anyone else get super frustrated at friends/co workers?

Options

Replies

• dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    What DOES bother me is when I say 'no thank you' to the chocolate peanut butter cookies they are offering me at 9:30am.....and they start getting insistent, commenting that I'm thin, I can afford to eat a few cookies......so I politely and briefly explain "I'm watching what I eat, so no thank you"......and they comment "Well geez, what you must think of me, if you're watching your weight!"
    I'm dying to say "Your morbid obesity is your issue, not mine....I actually don't think of your body at all. I'm too self-absorbed for that"
    Oh I know this one, been there done that. My response is along the lines of "No, thank you" and if they then start on the insistent, commenting that I'm thin, I can afford to eat a few cookies..... I state; really no thank you If they continue (and they have done) I smile sweetly, look at them and ask, which part is not completely clear? The N part or the O part? Usually stops them right there and then.

• Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    I'm petite and pretty happy with my weight but watch my cico and wouldn't mind dropping a few more pounds. At work I have to pretend that I'm not watching my weight, I don't know how much I weigh or what my waist measures-otherwise I get accused of having an ed. Oh and I'm too skinny to discuss weight loss or having a fat-day because it offends overweight colleagues!
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    bump
  • tannibal_lecter
    tannibal_lecter Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I don't care what other people want to do with their bodies, and I would hope people wouldn't have any opinions about what I do with mine. Body policing is lame.
  • afatpersonwholikesfood
    afatpersonwholikesfood Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I don't care what other people want to do with their bodies, and I would hope people wouldn't have any opinions about what I do with mine. Body policing is lame.

This x 1,000,000

• tannibal_lecter
    tannibal_lecter Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    @afatpersonwholikesfood let's be friends :)
  • fattymcrunnerpants
    fattymcrunnerpants Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Thankfully no one talks about food in my office that way right now. But in a previous office I had the food police brigade. All these women talked about was dieting, how fat they were (none of them were overweight at all), how much they wanted salad. Honestly, made me want to barf. IDK how I got out of there without having some major body insecurity. I was the only one there who was heavy. I personally just stay out of such talk because it's not productive in any manner.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    smantha32 wrote: »
    bump

You can favorite/bookmark threads by clicking the star to the right of the title/headline - either inside the discussion or in the list. The star will turn yellow. I don't know if it works in the app, though, I'm using the web version.
  • WyshIKnew
    WyshIKnew Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • ZeroDelta
    ZeroDelta Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    peleroja wrote: »
    I don't talk about this stuff with people IRL if I can help it, and if they ask I give a vague "Oh, you know, I watch my calories and try to stay active," because it's just not worth it.

+1 It really annoys me when I give them the rundown on what I'm doing and I get the "that sounds like too much work" response. 5 minutes I'll never get back. :(

• MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    ZeroDelta wrote: »
    peleroja wrote: »
    I don't talk about this stuff with people IRL if I can help it, and if they ask I give a vague "Oh, you know, I watch my calories and try to stay active," because it's just not worth it.

+1 It really annoys me when I give them the rundown on what I'm doing and I get the "that sounds like too much work" response. 5 minutes I'll never get back. :(

Why can't they just nod sadly while thinking "oh, you poor thing" like normal people???
  • ZeroDelta
    ZeroDelta Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    moesis wrote: »
    I have one that makes me shake my head. She is a 300+ pound woman that sits across from me. Yesterday she was giving one of her team members disgusted looks and asking her how she could drink that crap, referring to her green smoothie. Then she talks about eating an entire pizza for dinner, and complains about not being able to lose weight while shoving her face full of popcorn.

Don't tell her anything about dieting. She knows everything. She's been doing it for 30 years. :wink:
  • Domicinator
    Domicinator Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I sometimes feel like I live in bizzaro world for sure. Whether it's at work, at the grocery store, at a restaurant, or whatever. I look around me sometimes and realize that a) almost everyone I see is significantly overweight and b) for more than half my life I was just like them.

Being officially at a "healthy" weight now, it makes me crazy that those same people are always the ones giving me advice or trying to knock me down.

A majority of people here in the US are overweight or obese, and we're a nation that expects instant gratification out of everything. So when I tell people that I lost 70 lbs by eating at a calorie deficit for the last 9 months, and that yes, sometimes by the time I go to bed at night my tummy is grumbling a little bit, they look horrified. How could I possibly put up with any kind of discomfort in my belly just to lose weight!!??

It's an epidemic problem in America. We're so worried about how we look but are too lazy to do anything about it so we'd rather criticize others for how they look and how they do things. I actually get pretty frustrated by it. It doesn't help when morbidly obese celebrities get on TV and encourage others to be the same way. That it's perfectly normal for a human being to be that large and have a healthy life. Oh, and buy my new plus size clothing line while you're at it. It's available at Walmart.

Most people in this nation have it all completely wrong about food. If any of this delusional thinking or fad dieting worked, we wouldn't be in the situation we're in.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    It really kills me when people ask me what I'm doing and when I tell them, they look at me like I'm crazy. As if I'm doing the "all cabbage diet all day" or something. I eat real food, and log it. SEVERAL months after I started logging and losing, etc., my husband started logging. He said he couldn't believe how bad the food he was eating was - when he thought he was eating reasonably healthy. I just feel like telling them that nothing's going to change if they aren't willing to change something. But like you it usually falls on deaf ears.

Like others have said, they aren't really looking for help - they just want to share their pitiful lot in life in how hard it is for them to lose.
  • sunfastrose
    sunfastrose Posts: 543 Member
    Options

This x 1,000,000

Agreed. I'm seeing a lot of cattiness in this thread. You've found your way - great! But for most people (myself included) finding that way was not easy. I know I wouldn't have wanted to be judged when I was still figuring things out.
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    You know what's really frustrating??? Every morning at my work we all gather around and one of the managers gives out "health tips"... which is another term for internet bro science written by idiots. It literally hurts me to have to bite my tongue.
  • VictoryGarden
    VictoryGarden Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    So yeah, I had to google what 'bro science' was.

I apparently need to get out more.

:)
  • WyshIKnew
    WyshIKnew Posts: 75 Member
    Options

This x 1,000,000

Agreed. I'm seeing a lot of cattiness in this thread. You've found your way - great! But for most people (myself included) finding that way was not easy. I know I wouldn't have wanted to be judged when I was still figuring things out.

True, but what some of the peeps are saying on this thread is that they have done it or are well on the way to doing it and they are being asked for advice on how they did it. When they tell people that it is a simple matter of eating a bit less and doing a bit more they get 'the look' and told that it doesn't work.

I think it is mostly frustration rather than cattiness. Most of the posts I've seen on this thread are regarding the posters being asked for advice rather than offering unsolicited advice.

It can be a bit frustrating when you have put in the work to get yourself in shape and after asking your advice Mr Tub o' lard confidently assures you that it won't work and what you need to do is gorge yourself for three to five days and then starve yourself for two. Or only eat protein on a Monday, Carbs on a Tuesday unless it is the 15th of the month and you must only eat carrots and cabbage and wear your underpants on your head etc.

Body policing is lame but so is asking someone for advice on an issue in which they have been successful and you have failed at many times, totally ignoring that advice and then telling them that their advice is a crock.
  • MsMaeFlowers
    MsMaeFlowers Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I just had a coworker tell me that the ONLY way to lose weight is by cutting out sugar, that CICO doesn't work at all. It's just about sugar.

Funny, since I seem to be losing weight with CICO, and I still eat sugary foods when I want them. I just work them into my day. I've also lost twice the amount of weight in the same time as he has. But no, CICO doesn't work at all ;)

I know cutting sugar is good for you, but it's not the only way to lose weight.