pregnant smokers

Options

Replies

• Chipmaniac
    Chipmaniac Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    If you decide to carry a pregnancy to full term, you need to understand sacrifices that need to be made in order to carry that baby to full term. This means absolutely no more smoking (among other things you should no longer do).

To the person who said 'some doctors will advise women not to quit smoking because of nicotine withdraw'... Well that doctor is a moron. Although in some high risk pregnancies it would be risky giving up nicotine cold turkey, no mentally sound doctor will suggest depleting your blood O2 levels by inhaling any sort of smoke! They might suggest something like a nicotine patch to slowly wean yourself off nicotine completely, but no doctor is going to give the go ahead to continue smoking throughout pregnancy. No doctor I would trust my babies life with would, anyway.

You are incorrect.

Actually, I am not. I stated an opinion. No doctor I would trust my unborn baby with would ever suggest to me (or anyone) to go ahead and keep smoking while pregnant. Wean themselves? Absolutely. But to continue smoking throughout the entire pregnancy? You better believe I would not ever go see a doctor who believed that to be the right thing to do.
    You can have your own opinion but you can't have your own facts.
  • markwako
    Options
    This has got to be one of the funniest and most ridiculous forums I have ever read. I do feel that its wrong to be smoking while pregnant but as stated by several other people I'm sure the mother already knows that and me telling her isn't going to do much besides aggravate her. I find it funny because you have the same few people on almost every page of this discussion going at it and nit picking with everyone else's opinion. We are all entitled to our own opinions and just because you don't agree with my opinion doesn't make yours right either. That's why its called an opinion.
  • Kenzietea2
    Kenzietea2 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    If you decide to carry a pregnancy to full term, you need to understand sacrifices that need to be made in order to carry that baby to full term. This means absolutely no more smoking (among other things you should no longer do).

To the person who said 'some doctors will advise women not to quit smoking because of nicotine withdraw'... Well that doctor is a moron. Although in some high risk pregnancies it would be risky giving up nicotine cold turkey, no mentally sound doctor will suggest depleting your blood O2 levels by inhaling any sort of smoke! They might suggest something like a nicotine patch to slowly wean yourself off nicotine completely, but no doctor is going to give the go ahead to continue smoking throughout pregnancy. No doctor I would trust my babies life with would, anyway.

You are incorrect.

Actually, I am not. I stated an opinion. No doctor I would trust my unborn baby with would ever suggest to me (or anyone) to go ahead and keep smoking while pregnant. Wean themselves? Absolutely. But to continue smoking throughout the entire pregnancy? You better believe I would not ever go see a doctor who believed that to be the right thing to do.

I said no doctor that is mentally sound or that I would trust my unborn child's life with (opinion). I never said some doctors won't recommend that. I just disagree it is the wise and sound choice for the baby and wouldn't see that doctor (also opinion).
  • cupcakes_
    cupcakes_ Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I'd never say anything but I find it disgusting. Now if someone was obviously pregnant and drinking alcohol, I'd definately put my two cents in.
  • Chipmaniac
    Options

You are incorrect.

I said no doctor that is mentally sound or that I would trust my unborn child's life with (opinion). I never said some doctors won't recommend that. I just disagree it is the wise and sound choice for the baby and wouldn't see that doctor (also opinion).
    Exactly, you are entitled to it no matter how wrong or ill-conceived.
  • rocksyraeis
    Options
    my mother smoked with me and my two older brothers. We turned out fine except when I was born I had low birth weight and was in intensive care for breathing problems. It's still weird when you see a pregnant woman smoking though.

This doesnt reflect turning out fine lol
  • WickedBean
    WickedBean Posts: 244 Member
    Options

Don't make *kitten* up you don't know what a Dr will do.

^^that.

I know for a fact that there are some OBGYN's out there that will tell women not to stop smoking. It has to do with high risk pregnancy's, medical history (multiple miscarriages due to stress etc) there are a lot of factors that attribute to that decision - sometimes you need to go with the lesser of 2 evils.. if nicotine withdrawal is going to impact the life of your baby (re: it could cause you to miscarry) than continuing your smoking is probably the best idea; It does not mean they condone smoking like a chimney, they mean to cut back drastically or at least that is my understanding. Do I agree with it? No but I also do not agree with the "you can have one glass a wine every so often while you are pregnant" either. Which is actually what 3 of my friend have recently been told.

