WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY 2013

Options

Replies

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Joyce: My computer brightness controls are in the row of buttons on the keyboard that is above the number row. They’re labeled F1and F2 and also have little sun symbols on them. I have a mac.:smile:

Sue is SD: I love that your horse is named Jule. At first I thought you’d written Julie, and I like that, too.:bigsmile:

Deedeebyrd: Welcome to a great group. I hope you’ll let us know where you’re from. Weigh in so you can gloat about how much weight you’ve lost a few months from now. :bigsmile: Not knowing the number doesn’t make you feel better or look slimmer. But when you start losing, you’ll enjoy the satisfaction of knowing how much you’ve lost. :wink: People on the site also recommend taking a before photo and also measurements so you can compare before and after. I only did the weight part. I have some before pics here and there but didn’t take any special ones. :flowerforyou:

Jill: Thanks for the mock soy sauce recipe. We have been able to find low sodium soy sauce in the store, but this will be handy when we can’t get to the right store.:flowerforyou:

Suzy in DE: I love homegrown zucchini but don’t have the space for it. When I did, I invariably got huge ones that were fit to wrap in swaddling cloths and lay in a manger. :noway: I left them unwrapped on neighborhood front steps in the night or early morning. :devil: My MIL made hers into zucchini bread and froze it. She served the bread during the fall and winter until she ran out, and I thought it was quite good. She did not give me the recipe, but I’ll bet you can find one.:flowerforyou:

Kathy in gorgeous IL: Yoga is wonderful and will be able to take you as you are and help you to gradually improve. I would recommend a real instructor for this because they will know what you can do and how to modify things you aren’t yet ready to try. Talk to he prospective teacher to see whether you can get the support you’ll need. I take a class with women in our age group, and most of us have to modify now and then. Our instructor is really good at providing help and supportive modifications. I am so much better now than I was a few months ago. Good luck.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Joyce: I’m so happy that you had a chance to have lunch with friends you used to work with. What a wonderful treat.:bigsmile:

I had my mammogram this morning and should hear results in a day or two. The technician was extremely nice and helped me to understand the difference between the 3D mammogram I got today and those I’ve had before. She even showed me “my pictures,” the past set side by side with the new ones. :smile: They looked pretty much the same to me. Getting squeezed into the machine is not fun, though. :noway: :noway: No improvements in that area.:tongue:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

July goals:
    1. Log every bite
    2. Move more.
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Hello to everyone!

Juanita.........Please send that cold front to the south a bit more......YAY!!! on the excellent dr.appt.

Barbie...........I also saw Red 2 today and hold the same opinion as you

Katla...........Enjoy all your new clothes and your NSV heaven

DeeDee.......happy cleaning!

Heather.........I agree with the poster (Katla, I think) who said all the women in your town will be green with envy seeing you jalk; congrats on your record time!

Gym this am; ladies exercise. Spoke with a friend today who has started a new diet she is thrilled about
    600 cals/a day
    any bets how long that will last? Yes, I tried to address the issues she will have sooner or later but no luck.

Found a snakeskin by the back door this am........will be watching for the critter who shed it.

Did a favor for a neighbor and yesterday she brought over a bag of goodies (oh, no!!) including these Moser Roth Orange Almond Chocolates--yum, yum!!!! Never had these before, thankfully there are only 5 in the pkg. and dh likes them too. Most stuff I can say "no" but dark chocolate is my downfall............and Fritos........and chips..........

Storms coming tomorrow, then a bit cooler.

Take care, everyone,
    yanniejannie
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    yanniejannie :flowerforyou: that snake may be long gone. It's when a snake is getting ready to lose it's skin that they can be dangerous. The skin is also over their eyes and they are more vulnerable. Some times they find some where that has a roughened surface to help them shed their skin. And then they leave. One time our daughters big boa shed his skin a one big piece. I took it and put it on my sisters desk where she worked. That was for sending me a dozen black roses and wheel chair to me at work when I turned 40.

Katla, thanks about the info about where to find the brightness switch but I don't have a mac. My son in law, the techy geek still loves me though!!!! He got his Mac his senior year in seminary and he is 40 now. He won't have anything but any mac product including the iphone. I will explore those buttons though to see if there is one.

