pregnant smokers

Options

Replies

• corrinnebrown
    corrinnebrown Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Same thing goes for the people that smoke with their children in the car. I want to beat the snot out of them..no its not her body, her kids, her business....its called lung cancer and shes gonna feel like a effiing moron when her child gets it
  • suzieqcookie
    suzieqcookie Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    i smoked early on with my last pregnancy under doctors orders... but weaned so i was done before i was 5 months...she was a, um, bonus baby. With the previous planned pregnancies, i quit before i got pregnant. Smoking during pregnancy under doctors orders usually is only until you can wean yourself. But smoking during pregnancy and the non-smoking facility are 2 very separate issues. No one, pregnant or not should smoke where they shouldn't.
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Effing gross. I can't STAND it when I see or hear of pregnant women smoking. WTF?:sick:
  • rok2run
    rok2run Posts: 17
    Options
    unfortunately whether you say something or not, even if she were to put out the cig in front of you, she will continue to do whatever she wants in private. I fully agree with your wanting to bob her one, but it wouldn't change a thing.

**BOP her one... lol not sure what "bobbing" someone would en-tale
  • kburns0709
    kburns0709 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    i had a similar dilemma, a woman that lives across the street from me smoked the whole time she was pregnant, and now brings the baby with her and holds it during smoke breaks

i just think its very sad because people smoked around me when i was a baby and i have pretty bad asthma because of it

its terrible because like someone said the child doesnt have any choice and it causes a lot of health problems that the child has to deal with throughout their lives because of something they had no control over
  • erikapereira
    Options
    Well wouldn't you be required to say something to her as an employee that she cannot smoke there? Pregnant or not?
    This ^^^
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Her body. Her baby. Her business.

I don't usually comment on forums but I just saw your replies...I have a friend (loosely speaking) that smoked during her last two pregnancies. Bother children are deaf as a result. Yes it was her business to quit but how do you think she now feels knowing that her smoking took away her child's hearing?

Just saying.

I don't agree with people smoking whilst pregnant, but there isn't much anyone can do, is there? The pregnant woman has the right to make her own choices. Whether we agree with them or not isn't the point.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    You are very unlikely to sway this stranger away from smoking, and technically she's not doing any illegal. Abhorrent, IMO, but not illegal.
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Same thing goes for the people that smoke with their children in the car. I want to beat the snot out of them..no its not her body, her kids, her business....its called lung cancer and shes gonna feel like a effiing moron when her child gets it

^This too.
  • jennkain97
    jennkain97 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    this is a non smoking facility and that means the parking lot too.

Unfortunately, the laws usually state that it only means smokers have to be 50' from a building entrance which does not include the parking lot.

if it is private property, their rules trump the "law". they have every right to make every inch of their property smoke free.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options

Really? What say does the baby get?
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    There are some doctors that recommend heavy smokers that are pregnant NOT quit, especially if it is a high-risk pregnancy. The effects of nicotine withdrawal could be too much for the fetus to handle and she could lose the baby.

Just something to think about.

This is true. & another reason why some people should mind their own business instead of judging others without knowing all of the facts. Just like those threads with people judging fat people for eating a Big Mac at a Mcdonald's. Smh.

If you hadn't mentioned the pregnancy and it was only about her smoking near a non-smoking facility, then the answer would have been obvious as an employee that you should just remind her not to smoke in the area.

However, I find people that usually post these kinds of things are just looking to stir up trouble.
  • lrichardson2360
    lrichardson2360 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    How pissed off would you be if you found your mother was a smoker and you ended up with lung problems? Very. Effing. Pissed.

True, but the baby would have to take that up with her mother. Unfortunately, it's not illegal. As a bartender, if I have a pregnant customer, I have to serve her otherwise the bar could be sued for discrimination. Again, it's not illegal. And I'm not talking about the occasional glass of wine either!
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    I dunno.
    I'm not a fan of the "not in my backyard" approach. In my opinion, I feel that is what is wrong with society today. Too many people minded their own business.

flame away.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    First of all, since I have been mistaken for a pregnant woman in the past, don't just assume she is.

If she is, even though it's not my business, I'd want to remind her of how she will/would feel if she had a stillborn child, a child with a heart defect etc., and the pain it would cause her and her baby. One of my friends had to deal with that, she will never know if it was from her smoking or not and has to live with it the rest of her life.

Women are better off knowing they did everything possible to have a healthy baby!
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Most smokers are aware of the health risks to themselves and specially during pregnancies to their child. Honestly, they don't care and the only thing you're going to be doing is satisfying your own ego.

In my opinion, let her be
  • RealWomenLovePitbulls
    Options

maybe we should apply this way of thinking to all things that can harm a child.... because her smoking can be harmful to her unborn child and later in life the second hand smoke can also cause that child serious issues... but it's her baby... next time someone leaves their small child in a hot car while they go inside, maybe we should all just say "oh well, it's her kid, it's her business"

I really hope they make smoking illegal someday. People who smoke... you do realize that the thing that "calms you down" when you are stressed ("omg, i really need a cig. right now") is the same thing that is causing u to get that stressed out about it in the first place?? I never HAVE to have something in order to cope with any situation in life, there is nothing that has such control over me that it's the only thing that will calm me down. It's just as bad as any other addiction
  • LaurySch
    LaurySch Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    How pissed off would you be if you found your mother was a smoker and you ended up with lung problems? Very. Effing. Pissed.

If I got pissed off at my mother for all the things she did wrong while pregnant with me I'd be one miserable *kitten*.

I agree with everyone else that says it's her body and her decision and if she thinks the risks outweigh the benefits then she's the one who has to live with it.

Now, if you had to keep going in and out you could politely ask her to follow the rules and smoke farther away from the entrance.
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options

I don't usually comment on forums but I just saw your replies...I have a friend (loosely speaking) that smoked during her last two pregnancies. Bother children are deaf as a result. Yes it was her business to quit but how do you think she now feels knowing that her smoking took away her child's hearing?

Just saying.

Have doctors actually told her that smoking caused her children's deafness? That's AWFUL!! I quit smoking the day I found out I was pregnant (admittedly I started again as soon as I'd finished breast feeding) I wouldn't want to take any risks with something as precious as my child's life
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options

Really? What say does the baby get?

None, unfortunately.