what do you do to lower your sugar intake?

Options

Replies

• trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Make your own yoghurt. It is crash simple to make. Bake your own bread. The bf and I often bake a no-knead loaf of bread. You mix the ingredients before you go to bed. You let it sit in a bowl until the morning. You transfer it to a baking container. You let it rise for 30 minutes or so. You bake it. Et voila!

In short, you want to learn how to cook and bake if you don't already.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Where is the source for this sugar = cholesterol ...I can't find anything but opinion pieces
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Where is the source for this sugar = cholesterol ...I can't find anything but opinion pieces
    Well, it's not a source exactly, but when I went to a new doctor and said that I had high triglycerides, he said:

"You know where those come from, don't you? Sugar!"

I just said "Huh" and moved on to another topic.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »
    Well, it's not a source exactly, but when I went to a new doctor and said that I had high triglycerides, he said:

"You know where those come from, don't you? Sugar!"

I just said "Huh" and moved on to another topic.

Huh seems the only appropriate answer

• mrtastybutt
    mrtastybutt Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it would work for you but this worked for me. When I get a craving for cookies (my weakness) I've found that eating 3-4 grams of assorted nuts or cashews does it for me. I find it filling and satisfies my sugar craving most of the time. Again, I don't know if that would work well for you, but it works for me.
  • bisky
    bisky Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    circ.ahajournals.org/content/106/4/523.…

Sugar Consumption in the United States

Added sugar was not a significant component of the human diet until the advent of modern food-processing methods. Since then, the intake of sugar has risen steadily. The average US sugar utilization per capita on the basis of food disappearance data was 55 kg (120 lb) per year in 1970, and it reached 68 kg (150 lb) per year in 1995 (almost 0.5 lb per day).1 Sugar (simple carbohydrate) intake averages 25% of total energy intake. Data from the 1989 to 1991 Continuing Survey of Food Intake by Individuals indicate that soft drinks and sugars added at the table (eg, sugar/syrups and jams) are 2 of the top 4 carbohydrate sources for US adults.2

Previous Section
    Next Section
    Sugar and Coronary Heart Disease

Yudkin and colleagues in the 1960s3 and 1970s4 found that a higher intake of sugar was associated with increased CVD in both within-country and cross-country comparisons. A few recent studies have examined the link between sugar consumption and coronary heart disease (CHD). The Iowa Women’s Health Study5 showed no relation between the intake of sweets or desserts and risk of ischemic heart disease in 34 492 women monitored for 9 years. However, some major sources of sugar such as soft drinks were not considered. The Scottish Heart Health Study6 of 10 359 men and women found that neither extrinsic nor intrinsic sugars were significant independent correlates of prevalent CHD after adjustment for other major risk factors, but the data were not adjusted for other dietary variables. A recent report from the Nurses’ Health Study showed that women who consumed diets with a high glycemic load* (increased blood glucose excursions associated with intake of sweets or highly processed starches and sweets) had an increased CHD risk, with those in the highest quintile having a >2-fold risk during 10 years of follow-up.7 Simple carbohydrate alone was also predictive but did not reach statistical significance. This analysis controlled for total energy intake and other major dietary and nondietary risk factors.

Previous Section
    Next Section
    Dietary Sugar and Plasma Lipoproteins

A number of studies link dietary sugar with adverse changes in lipoproteins. Several studies have shown an inverse association between dietary sucrose and high-density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol.8,9⇓ Data from the Coronary Artery Risk Development In young Adults (CARDIA) study show a consistent inverse association between increased dietary sucrose intake and HDL cholesterol concentrations, in both cross-sectional and longitudinal analyses in blacks and whites, in both men and women, and after adjustment for other covariates.10