Joyce, Indiana
  • terrimag
    terrimag Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

My oldest son is a YMCA physical education instructor; on Friday, he is off to Prague for a YMCA international conference. We are so proud of him and happy for the YMCA’s financial support so that he has this wonderful opportunity. Today, I got him a money belt and shields for his passport and ATM/credit cards. He will also be traveling by train through Germany and Switzerland with a friend, so I added some Euros to his money belt. I’ve taken him to Mexico and Hawaii when he was young, but this is his first time travelling overseas. My Mom heart is excited for him (and also nervous) and I hope that his trip goes well and he has great experiences. :heart:

Have a good evening,

Terri, from Oregon
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,980 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I came home from line dance and fixed our big meal (boneless chicken breast baked with garlic and Mrs. Dash), frozen peas, sliced tomatoes. Jake uses salad dressing, Smart Balance, and barbecue sauce and I eat everything plain. It’s too warm to walk the dogs (70 degrees). I walked them when I got back from class and they were ready to come back in after less than ten minutes…I walked them again after I fed them and they wanted to come back in almost immediately Our new location for the Wednesday line dance class is the bar at the VFW. It has a hardwood floor and a stage for the teacher to stand on so we can see her better. Most line dances are four wall dances so we face the stage, or the pool tables, or the dart boards, or the bar with all the bottles and the mirror. Nobody is actually drinking at the bar, but there are some employees at work (in order to dance in the bar, there has to be a licensed bartender in the room so they arranged to have someone there so we can use the room.

:flowerforyou: Katla, congrats on the new clothes in size 10

:flowerforyou: Janie, I am such an early bird that I can’t imagine going to the gym at night…..but I agree about being active when there aren’t too many people around……I like to walk early in the morning before everybody else is up and about….don’t we have the greatest weather here

:flowerforyou: Heather, congrats on your fitness NSV……I do plie squats (also known as sumo squats). They are easier to balance especially because I do many of them on somewhat uneven grass while walking one dog in the morning. When I do squats with hand weights I only do 10 at a time.

:flowerforyou: Grandmallie, you’ve had great weight loss success…..I’ve heard that prednisone creates problems for weight loss……keep analyzing your food diary and make sure that all your calories are nutritious and that you have plenty of veggies.

:flowerforyou: DeeDee, one reason I have so much time for dancing and dog walking is that I don’t do much housework….I do just enough to get by.

:flowerforyou: Lucy, I agree, grandchildren are exhausting…..ours are several states away so we don’t see them.

:flowerforyou: Deedeebyrd, take it one day at a time, log your food, look for ways to be more active and read the posts on this thread every day…….then you will see results

:flowerforyou: Kathy, my hubby has been helped by a chiropractor for years……a chiropractor helped me recover a lot of pain and suffering a few years ago….I wish you the best with your treatment

:flowerforyou: Yanniejannie, 600 calories a day might be a short term weight loss solution but it’s not a long term health solution…….I am aiming for vitality, fitness, and longevity, not only weight loss.

:heart: Barbie from warm and sunny NW Washington

1461351h0otf8hco5.gif

"The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT."
  • Kalley1959
    Kalley1959 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Good evening,

I've been laying low today with yet another migraine. I got my bracelet back from the jeweler after getting my new charm soldered on. It's nice to have 2 charms on it now. I didn't go for my walk this morning as my back was just aching. It's much better tonight so I will be up at the crack of dawn going for my walk.

Welcome to the newbies. Come back often and post as much as you want. I look forward to getting to know you.

I've completely enjoyed the cooler temps today.

I'm off to bed early tonight.

Hugs to all that are struggling!

:heart: Sandy from Ontario
  • rjscott
    rjscott Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    The last of the family left yesterday–I drove my sister and her family to Nashville to catch their flight. We had a fabulous time–ended up with 70 family members. Most of the time was spent talking and eating, with very little sleeping. My legs are very tired; it doesn’t feel like I sat down from Thursday evening through Monday morning!! Now it’s time to get back to routine life, which includes recording food intake and staying within limits. DS#2 is home from Colorado where he spent two months working at a summer camp outside of Boulder. Things are always a bit livelier when he is around (and a bit messier!). I need to get some sleep. I’ve quickly scanned many of the posts. Several of you have had awesome weight losses and other NSVs, as well as good news from family members–Congratulations!
    Rhonda in SE TN
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,391 Member
    Options
    subzeromambo - welcome. So sorry you were laid up for so long, but glad to have ya with us

katla - isn't it amazing how you're just barely into the summer and already the clothes are gone from the stores? Then you see bathingsuits in January!