To the OP, do you know this person? if not than mind your own business. She is not in your office, she is not blowing it in your face she is in a parking lot. I do not agree with smoking while being pregnant but to each their own; if it is not directly harming me than I tend to stay out of it.
  • SaraSillyRainbow
    Options
    I had a friend that did that.

Had.

I am no longer her friend solely because of that reason-- I just can't be friends with someone that does that.
  • avir8
    avir8 Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    There are some doctors that recommend heavy smokers that are pregnant NOT quit, especially if it is a high-risk pregnancy. The effects of nicotine withdrawal could be too much for the fetus to handle and she could lose the baby.

Just something to think about.
    This and some people should not be parents.
  • Chipmaniac
    Options
    There are some doctors that recommend heavy smokers that are pregnant NOT quit, especially if it is a high-risk pregnancy. The effects of nicotine withdrawal could be too much for the fetus to handle and she could lose the baby.

Personally, I think nosy people who like to meddle in other people's business shouldn't be parents. They might pass on their narrow-minded need to control everyone to their offspring.
  • quixoteQ
    quixoteQ Posts: 484
    Options
    Ok, there is a girl ( young looking like under 20) outside my office window who is quite pregnant and smoking like a freight train. I want to go out there and thump her...
    I almost feel obligated to that baby to go out there and tell her this is a non smoking facility and that means the parking lot too. BUT as an employee I feel like I have to keep my mouth shut.
    OPINIONS????

At least cigarettes are low carb. Now if she was eating a bag of Doritos, game on GF!
  • Kenzietea2
    Options

You are incorrect.

I don't see how an opinion could ever be wrong, or how it is wrong of me to choose to see a doctor that agrees the act of inhaling smoke during pregnancy is bad. I simply would not trust nor see a doctor who gave the go ahead to someone to continue to heavily smoke throughout the entire pregnancy.

Going back to the OP's comments though, I would NOT tell another woman to do as I do. Especially another pregnant woman. It is none of my business what people do to their bodies, ever. Especially after having incidents myself of people trying to control my body throughout pregnancy. I have a general opinion on smoking during pregnancy, but I would never interfere with someone's pregnancy specifically, just because I disagree.
  • rocksyraeis
    Options
    [/quote]

****in a right she is! ;p seriously though he is right, it doesnt matter what people think about pregnant women smoking, the law does not say its illegal for them to drink or smoke. Therefore no matter how badly you want to slap her, lecture her, yell at her, ect if she wants to continue to smoke she is fully entitled too under law. Technically some law doesnt even recognise a fetus as a life, it is considered an extension of your body as a woman. They cant prosecute woman who have done MUCH worse while the baby is attached after birth because of this, so until we recognise a fetus as a human life a seperate entity abortion, smoking, drinking, (while pregnant) ect will forever be legal.

Heres a link to prove my point:

http://www.sba-list.org/suzy-b-blog/mother-murders-child-and-walks-away.
  • quixoteQ
    quixoteQ Posts: 484
    Options

****in a right she is! ;p seriously though he is right, it doesnt matter what people think about pregnant women smoking, the law does not say its illegal for them to drink or smoke. Therefore no matter how badly you want to slap her, lecture her, yell at her, ect if she wants to continue to smoke she is fully entitled too under law. Technically some law doesnt even recognise a fetus as a life, it is considered an extension of your body as a woman. They cant prosecute woman who have done MUCH worse while the baby is attached after birth because of this, so until we recognise a fetus as a human life a seperate entity abortoion, smoking, drinking, ect will forever be legal.

Nice - someone who claims to not like government regulation hoping the government will replace science. Onward, people!
  • Chipmaniac
    Options

You are incorrect.

I don't see how an opinion could ever be wrong, or how it is wrong of me to choose to see a doctor that agrees the act of inhaling smoke during pregnancy is bad. I simply would not trust nor see a doctor who gave the go ahead to someone to continue to heavily smoke throughout the entire pregnancy.

Going back to the OP's comments though, I would NOT tell another woman to do as I do. Especially another pregnant woman. It is none of my business what people do to their bodies, ever. Especially after having incidents myself of people trying to control my body throughout pregnancy. I have a general opinion on smoking during pregnancy, but I would never interfere with someone's pregnancy specifically, just because I disagree.
    The term "moron" has an actual definition. It means someone with an IQ below a certain point. I would guess that plenty of the doctors recommending moderation rather than quitting have an IQ above that threshold. Thus your "opinion" that they are "morons" is incorrect.

