anyone else get super frustrated at friends/co workers?

Options

Replies

• linsey0689
    linsey0689 Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    It's hard for me to. When people notice I have lost weight and ask me how I do it. I tell them I watched what I ate though mfp and exercise. Then they say that just doesn't work for me I have tried it so many time. I just smile and said okay sometimes. It's not worth the fight.
  • Yoshirio
    Yoshirio Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I hate when people see me eating something like a burger and ask if I should be eating that...my very own food police.
  • Yoshirio
    Yoshirio Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    My co-workers don't really offer alot of advice, but some have become my calorie police, as they know i've been losing weight. I follow an "anything in moderation" mindset, and eat anything as long as it fits in my calorie allotment for the day. Can't tell you the times I've had a cookie from the lunchroom, or picked out something other than a salad for my lunch, and have been told "oh no, you can't eat that". Umm, yes I can. I count it, and move on with my day.

Do we work at the same place?Ugh it's annoying.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    peleroja wrote: »
    Yep. The best is the old gem "Why aren't you eating these doughnuts/cookies/cupcakes/whatever here for the whole office? You're so skinny!" It's hard sometimes not to say "Yes, I'm not fat because I don't eat this stuff every day when it appears in the break room."
    My coworkers, who would do anything to lose weight except count calories and exercise, would always say "You're thin! You don't have to worry about what you eat!" My answer would always be "I do if I want to stay this way."

They would take diet advice from the 250 pound woman ("She's lost weight lots of times!") instead of the normal weight woman. You'd think they'd want to know how to do it from someone who hasn't yo-yo'd her entire life.
  • cleanbulk_hatersgfy
    cleanbulk_hatersgfy Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'm fortunate I have open-minded staff. They are well aware I eat nutritionally-dense food and they try to do the same. They do however, bring donuts, giant cinnamon rolls, huge muffins, etc from time to time. I cut these in small portions and serve them. No sarcastic or snarky remarks from anyone (that I heard at least). Recently, I started reimbursing folks who bring fresh fruits and veggies. They love that! Have a great one! :)
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    A woman with whom I went to high school--now a facebook friend. She's a fitness trainer and lately she's been going on about juice cleanses and going to a "natural path" (sic) doctor. Yesterday she announced that she isn't going to have her brand new kitten vaccinated because "it just poisons their immune systems". So much no.
  • spatulamom
    spatulamom Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    My co-workers are great - we work for a national non-profit that aims for good health, so we have a 'healthy meals' policy and the majority of stuff that's brought in or that's at our meetings is pretty healthy.

I do get frustrated with a FB group of local friends for WL - not because we try to tempt each other, but the ideas about food and fitness are SO crazy. I'm all for eating healthy but eating 'clean' is not a magic key to losing weight. There are a lot of myths put out on the group and I find myself biting my tongue a lot. Funny thing is, the ones who are the most successful right now are those of us on MFP who are calorie counting and who don't cut out treats or food groups. It's very frustrating to see misinformation being presented, but speaking up to try to clear up those misconceptions would just cause problems, so I don't. I'll just keep doing CICO and posting my losses.
  • Neversettle78
    Neversettle78 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    Meh...it doesn't frustrate me any more. I just smile and nod and carry on.

If someone asks me for frank, honest advice I'll give it to 'em. But that's pretty rare.

Yes, this is me as well.

My family doesn't understand my need to be at the gym, stating "but you're already in shape, why do you keep going still?"...ummmm, that's WHY I am in shape! I just change the subject because it isn't worth the frustration.

• urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    In my office I am openly called the "healthy eater" in a kind of snarky way. O WELL.
  • bostongrl13
    bostongrl13 Posts: 58 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    At my last job, everyone would cycle through the latest fad diet craze that one person would start. One month it would be low carb, the next juicing, the next HCG. I got to a point when I would just shake me head and go on with my nutrition and lifting plan which apparently was too much trouble for anyone to get on board with. Thankfully at my new job in manufacturing I work with mostly older men who could give two sh*ts and I haven't heard the words "juice cleanse" "detox" "toxins" or "diet" since I started. It's amazing.
  • kthompson601
    kthompson601 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I've found this kind of challenging too. Some of my coworkers and I recently put together a salad bar at work, with everyone bringing in different foods. A few of them are extremely obese, weighing much more than I do. Sometimes they give me crap about not eating chips with my salad like they do, or eating an apple instead of cookies. It's difficult but watching these really obese people eat Cheetos and drink Pepsi and bring in fried chicken to eat with their salad motivates me to stick to my healthy fruit and veg. Some days, though, boy is it tough.
  • determined_14
    determined_14 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who I love dearly that this thread reminds me of. I wouldn't call her fat, but she carries some extra pounds and I know she's unhappy with her weight. Unfortunately, her family believes every new "health" fad that comes down the pike: toxins, gluten-free, low-carb... What have you.
    When I successfully lost 30lbs after having my daughter, I did attract some attention, and she and I have had a few conversations about health and exercise. And she is convinced that her metabolism is no good and she "can't" lose weight. I mentioned calorie counting, but she can't believe that the same basic equations work for everyone. Also, like many people, she struggles to understand that when I say, "Only calories matter for weight loss," I am NOT saying, "It doesn't matter what you eat," or "skinny=healthy." Sigh...
  • dizzieblondeuk
    dizzieblondeuk Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    At my last job, everyone would cycle through the latest fad diet craze that one person would start. One month it would be low carb, the next juicing, the next HCG. I got to a point when I would just shake me head and go on with my nutrition and lifting plan which apparently was too much trouble for anyone to get on board with. Thankfully at my new job in manufacturing I work with mostly older men who could give two sh*ts and I haven't heard the words "juice cleanse" "detox" "toxins" or "diet" since I started. It's amazing.
    I'm the same, I've just started working in a very small, male-dominated company, with just a handful of women. The lack of sh*ts given about what I eat is refreshing, other than the guys who walk into the break room and say 'ooh, another interesting lunch', and they chow their burgers and talk about sport! The downside of working in this lovely company is that it's literally 50 paces from a McDonald's, and the men routinely come through with their McD's breakfasts and meals. I don't say anything, cos no one interferes here, but god it's a killer when I see those burgers!! ;) Thank god for having my own office - I can shut the door and eliminate the temptation that way! But it is refreshing not having an entire (female) office that do that competitive/toxic weight comparing thing.

• vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    Why would I get frustrated at other people? My nose doesn't belong in their business.

It does when they complain to you about their problems like you have all the answers. But when you do try to help, they don't listen.
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 701 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    Meh...it doesn't frustrate me any more. I just smile and nod and carry on.

If someone asks me for frank, honest advice I'll give it to 'em. But that's pretty rare.
    kraft_kris wrote: »
    Not my circus, not my monkeys....

^These. Luckily, my co-workers and most of my friends/family are reasonable and not intrusive people. Occasionally we'll talk briefly about improving our diet (not fads, just trying to eat more fruit/veggies) and exercise when our annual wellness program starts, but that's about it. I have a couple friends with some questionable ideas, but I just listen and don't comment unless asked. However, if someone commented about me not being able to eat something or such nonsense they would get sarcasm in response.
  • moesis
    moesis Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    I have one that makes me shake my head. She is a 300+ pound woman that sits across from me. Yesterday she was giving one of her team members disgusted looks and asking her how she could drink that crap, referring to her green smoothie. Then she talks about eating an entire pizza for dinner, and complains about not being able to lose weight while shoving her face full of popcorn.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    Bro-science everywhere! One of my friends moans to me every day that he isn't losing weight even though he 'barely eats' and I've seen the man eat two large chip shop servings with salt and vinegar! So I try to explain to him and he just says 'no. My metabolism is just crap. I barely eat anything and I work out loads.' I know for some folks its difficult to admit that actually, its not the metabolism, its you, but sometimes I wanna pull out my own hair! And another friend of mine busts her *kitten* lifting weights every day saying she's gonna get super muscular and huge arms etc...but eats practically nothing! Its crazy how uneducated we all were at one point and now we are all super diet gurus...lol.

I only get frustrated when they complain, but aren't actually going to DO anything about it. One says she hardly eats anything...yes, she skips meals, but when she does eat, it is definitely way more than a normal serving, from what I've seen. And refuses to ever get up from her desk. Yes, we are in desk jobs, but I refuse to be chained down for 8+ hours a day. The world will indeed keep spinning if you get out of your chair and take a few minutes for yourself.
  • newfutures
    newfutures Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about other people. its not your place. let it go
  • newfutures
    newfutures Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    their ignorance or denial isn't your problem
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    vixtris wrote: »
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    Why would I get frustrated at other people? My nose doesn't belong in their business.

It does when they complain to you about their problems like you have all the answers. But when you do try to help, they don't listen.

They're not looking to you for help. They're just sharing their their situation.