Juanita - great bloodwork

Janie - I tend to believe that everything happens for a reason, so waiting for the riverrock, there's a positive to it. I just can't see it yet, but there is. Loved your pic!

Heather - wonderful NSV. Bet you looked fabulous

grandmalle - sending good thoughts your way

DeeDee - that must have been something to wake up and see a bat looking you in the eye. You can come scrub my house any time at all. Hey, I'll even take you out to Jason's Deli for lunch!!!!!

katla - great that you will get to go on the cruise. Have a great time! You know, the way they do the mammos here in NC, for some reason they don't hurt as much as they did in PA. Don't know what they do differently.

Lucy in DE - your girls day out sounds heavenly

Amanda - I have to ask. You probably posted this while I was away. What's the story about a pregnancy? You aren't pg, are you?

drkatiebug - happy birthday to your dh. I know what you mean about wanting a clean house. Vince laughs at me because before we go away somewhere I have to clean the house. He says "what, are you cleaning for the robbers?". My answer? "Yup, I don't want them to see a messy house"

Joyce - oh, I KNOW that our lives affect our diet. When I was really stressing over Bryan, boy was I comfort eating. I'm still stressing some, but I don't think as much. Time will help, that's for sure. Great loss (in weight AND measurements). Have a great dinner

deedeebyrd - don't think negatively. You just might want to weigh yourself so that you'll know how far you've come.

Pat - I do hope everything works out well with your computer.

Jill - thanks for the recipe for the mock soy sauce. I'm going to give it a try. I sure don't like the sodium in soy sauce, even the low sodium soy sauce.

yanniejannie - I never knew you could buy glasses just for driving at night. Only thing is, I guess when your prescription changes, then you have to get new glasses, right.

Kathy - I agree with katla. Go to the instructor first

Terri - how exciting for your son! Does he speak any foreign languages? I only speak A LITTLE (very little) French and zero Spanish. Rick Steves has a handy dictonary and phrase book that you might get for him. It's small enough to put in a pocketbook but includes phrases like yes/no, thank you, etc. I got mine at the local bookstore

barbie - glad you found a nice new place for your dancing. I, too, like exercising when it isn't crowded. Unfortunately, the Y only wants to hold classes when there is a demand which means classes are usually later in the morning (like 8:30 or 9)

Did an hour workout on the treadmill today, used this program they have called a "gluteal interval".
    Tomorrow I'm planning to do Bob Harper's Pure Burn Super Strength DVD.

Michele in NC
  • fullofhope
    fullofhope Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Evening All!

I'm back after being gone 2 years. I could kick myself but that wouldn't do any good. I here now, have made some new friends and am starting over. It really does make one watch what you eat when yo have to take responsibility and write it all down. I can't say that I will be able to keep up with the thread, but I sure will try. Everyone have a great evening and I'll see you tomorrow, wiser and lighter!
    Cheryl from Football Hall of Fame Canton, Ohio
  • wessecg
    wessecg Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    My crazy life got crazier. My lovely stepdaughter (usually just referred to as daughter) found her Mom dead yesterday. She had committed suicide. Just 4 years ago she had found her brother dead from an overdose. I feel so overwhelmed by my lack of ability to take her pain away. Her Mom has been an absolute lousy Mom for a very long time and Cassie had distanced herself. Now, of course she feels extra guilty. How much pain can a young girl take. She just graduated top of her class and will be leaving for Vanderbilt in less than 3 weeks. This should be the best time of her life.

Tonight was the send off party for the Vandy students. Didn't know if we'd go but we did. She rocked at "Fake it Until you Make It." I took a couple of pictures. You can tell she's not happy in them, but she's still beautiful. I am so proud of her. (Hope these pictures don't come out too large.

CassieVB41_zps2160b88a.jpg

CassieDad8_zpsf05e67b6.jpg
  • altygirl
    altygirl Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Wessecg - I'm so sorry for your stepdaughter and family. What a terrible situation.

