pregnant smokers

Options

Replies

• jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    wow...this day in age, with all the health information we have, hard to believe ........just wow
  • rocksyraeis
    Options

NO OFFENSE but since WHEN does a man have the right to talk about abortion...? You have no idea what your even speaking about truly and you never EVER will understand it thats just biology.

Unless you're able to produce the child without man juice, don't tell a father that he doesn't have a say in the childs future

If you are however able to create a baby all by yourself, well then congratulations because you're literally able to go and ____ yourself

This is true point taken im wrong, i was looking at it very differently. Im on a phone typing hence the horrible punctuation and perhaps some mispells.
  • Chipmaniac
    Chipmaniac Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    What? How does one write when they are stoned? How is that even? Look im done this is useless.
    Like you.
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    Her body. Her baby. Her business.

i disagree. if she were doing drugs or drinking, that baby would likely be taken away from her at birth. why is it ok to poison a baby w/ nicotine (and the thousands of other chemicals in cigarettes)?

I'm pretty sure the poster never said it was OKAY to poison the baby, she said it was her body, her baby and her business. If the woman is pregnant enough to show than her doctor or free clinic has already told her of the risks and she's obviously taking those risks with her child. Smoking is not illegal. Until smoking while pregnant is illegal, it will still be her business.
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Have a flower...thought better of that comment :laugh:
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Maybe the advocates for the smoking preggo chick can drum up some literature to support her reasoning for smoking while pregnant. The only one I have seen (albeit nothing scientific, only logic) is stressing the fetus with withdrawals.

Leave her be....why? Because someone says so? I don't understand. This society is so politically correct and so scared of each other that it is almost embarrassing. No one wants the government intervening with their lives (ie when or when not to smoke), but leave a person to govern themselves, and things go to hell in a hand basket.

Ok, so there may be a time or two where smoking doesn't affect the kid, but why even take the chance? Because you can? Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

There is a reason there are scientific studies out there, there are reasons why there are rules whether they be legal, ethical, or moral.

There are no advocates for her. There are merely people who accept that what she is doing is not illegal, and nobody can stop her. Nobody in this thread is in favour of pregnant women smoking.
  • StarvingDiva
    Options
    Her body. Her baby. Her business.

maybe we should apply this way of thinking to all things that can harm a child.... because her smoking can be harmful to her unborn child and later in life the second hand smoke can also cause that child serious issues... but it's her baby... next time someone leaves their small child in a hot car while they go inside, maybe we should all just say "oh well, it's her kid, it's her business"

I really hope they make smoking illegal someday. People who smoke... you do realize that the thing that "calms you down" when you are stressed ("omg, i really need a cig. right now") is the same thing that is causing u to get that stressed out about it in the first place?? I never HAVE to have something in order to cope with any situation in life, there is nothing that has such control over me that it's the only thing that will calm me down. It's just as bad as any other addiction

The government would lose too much revenue. It will never happen.
  • rocksyraeis
    Options

THIS ^ agreed.

Ugh, please don't agree with me. Your stance on whether or not a man has a say on abortion makes me want to smack you.

Also, punctuation is your friend. Use it.
    [/quote]

Because you dont agree with ONE thing i said means i cant agree with you seriously? Thats just ridiculous and for your information its not just me that think men havr no right to an opinion on abortion neither does the court system hence the reason a woman can go get an abortion even if her other half doesnt approve. I agree with the correction, a man should have a say because he is apart of the baby ive changed my stance.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    Maybe the advocates for the smoking preggo chick can drum up some literature to support her reasoning for smoking will pregnant. The only one I have seen (albeit nothing scientific, only logic) is stressing the fetus with withdrawals.

Leave her be....why? Because someone says so? I don't understand. This society is so politically correct and so scared of each other that it is almost embarrassing. No one wants the government intervening with their lives (ie when or when not to smoke), but leave a person to govern themselves, and things go to hell in a hand basket.

Ok, so there may be a time or two where smoking doesn't affect the kid, but why even take the chance? Because you can? Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

There is a reason there are scientific studies out there, there are reasons why there are rules whether they be legal, ethical, or moral.

But where do you draw the line? Smoking while pregnant doesn't hurt every baby. Drinking while pregnant doesn't hurt every baby. Eating sushi while pregnant doesn't hurt every baby. Drinking caffeine while pregnant doesn't hurt every baby. Eating nitrates while pregnant doesn't hurt every baby. Etc. Etc.

Why is it your place to decide which women to tell to stop doing something and which women to allow to continue?