A diet high in sucrose (ie, >20% of energy) is associated with an elevation of plasma triglyceride concentrations.11,12⇓ This increase is due to both increased hepatic secretion and impaired clearance of very-low-density lipoprotein. Triglyceride response to dietary sugar may vary, however, according to the amount of sugar and the presence of other nutrients.12
  • bisky
    Options
    Conclusion of above article from American Heart Association:
    The studies above, taken in total, indicate that high sugar intake should be avoided. Sugar has no nutritional value other than to provide calories. To improve the overall nutrient density of the diet and to help reduce the intake of excess calories, individuals should be sure foods high in added sugar are not displacing foods with essential nutrients or increasing calorie intake.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Hello just wondering what changes any sugar lovers out there have made to lower their sugar intake?
    I have a sweet tooth so to speak and have high chloresterol, and have been reading that it may contribute a bit to that. So as well as a healthier diet and more excersize I want to watch my sugars as well. I'm not sure about lowering the amount of fruit I eat because of nutrient content + I am a vegetarian.
    Opinions? Methods?
    • I replace full sugar items (like when I have a soda) with sugar free.
    • I buy plain yogurt and sweeten with Vitafiber, which adds soluble fiber to my diet.
    • I stopped drinking my coffee with fancy flavored creamers and just use enough half-and-half to cut the acidity.
    • I make most of my own soups and stews in my crockpot so I can control the ingredients.
    • I buy single servings of things like a candy bar or cookies when I really want a treat
    • I enjoy the cake when I am at a party, I just don't buy any for the home
    • I eat my fruit instead of drinking juice
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    bisky wrote: »
    The studies above, taken in total, indicate that high sugar intake should be avoided. Sugar has no nutritional value other than to provide calories. To improve the overall nutrient density of the diet and to help reduce the intake of excess calories, individuals should be sure foods high in added sugar are not displacing foods with essential nutrients or increasing calorie intake.

Exactly it's about excess calories and overweight

Now fair enough if cutting down on sugar means you are hitting your calorie goals and nutritional requirements

But sugar does not cause high blood cholesterol

Unless somebody has info that proves otherwise I'm sticking with the advice to lower trans and sat fats and lose weight
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

Now fair enough if cutting down on sugar means you are hitting your calorie goals and nutritional requirements

Unless somebody has info that proves otherwise I'm sticking with the advice to lower trans and sat fats and lose weight

True. My suggestions above are all ways to lower calories overall and (for me as a diabetic) to lower carb consumption.
  • bisky
    Options

[*] I replace full sugar items (like when I have a soda) with sugar free.
    [*] I buy plain yogurt and sweeten with Vitafiber, which adds soluble fiber to my diet.
    [*] I stopped drinking my coffee with fancy flavored creamers and just use enough half-and-half to cut the acidity.
    [*] I make most of my own soups and stews in my crockpot so I can control the ingredients.
    [*] I buy single servings of things like a candy bar or cookies when I really want a treat
    [*] I enjoy the cake when I am at a party, I just don't buy any for the home
    [*] I eat my fruit instead of drinking juice
    [/list][/quote]

This is so good and common sense. Little changes ad up and decrease the calories.

• Cilantrocat
    Cilantrocat Posts: 81 Member
    Options

Thanks for the article!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,230 Member
    Options
    Simply cutting total calories would have already cut your sugar intake. Usually it is difficult to stay within one's calorie goal when at a deficit eating lots of sugary stuff as it does not satisfy long-term. Beyond cutting my overall calories, I don't do anything.
  • Cilantrocat
    Options

Thanks for your input! I think it's probablly a combination of bad habits that contribute to it in my case, sugar being one of them. I'm also working on cutting back my overall fat intake... And just trying not to be fat any more lollolol -_-
  • Cilantrocat
    Options
    I don't know if it would work for you but this worked for me. When I get a craving for cookies (my weakness) I've found that eating 3-4 grams of assorted nuts or cashews does it for me. I find it filling and satisfies my sugar craving most of the time. Again, I don't know if that would work well for you, but it works for me.

Mm cookies.
    I should definitely try that
  • Cilantrocat
    Options
    Simply cutting total calories would have already cut your sugar intake. Usually it is difficult to stay within one's calorie goal when at a deficit eating lots of sugary stuff as it does not satisfy long-term. Beyond cutting my overall calories, I don't do anything.

Well i did cut my calories but noticed i was using a lot for sugar
  • Cilantrocat
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    I eat sugar in the form of butternut squash, zucchini, fresh fruit, carrot, celery, tomato, onion, collard greens, lactose from no sugar added frozen yogurt, tiny amounts of clear Italian salad dressing and the occasional Chinese marinade.

Limiting my sugar intake to these sources alone has enabled me to go from an average daily sugar intake of 200 grams a day to 70 grams a day.

Wow!
  • pennyschlemmer
    pennyschlemmer Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm a sugar eater too. I try to limit my portions. I've found that I can get out of control if I just simply stop altogether.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,230 Member
    Options

Well i did cut my calories but noticed i was using a lot for sugar

Probably a whole lot less than before you cut your calories.
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I think of how much more filling something else will be instead of the sugary item I want right now. I even do it when I'm dreaming! And seriously? After a while I found I no longer want to eat sugary stuff.