(I'm still in England on holiday and will check in when I get home next week - Helen)
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,355 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone,

We had at least a 100 drops of rain last night, Now it is very muggy. Made the gymming a 'glowing' affair!

Wessecq - how awful! I can imagine that you feel a bit at a loss as to how to best help her. Perhaps you could suggest she sees a grief counsellor at her new college. Sometimes the full effect of a loss doesn't hit us until quite a bit later and we may think we are coping well at the time. In the UK there are special organisations for teenagers. I'm sure there will be something similar in the US. My thoughts are with you at this difficult time. Your husband too may need to talk.

Cheryl - you can do it! This time it will be for ever!:flowerforyou:

Rhonda - Wow! You deserve that sleep. I would be out for the count. Take care of yourself.:flowerforyou:

Barbie - I was laughing at the thought that you had to have a bar minder to stop you ladies raiding the bar!

Terri - Our heart goes with our children on their adventures, doesn't it. My son took 6 months travelling round Asia and South America. Luckily I had just learnt how to use the internet (2001) and could use the work computer. It's all so much easier these days. I printed out all his emails and still have them. When he didn't get in touch for about 10 days I went into meltdown. When he got back we found out his bus had been hijacked in Columbia by guerrillas and had had to hide in a tree for 6 hours while they set the bus on fire and searched for him in the dark. Hhmmm.:sick: I'm quite sure that won't happen in Prague! He will have a fabulous time and it will be such an education and something he will remember for ever.

Kathy - you most certainly do not have to prepare yourself for yoga or be fit or flexible. Most of the ladies I go with are over 70 and I went there when I was very unfit, almost incapacitated. I have done yoga on a chair with a bad knee and a lady is there at the moment who has plantar fascitis and can't put any weight on her foot at all. People have bad shoulders,, backs, everything. You just have to find the right teacher. Ours is fabulous and my yoga session is one of the highlights of my week.

Suzy in DE - Have you made zucchini muffins? If you make them low fat, with some cheese and wholewheat flour you can have them for breakfast or as a quick, packable lunch. I love turkey burgers, with grated zucchini, which makes them less dry. I am sure there are masses of recipes on skinnytaste.com. You can do the baked fingers with zucchini as well as eggplant, but I haven't tried them.

Deedeebyrd - if you don't weigh now, take photos etc you will have lost half the fun. I don't have any photos of me at my absolute worst, only nearly worst and I regret that now. Weigh yourself, take a really awful photo, and measure ever bit of you, thighs, arms, everything. I wish I had measured my thighs as that is where I have lost the most. You WILL succeed if you stick with this thread. Good luck!:flowerforyou:

Joyce - good going on the Asian buffet and I'm sure you had a great time with the old nurses. I love meeting up with old friends. I am trying to arrange a couple of nights in Bath with my Girls In October. I am the social secretary for the four of us!
    There are a couple of words in the English language that always strike me with fear. One is "buffet", the other is "Carvery" .:laugh: My mother loved a Carvery. My heart would sink. In fact I don't even like going to a proper restaurant for Sunday Lunch. It is so rarely worth the money and never as good as the roast you have at home. Not that I do a Sunday Lunch very often, except for visitors and then it's rarely roast, except at Christmas. I prefer to serve food you can make in advance, so there is no last minute panic.

We have some lovely visitors coming on Monday for the night. They are old teaching friends of DH and some of our favourite people. They are in their thirties and have a young son and a baby, so it will be fun!! I already have the Summer Pudding in the freezer and will serve blinis, half fat creme fraiche and lumpfish roe as a picky starter as I have no idea what time or if we will get the kids to bed! Then, as the wife only eats chicken as a meat, I am going to make my standard Morrocan Chicken with Preserved Lemons, by special request from DH. I love it. The baby wont be on solids yet and the 3 year old can have fish fingers and potato wedges that I have in the freezer for DGS. I remember from last time that he liked tortilla chips as they are currently living in Colombia. The wife is Colombian. I am so excitec as we haven't seen them for a year and we used to be close when we lived in London. Isn't it nice to have young friends!

OK folks, got to get some press ups under my belt. My thighs are stiff and sore this a.m. after my jalking yesterday.! :blushing: :bigsmile:

Heather in UK
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

Katla :smile: I feel very blessed the Direct TV installer just lives down the road from me and he gave his cell number to call if I had any problems. He did pop in and hook up a new tv for me, no charge:happy: , so I gave him a nice tip! Glad to hear the mammogram is over now, its never pleasant:noway: . How wonderful about your boating trip…hope you have a fantastic time!!! Oh my I laughed about the zucchini being big enough to be swaddled and placed in a manger:laugh: ! Did your neighbor know you left the zucchini:devil: ?

Lucy :smile: Peppermint bark…yum. I always get some around Christmas, you’re right it is a little taste of heaven! Your beach trip sounds fantastic, reading, talking, eating and shopping, sounds like a little bit of heaven too! You know when my youngest granddaughter is doing something I don`t like, I have no trouble telling her to stop it, doesn`t matter if she`s here or at her house. I have to watch her around my dog, she wants to pick her up all the time and the dog doesn’t like it:noway: . All that energy does wear us out!

Janie :smile: Hope you found the perfect gift for your grand niece, at 4 years old they like almost everything!

Katiebug :smile: Isn`t it just wonderful when you don`t HAVE to go anywhere:love: ! I love those days, they seem few and far between though! Remember, your company comes to see you and not your house, however I understand you wanting it to be perfect!

Joyce :smile: Congrats on being down 3.6 pounds, and the inches lost! Glad your headache is gone!

Jane Martin :smile: Lucky you having low 70 degree weather! Enjoy it!!!

Sue in SD :smile: You have cooler drier air too…lucky you!

Deedeebyrd1 :smile: Congrats on day 9! I think you should weigh yourself, we all have little ups and downs in the weight loss world. Keep coming in here and we`ll support you through the ups and downs!

Pat (Phoo) :smile: I would like to have a day to feel like a slug! A nice day of sitting out on my deck with a wonderful book…sounds divine to me:love: ! Hope your computer can be easily repaired!

Jill :smile: Thanks for the soy sauce recipe! You have beautiful weather too, I would love to be able to open the windows, but it`s just too hot here!

Suzy :smile: Thanks for the zucchini recipe, one of my favorite veggies!

Kathy :smile: Glad you like the chiropractor, sounds like he has a good plan for you!

Yanniejannie :smile: Your friend is on 600 calories a day:noway: …..good luck to her! Snakeskin outside your door…at least the critter wasn`t still in it:tongue: !

Terri :smile: What a nice gift you got for your son! I`m sure his trip will be wonderful, what a great opportunity!

Barbie :smile: When it`s 70 degrees here sometimes I put on a sweater:laugh: . I know Noel is looking forward to cooler weather, about 20 minutes at a time is all she`ll walk! Sounds like a fun time at the new dance place!

Sandy in ON :smile: Hope your migraine is gone now, and your back feels better:flowerforyou: !

Rhonda :smile: Sounds like you had a great time with your family!

Michele :smile: Jason`s deli sounds good!!! I`m on my way…oh wait…you wanted me to clean first though:sad: , well…..

Cheryl from Ohio :smile: Welcome back! Pop in when you can and don`t think you have to reply to everyone, I only get to do it once in awhile. Just tell us how you`re doing!

Cheryl (wessecg) :smile: How very sad for your step daughter. She`s very lucky she has you in her life, just be there to support her. It`s so nice you call her your daughter:heart: ! Hopefully she`ll be able to get some counseling. She is very beautiful!

Helen :smile: Hope you`re having a grand time on your holiday!

Heather :smile: Sounds like you are the perfect hostess! I`m available for travel when ever you have an extra room:bigsmile: . I`ll even try jalking with you!

My daughter, son in law and grandgirls are coming for dinner tonight…wish me luck (that`s for the cooking part). I`m roasting a chicken, surely I can manage that:tongue: . I do have to go back to the grocery, I forgot to get milk for the youngest one and that`s all she wants to drink. The oldest one is looking forward to driving the golf cart again, as is the son in law too! I`ve been thinking about getting a new golf cart for the girls, it`s pink and it has a top on it, a windshield and even headlights:love: …I`m still in the thinking stage though.

Have a great day! Drink your water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: and log your food!

Hugs,
    DeeDee in slightly less humid sunny NC:glasses:
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    wessecg, I am so sorry about all that your step-daughter is going through. She is a beautiful girl. She has a lot to deal with for one so young.

Congrats to all the NSV folks. You are an inspiration to those of us who are currently struggling.

Got my walk in early and the bathroom rugs are in the washer. Now I'm going to tackle the papers in my study.
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Hello, ladies!

Thanks to whoever pushed that cold front a little more east!!! Breezy and less humid and cooler this am.

wessecg: my heart breaks for your stepdaughter; only time will ease but never erase the shock and pain.........she really went "above and beyond" to make it through that event and kudos to you for all the love and support given to her in an impossible situation.....my thoughts will be with your family...........

Sandy...........hope you are feeling better

Terri.........congrats to your son; how proud you must be! He sounds like a great kid!!

Michele..........on the glare glasses..........although they are from the eye dr., I don't think they are "corrective" in the usual sense. I have one very poorly sighted eye and one that is actually better than 20-20........strange, I know!!!...........and I can see well enough with them working together that I don't need glasses...........however, I do have a contact that I put in the "bad" eye to help read far away road signs on long trips or if I'm driving in a local area I don't know well and need to read signs from a distance. I just use the glare glasses over the contact or alone at night.

It's funny (not really, a bit catty is more like it!!!) how women can produce reasons and explanations to suit their own purposes. The "story" going around the gym (which I heard yesterday) was that I was missing because I had lost so much weight that I became dizzy and just collapsed; REALLY???? I weigh almost 30 pounds more than when I graduated h.s. and only 3lbs. less than when I joined the gym many years ago. MEOW!!! MEOW!!!

Moving on............

Joyce......the snake shed on the concrete patio so your idea that it was looking for a rough surface is spot on! I don't mind snakes, we had a little garden snake for ages in the backyard we named Slither : when my dd was little and we would make a game of finding her. However, this area has 3 varieties of poisonous ones; copperheads, rattlers, and the really dreaded cottonmouths.........these, I can go w/o seeing.

Got to go and get busy! Hello to everyone I missed!!
    yanniejannie
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    Just bumping in...no time to read today:sad: Way too busy at work

Laura80111 in colorado
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Cheryl (wessecg): I am so sorry your daughter has had such a terrible experience—twice. She must be a very strong young woman, to endure the shock and grief. She is lucky to have you in her life. :flowerforyou:

DeeDee: I’ll bet you’re the favorite grandma. You have fun ideas.:bigsmile:

Yanniejannie: I need to know more about the glare glasses. I’ve been wearing sunglasses when I have to drive at night, and it isn’t a great situation. :noway: I tried those yellow lenses (as seen on TV and magazine ads) and they weren’t helpful. It is the bright light that hits the sides of my eyes that is so painful and disruptive. :grumble:

Snakes! Ugh. I’m terrified of snakes, and barely deal with the little garter snakes I see in the grass. My mom was also afraid of snakes and I may have learned it from her, or I share it with her. I always wonder why the Lord made snakes, but have never really understood. At least they eat slugs.:ohwell:

Today should be pleasant. I’ll be getting the boat ready for our sailing trip, cooking some things ahead, going to yoga and then the community concert in the park at the end of the day. I’m feeling grateful at this moment, and this group is one of the things I’m grateful for.:heart:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

July goals:
    1. Log every bite
    2. Move more.
  • mwheatcraft54
    mwheatcraft54 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Good morning, everyone!

The weather finally broke here, thank goodness! We opened up the house and celebrated with a dinner on the patio and a trip to the local dairy for ice cream. I’m not a huge ice cream person, but it sounded good last night and I indulged in a whole scoop. Go ahead, be jealous. I’ll wait. :laugh:

I’ve been pushing the exercise with great regularity these days, trying to get rid of those couple of pounds that crept back when I took a break. As a result, I’ve been pretty sore lately – especially given that I’m doing more. My core is stronger, which means I can do more, but it also means I do more, which means I’m sore more. It’s a vicious cycle :frown:. Anyway, no injuries, just general muscle pain. I’m mostly trying to work through the pain, but I’ve cut back on resistance from three to two days a week with one day of yoga, which is mild resistance at best. The other three days are cardio, but even that was tough yesterday – lots of punching with arms that still felt like jelly from one-armed pushups the day before lol. OK, enough whining. Just thought you would like to know that exercise isn’t for sissies, but it is meant to be felt.

