Things You've Noticed As You've Lost Weight

Options
I saw this comment in another thread and started to reply there, but then decided not to hijack the thread but this is what made me start to think..... Whether you've lost a little weight, or a lot, I think ALL of us start to notice things more as we lose. ( i know there's a similar thread like this floating around but a new one might be fun! )
I sometimes feel like I live in bizzaro world for sure. Whether it's at work, at the grocery store, at a restaurant, or whatever. I look around me sometimes and realize that a) almost everyone I see is significantly overweight and b) for more than half my life I was just like them.

OMG this all day long. everywhere (except the gym cause bigger or smaller, everyone there is trying to better themselves LOL) !

and i (1) never comment cause... rude BUT (2) think how much HAPPIER and BETTER they would feel if they lost even just a LITTLE weight.

It's also strange now to be among the smaller of my friends.

It's strange to have more energy and be slightly confused when a friend says they're exhausted (went to a concert and spent 4 hours dancing and drinking and bopping up and down and could have gone much longer. My friend could barely make it back to the car, poor thing! )

To see friends or acquaintances trying to lose weight and knowing they won't succeed because of the method they are using.

physically, the list is way long lol - to have hip bones (WHAT???? lololol), shoulder blades, collar bones....

to be able to buy stuff in any store. and the stores you USED to have to shop in, do not carry your current size!

Along with that, KNOWING you look good in your clothes ;)

There's so much more but .... that will kick it off!

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Being the person that claimed she was allergic to exercise for the first 55 years of her life, I now wonder how anyone cannot exercise at all.
    I have a lot of couch potato friends that just don't get the 'exercise is good for me' person I have turned into.

A persons weight, I only comment to myself about it.

Cheers, h.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    Being the person that claimed she was allergic to exercise for the first 55 years of her life, I now wonder how anyone cannot exercise at all.
    I have a lot of couch potato friends that just don't get the 'exercise is good for me' person I have turned into.

yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I saw this comment in another thread and started to reply there, but then decided not to hijack the thread but this is what made me start to think..... Whether you've lost a little weight, or a lot, I think ALL of us start to notice things more as we lose. ( i know there's a similar thread like this floating around but a new one might be fun! )
    I sometimes feel like I live in bizzaro world for sure. Whether it's at work, at the grocery store, at a restaurant, or whatever. I look around me sometimes and realize that a) almost everyone I see is significantly overweight and b) for more than half my life I was just like them.

OMG this all day long. everywhere (except the gym cause bigger or smaller, everyone there is trying to better themselves LOL) !

It's strange to have more energy and be slightly confused when a friend says they're exhausted (went to a concert and spent 4 hours dancing and drinking and bopping up and down and could have gone much longer. My friend could barely make it back to the car, poor thing! )

To see friends or acquaintances trying to lose weight and knowing they won't succeed because of the method they are using.

all of this but especially the bolded statement. My best friend falls for every gimmick, every fad, every false promise. I love her... but I seriously want to smack her face until she gets some sense. It takes all the willpower I can muster not to "I told you so" on a regular basis (and sometimes I fail, good thing she's also forgiving).

Of the two of us I am now smaller, which had never been the case in our 25+ years of friendship and is truly bizarre to me.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    Options
    Phrick wrote: »

all of this but especially the bolded statement. My best friend falls for every gimmick, every fad, every false promise. I love her... but I seriously want to smack her face until she gets some sense. It takes all the willpower I can muster not to "I told you so" on a regular basis (and sometimes I fail, good thing she's also forgiving).

Of the two of us I am now smaller, which had never been the case in our 25+ years of friendship and is truly bizarre to me.

yeah. last night at my sons basketball game i was sitting with a good friend and talking. shes decided to lose weight. by eating a half cup of cheerios every 2 hours.

ummmm . ok.

i told her to make sure she eats at least 1000 cals a day (shes short like i am).

however, to prove the point the number on the scale doesn't tell the whole story .... shes 15 pounds lighter than i am, but im smaller in size. she didnt understand that, either .... ;)
  • amyr271
    amyr271 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I no longer look at food as food, I look at it as how many calories it holds and I start tallying up what I see other people eat and how it ties up to what they weigh. I don't do this as a way to judge, its almost subconscious.

• Domicinator
    Domicinator Posts: 261 Member
    Options

and i (1) never comment cause... rude BUT (2) think how much HAPPIER and BETTER they would feel if they lost even just a LITTLE weight.

physically, the list is way long lol - to have hip bones (WHAT???? lololol), shoulder blades, collar bones....

to be able to buy stuff in any store. and the stores you USED to have to shop in, do not carry your current size!

