anyone else get super frustrated at friends/co workers?

Options

Replies

• lindathom209
    lindathom209 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I don't get frustrated. Mainly because I've been in their shoes. Tried all the fad diets and ordered all the workouts from infomercials looking for FAST weight loss. I was the one saying "two pounds a week?! Are you kidding me? That's gonna take me, like, forever!" I work for a staffing agency so when I work somewhere I haven't been in a while I hear a lot of "wow you lost a lot of weight! How the h*** did you do that?" When I say I just eat less than I burn they give me the saddest look. Lol. I just give them a sympathetic smile and say "yeah, it sucks, but it's really the only thing that actually works"
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I have heard most of the things mentioned here. I get a bit frustrated sometimes, but more often speechless and/or giggly.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,933 Member
    Options
    peter56765 wrote: »
    kraft_kris wrote: »
    Not my circus, not my monkeys....

While I agree in spirit, the company I work at has decreed that they will pay no more or less than $X per person to cover health care costs. If they end the year in the red, the difference will made up by increasing next year's premium cost for health insurance. Similarly, if they are in the black, the savings is passed on to the employees via decreased premiums. So in a not so subtle way, they are encouraging not only individual employees to live and eat more healthy, they are also hoping we use peer pressure to encourage our co-workers to do the same now. The obese guy eating McDonald's every day who ends up developing diabetes or having a heart attack will directly hit me in the pocketbook next year.

Hmm, I wonder how well this works. I'd think a current carrot would work better than a potential future stick.

• BlxxdtheFrxxk
    BlxxdtheFrxxk Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    At my job all of us are varying degrees of overweight but I've lost 45 pounds so far this year. (.8lbs from healthy!) When I first started losing weight some asked how. I shared mfp with them and gave them my username to request me. Nobody joined. Now when my loss is mentioned they say its because I'm young. No! It's because I made the effort!
  • berndanddana
    berndanddana Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    When my co-workers mention I've lost weight, I give them a confused look and say, "have I?"
  • Ioras88
    Ioras88 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Whenever I tell people I don't eat bread and that I don't drink milk or eat milk products:
    "wahhwahh I could never live without bread or milk! wahwah!" ('wahwah' added for dramatic effect, it always sounds really whiney)
    Well.
    No one forces you to do that.
    I chose to exclude these types of foods from my diet because I can't digest them properly and buying 'gluten-free' bread that tastes really weird and expensive lactose-free milk products just isn't worth it. I don't even like milk and cheese, ew.
    Also:
    "What CAN you eat?"
    Whenever they forget there's like three entire food groups to choose from. (All things meat/fish, veggies and fruits.)

Oh and, whenever people misunderstand me when I explain my diet, they think, it's a 'weight loss' diet instead of 'a way of eating' diet (we have two different words for this in German). That's super frustrating because I'm not starving myself or anything. I simply don't eat like most people in my country do since I can't anyway and I don't want to.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    dont even get me started on the ' im too busy' *kitten*..... i challenge anyone to live my life for a week and then tell me *THEY* are too busy .....

• MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    moesis wrote: »
    Soopatt wrote: »
    Her mother is very obese and takes in a similar amount. Am I wrong in thinking that they are ruining this little kids life and giving her zero chance?

That poor little girl is doomed, her parents are perpetuating the cycle. It could almost be considered a form of child abuse.

Sometimes the kids have serious underlying medical issues. Sometimes the parents desperately need a course in basic nutrition. Sometimes, though, they seem determined to ruin their kids' lives through...I don't even know.

My kids would rather play than eat. They will lose weight over the summer if I didn't force them to have a meal before going out. (Really, not joking.) If I let them become severely underweight, I would get into hot water.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Her mother is very obese and takes in a similar amount. Am I wrong in thinking that they are ruining this little kids life and giving her zero chance?

That poor little girl is doomed, her parents are perpetuating the cycle. It could almost be considered a form of child abuse.

Sometimes the kids have serious underlying medical issues. Sometimes the parents desperately need a course in basic nutrition. Sometimes, though, they seem determined to ruin their kids' lives through...I don't even know.

My kids would rather play than eat. They will lose weight over the summer if I didn't force them to have a meal before going out. (Really, not joking.) If I let them become severely underweight, I would get into hot water.

Yeah but I have a hard time believing that the kids pediatricians haven't talked to them about their kids weight. My kids weights always come up. They just decide not to do anything about it.

Ok I'm judging again. But still giving most of them the benefit of the doubt when at least the kids are not drinking sodas or having fries and chicken nuggets.

But as I've said... my kids play on their tablets a lot and they eat a good amount of junk (their diets some days is poor to say the least), and they're both healthy, if anything, on the low weight side, so I can't even imagine what parents of obese kids feed them.

I was the fat kid. I was eating junk all day. My parents never did anything about it.
  • kmlr64
    kmlr64 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    This post has been so interesting to read I'm loving it! Except I'm in the complete opposite situation - a coworker who is now a close friend of mine has lost over 70kg (154 pounds) in the past 18 months, mostly through weight watchers (she's a group leader/team leader now and is starting her own weekly meeting) but she has tried numerous other weight loss strategies. She is truly my inspiration and has been the person to keep me accountable for the past month that I've been calorie counting - and is the reason why I'm still at it, 4kg lighter!

I will admit that I joined WW thinking that it might have been a better option as opposed to calorie counting which I have done in the past. Despite numerous debates between her and I over WW vs MFP - I believe 100% that it all comes down to personal preference and I can wholeheartedly say that MFP is my #1 for various reasons. Mainly because I felt very uneasy calculating food in 'points' as opposed to calories (and ended up double tracking a week later anyway), and their app/food database has nothing on MFP! Very off topic I know but just had to put it out there.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I get this a lot but it is because I eat gluten free due to celiac disease. You would not believe the eye rolls and snide looks and comments I get when I have to turn food down for safety reasons. I try to remind myself that they are coming from a place of ignorance but some days....

Now that I've changed my way of eating I probably don't get as many weird looks and comments as you all do because people are used to seeing me eat strange things. LOL
  • bionic_woman
    bionic_woman Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    i dont get frustrated with other people, but it does make me re-evaluate what i think their intelligence level is ;)

i have people ask how ive lost so much weight and when i tell them ' eat less, move more' they roll their eyes and go back to talking about special foods or diets or wraps. whatever. its their money and their body. not mine.

THIS (especially your first sentence). Some people are disappointed when I don't tell them it's some miracle cure of fad diet.

• WyshIKnew
    WyshIKnew Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say super frustrated but I do SMH sometimes. Couple of the guys at work are on this eat normally for three days, fast for two days diet and they keep trying to get me to join them despite the fact that I have had more success on MFP than they have had on their diet.

They keep going on this diet for a few weeks, losing a bit of weight, then eating normally, putting the weight back on and going back on their diet again.

I've given up explaining that it is simply eating a bit less and doing a bit more. I get fed up with being told that counting calories is far too much bother and wouldn't work for them. I get blank looks when I ask if they intend fasting for two days for the rest of their life and how that could be less bother than monitoring calories.
  • aussie_girl_del_runner_5
    Options
    AlisonH729 wrote: »
    kraft_kris wrote: »
    Not my circus, not my monkeys....

I just heard this saying for the first time a few weeks ago, but it has become my new favorite.

/sidebar

ETA: I'm sorry, really? Someone flagged me for this?

I have no idea why you would be flagged for this.
  • charlieandcarol
    charlieandcarol Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

Yeah but I have a hard time believing that the kids pediatricians haven't talked to them about their kids weight. My kids weights always come up. They just decide not to do anything about it.

Ok I'm judging again. But still giving most of them the benefit of the doubt when at least the kids are not drinking sodas or having fries and chicken nuggets.

But as I've said... my kids play on their tablets a lot and they eat a good amount of junk (their diets some days is poor to say the least), and they're both healthy, if anything, on the low weight side, so I can't even imagine what parents of obese kids feed them.

I was the fat kid. I was eating junk all day. My parents never did anything about it.

There was a documentary on the BBC about a government program trying to help obese primary school children in the UK. It was amazing in that these kids were morbidly obese, many of them twice the weight or more they should be, their eyes getting closed up from their chubby round faces, crying as they describe to the child psychologist the names they get called at school and their parents would be in a consultation with a pediatrician telling the doctor that the child was not overweight. Total denial, it was really sad. My heart broke for the kids.
  • Faithful_Chosen
    Faithful_Chosen Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Wanted to share this anecdote: my mom came by a while ago (we don't see each other much and that is a good thing) and she started raving instantly about me loosing weight and how I must be starving myself. I work out too much, am hurting my body, yada yada yada. I know my mother well enough to know that's her instant reaction whenever other people do somehting she wishes she had the willpower to do herself so I didn't engage. Instead, I have been sending her images of the (big and nutritious) meals I have over WhatsApp, and voila! Now all talk about food and weight loss is positive and she is even eating a little better so she can share images of her food with me as well. And her weekly gym hour (she had COPD)? She now always goes and tells me how it went because I share sweaty post-workout pictures as well. Whatever works, right? :sweat_smile:
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Wanted to share this anecdote: my mom came by a while ago (we don't see each other much and that is a good thing) and she started raving instantly about me loosing weight and how I must be starving myself. I work out too much, am hurting my body, yada yada yada. I know my mother well enough to know that's her instant reaction whenever other people do somehting she wishes she had the willpower to do herself so I didn't engage. Instead, I have been sending her images of the (big and nutritious) meals I have over WhatsApp, and voila! Now all talk about food and weight loss is positive and she is even eating a little better so she can share images of her food with me as well. And her weekly gym hour (she had COPD)? She now always goes and tells me how it went because I share sweaty post-workout pictures as well. Whatever works, right? :sweat_smile:
    :heart:
  • samistarz
    samistarz Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    How about the one that says I diet all week long and have the weekend off but I'm not losing weight. And when you tell them that they are probably going over their calories for the week at the weekend they get all huffy and tell you that according to weight watchers they still have lots of points left over!!! Frustrates me...
  • Firefly0606
    Firefly0606 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    The trend in my office at the moment is for all the people with "slow metabolisms" to get a gastric bypass done.
    I don't want to be one of them.