How many of you substitute a meal with a protein shake? It's good or no?

Options
13»

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    How else do people use protein powder besides a shake? I want to supplement my protein intake with it, rather than as a meal replacement.

The main time I use it is in my oatmeal. I also add berries, and it's tasty and improves the protein content and makes it more filling.
  • JRMJr79
    JRMJr79 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have found that Shakeology is very good as either a meal replacement or just a snack. It's not really a protein powder but does have a high protein content with tons of other vitamins and minerals. I'll use it as a breakfast replacement and sometime again in the evening as it does a tremendous job in curbing the sweet cravings. its fairly low calories when mixed with almond milk. roughly 200
  • kmaldonadowmh
    kmaldonadowmh Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Need advice

Protein shakes make a great breakfast for me. Never famished afterwards. Of course mine are made with skim milk - never water. Optimum and BSN powders. They taste great.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    How else do people use protein powder besides a shake? I want to supplement my protein intake with it, rather than as a meal replacement.

I put a half scoop in oatmeal.

Am going to try the first recipe today, as it is Pancake Day. http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/20-best-healthy-protein-pancake-recipes.html
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    I would never have just protein powder and liquid as that would not fill me up at all due to lacking calories, carbs, fat, and fiber. This, on the other hand, keeps me full for hours.

ibbobipzc1o6.jpg
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I substituted a snack for a shake when I started... satisfied my sweet tooth and made me happy.

Now I only use protein powder in oatmeal, pretty much.
  • zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,678 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I'm sure it's good for some and not good for others. I prefer to eat so I do not substitute shakes for solid food.
    Precisely! I can't do that without getting extremely sick. I will, on the other hand, gladly snack on a triple chocolate protein shake once in awhile in response to my undying sweet cravings.
  • DBrooks1979
    DBrooks1979 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I use protein drinks in the Morning for breakfast to help tied me over until Lunch when I actually eat during the week on my way to work.. as I don't have time for a real sit down breakfast ... It has been helping curb my appetite for foods I shouldn't have. before lunch. and I keep a protein bar in my lunch bag for mid afternoons to help curb the appetite until supper... Just my two cents worth.. It works for me.. but I know its not for everyone.
  • AngelAura777
    AngelAura777 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I only use protein shakes if I havent hit my protein macros after all of my meals. Or I like to mix it with chobani greek yoghurt as a yummy dessert.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    I replace breakfast with a protein bar and banana. Used to do a shake, but I feel more full when I can actually *eat* something
  • One4Eddy
    One4Eddy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I do have a tendency to skip a meal if I'm busy. I found that keeping a protein shake in my bag or car helps with that. Too busy to grab a bite to eat? Protein shake.