Ha! I was just surfing around in here and saw this by pure chance! It's kind of an outside looking in feeling sometimes when you realize you're not in that world of constant overeating anymore and you take the blinders off. And no, of course you never comment about it, but the delusions people have about their weight and overall health are pretty mind blowing.

Some more observations I've had:
    1) I'm always cold. Always. We went to Florida in December and I was cold 90% of the time.
    2) My bones are sharper. I rolled over in bed the other night to cuddle up with my wife and she said, "Your ribs are stabbing me in the back!!!"
    3) I have 500% more energy. I can wrestle with my kids and race them up and down the sidewalk without feeling like I'm going to pass out. We walked about 20,000 steps a day at Disney World, and I still had energy to burn when we got back to the hotel.
    4) People are nicer to me. This one is unfortunate. How nice someone is to you shouldn't depend on your physical appearance, but it totally does for some people. I like to think I treat everyone the same, but not everyone is like that.
  • toe1226
    toe1226 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    yesssss I have a friend who has decided to lose weight but eats very large quantities of oatmeal, cheese, fruits, "healthy" things, but tons of them, and doesn't get why they are not losing...

I also notice how many people use MFP! Notifications from all ya'll are poppin up on my iphone all the time, at first I was embarassed, but now I'm really glad they do, because sooo many of my girlfriends have responded with "omg! you use MFP? I love that app"- and I think it makes everyone feel more comfortable to know that we all appreciate a little help with these things!
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    oh @Domicinator - your #4. I hate that one. Because as a woman it's not just people being nicer in general, although that is part of it - but there is a lot more attention from men and not all of it is pleasant. In fact it has gotten downright skeevy sometimes and it is really, really uncomfortable. I even asked for a bigger, flashier wedding band for Christmas to help make it more obvious that I'm not looking (not that I think it will really stop many people but if it stops even one...)
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

I have a similar situation. I have a girlfriend who has two children (born in 2010 and 2014) and since her first pregnancy she has gained quite a bit of weight - she's only 5'3 so it shows very easily on her frame. I am 5'10 and am a bigger person than she is. So over the last 8 - 10 months she's mentioned to me on several occasions how she's so impressed by how much weight I've lost and how hard I work for it and such, and just last week she texted me and was like I'm going to join a gym . . . I've gained too much weight and I need to fix it, somehow. So I'm like good for you - super proud of you and I'm here to chat/motivate/cry with you whenever you need it.

She texts me after her first work out - with a trainer! They sold her on "personal training" which at this gym is basically someone who took a one year course on fitness and health and walks around in lulu lemon all day. They don't really know a lot about what it takes to lose weight when you've been significantly overweight for a long time.

Anyways, so she did this physical assessment. Based on her weigh in, she's gained 70lbs since 2010 buuuuuut 30 of that is muscle, so you know it's not as bad as it sounds. I'm like hold up - you're a woman who had two babies and did not work out for 5 almost 6 years. It's hard enough for women to gain muscle as it is when they're actually trying to do it but there's no way you gained almost 6 lbs muscle/year when you weren't even trying AND you were having babies so you're female hormones would be all whacky to begin with.

With that in mind, she went on this binge of protein shakes and lifting and whatever. And I was really happy that she wants to be healthier and get the weight gone but I'm like you're not going to gain muscle like this and you aren't going to drop fat/gain muscle as the same time, you kind of have to do one or the other.

And the way she looked at me I could tell she wanted to say something like "you're still bigger than me, so what do you know" but she just said well this woman is a personal trainer, I think she knows what she's talking about it. It's hurting our friendship but I just don't want her going into this thinking something that isn't true or having false hope.

ETA: I also have a lot of friends who advocate for this "protein and veg" diet so when I eat carbs they look at me like well I guess everyone has a cheat day. But I'm like when you're complaining that you don't have any energy or you're starving all day this is why . . . and it's darn sure why you hate diets and get super hangry when you're on them. I wanna scream at them sometimes . . . like sure, I'm still bigger than you but I've lost 90 freaking pounds on my own and kept it off. Sure I'm not where I want to be or even close to a "normal" BMI but I'm working at it and clearly I've done something that works . . . so you and your protein and veg diet can just go and cry in a corner.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    Options

Ha! I was just surfing around in here and saw this by pure chance! It's kind of an outside looking in feeling sometimes when you realize you're not in that world of constant overeating anymore and you take the blinders off. And no, of course you never comment about it, but the delusions people have about their weight and overall health are pretty mind blowing.

Some more observations I've had:
    1) I'm always cold. Always. We went to Florida in December and I was cold 90% of the time.
    2) My bones are sharper. I rolled over in bed the other night to cuddle up with my wife and she said, "Your ribs are stabbing me in the back!!!"
    3) I have 500% more energy. I can wrestle with my kids and race them up and down the sidewalk without feeling like I'm going to pass out. We walked about 20,000 steps a day at Disney World, and I still had energy to burn when we got back to the hotel.
    4) People are nicer to me. This one is unfortunate. How nice someone is to you shouldn't depend on your physical appearance, but it totally does for some people. I like to think I treat everyone the same, but not everyone is like that.