I don't support the pregnant woman (please show a little respect) because I support smoking while pregnant. However, I do not believe it is your right to tell her what she can and cannot do. Just as she does not have the right to tell you what you can and cannot do.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Okay so there's this super young girl (under 20 is super young when you're an old lady mom like me) who is pregnant and is smoking. She could be alone and scared to be, well... a pregnant teen... maybe one who has made the decision to keep her baby at the expense of losing support from her parents or her boyfriend... oh the maybes...

So instead of brow-beating her over something like smoking while pregnant, maybe someone could offer her a caring ear, a cup of decaf and a friend for support.

Oh nevermind...
  • rocksyraeis
    Options
    What? How does one write when they are stoned? How is that even? Look im done this is useless.
    Like you.

I guess
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    Maybe the advocates for the smoking preggo chick can drum up some literature to support her reasoning for smoking while pregnant. The only one I have seen (albeit nothing scientific, only logic) is stressing the fetus with withdrawals.

There are no advocates for her. There are merely people who accept that what she is doing is not illegal, and nobody can stop her. Nobody in this thread is in favour of pregnant women smoking.
    great. did you even read the rest of my post?
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    Yeah I know I would love to thank my mother for smoking with me while she was pregnant with me, and smoking around me growing up. Because of it I now have COPD. I get the "perks" to her nicotine addiction - YAY

I pity the unborn child and future issues it shall have.
  • StarvingDiva
    Options
    this is a non smoking facility and that means the parking lot too.

Unfortunately, the laws usually state that it only means smokers have to be 50' from a building entrance which does not include the parking lot.

Not in Medical Facilities. When I worked in a hospital people couldn't smoke anywhere on the premises. They had to go across the street. I'm pretty sure that is the norm nowadays.

Anyway, you could say you're doing this for the protection of other visitors, but getting her to stop once isn't going to make much difference. Very sad situation. That poor little unborn child.

That can't be the law everywhere because I see nurses and doctors right outside the doors at hospitals and medical facilities all the time smoking. So I don't think that law applies to every state.
  • rocksyraeis
    Options
    Okay so there's this super young girl (under 20 is super young when you're an old lady mom like me) who is pregnant and is smoking. She could be alone and scared to be, well... a pregnant teen... maybe one who has made the decision to keep her baby at the expense of losing support from her parents or her boyfriend... oh the maybes...

So instead of brow-beating her over something like smoking while pregnant, maybe someone could offer her a caring ear, a cup of decaf and a friend for support.

Oh nevermind...

In a perfect world.
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    Maybe the advocates for the smoking preggo chick can drum up some literature to support her reasoning for smoking will pregnant. The only one I have seen (albeit nothing scientific, only logic) is stressing the fetus with withdrawals.

But where do you draw the line? Smoking while pregnant doesn't hurt every baby. Drinking while pregnant doesn't hurt every baby. Eating sushi while pregnant doesn't hurt every baby. Drinking caffeine while pregnant doesn't hurt every baby. Eating nitrates while pregnant doesn't hurt every baby. Etc. Etc.

Why is it your place to decide which women to tell to stop doing something and which women to allow to continue?

I don't support the pregnant woman (please show a little respect) because I support smoking while pregnant. However, I do not believe it is your right to tell her what she can and cannot do. Just as she does not have the right to tell you what you can and cannot do.

please rephrase what you wrote by accusing me of "deciding" and "telling". There is no mention of me, personally, "telling" or "deciding" anything.

By listing excuses for her reasons to smoke and by stating that babies turn out ok during a smoking pregnancy denotes a bit of advocacy on her part. This is not something I "decided".
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options

Oh nevermind...

In a perfect world.

I know, right? So maybe just leave her alone :ohwell:
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options

please rephrase what you wrote by accusing me of "deciding" and "telling". There is no mention of me, personally, "telling" or "deciding" anything.

By listing excuses for her reasons to smoke and by stating that babies turn out ok during a smoking pregnancy denotes a bit of advocacy on her part. This is not something I "decided".

Ha ha...okay...
  • misskatibear
    misskatibear Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    This thread, just blew my mind. I'm actually dead now, from all the mind blowing.
  • rocksyraeis
    Options
    Yeah I know I would love to thank my mother for smoking with me while she was pregnant with me, and smoking around me growing up. Because of it I now have COPD. I get the "perks" to her nicotine addiction - YAY

I pity the unborn child and future issues it shall have.

Thats terrible :(