Vickie in NE – so close! I hope those three pounds fly on out.

Sue in SD, be careful walking with the sling – I’m sure you know. Healthy, speedy healing wishes to you.

Heather, I missed the eggplant sticks – I’ll look for the recipe. I’m kind of hit and miss on eggplant but lovelovelove eggplant parmesan, so maybe I can convert this recipe for the base of the casserole. I confess I had the computer on the live feed for the showing of the baby, and then when they came out I was talking to my boss and MISSED IT! Grr. Oh, well, lots of replays. Congrats on your new personal-best “jalk” time!

Katla, isn’t yoga supposed to be on the warmer side? Can you talk to the instructor?

Joyce, that headache sounds fierce. I hope you’re able to figure out what’s causing it. Way to go on the “bat wings”!

Meg, keep doing what you’re doing – weight fluctuates, as you know. It’s your health you’re looking after, right? I love the bat story – when we lived in C-springs we owned a 100yo Craftsman house – at some point it turned out we became the summer home for a flock of migrating brown bats. We had a small hole in the front of the attic area that they took advantage of. They were generally very good – we would sit out front in the summer evenings and watch as they came out and ate bugs. When we were moving ex went into the area to clean it out and cover the hole (while we thought they were neat, not everyone wants to be a bat landlord) – he said he found one dead bat and not very much bat poo. They were very good tenants!

Yanniejannie – wow, 400 people? You’re busy. Good luck!

Barbie – thanks for the movie review – I’ll have to check it out. I’ve been wanting to go to a movie.

Juanita, congrats on the doctor’s good review!

Katla, wow, size 10s! That’s a wonderful feeling, isn’t it? Our hospital switched to the 3D mammos a few years ago – my tech called and insisted I go in to get one last set of “before” pics before they switched to the new system. The only appt she had? A week after my hysterectomy. Grr. Anyway, you’re right, the squishing part hasn’t improved at all.

Grandmallie, the prednisone is the culprit on your weight gain; I would put money on it. It’s a wonder-drug in many senses but the side effects can be pretty bad, and weight-gain is a major one. You may also notice puffiness in your face and mid-section. It should go away now that you’ve finished your course.

Lucy, I’m sad. I wish I could see my GD often enough to say “I love to see them come . . . and I love to see them go.” :laugh: DD posted some new pics yesterday of them harvesting in her garden – DD is very proud of her burgeoning green thumb, and DGD had an arm full of red peppers that she appears to be very attached to as well. I miss her so much. I will say, having raised (survived?) an ADHD boy, picking battles is about the only way to go – otherwise you could find yourself correcting/redirecting 24/7. Good luck to your DD. I grow my cucumbers and squash on trellises too – put out a huge bowl of them on the street a couple of days ago for the neighbors to help themselves to. Don’t know what I was thinking when I planted 20 seeds this year.

Jill, thanks for the mock soy sauce recipe! I’ll have to try something along those lines, sans beef broth.

Suzy in DE, jealous of your squash. Mine a) got eaten by the deer and b) mainly didn’t survive the move inside the fence to protection from the deer. I have one plant left, and I don’t know what it’s going to produce. However, my winter squash plants are doing great and have lots of little squash on the vines.

Kathy, wow, an extra set of ribs and vertebrae? Interesting! You know you get extra weight points for the additional bones, right? j/k :laugh:

Oh, Barbie. I long for those “too warm” 70-degree days :laugh:.

Rhonda, your reunion sounds like it was a huge success!

Cheryl, oh, my goodness – I’m so very sorry for your DSD. How tragic. She is quite the survivor, but I hope she has someone to talk to. I imagine this is going to leave a big scar on her.

DeeDee, I love the idea of the pink girly-girl golf cart! How fun!

Yanniejannie, people gossip at your gym? That’s not cool. I’m not commenting on the snakeskin :shudder:.

So, off to work. Actually, off to yoga, then back to work. It’s yoga Thursday, and DSD has agreed to work out with me today!

Cheers,

M.
  • jodios528
    jodios528 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Morning all. The heat has finally broken here so we went on a long bike ride yesterday on the river trail. :smile: :smile: It was so nice – everything was beautiful and we were not suffering in the heat and humidity. I so prefer to be outside being active – I’m always amazed how many calories more I burn and I enjoy the process too! :flowerforyou:

I’ve been drinking green smoothies – really love them, but my blender struggles. :noway: So I’ve been looking at both the Ninja and Vitamix (soooo expensive). Just wondering if any of you have experience with either and your thoughts on what is good and not so good about each. I’m leaning towards the Ninja for cost reasons but want to make sure those who have one think its worth it. Thanks! :drinker:

I’m three days behind on the posts but doing my best to respond – but they are a bit of a hodge podge because many of you have been able to post multiple times so I’m trying to respond to all of those:

Joyce – I love the idea of cake in a cup. Great portion control. So sorry to hear your headaches are back.:sick: I’ve heard the computer screen can cause them and they have filters you can put over them that help. Congrats on the weight loss!:drinker:

Pat – congrats on the 4lb loss:drinker:

Heather – whoo hoo great NSV. It is so great when people notice.:drinker: I’m have to try the eggplant recipe from skinnytaste when I get back from vacation – we love eggplant. Thank you again for telling us about this blog…I love just about everything I’ve made from it.

Jane – so sorry the pizza made you sick:noway:

Vicki – congrats on the weight loss:drinker:

Sue in SD – I’m so impressed you are still working out even with the sling – you are an inspiration:smile:

Jb – thanks for the poem:happy:

Meg – loved the story about the bat…but also sent shivers up my spine:laugh:

Katia – congrats on the NSV – I bet you look great in your new shorts and capris. Enjoy your sailing trip:glasses:

Dee Dee – I’m going to have bat nightmares now!!! :laugh: :laugh: Enjoy your dinner with your family

Deedeebyrd – the reality of most weight loss journey’s is that it is not a straight line down. Ask most anyone on this thread and they’ll tell you their weight goes up and down and can plateau. Surely there will be times you get frustrated when the scale doesn’t move in the right direction. Do NOT quit. Remember that this is a journey to get healthy. Like Joyce said earlier – the weight will come off, as will inches. Importantly your overall health will improve. So stick with it and know we are here to help encourage you when you get down.:flowerforyou:

Kathy – I strongly agree with the others that you start yoga with a teacher vs. on your own. I’m a certified yoga teacher and have been practicing and teaching for many years. Alignment is one of the key issues that beginners need to learn. Poor alignment can lead to injury. It doesn’t matter how flexible or coordinated you are…yoga will help you improve on that, plus your strength and help you find a wonderful sense of peace and calm. :love:

Yanniejannie – dark chocolate is actually good for you – just not too much of it:laugh: :laugh:

Terrie – hope your DS has a wonderful trip:glasses:

Cheryl from OH – welcome back:bigsmile:

Cheryl from IL – praying for your daughter…she is going through so much right now. Being away from you at school will be even more difficult. I agree with Heather…perhaps you should encourage her to start seeing a grief counselor here and they can help set her up with someone at school:brokenheart:

M – definitely jealous of the ice cream:laugh:

Welcome to all the newbies. you found a great group of women

Well off to have an early lunch. I'm going to be trying a new DVD from the library later - Spark people bootcamp. I need to get in 210 squats today for the squat challenge so I'm hoping I work a few in with this DVD.:laugh: Then it's back to work and DD is having a friend over for dinner.

Have a great rest of the day, Jodios in cool and comfortable N. Il :smile: :love: :flowerforyou: :smooched: :heart: :bigsmile:
  • wessecg
    wessecg Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the support. Yes, I usually always refer to my stepdaughter as my daughter but have recently started saying step since I keep referring to her "Mom." When I first tried to say something on facebook I realized that saying "my daughter's Mom was found dead" just didn't make sense.

My husband and I went to a counselor and will be making an appointment for her for Monday. We thought she needed to have at least a few days to sort out her feelings before she could talk to someone about them.

We got a copy of the suicide note this morning. It was all about my husband and me. Thank goodness my daughter knows the truth. But still, I wish it had been about how it wasn't her fault, but it was quite the opposite. Anyway, have to catch up on missed work.

Cheryl from Illinois