K, who has great protein intake and an open diary?

Options
My protein intake sucks and I need ideas, because of the top three options for protein I'm aware of (that are not shakes and bars) are Meat (I'm not a vegan, I just really don't like meat), Eggs (I like eggs...ish) and beans(need I say more).

So who's got an open diary where I can scope out some good ideas for protein rich food that doesn't break the caloric bank?

Replies

• melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    What about quinoa, seeds (I like pumpkin and sunflower), tofu, tempeh, quorn, hummus..? Textured vegetable/soy protein (often has 50+ protein per 100g dry)? Lately I've been on a nutritional yeast kick, and I noticed that out of a 20g portion almost half is protein. It's surprisingly enjoyable to sprinkle on top of salads or plain carbs as a seasoning!
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    I average 110g+ daily. Typically, I eat less than 3 oz. of meat a day and zero protein supps. Cheese, Greek yogurt, beans, and Boca burgers are where I get most of my protein. Diary's always open :)
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies, I'm developing a list...
  • CoffeeNCardio
    Options
    Also, I didn't mean to sound like I'm against shakes and bars, so if anyone knows of some that give you great bang for your buck....
  • melonaulait
    Options
    Also, I didn't mean to sound like I'm against shakes and bars, so if anyone knows of some that give you great bang for your buck....

The pea protein powder I bought recently is 90 protein/100g! Even my bodybuilder buddy was impressed with that number. :D And he normally swears by whey protein and creatine powders...
  • CoffeeNCardio
    Options

The pea protein powder I bought recently is 90 protein/100g! Even my bodybuilder buddy was impressed with that number. :D And he normally swears by whey protein and creatine powders...

What's the calories per serving?
  • melonaulait
    Options

Well it's 326 cal for 100g but a 30g or so portion fits pretty nicely within my day.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    edited February 2016
    Options

Well it's 326 cal for 100g but a 30g or so portion fits pretty nicely within my day.

That's a perfectly fair trade for 90g of protein imho. I'm not opposed to doing that for breakfast. Could you link me a website or even just the actual name (brand and all) of that one please?

ETA: if I could get 90 from a shake in the morning, I can easily attain the other 30 I'm wanting through regular food the rest of the day.
  • level3tjg
    level3tjg Posts: 21 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    My diary is public and I usually try to eat 160g of protein a day and keep low caloric intake. I also try to skimp on carbs at the same time. I eat lots of steak, chicken, egg whites, seafood, and drink protein shakes.
  • melonaulait
    Options
    That's a perfectly fair trade for 90g of protein imho. I'm not opposed to doing that for breakfast. Could you link me a website or even just the actual name (brand and all) of that one please?

ETA: if I could get 90 from a shake in the morning, I can easily attain the other 30 I'm wanting through regular food the rest of the day.

Mine is a Northern European brand so I'm not sure of all the varieties that are available to you, but I did look through Amazon quickly and found this one http://www.amazon.com/100%-Pure-Protein-grams-Pwdr/dp/B0017OFSDW/ref=sr_1_19?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1454995820&sr=1-19&keywords=pea+protein which seems pretty close with 17g protein for 20g at 80 calories. So maybe try that or something similar? They all seem to have pretty different stats and this one's especially high in protein. o:)

Mine is also unflavored and it doesn't taste bad or anything just like that. I was pretty pleased with just the plain flavor. (Wouldn't have guessed!)
  • chimpy123
    chimpy123 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    cottage cheese!!! Eat it savoury, sweet, plain - however you like it.
  • melonaulait
    Options
    chimpy123 wrote: »
    cottage cheese!!! Eat it savoury, sweet, plain - however you like it.

My favorite lacto-vegetarian option, by the way! Yum-my. Some day I will make vegan cottage cheese.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    Options
    level3tjg wrote: »
    My diary is public and I usually try to eat 160g of protein a day and keep low caloric intake. I also try to skimp on carbs at the same time. I eat lots of steak, chicken, egg whites, seafood, and drink protein shakes.

Thanks, I wish we had better access to seafood in Denver. It's about the only meat I do enjoy. I miss California.

Mine is a Northern European brand so I'm not sure of all the varieties that are available to you, but I did look through Amazon quickly and found this one http://www.amazon.com/100%-Pure-Protein-grams-Pwdr/dp/B0017OFSDW/ref=sr_1_19?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1454995820&sr=1-19&keywords=pea+protein which seems pretty close with 17g protein for 20g at 80 calories. So maybe try that or something similar? They all seem to have pretty different stats and this one's especially high in protein. o:)

Mine is also unflavored and it doesn't taste bad or anything just like that. I was pretty pleased with just the plain flavor. (Wouldn't have guessed!)

Thank you
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I supplement after workouts with Pro Protein bars - 20 grams of protein and taste pretty good.
    Nonfat Greek Yogurt (They just discontinued my favorite brand, I'm trying to find something as good.)
    I know you don't like beans, but that's our other go-to for protein. I usually buy cans of white beans and garbanzo beans (rinse them to remove as much sodium as possible) and add them to salads, soups, pretty much anything. I've been subbing them for pasta in a lot recipes.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    I've tried two different protein bars (one was a Quest brownie bar) and they both tasted disgusting and couldn't finish them. I even spat the Quest mouthful out.

I like boosting my protein with flavoured Greek yoghurt.
  • Sbelcner
    Sbelcner Posts: 6 Member
    Options

If I need something on the go, I get the slim fast advanced. 20g protein, 5g fiber, 1g carb 1g sugar. 160 calories. They r yummy. I have a hard time finding this particular shake anywhere but walmart. Their other normal shake have too much sugar (35g)
    Also dannon fit and light smoothie yogart have 10 protein for a good snack
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Mine's open but...it's a lot of meat. lol
  • jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    My protein intake sucks and I need ideas, because of the top three options for protein I'm aware of (that are not shakes and bars) are Meat (I'm not a vegan, I just really don't like meat), Eggs (I like eggs...ish) and beans(need I say more).

So who's got an open diary where I can scope out some good ideas for protein rich food that doesn't break the caloric bank?

I do. I eat a lot of lean meat such as turkey and chicken though...
  • erinc5
    erinc5 Posts: 329 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I'm working on getting more in. My diary is always open, but not sure how helpful it will be until I figure this protein thing out, too. I just changed my goals yesterday.

I will be stalking other diaries for ideas. Trying to hit over 100g every day without any supplements. Once I get a hold of 100g per day easily, I will bump it up.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    Options
    I'm having chicken sausage for breakfast today. It's too spicy. But it was free so who's complaining. 20g protein down.... 100 to go