A person can have the "opinion" that the sun revolves around the Earth. That person's opinion is 100% incorrect.
  • rocksyraeis
    Options

****in a right she is! ;p seriously though he is right, it doesnt matter what people think about pregnant women smoking, the law does not say its illegal for them to drink or smoke. Therefore no matter how badly you want to slap her, lecture her, yell at her, ect if she wants to continue to smoke she is fully entitled too under law. Technically some law doesnt even recognise a fetus as a life, it is considered an extension of your body as a woman. They cant prosecute woman who have done MUCH worse while the baby is attached after birth because of this, so until we recognise a fetus as a human life a seperate entity abortoion, smoking, drinking, ect will forever be legal.

Nice - someone who claims to not like government regulation hoping the government will replace science. Onward, people!

LOL ok so it wasnt the BEST place to read the story but its true none the less :)
  • Kenzietea2
    Options

You are incorrect.

The term "moron" has an actual definition. It means someone with an IQ below a certain point. I would guess that plenty of the doctors recommending moderation rather than quitting have an IQ above that threshold. Thus your "opinion" that they are "morons" is incorrect.

A person can have the "opinion" that the sun revolves around the Earth. That person's opinion is 100% incorrect.

Moron:
    Informal . a person who is notably stupid or lacking in good judgment.
    Psychology . (no longer in technical use; considered offensive) a person of borderline intelligence in a former and discarded classification of mental retardation, having an intelligence quotient of 50 to 69.

I was clearly referring to definition #1, words change meaning over time.

Opinion:
    1. a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty.

Disagreeing with a fact is not an opinion. Disagreeing with a doctor's logic, (and yes, there is no proven consensus that states what method is the proper way to deal with a pregnant smoker, doctors everywhere disagree) IS AN OPINION. *You* think my opinion is wrong.
  • ExplorinLauren
    ExplorinLauren Posts: 991 Member
    Options

To the person who said 'some doctors will advise women not to quit smoking because of nicotine withdraw'... Well that doctor is a moron. Although in some high risk pregnancies it would be risky giving up nicotine cold turkey, no mentally sound doctor will suggest depleting your blood O2 levels by inhaling any sort of smoke! They might suggest something like a nicotine patch to slowly wean yourself off nicotine completely, but no doctor is going to give the go ahead to continue smoking throughout pregnancy.

You are incorrect.

You said "no doctor is going to give the go ahead to continue smoking throughout pregnancy." But they do actually give the go ahead... and most Dr.s do this... Do you smoke? Do you have children? Have you been pregnant while being a smoker? Probably not... so I don't see where you can say that "no doctor would give the go ahead". You really don't know what Dr.s are doing for their patients. You are assuming, and yes stating an opinion, about a Dr. you would have, but you do not know whether or not doctors give the go ahead or not. Just sayin'.
  • Kenzietea2
    Options

To the person who said 'some doctors will advise women not to quit smoking because of nicotine withdraw'... Well that doctor is a moron. Although in some high risk pregnancies it would be risky giving up nicotine cold turkey, no mentally sound doctor will suggest depleting your blood O2 levels by inhaling any sort of smoke! They might suggest something like a nicotine patch to slowly wean yourself off nicotine completely, but no doctor is going to give the go ahead to continue smoking throughout pregnancy.

You are incorrect.

You said "no doctor is going to give the go ahead to continue smoking throughout pregnancy." But they do actually give the go ahead... and most Dr.s do this... Do you smoke? Do you have children? Have you been pregnant while being a smoker? Probably not... so I don't see where you can say that "no doctor would give the go ahead". You really don't know what Dr.s are doing for their patients. You are assuming, and yes stating an opinion, about a Dr. you would have, but you do not know whether or not doctors give the go ahead or not. Just sayin'.

You have to continue reading.. I said no doctor I would see. I wouldn't say *most* doctors do this, though. With a healthy pregnancy and no other risk factors, I can't imagine any doctor would tell someone to keep smoking.

BUT you are right, 100%. I have not been a smoker, ever. And it is unfair for me to judge individuals who smoke while pregnant or have to deal with having withdraws while pregnant. I cannot imagine the struggle they must have to deal with. If you go back and read anything else I've posted you'd see I do say I would never tell ANY pregnant woman what to do and what not to do with herself or her body. Especially considering I have had people tell ME what to do and it is so incredibly rude and thoughtless. I just have a general opinion on smoking during pregnancy.
  • ExplorinLauren
    ExplorinLauren Posts: 991 Member
    Options

Personally, I think nosy people who like to meddle in other people's business shouldn't be parents. They might pass on their narrow-minded need to control everyone to their offspring.

:laugh: