anyone else get super frustrated at friends/co workers?

Options

Replies

• Naener
    Naener Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    it was so horribly frustrating when I originally lost weight over a year ago... everyone wanted to know my secret! they were so impressed and interested... until i told them that i stick to between 1300-1700 calories a day depending on how much I worked out that day... track calories in and out and work out 5 days a week.

WHAT?! ?NO MAGIC PILLS FOR ME?! NO SLEEP HYPNOSIS TO MAKE ME WAKE UP LOOKING LIKE SCARLET JOHANNSON?! peace out.

it actually hurt my feelings at first because some people actually have the deluded gall to LOOK DOWN on us after they discover that were doing it "the hard way". wtf?! lol im over it now, i gotta focus on my own journey... if people ask, i still tell them, but i dont get in depth unless i feel that they have the drive to try it and actually HEAR me.
  • courtneyf819
    courtneyf819 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Soopatt wrote: »
    Adults can do what they like, but what I struggle with are the kids. Well, the parents of those kids rather.

My partner runs a geeking venue (board games, pc games, that sort of thing) and it has a snack bar. I am there pretty much all the time as our house is attached to the club. There is a couple who visit regularly that bring their little girl along with them - she must be about 8 or 9. She asks for food constantly so that they will come over to her (I think what she really wants is more of their time and attention) and they give in all the time, as well as bringing her things unprompted.

The venue provides free tea, coffee and hot chocolate and because the hot chocolate is so rich (it is a double serving with melted marshmallow on top), most people only have one mug. That little girl has four or five mugs, one after the other. Mom and dad never say no, never suggest something else, even though water and low calorie drinks are also on offer.

I was sitting near her, so I noticed what she ate the last time she was there. 2 bags of chips. 3 chocolates. A small bag of biscuits. A hot dog with extra cheese - in addition to those hot chocolates! It was horrific! Probably twice my calorie allowance all in the space of a few hours and she is a little girl.

It made me feel ill and sad.

Her mother is very obese and takes in a similar amount. Am I wrong in thinking that they are ruining this little kids life and giving her zero chance?

iWork in the restaurant biz and I see this so much, and it is extremely sad. The kids will eat fried chicken and fries and down 3 sodas, and don't forget the biscuits. It's really sad the families won't take the time to do the research and learn to provide a healthier life style for their child.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't care about it at all except that other people open the topic with me. I never, ever open the topic myself. People ask me how I lost the weight. I tell them the truth, that I'm prediabetic and had to change what I was doing. I state that I count calories accurately and work out hard, consistently. I explained that I maintain by continuing to count calories and continuing to work out hard, and that if I go back to old habits I will go back to my old weight and become full blown diabetic. They want me to hand them something easy but I am honest, no, it's hard. You get used to it and the routine settles in so it's not as much *mental* work, but no it never gets *easy*. "do you have a fast metabolism?" they ask. No. I'm hypothyroid. The person who asked me this morning was like "walking?" and I was like "lifting." There are food trucks here every day of the week and the biggest ppl are always walking in with bags of McDonald's. Why I care at all what other ppl do is because they come and tell me about it. They ask for advice. I'm never negative, I don't say "put down that junk! That's why you're fat!" I tell them what I DO, not so much about what not to do. People are more receptive if you frame it as doing something new than if you advise them to stop things. I say that there is good news, that you don't have to spend money you can't afford to spend on pills, wraps, fancy programs, etc. That you can do the healthiest things fairly cheaply... I've gone over the basics of saving money on wholesome foods many a time. The whole chicken the day they go on special, the big bag of frozen broccoli. I would think, if they realize a savings at the grocery store, that should be fairly good positive reinforcement.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Adults can do what they like, but what I struggle with are the kids. Well, the parents of those kids rather.

My partner runs a geeking venue (board games, pc games, that sort of thing) and it has a snack bar. I am there pretty much all the time as our house is attached to the club. There is a couple who visit regularly that bring their little girl along with them - she must be about 8 or 9. She asks for food constantly so that they will come over to her (I think what she really wants is more of their time and attention) and they give in all the time, as well as bringing her things unprompted.

The venue provides free tea, coffee and hot chocolate and because the hot chocolate is so rich (it is a double serving with melted marshmallow on top), most people only have one mug. That little girl has four or five mugs, one after the other. Mom and dad never say no, never suggest something else, even though water and low calorie drinks are also on offer.

I was sitting near her, so I noticed what she ate the last time she was there. 2 bags of chips. 3 chocolates. A small bag of biscuits. A hot dog with extra cheese - in addition to those hot chocolates! It was horrific! Probably twice my calorie allowance all in the space of a few hours and she is a little girl.

Her mother is very obese and takes in a similar amount. Am I wrong in thinking that they are ruining this little kids life and giving her zero chance?

Yeah obese kids make me very sad. I give people the benefit of the doubt sometimes because some of them are on meds, but still. I actually know of two sets of twins with one healthy, one borderline obese, and I feel kinda bad for the parents there, but it's true that in most cases they eat too many high calorie foods, it's just that one of the kid naturally eats less of them... but still, nothing is done about it and it's making me even sadder because you know that people WILL compare both kids.

And my kids eat a fair amount of junk, and their weight is great, so I can't even start to imagine what people must feed those kids all day for them to get so big. I was a fat kid, so I really feel for them.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options

I feel the same way and have one overweight kid in my scout den. When they are not your kids you do what you can and give them what they really need in the limited time you have - attention and respect.

We have a similar venue and the owner started up a kids corner. Mostly the same games, but themed towards the age group. Always led by at least one adult and great fun. When I run it I bring in Nerf weaponry and get the kids up and active - amazing to see how inventive and imaginative they can be.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,912 Member
    Options
    moesis wrote: »

That poor little girl is doomed, her parents are perpetuating the cycle. It could almost be considered a form of child abuse.

Agreed.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,912 Member
    Options
    I'm fortunate I have open-minded staff. They are well aware I eat nutritionally-dense food and they try to do the same. They do however, bring donuts, giant cinnamon rolls, huge muffins, etc from time to time. I cut these in small portions and serve them. No sarcastic or snarky remarks from anyone (that I heard at least). Recently, I started reimbursing folks who bring fresh fruits and veggies. They love that! Have a great one! :)

That's awesome! What a wonderful policy :)

• MissAmyx
    MissAmyx Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I work with a girl who is quite badly overweight, she's made some steps towards getting healthier, she joined a gym we were talking about dieting and stuff the other day and i asked her how she was going and she said "Oh your lucky you lose weight I'm doing alright, but it can be kind of depressing though like i go the gym 5 times a week and work out so hard and i go for an hour walk every night but i just can't seem to lose weight!"
    ....then i saw what she had for lunch, a XL serve of fish and chips 2 fried dim sims, 2 chocolate bars and all washed down with a 600ml bottle of coke...

I saw it and thought "well, there's your problem..." she's just stuck in that mindset that "I exercise, therefore, I have a free pass to eat whatever I want"
  • xLoveLikeWinterx
    xLoveLikeWinterx Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    urloved33 wrote: »
    well i think when they say things about us its really a COMPLAINT OR DIG about themselves.
    People tell me all the time I'm "too skinny". Um no I'm not, 5'4.5 and 139 is NOT too skinny. I can safely lose another 10-15. I just have a thin face/bony shoulders now. Most of the people who tell me that are either struggling with their weight themselves OR competitive/jealous of my loss (like my best friend). It's usually indicative of their issues not mine.
  • lizzocat
    lizzocat Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    The only time I get frustrated or annoyed is if someone asks me for advice and then basically just craps on everything I say. I mostly am one of those people who keeps to themselves about their weightloss / fitness unless asked, but if you ask me for advice, and I give it to you, don't then tell it won't work for you because you're some kind of special snowflake who won't lose weight eating less and moving more.
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,150 Member
    Options
    lizzocat wrote: »
    The only time I get frustrated or annoyed is if someone asks me for advice and then basically just craps on everything I say. I mostly am one of those people who keeps to themselves about their weightloss / fitness unless asked, but if you ask me for advice, and I give it to you, don't then tell it won't work for you because you're some kind of special snowflake who won't lose weight eating less and moving more.

This ^.

This thread and others make me realize my coworkers aren't the worst, but they need some work. Most are supportive of me, but I've acquired food police - one even asks "is that real chocolate?" with a big grin on her face like she's busted me. I tell her "of course, and I'm not sharing." One former coworker, who was in mid management and was always throwing out the idea that if you don't want to change things (work situations) don't complain, was always looking at me and whining about how she wants to look like me. Yet, she refuses to change anything food related or exercise, I've even suggested a ten minute walk and just get excuses. She now does a perdiem shift here and there and when I see her start to do her routine, I cut her off and tell her I don't want to hear it. If you want advice and support, I'm glad to give it, but I'm not interested in being brought down by useless whining. Mostly I keep my weight loss efforts to myself - I'll tell how many pounds I've lost when asked because I'm proud of it. But I keep it off Facebook, and I don't friend anyone on here I know in real life and just try to do my thing.

• Sindakhelekwen
    Sindakhelekwen Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I try not to give much advice since it seems to just go in one ear and out the other when it comes to friends and co-workers unless explicitly asked by them then I try to help them and tell them what works for me.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options

yup- everyone thinks they are 'special' and can't lose weight the 'old fashioned' way.... mmmmkay then porkie.....
    MissAmyx wrote: »
    I saw it and thought "well, there's your problem..." she's just stuck in that mindset that "I exercise, therefore, I have a free pass to eat whatever I want"

man, i wish that was the case! LOLOL!
  • peter56765
    peter56765 Posts: 352 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    kraft_kris wrote: »
    Not my circus, not my monkeys....

While I agree in spirit, the company I work at has decreed that they will pay no more or less than $X per person to cover health care costs. If they end the year in the red, the difference will made up by increasing next year's premium cost for health insurance. Similarly, if they are in the black, the savings is passed on to the employees via decreased premiums. So in a not so subtle way, they are encouraging not only individual employees to live and eat more healthy, they are also hoping we use peer pressure to encourage our co-workers to do the same now. The obese guy eating McDonald's every day who ends up developing diabetes or having a heart attack will directly hit me in the pocketbook next year.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    peter56765 wrote: »
    kraft_kris wrote: »
    Not my circus, not my monkeys....

While I agree in spirit, the company I work at has decreed that they will pay no more or less than $X per person to cover health care costs. If they end the year in the red, the difference will made up by increasing next year's premium cost for health insurance. Similarly, if they are in the black, the savings is passed on to the employees via decreased premiums. So in a not so subtle way, they are encouraging not only individual employees to live and eat more healthy, they are also hoping we use peer pressure to encourage our co-workers to do the same now. The obese guy eating McDonald's every day who ends up developing diabetes or having a heart attack will directly hit me in the pocketbook next year.

I know of a few companies that do that and I have mixed feelings. On one hand, yep - that really does increase accountability and prevent people from reporting false problems just for time off.

On the other hand, that might really decrease someone's chances of going to the doctor for a "minor" issue that's actually an underlying, major medical problem. Case in point: a coworker of mine went in for chronic fatigue. Turns out, she had a form of cancer (that's skipping my mind at the moment).

Depending on the size of the company, I'd also feel sort of guilty if I ended up having to have a bunch of really expensive tests done and everyone else's premiums were increased.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options

yup- everyone thinks they are 'special' and can't lose weight the 'old fashioned' way.... mmmmkay then porkie.....

Yeah - I liked the woman at my old job. After losing about 50 lbs or so, she started asking me questions about my "diet plan" (just CICO). When I explained to her, using more detail and nicer language, that I just ate less than I burned, she responded, "I'm just too busy with work to do all that."

Well, I was her counterpart in the same position for a different department, so it took some willpower not to answer, "Oh, and I'm not?"
  • joolieb1
    joolieb1 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I am probably the one annoying them! Instead of eating a cake in the cafe where I volunteer, I say "I am fine, I have some grapes and juice" and I guess it stops them from munching cake too! They all say they want to lose weight and for a change I am the healthy one, must be so irritating! Love it though
  • ckm013
    ckm013 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I work in a nursing home and work with some larger ladies. I'm talking about the 300-400 lbs range. They always complain to me about their weight, however I watch them go to the kitchen and stuff their scrubs with cookies... :/ saying they deserve it because they're having a bad day. And try to get me to eat junk with them, which I pass over most times. Then they complain that they are over weight and deny how big they are by wearing the smallest scrubs they can.
    when I try giving them advice, they brush me off. Whateves. I just hate hearing them complain though. I used to be 215 and now at 177 because one day I woke up and discovered I'm the only one that can make me lose the weight and make me be happy :wink:

however they recently started to notice my 25 pound weight loss since I bought new scrubs and keep telling me I need to be careful to not lose anymore, or my head is going to look "too big" :sweat_smile: lol
    or they try pushing their diet pills on me and can't believe I lost weight just by diet and exercise.
    I just stopped talking about my program and goals. If they comment on my weight loss I just nod and thank them.
    they don't really know I'm losing weight until I bring in scrubs that are way too big to give them away. :tongue: