pregnant smokers

Options
lorib75
lorib75 Posts: 490 Member
Ok, there is a girl ( young looking like under 20) outside my office window who is quite pregnant and smoking like a freight train. I want to go out there and thump her...
I almost feel obligated to that baby to go out there and tell her this is a non smoking facility and that means the parking lot too. BUT as an employee I feel like I have to keep my mouth shut.
OPINIONS????

Replies

• spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    Maybe she is just fat.
  • hillm12345
    hillm12345 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    the ex smoker in me wants to tell you that it's none of your business and if she's outside, as sad as it is.. it's her right..

however, the health nut in me wants you to go out there and smack her upside the head for not only damaging herself, but her unborn baby.
  • stephmo86
    Options
    hah time traveled to 1960.
  • rob1976
    rob1976 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    There are some doctors that recommend heavy smokers that are pregnant NOT quit, especially if it is a high-risk pregnancy. The effects of nicotine withdrawal could be too much for the fetus to handle and she could lose the baby.

Just something to think about.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Her body. Her baby. Her business.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    my mom smoked with me and i turned out okay =D
  • lorib75
    Options
    To clarify, it is clearly posted on the doors of our building ( Medical Plaza ) that this is a non smoking facility.
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    this is a non smoking facility and that means the parking lot too.

Unfortunately, the laws usually state that it only means smokers have to be 50' from a building entrance which does not include the parking lot.
  • Nikachelle
    Nikachelle Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    How pissed off would you be if you found your mother was a smoker and you ended up with lung problems? Very. Effing. Pissed.
  • lorib75
    Options
    the ex smoker in me wants to tell you that it's none of your business and if she's outside, as sad as it is.. it's her right..

however, the health nut in me wants you to go out there and smack her upside the head for not only damaging herself, but her unborn baby.

• RealWomenLovePitbulls
    Options
    unofrtunately for that baby, if she is smoking like that while pregnant, she will probably have no problems smoking around the child after it is born (in the car, in the house, etc.) it's not fair for a child to not even have the choice of whether or not they have to breathe that crap, yet a lot of mothers (and fathers) make the decision to smoke around their children. I don't smoke and have never smoked, and when I have children, they are not going to be made to sit in a room filled with smoke. People know the bad effects of smoking and second hand smoke and it should be considered child abuse. I'm an adult and I don't like being around people who are smoking and I think it's just a selfish thing to do. I also work in a nursing home and see the effects of all those years of smoking, you think you can just quit anytime, but the longer you do it the worse off you are going to be. My grandma quit smoking over 20 years before she died, but she died with complications that were caused from the years that she did smoke (COPD and Sleep Apnea) which caused her to have heart problems and everything else. She was only 65
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Well wouldn't you be required to say something to her as an employee that she cannot smoke there? Pregnant or not?
  • lorib75
    Options
    this is a non smoking facility and that means the parking lot too.

Unfortunately, the laws usually state that it only means smokers have to be 50' from a building entrance which does not include the parking lot.

Sorry, but most states ( we are in MO) are passing laws that Healthcare facilities are to be non smoking, including the parking lot!
  • PaulieUK
    PaulieUK Posts: 11
    Options

I don't usually comment on forums but I just saw your replies...I have a friend (loosely speaking) that smoked during her last two pregnancies. Bother children are deaf as a result. Yes it was her business to quit but how do you think she now feels knowing that her smoking took away her child's hearing?

Just saying.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Yeah expectant mothers should be required to live in a sterilized bubble, a transparent one so that strangers can judge them
  • supertracylynn
    supertracylynn Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    There are some doctors that recommend heavy smokers that are pregnant NOT quit, especially if it is a high-risk pregnancy. The effects of nicotine withdrawal could be too much for the fetus to handle and she could lose the baby.

Just something to think about.

I've heard this same thing, that a woman misscarried some 3-4 times as a result from the stress and withdrawls of trying to quit smoking.
    Finally, she just scaled it back a bit when she got pregnant again, and carried a healthy baby to term.
    I also have a close friend who smoked through her whole pregnancy with her 3rd child while her husband was deployed. I had the pleasure of watching her perfectly healthy baby when she was about 5wks old.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    How pissed off would you be if you found your mother was a smoker and you ended up with lung problems? Very. Effing. Pissed.

Of course. I'm not saying what she is doing is a good idea, but a stranger approaching her in a parking lot, lecturing her on how bad smoking is will not change her mind. Everyone knows smoking isn't good for them.
  • apedeb09
    apedeb09 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel.. I feel the same everytime I see a pregnant chick smoking. I mean, I smoke too but all 3 times I was pregnant I quit as soon as I found out... Unfortunately there is really nothing you can do about it. :/
  • jennkain97
    jennkain97 Posts: 290 Member
    Options

i disagree. if she were doing drugs or drinking, that baby would likely be taken away from her at birth. why is it ok to poison a baby w/ nicotine (and the thousands of other chemicals in cigarettes)?
  • lorib75
    Options
    Maybe she is just fat.
    Unless her fat is shaped into beach ball roundness and only in her abdomen.....I'd say she's prego!