anyone else get super frustrated at friends/co workers?

Options

Replies

• eved305
    eved305 Posts: 29 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    MissAmyx wrote: »
    A co-worker turned to me today and said "I just learnt the most amazing thing today" obviously i said "oh what?!"
    her response....... "If you switch to a gluten free diet you can lose a TONNE of weight! I'm going to try it for sure!!"

I tried to tell her that unless you actually have an intolerance condition switching to a gluten free diet is not going to change anything I said the whole you can eat whatever you want as long as you burn more calories than you take in but *whoosh* straight over her head because as she said "My neighbour stopped eating gluten and she lost like 10kgs in a month! Do they make gluten free wholemeal bread? because im going to buy some of that...and is there gluten free chocolate? Because I want to buy some of that as well!"

I just kind of noded and went back to doing my work...I could see that she was set on her super awesome new miracle diet and whatever i said wasn't going to change her mind...

face palm ...

I have a friend on WW. She still doesn't know why she isn't losing weight when she has a ton of left over points (more than half she says) that she isn't eating. I am not sure how many points she has because we had lunch the other day and she had 3 pieces of fried chicken, mash potatoes, mac and cheese, a biscuit and a cookie and said that was all very few points. If I ate that I am sure it would probably have been most of my days calories. She wants to know why I am losing weight and not her. I tried to tell her about MFP but she said she likes WW cause they have a new point system so she gets more points now.

• ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    eved305 wrote: »
    A co-worker turned to me today and said "I just learnt the most amazing thing today" obviously i said "oh what?!"
    her response....... "If you switch to a gluten free diet you can lose a TONNE of weight! I'm going to try it for sure!!"

I tried to tell her that unless you actually have an intolerance condition switching to a gluten free diet is not going to change anything I said the whole you can eat whatever you want as long as you burn more calories than you take in but *whoosh* straight over her head because as she said "My neighbour stopped eating gluten and she lost like 10kgs in a month! Do they make gluten free wholemeal bread? because im going to buy some of that...and is there gluten free chocolate? Because I want to buy some of that as well!"

I just kind of noded and went back to doing my work...I could see that she was set on her super awesome new miracle diet and whatever i said wasn't going to change her mind...

face palm ...

I have a friend on WW. She still doesn't know why she isn't losing weight when she has a ton of left over points (more than half she says) that she isn't eating. I am not sure how many points she has because we had lunch the other day and she had 3 pieces of fried chicken, mash potatoes, mac and cheese, a biscuit and a cookie and said that was all very few points. If I ate that I am sure it would probably have been most of my days calories. She wants to know why I am losing weight and not her. I tried to tell her about MFP but she said she likes WW cause they have a new point system so she gets more points now.

That is curious. I've seen people grossly underestimate what they're eating before (heck, I used to do it myself which is why I'm here), but that's impressive. I wonder if she's counting that fried chicken as grilled or something.
  • anxioushero
    anxioushero Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    My sister says she must only eat 900 calories a day...she's 5'2, 15 years old so still growing and does at least SIX dance classes a week. She's a level 8 ballerina. 900 calories a day...yeah okay. Then she shouted at me when I said she was wrong. As I speak she's eating like 500g of pasta.
    She's in great shape and it's not like I care, it's like...I'm the one counting calories...BELIEVE ME that 900 is an impossibility
  • whatatime2befit
    whatatime2befit Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    eved305 wrote: »

face palm ...

She's not calculating the points correctly. If you are friends with her, you might want to point that out. Granted, I don't know her size and how many points she gets daily, but when I followed WW, that one meal would have blown my daily points and more besides.
  • juliebowman4
    juliebowman4 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    What DOES bother me is when I say 'no thank you' to the chocolate peanut butter cookies they are offering me at 9:30am.....and they start getting insistent, commenting that I'm thin, I can afford to eat a few cookies......so I politely and briefly explain "I'm watching what I eat, so no thank you"......and they comment "Well geez, what you must think of me, if you're watching your weight!"
    I'm dying to say "Your morbid obesity is your issue, not mine....I actually don't think of your body at all. I'm too self-absorbed for that"
  • Monklady123
    Monklady123 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    This has been a good thread. Helpful for all of us to know we're not alone with the annoying co-workers/family/whoever. lol. Or not-lol. -- I work in a hospital and I am always surprised - even though I shouldn't be, because I've worked in several hospitals over the years -- at the number of very-overweight nurses. Almost never doctors, only the nurses or aides. (I'm not a nurse.) One hospital I worked at was so HUGE that they had a whole walking route set up in the lower level where there were just labs and things like that...They had signs up and mileage and everything. I was doing WW then and I used to try to walk that route a few times a week. People used to say "you're going to walk *again*?" with emphasis on "again". sigh... Well too bad for them. :p
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    What DOES bother me is when I say 'no thank you' to the chocolate peanut butter cookies they are offering me at 9:30am.....and they start getting insistent, commenting that I'm thin, I can afford to eat a few cookies......so I politely and briefly explain "I'm watching what I eat, so no thank you"......and they comment "Well geez, what you must think of me, if you're watching your weight!"
    I'm dying to say "Your morbid obesity is your issue, not mine....I actually don't think of your body at all. I'm too self-absorbed for that"
    I had a coworker once with whom I had a version of this conversation, but she was a size 2 and would go on and on about how fat she was. I was a size 16, and I eventually told her she must think I'm a beached whale if she thinks she's fat. She was genuinely taken aback and said she didn't think I was fat at all. I don't know what she really thought, but at least she stopped talking about how fat she was after that.

• Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    I hate it when people say "you don't need to lose weight - you're a mother" Ok - so every single mother in this world has to be chubby/fat/obese????? Just because you have a kid it gives you permission to be unhealthy? You'd THINK it would be a goof thing for mothers to be healthy so that they can keep up with their kids and set a good example?

/rant.

(I've had that a few times at work)
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I'm dying to say "Your morbid obesity is your issue, not mine...

Awesome response. I'm going to remember that. :)
  • mellb34
    mellb34 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I dislike when the people I work with ask what diet I'm 'doing', the eat less diet?
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    smantha32 wrote: »

smantha32 wrote: »

Me too. I'm almost sorry I'm on vacation and have to wait. Okay, I'm not, but I will keep it in mind.

• KBmoments
    KBmoments Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    linsey0689 wrote: »
    It's hard for me to. When people notice I have lost weight and ask me how I do it. I tell them I watched what I ate though mfp and exercise. Then they say that just doesn't work for me I have tried it so many time. I just smile and said okay sometimes. It's not worth the fight.

Yep :( My good friend is in the health and wellness field, a PT and a group fitness instructor. She's not overweight and looks good IMO, but she's NEVER been happy with her body...she hasn't eaten pizza since she was 10,only does clean eating , doesn' t have salt or bread in the house, etc.. I know this is borderline disordered, but when she asks what I do and tell her, it's almost like she doesn't believe it and that she needs to be on a specific diet to lose weight (clearly not working for her). I just tell her I'm sorry she's feeling like that and am done offering advice..b/c she doesn't seem to want to believe it.. although she says she can tell i have lost weight and wants to know how I did it...
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    KBmoments wrote: »
    It's hard for me to. When people notice I have lost weight and ask me how I do it. I tell them I watched what I ate though mfp and exercise. Then they say that just doesn't work for me I have tried it so many time. I just smile and said okay sometimes. It's not worth the fight.

Yep :( My good friend is in the health and wellness field, a PT and a group fitness instructor. She's not overweight and looks good IMO, but she's NEVER been happy with her body...she hasn't eaten pizza since she was 10,only does clean eating , doesn' t have salt or bread in the house, etc.. I know this is borderline disordered, but when she asks what I do and tell her, it's almost like she doesn't believe it and that she needs to be on a specific diet to lose weight (clearly not working for her). I just tell her I'm sorry she's feeling like that and am done offering advice..b/c she doesn't seem to want to believe it.. although she says she can tell i have lost weight and wants to know how I did it...

No offense to your friend (as I'm sure she means well), but this is why I won't hire a PT without them being a licensed dietician, having some sort of sports medicine degree, and allowing me to interview them beforehand. The last two trainers I had were amazing. They both offered similar advice and had evidence to back it up. My current trainer (who is free through work, thankfully) loves pizza, carbs, and ice cream. But she's been helping me relearn how to eat such things properly again.
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    A lot of the ladies I work with are on a diet - slimming world, herbal life, something similar. I don't know how they get through a work day were they can burn 2500+ calories by eating so little.
    I gave trying to educate them ages ago. Some even use this app, shame they don't read the forum
  • laurajo521
    laurajo521 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I just tune folks out. You can't let other people's negative relationships with food interfere with your progress. I find most people who are negative are just projecting their own issues onto you. I have a doctor, dietitian and exercise physiologist so I'm pretty stocked up on knowing what I need to be doing. Sometimes I do it; sometimes I don't. ;)
  • laurajo521
    Options
    My co-workers don't really offer alot of advice, but some have become my calorie police, as they know i've been losing weight. I follow an "anything in moderation" mindset, and eat anything as long as it fits in my calorie allotment for the day. Can't tell you the times I've had a cookie from the lunchroom, or picked out something other than a salad for my lunch, and have been told "oh no, you can't eat that". Umm, yes I can. I count it, and move on with my day.

I just met you, but you're my new best friend, because we are totally on the same page with this! :)
  • KBmoments
    KBmoments Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    KBmoments wrote: »

No offense to your friend (as I'm sure she means well), but this is why I won't hire a PT without them being a licensed dietician, having some sort of sports medicine degree, and allowing me to interview them beforehand. The last two trainers I had were amazing. They both offered similar advice and had evidence to back it up. My current trainer (who is free through work, thankfully) loves pizza, carbs, and ice cream. But she's been helping me relearn how to eat such things properly again.

I agree... she's afraid of these foods and won't eat them :( So, my advice to her to eat in moderation and balance, doesn't really sit well with her, since she doesn't WANT to eat these types of foods anyway. No winning .
  • laurajo521
    Options
    My doctor, who specializes in non-surgical weight loss, has told me repeatedly that we just have to be smarter about how we eat. If I have pizza, I get two small slices and a big salad. If I go for Mexican, I can eat the chips OR the margarita. If you are afraid of food, you are probably not going to have success in the long-term. I am not on a diet. For the first time in my life, I have a healthy relationship with food and I am not letting anyone derail that. When I want wine, I actually measure five ounces. When I want chocolate, I buy really good chocolate and savor it. Most of the time, it's still salads and ice water, but I no longer flip out when I go out to eat with friends and I'm not sure what I "can" eat on the menu.
  • whatatime2befit
    whatatime2befit Posts: 625 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    laurajo521 wrote: »
    My co-workers don't really offer alot of advice, but some have become my calorie police, as they know i've been losing weight. I follow an "anything in moderation" mindset, and eat anything as long as it fits in my calorie allotment for the day. Can't tell you the times I've had a cookie from the lunchroom, or picked out something other than a salad for my lunch, and have been told "oh no, you can't eat that". Umm, yes I can. I count it, and move on with my day.

I just met you, but you're my new best friend, because we are totally on the same page with this! :)

:smile:
  • megomerrett
    megomerrett Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Ah the joys of working from home with only my dog for company!
    Plus, my previous job was in a dance company where the focus was on eating healthily but making sure to fuel bodies for full days of class and rehearsals. (Not a dancer myself but none of that bro science rubbish!)