    For those of you who get to the end of their calories and are still starving, here's a couple of things I have discovered.

Shiritaki noodles. - not really like pasta, but if you really wash and drain them, blot them with kitchen towel and warm them up in a small non stick pan you can have them with some peri peri or Sriracha sauce for 15 calories. Sometimes that just hits the spot !

Cauliflower rice. - pulse the cauliflower florets in a processor until you have small grains. Put them in a dish and cover with cling film. Microwave for 2 or 2 1/2 mins. Again, eat with your favourite sauce. A huge pile is hardly any calories, but it does give you wind !!!!!!!
    These are my go to emergency foods that do virtually no damage to the calorie count. I don't often have an emergency as these days I am eating 1700 calories, which is quite generous. I do 450 exercise most days. I don't know how people manage on 1200. I always eat back every exercise calorie. See the Eat More to Lose Weight group. I lose slowly but steadily.

Hope this helps.

Love Heather from boiling Hampshire UK:heart::flowerforyou:
  • janie12835
    janie12835 Posts: 75
    Options
    I wish I had the time to catch up on all the posts everyone's made since I was on here last, but I have an interview tomorrow (yippee!) and I need to review for that and get my mind in a serene place.:bigsmile:

It’s still Sunday and a better day for me. I didn’t meet my steps goal for yesterday, only got about 4,500 in and then finished by eating less than my best (pork ribs, mashed potatoes, baked beans - oh my!). Still, I needed the time to get hair colored and styled and then shopping for something summer-y for an interview I have Monday morning, then I decided to splurge eating wise. Hair’s looking good and I found some slacks that are a nice dove gray (no black!), cotton top to match that is soft gray with small white polka dots that I will wear open so that you can see my Mediterranean blue lace trimmed camisole. I even have a chunky blue necklace that is a darker blue in the same hue. So, I feel pretty good about how I’ll look. I’m not beating myself up about yesterday, it happened and it’s over! I didn’t get a workout in yesterday – I talked myself out of it. Today, though, I went early-ish, did my 35 minutes of treadmill on to the abdominal machine, and then added 4 more circuit training machines for arms. I’ll now begin with my treadmill and abdominals every day, while doing circuit machines with arms one day and legs the next. Taking that day off was worth it – my knees appreciated the day off and so did my mindset, I think. Okay, I’ve been accountable for today. Feeling good.

Happy Sunday, everyone! :flowerforyou::happy: :flowerforyou::happy: :flowerforyou:
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy Sun.Went to church talked to the pastor about renewing our wedding vows.We`ll be married for 20 years.
    Humid again.
    Have a good one!!
    HUGS
    jane
  • Alicia7519
    Alicia7519 Posts: 160
    Options
    Happy Sunday afternoon!

Yesterday, I was so happy because was under my calorie goal. It's been awhile since I have done that. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I have been eating a lot. Health wise, I have been feeling pretty good this past week. I finally got my potassium up to the level it should be. For several months, it's been very low, but my doctor changed my meds a couple of times and now I feel pretty good. I've been more active. Since last week, I have been digging around in my garden a lot. I don't count this as exercise, because that is when I start the ole "Oh I can eat a lot!" attitude.

I've been more consistent with doing yoga. Today, I took a break, but soon as it cools off a bit, I will get outside and play in the dirt.

A special thanks to Meg, Janie and Brooke for their support. DeeDee a million thank you's to you. Barbie thank you for maintaining this great space where we have the opportunity to read stories of success, be inspired, and support one another.
  • ohiomomof2
    ohiomomof2 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Hello, everyone and happy Sunday!

I've read all of the posts from the last few days but didn't have time to formulate responses - as it is, I've been sitting here reading for quite a while. We ARE a chatty bunch!

I had a terrific weekend with younger DD here from Wednesday night until this morning and older DD managed to get here for Thursday night and Friday morning before she had to drive the 90 miles back for work. It was good to have them both here for a little bit and we had a good time laughing about silly stuff. Of course, it is tough to watch the younger one walk away at the airport but she'll be home again in a month so we have that to look forward to!

Even with my girls here, I was able to make good eating decisions and managed to lose a bit more. I am now 32 pounds lighter than I was on New Year's Day and so grateful for all of the support and great ideas I find here on this thread. I know that some of you are struggling with issues right now and you are in my prayers.

Enjoy the rest of your evening!
  • Sasha4427
    Sasha4427 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone and I thought I'd check in as it's been a couple of months away. I've kept up with a few of you off the forum but it was really nice to read the July posts and see how everyone was doing.

Summer in the Kootenays started off poorly, rained for most of June, flooding all over the place. We were lucky here and missed that part of it thank heaven. Now July has hit and we had super hot weather as that heat wave from the US bumped up into our area too. It's still great here but not 40C anymore. My poor garden didn't know what to do; planted in perfect weather, then so much rain it rotted some of the plants, then super heat to wilt everything....only the kale and tomatoes are still doing well. A couple of the patio flower planters are still fine, but a couple look pretty sad. For some reason, the roses are amazing though! I always thought of roses as being finicky, but they are doing better than they ever have - go figure!

I decided to keep logging and just maintain over the summer instead of worrying about the pound up pound down thing. I guess my body found its own level, because all of a sudden, I'm losing again, another go figure!

I have an extra dog for a month or so. My daughter is just finishing up her last parts of work before moving to start her doctorate in the autumn, so I took Jasper home with me to visit with my dogs for a bit. He seems to be really enjoying being part of a pack, and when I get down on the mat for the floor exercises, I end up at the bottom of a 3 dog pile because all three of them think it's play time. Cat wasn't too thrilled at the beginning but now she rubs up against him and curls up next to him. As you may guess, Jasper is a pretty mellow old man (turned 13 on July 4 so I gave him some steak and a party hat).

Michele, hang in there, DS will come to his senses eventually. Just keep the communication as open as you can. I feel for you, it must be most painful to feel you child separating like that. It will turn around.

Anyway, nice to check in with all of you. I will try to be a better poster in future.

Lila in the sunny Kootenays, SE BC Canada
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    ..... about renewing our wedding vows.We`ll be married for 20 years.
    jane

:bigsmile: Jane, I had to smile when I read about renewing your wedding vows at the 20 year mark. I meant to do that too. DH was not keen on it. Meanwhile, we've been married 42 years. So we must be doing something right, renewing or no renewing.

:drinker: Michelle, love your pool. I want to come over for a pool party, if that's alright with you.

:flowerforyou: Yesterday, a little grand daughter was born to DS and his wife. Baby is as soft as a peach, and I am in love. They live not far. Also enjoying our almost 2 yr old toddler grandson. He is all into cars.

So far I am enjoying being 62, but it's only been a week. :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

I am trying to catch up on all the posts, and having not much success. Have had lots of life and work things going on, so not MFP too much.

Bye for now.

:heart: Renny
    Vancouver Island, BC
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,733 Member
    Options
    well all i can say is I pigged out at the picnic,I tried to put in everything I ate, and way the heck out of my comfort zone and ate way way to much.. but alas tomorrow is another day:blushing:
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    Happy Sunday ladies. This was kind of a worthless day for me LOL. I didn’t get to sleep until about 5 this morning, so I slept in while DH took the kids to church. I got up around 10. Didn’t do a whole lot today; did finish deep cleaning the master bathroom and fed the birds, and that’s about it! It’s really hot and humid here, just putting seed in the feeder made me drip with sweat. The ultra-smart squirrels have figured out how to open the back of one of our feeders and so they have feasted on sunflower seeds. So we’ll have to figure something else there!

Barbie I love your simple approach to being healthier. So many of us look at the whole (HUGE) problem and can’t figure out how to tackle it! I kind of have a love-hate relationship with fireworks. Your poor babies would roast here; it was 94 and humid during the afternoon. Dogs can burn their paws on the concrete at these temps.

Michele: I have found the same issue with powdered sugar; it just melts into the food. I’m with you on the tuition. We aren’t paying for either kid’s education after high school. First, when you adopt a 13 year old there’s not enough time to save, but also because we discovered both of these girls would just totally take advantage of it and not put any effort into it. DD#1 is working 2 jobs right now to be able to pay for cosmetology school and she will appreciate that education. DD#2 is a rocket scientist and should be able to get scholarships. The college where I work also belongs to a consortium of 600 small, private liberal arts colleges where our kids can go for free (kids from parents who work at the other colleges can come to my college free too). I so hope you an get resolution with Bryan and Dianna. Just a thought…have you ever considered grief counseling? This sounds so hard for one person to deal with.

Gail: I saw on the news the rain and storms you have been getting. Don’t get swept away!

Jreneecal: stay strong!

Joyce: wow what a trip you had! Glad both you and DH are ok>Hope your neck feels better!

Jo: it sounds like you were ready to have a splendid time! I made rosemary biscuits yesterday with truvia and no one could tell there was no sugar!

Marcie: most of us here are moms to various sorts of fur babies and we love them dearly, so you should feel right at home! Why can’t you eat meat? I understand the nuts with your appendix but have never heard of not being able to eat meat. I’ve been a nurse for 33+ years and that’s a new one on me!

Heather; how hot does it get where you live? I always picture the UK as cool and rainy!

Katla: oh you need to get better soon! The weight is temporary due to your sickness. I hope recovery is on the way

Grandmallie: let’s see…..for every 50 minutes you sweat you only can claim 4 minutes???? It would take you a whole day to get
    an hour in LOL

BJ: hope you get some pool time in!

Yanniejannie: I too know many people who totally support their grown children; one is even married with kids and they all live with a co-worker of mine and do nothing all day. No jobs, always asking for money to go out to dinner, movies, buying cars, etc. My co-worker was appalled when I suggested she throw them out LOL!

Janie: good luck on your interview! What kind of job is it for?

Janemartin: congrats on your upcoming wedding anniversary!

4dogmom: good for you to be under your calorie goal! Keep it up!

Ohiomom: great job on the weight loss!

Lila: how funny to picture you under all the dogs! Hope it cools down a little bit soon.

Renny: take lots of pictures when you invade Michele’s pool!

Ok gotta run fill up the hummingbird feeders before I forget! Take care all. Meg from steamy Omaha
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Renny: Congratulations on your new granddaughter.:flowerforyou:

Meg: I slept a lot today and I am feeling more like myself. I haven’t had any meds since yesterday. I hope this is the end of it. I really appreciate your concern and advice.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Thank goodness I am feeling a bit better, because we are about to begin a busy week. I hope my energy returns quickly. I’m going to need it. Lots of appointments and busyness coming up, but the best part is my son and DIL will be back from their honeymoon. I don’t expect to see them right away, but will be glad just to have them within driving distance.:bigsmile:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

July goals:
    1. Log every bite
    2. Move more.