#4 big time

people also SEE you and not look PAST you

and yes to the freezing. always freaking freezing!!!!!
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options

This . . . so much this. I know a couple people who are diabetic and at a wedding we went to last summer they had to leave twice to inject insulin because there was more food and alcohol than expected. I was like really? So that's the solution? Not stop eating or pace yourself or control your intake . . . no, just take some insulin problem = gone.
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Having a whole bunch to lose, it has taken over 100 pounds but at church the other day several folks told me something looks different after I was speaking in front of the church. When I told them I's lost over 100 pounds over 2 years they were stunned. When I unbuttoned my scout shirt (it's OK was wearing a scout t-shirt under it) and wrapped it around my body half way again I think they believed me. Nothing like losing 15 inches in your shirt waist to make your shirts a bit looser.
  • Domicinator
    Options
    Having a whole bunch to lose, it has taken over 100 pounds but at church the other day several folks told me something looks different after I was speaking in front of the church. When I told them I's lost over 100 pounds over 2 years they were stunned. When I unbuttoned my scout shirt (it's OK was wearing a scout t-shirt under it) and wrapped it around my body half way again I think they believed me. Nothing like losing 15 inches in your shirt waist to make your shirts a bit looser.

I got my "fat guy coat" out of the hall closet the other day, and I was able to wrap it around my wife and zip us both up into it. Isn't that kind of stuff crazy????
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

I have noticed this a lot too. When I was heavy, I didn't really have any bad experiences of people saying anything rude to me about it or feeling like I was ignored or anything like that. Being overweight is extremely common, enough that you can be heavy and blend in, at least around here where I live. In a way, that made it easy for me to continue gaining weight for quite awhile without really thinking too much about its negative effect on my life.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

I have noticed this a lot too. When I was heavy, I didn't really have any bad experiences of people saying anything rude to me about it or feeling like I was ignored or anything like that. Being overweight is extremely common, enough that you can be heavy and blend in, at least around here where I live. In a way, that made it easy for me to continue gaining weight for quite awhile without really thinking too much about its negative effect on my life.

i live in rural NC.

even being normal sized and not 'thin' - is a pretty rare occurrence.....
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I have a long ways to go but the thing I've noticed is I'm not out of breath as much unless it's a really steep incline or I'm running. I used to walk up the stairs and be winded from it, not anymore.

I also used to need 3 or 4 breaks being completely winded while walking from the farmers market to our car which was about 6 or 7 blocks up a small incline hill. A few weeks ago my husband and I walked it again and around block #3 or #4 he said, "don't you need a break?" Nope! Didn't stop or need breaks at all.

Yesterday I walked there from work on my lunch break! NSV! If it's as nice today as it was yesterday I'll be heading back.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options

Yep. I don't get any of the "cool" or "creepy" things happening (being hit on, gawked at, etc.), but people will hold store doors open for me and step out of my way when I say excuse me.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »

Yep. I don't get any of the "cool" or "creepy" things happening (being hit on, gawked at, etc.), but people will hold store doors open for me and step out of my way when I say excuse me.

im in a lot of bars on the weekends and definitely get more attention than i used to. I can also get rid of it pretty quick. and if i can't, my friends are quick to step in. and seeing as one of them is 6' and hmmm maybe 240 .... they back off ;)
  • Domicinator
    Options
    oh @Domicinator - your #4. I hate that one. Because as a woman it's not just people being nicer in general, although that is part of it - but there is a lot more attention from men and not all of it is pleasant. In fact it has gotten downright skeevy sometimes and it is really, really uncomfortable. I even asked for a bigger, flashier wedding band for Christmas to help make it more obvious that I'm not looking (not that I think it will really stop many people but if it stops even one...)

Yes, I know there's that element to it as well and it's inexcusable. My wife, my sister and many other women I know deal with it all the time and it's just a shame. I never fully realized what a constant problem this was for women until a couple of years ago and since then have decided that we ALL need to be feminists. Men, women, everybody. It has to stop.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    Options

Yes, I know there's that element to it as well and it's inexcusable. My wife, my sister and many other women I know deal with it all the time and it's just a shame. I never fully realized what a constant problem this was for women until a couple of years ago and since then have decided that we ALL need to be feminists. Men, women, everybody. It has to stop.

i prefer ' humanists' we are all humans and deserve to be treated with respect and not like an object.

unless i give you permission to treat me like an object, but by that point you're not a random stranger at the gas station LOLOLOLOL