pregnant smokers

Options

Replies

• drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    Her body. Her baby. Her business.

This is one of the most ignorant posts i've seen on MFP
    Why is that ignorant? It's the truth? It's not illegal for her to smoke while she's pregnant.

Being from Dublin you must be well versed in US law
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options

A person isn't "ignorant" just because you disagree

I don't think anyone one without a mental disorder would think it's okay for someone to harm their baby unless they were very stupid or ignorant.
    I gave her the benefit of the doubt
    She didn't say it's ok, she said it's not your business.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options

Why is that ignorant? It's the truth? It's not illegal for her to smoke while she's pregnant.

Who cares? It's a true statement.
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options

I don't think anyone one without a mental disorder would think it's okay for someone to harm their baby unless they were very stupid or ignorant.

Had you read any further down you would see she never said it was OKAY. What she is saying it that it isn't YOUR business (or the OPs in this case) to tell that mother what she can and can't do

Had you
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options

So if you saw someone harming their child, would you ignore it because it is not your business?
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Go get her. She is an idiot.
  • missmgray
    missmgray Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    She knows what she's doing. It's her choice.

"I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it." ~ Voltaire

Agreed. Maybe she's just a really big fan of Mad Men? Jk. Seriously though, walk a mile in her shoes.
  • ElizabethRoad
    Options

So if you saw someone harming their child, would you ignore it because it is not your business?
    Harming a child is different than causing potential harm to a fetus. Seriously, what good do you think it would do to say something to this woman?
  • beckajw
    Options
    Maybe she's having an abortion tomorrow.
    Maybe she just had a miscarriage.
    Maybe she hasn't smoked since she got pregnant, but today was a horrible day and she figured a single cigarette would be ok.
    Maybe her doctor advised her that quitting would be too stressful.
    Maybe she's tried desperately to quit.
    Maybe she isn't even pregnant. She could be fat. She could have given birth months ago and never lost her belly.

No matter what, it's not your problem. What do you think, you're going to walk up and tell her smoking is bad for her baby, and she'll be shocked and stop immediately? She knows and she made her decision.

^^ THIS!
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options

What does where I live have to do with the fact that the statement you called ignorant is true? It's no one's business what she does with her body. If she wants to have an abortion then she can.
  • rocksyraeis
    Options
    There are some doctors that recommend heavy smokers that are pregnant NOT quit, especially if it is a high-risk pregnancy. The effects of nicotine withdrawal could be too much for the fetus to handle and she could lose the baby.

Just something to think about.

I've heard this same thing, that a woman misscarried some 3-4 times as a result from the stress and withdrawls of trying to quit smoking.
    Finally, she just scaled it back a bit when she got pregnant again, and carried a healthy baby to term.
    I also have a close friend who smoked through her whole pregnancy with her 3rd child while her husband was deployed. I had the pleasure of watching her perfectly healthy baby when she was about 5wks old.

This is ONLY true in the first three months as your risk of miscarriage greatly decreases after the 1st trimester, personally i believe anyone can quit and if you dont for your child your selfish and your parenting skills are quickly already beig demistrated with your lack of self control. I quit smoking three months into my pregnancy for my CHILD when your pregnant its no long JUST your body its an incubator for another life..my opinion.
  • freckledrats
    freckledrats Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Smoking is a personal choice. I don't hate on smokers, unless they're rude about their habit. Rude is not giving people a choice about breathing a cloud of gross-smelling, stinky, choking air. Most of my friends who smoke are not rude about it. They go outside. If I feel like talking to them is more interesting than not breathing smoke, I go join them. If I've had enough of the white tar clouds, I don't.

If you smoke by a building entrance, you're not giving people entering and leaving a choice about breathing your white tar cloud.

My mother was a very heavy smoker (she does the e-vapor cig thing now) and she used to get very defensive when I'd INVOLUNTARILY cough because I COULD NOT BREATHE PROPERLY in her tar cloud. I'm like, look, you can't complain I don't visit and then get mad when I do because I can't breathe in your house. You might not notice how terrible your habit smells or how stifling that cloud is because you breathe it everyday, but believe me, it is a real nuisance for people who aren't breathing it all the time.

I swear, if I ever develop a farting disease, I'm going to stand right next to the rudest smoker I know, ALL the time. Just for some perspective!
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    drmerc: Champion of Justice
  • rocksyraeis
    Options
    What does where I live have to do with the fact that the statement you called ignorant is true? It's no one's business what she does with her body. If she wants to have an abortion then she can.

NO OFFENSE but since WHEN does a man have the right to talk about abortion...? You have no idea what your even speaking about truly and you never EVER will understand it thats just biology.
  • ElizabethRoad
    Options
    NO OFFENSE but since WHEN does a man have the right to talk about abortion...? You have no idea what your even speaking about truly and you never EVER will understand it thats just biology..
    He's stating a fact.

And if men have no right to talk about abortion, you have no right to say that everyone is capable of quitting smoking.
  • rocksyraeis
    Options
    NO OFFENSE but since WHEN does a man have the right to talk about abortion...? You have no idea what your even speaking about truly and you never EVER will understand it thats just biology..
    He's stating a fact.

And if men have no right to talk about abortion, you have no right to say that everyone is capable of quitting smoking.

Thats an ignorant statement he cant get Pregnant i can smoke if i want to lol next time use an actual comparison NO offense.
  • beckajw
    Options

NO OFFENSE but since WHEN does a man have the right to talk about abortion...? You have no idea what your even speaking about truly and you never EVER will understand it thats just biology.

Calm down. He's just stating fact. The fact is, she can have an abortion and she can choose to smoke, drink, use nail polish, use zit cream, etc while pregnant. There are a lot of things that may impact the health of the baby while pregnant. Very few pregnant women agree with every single thing. Some continue to have their hair colored. Some continue to drink. Some continue to eat nitrates. What are you going to do, hunt every one of them down?

What she does is her business and only her business.
  • freckledrats
    freckledrats Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Why do people always tag "no offense" on things they say that they are pretty sure will cause offense? Do they think it's a magic phrase that will make people not be offended?

...no offense.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    I tell people off for smoking on our Smoke-Free campus all the time, pregnant or not. Usually gets me the finger.
  • ElizabethRoad
    Options
    He's stating a fact.

Thats an ignorant statement he cant get Pregnant i can smoke if i want to lol next time use an actual comparison NO offense.
    The comparison is that some people have addictions that make it nearly impossible to quit. You don't have that addiction so you don't know what you're talking about and you should shut up. No offense.