pregnant smokers

Options

Replies

• rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    she could be having a realy ****y day, you dont know her or what she going thru. and alot of people struggle to give up the things they used to enjoy before they where prego, er go bad day...
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    There are some doctors that recommend heavy smokers that are pregnant NOT quit, especially if it is a high-risk pregnancy. The effects of nicotine withdrawal could be too much for the fetus to handle and she could lose the baby.

Just something to think about.

this.
  • BryVia12
    BryVia12 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I know a woman who will go outside of her house to smoke so she isn't around her children, yet she smoked during all of her pregnancies. Oh and don't even try to sneeze around one of her kids!! I don't get it!
  • jlfred
    jlfred Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Yeah expectant mothers should be required to live in a sterilized bubble, a transparent one so that strangers can judge them

Love this!!
  • Kristan_Forsey
    Kristan_Forsey Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    In my country you cannot smoke in a car if their are people under 16 in the car. There is a hefty fine for doing so.
  • liss125
    liss125 Posts: 77
    Options
    I dunno.
    I'm not a fan of the "not in my backyard" approach. In my opinion, I feel that is what is wrong with society today. Too many people minded their own business.

flame away.

Being overweight is harmful to your health. Should we "flame away" and yell out the window "HEY FATTY" at all the overweight people?

Where is this invisible line we're drawing??

I think that smoking and being overweight are different things. An overweight person isn't a public health issue. Smoking is. Smoking not only affects the smoker, but those around them (especially a gestating infant.) I, personally, wouldn't condone name-calling in either case :) Though it is hard for me not to speak up when someone is blatantly stacking the odds against their unborn baby.

Overweight people absolutely are a public health issue in countries that have public healthcare... Canada, UK... etc.

You are right. I worded that wrong:P My point was a guy eating a plate of cheese fries doesn't affect his neighbor. Smoking does. It wasn't a very well thought out point.
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    Only trashy people smoke. It didn't used to be that way. Now the only ones left doing it are the loud-mouthed, bleached-blonde, bowling, bus driving bimbos with a raspy voice and leather skin that hang out in bars.

They also stink, pollute my air, throw their trash on the ground and out the windows, raise our medical costs, ruin cars, ruin their health, other's health, start fires, etc.

Yeah, I'm bitter and I stereotype today's defensive smokers. My father smoked and he died from it so it's a sensitive subject for me.

If you smoke, get help and stop! People get off meth, you can get off your filthy cigarettes.

That is all.

And you are perfect because????

Because she doesn't smoke DUH! /sarcasm
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    Would all these anti-smoking dictators screaming "slap her" etc run into McDonald's, knock a burger out of somebody's hand and shout "stop eating that, fatty"?

Maybe if people minded their own business first instead of trying to mind every other persons business.
  • nursenessa1
    nursenessa1 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Her body. Her baby. Her business.
  • ashleyconstantine
    ashleyconstantine Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Holy Jesus.
    Nosey much?

Her body, her baby.
    Stick to worrying about yourself.
  • WowingOverWhinging
    Options
    There's a difference between legal obligations and personal obligations. Unfortunately, that would go under personal and as much as I agree that she is being pretty idiotic and ruining the health of her future child, AND herself, she still has every right to do as she pleases.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I dunno.
    I'm not a fan of the "not in my backyard" approach. In my opinion, I feel that is what is wrong with society today. Too many people minded their own business.

flame away.

Being overweight is harmful to your health. Should we "flame away" and yell out the window "HEY FATTY" at all the overweight people?

Where is this invisible line we're drawing??

good gawd. Just stop and think a minute. one does not have to be a sh1tbag about it....geeezzz. Don't be so defensive.
    Also, in forum speak, flaming is a result of brash and disagreed comments towards the despised comment.

*LOL* I thought it was an interesting debate, not an immediate digression to sh*tbag. I see I was wrong. We wouldn't have an interesting debate at all.

ok, let me simplify it.

I think too many people turn and look the other way.
    One does not have to be a sh1tbag when taking a stand about something. One does not have to tell the smoker, "fatty" or whatever in a negative way. One can use tact. I don't call people names because they smoke, are fat, or whatever. They clearly have a problem. Again, one can use TACT and not be a sh1tbag about it.

I wasn't trying to debate you. There is nothing to debate. I have no scientific citations to back my opinion. It is strictly my opinion.

My bad... I didn't realize your initial suggestion to "flame" the smoking pregnant girl was in fact the tactful and non-sh*tbaggy way to solve the problem. Carry on...
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options

This is one of the most ignorant posts i've seen on MFP
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options

Why is that ignorant? It's the truth? It's not illegal for her to smoke while she's pregnant.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options

A person isn't "ignorant" just because you disagree
  • bethanytowell
    bethanytowell Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    so.... what if both children were born deaf and she didnt smoke? Then the dr.'s would say, oh darn, you just have bad luck. THERE IS NO PROOF THAT SMOKING ACTUALLY CAUSES THE FETUS MEDICAL PROBLEMS. some people need to read the facts and speak with physicians before you speak on a topic that you know nothing of. You are on a diet website, get a grip and stop criticizing people! obviously you arent perfect either otherwise you wouldnt be here. How would you like it if the employees of mcdonalds posted on facebook how they wish they could tell you to stop shoveling bigmacs because they are harmful to you? Yeah, thats what i thought. GROW UP!
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    In my country you cannot smoke in a car if their are people under 16 in the car. There is a hefty fine for doing so.

The same in California!
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options

A person isn't "ignorant" just because you disagree

I don't think anyone one without a mental disorder would think it's okay for someone to harm their baby unless they were very stupid or ignorant.
    I gave her the benefit of the doubt
  • bethanytowell
    bethanytowell Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    As a smoker, and a mother of 2 perfectly healthy girls.....both over 8 lbs at birth.....I would advise you to mind your own business. Not only is it none of your business....but you may be surprised when the hormonal pregnant woman in the throes of a nicotine fit...might actually turn around and kick YOUR *kitten*......just sayin.....mind your business....get back to work....

I couldnt have said it better myself!
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Maybe she's having an abortion tomorrow.
    Maybe she just had a miscarriage.
    Maybe she hasn't smoked since she got pregnant, but today was a horrible day and she figured a single cigarette would be ok.
    Maybe her doctor advised her that quitting would be too stressful.
    Maybe she's tried desperately to quit.
    Maybe she isn't even pregnant. She could be fat. She could have given birth months ago and never lost her belly.

No matter what, it's not your problem. What do you think, you're going to walk up and tell her smoking is bad for her baby, and she'll be shocked and stop immediately? She knows and she made her decision.