Things You've Noticed As You've Lost Weight

Options

Replies

• kristieshannon
    kristieshannon Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I saw this comment in another thread and started to reply there, but then decided not to hijack the thread but this is what made me start to think..... Whether you've lost a little weight, or a lot, I think ALL of us start to notice things more as we lose. ( i know there's a similar thread like this floating around but a new one might be fun! )
    I sometimes feel like I live in bizzaro world for sure. Whether it's at work, at the grocery store, at a restaurant, or whatever. I look around me sometimes and realize that a) almost everyone I see is significantly overweight and b) for more than half my life I was just like them.

OMG this all day long. everywhere (except the gym cause bigger or smaller, everyone there is trying to better themselves LOL) !

and i (1) never comment cause... rude BUT (2) think how much HAPPIER and BETTER they would feel if they lost even just a LITTLE weight.

It's also strange now to be among the smaller of my friends.

It's strange to have more energy and be slightly confused when a friend says they're exhausted (went to a concert and spent 4 hours dancing and drinking and bopping up and down and could have gone much longer. My friend could barely make it back to the car, poor thing! )

To see friends or acquaintances trying to lose weight and knowing they won't succeed because of the method they are using.

physically, the list is way long lol - to have hip bones (WHAT???? lololol), shoulder blades, collar bones....

to be able to buy stuff in any store. and the stores you USED to have to shop in, do not carry your current size!

Along with that, KNOWING you look good in your clothes ;)

There's so much more but .... that will kick it off!

Ha! I was just surfing around in here and saw this by pure chance! It's kind of an outside looking in feeling sometimes when you realize you're not in that world of constant overeating anymore and you take the blinders off. And no, of course you never comment about it, but the delusions people have about their weight and overall health are pretty mind blowing.

Some more observations I've had:
    1) I'm always cold. Always. We went to Florida in December and I was cold 90% of the time.
    2) My bones are sharper. I rolled over in bed the other night to cuddle up with my wife and she said, "Your ribs are stabbing me in the back!!!"
    3) I have 500% more energy. I can wrestle with my kids and race them up and down the sidewalk without feeling like I'm going to pass out. We walked about 20,000 steps a day at Disney World, and I still had energy to burn when we got back to the hotel.
    4) People are nicer to me. This one is unfortunate. How nice someone is to you shouldn't depend on your physical appearance, but it totally does for some people. I like to think I treat everyone the same, but not everyone is like that.

OMG. I have SOOOOOO noticed this. I lost 80lb a couple years ago, was down to just a bit higher than a "normal" weight. I couldn't believe how men flirted with me, how shop employees went out of their way to help me, how people on the street made eye contact, etc. I even got pulled over for speeding twice and was let go with a smile and a vague warning. As the pounds have come back on over the last two years I have seen that revert. I hadn't been bothered by it before I lost weight, now I totally notice and am thoroughly annoyed. Good I'm on my way back down so I can rejoin the world of people going out of their way to be nice!
  • HippySkoppy
    HippySkoppy Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    The number of people who are disappointed that there is no "Secret" to losing weight and maintaining it.

Those that are still around me who have seen me go from highest to lowest weight and they are determined that I'm withholding some magical potion, fad, injection, shake etc etc from them.

Sadly they are profoundly turned off by the concept of me using MFP, counting calories, eating what I like and not doing anything that they have seen on TV or in magazines.....and they then go on to say that it would be too long, difficult, boring or other reason for them to even contemplate.
  • bspringer544
    bspringer544 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    The number of people who are disappointed that there is no "Secret" to losing weight and maintaining it.

Poppycock! Calorie deficit IS the secret! What a magical, fool proof method to losing weight!

Went to McDonalds the other day. Sat myself down beside a woman and her extremely overweight, 8-10 year old son. Poor kid had the same meal as me only an extra patty and super sized fries.... Made me wonder if his mum knew what calories even were...

• HippySkoppy
    HippySkoppy Posts: 725 Member
    Options

Poppycock! Calorie deficit IS the secret! What a magical, fool proof method to losing weight!

Went to McDonalds the other day. Sat myself down beside a woman and her extremely overweight, 8-10 year old son. Poor kid had the same meal as me only an extra patty and super sized fries.... Made me wonder if his mum knew what calories even were...

I agree but I don't think CI-CO is as "Sexy" and perhaps rapid enough for their limited patience. ;)
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    How friggin' bony I am.

Even when I was almost 30 pounds heavier, I still had fairly bony hips, feet and hands. But I can't sit in certain chairs for long because my shoulder blades have no padding anymore, and neither does my *kitten*. Wooden chairs are a literal pain LOL.

I'm less susceptible to heat. Not to say I'm cold always (thank goodness) but warm rooms are my haven and I'm perfectly comfortable with lots of heat.

~Lyssa
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I noticed I've become quite the calorie calculator... My bf has thrown this question at me a few times: "How many calories do you think I've eaten today?" He's always so surprised when I want to know every single detail of the dishes (like how big the bread roll was compared to my palm, was there butter on it, how many slices of cheese..) and he's tried to make it seem like it's meaningless to ask those questions. Well, just so happens that he didn't even know the calories of a 100g dry pasta. :D There were some other instances too where I proved how well I estimated/counted the calories in a meal I had... Even I didn't know I was so good!
    110032339 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    3 weeks in and last night I ate 6 pancakes (only 200 cals over my daily goal still :) ) and ate until I felt stuffed - something I used to do all the time before I started this - and it was awful, I couldn't get comfy to sleep and I was still full this morning and felt horrible and uncomfortable all day.

Before this I would have thought that was normal and never understood how people didn't eat until they were just not hungry anymore but I've finally seen the benefit!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    How many weight loss or fitness apps or sites want to link or post to facebook. Because we all want to share this stuff with everyone we know.

I've noticed how many diets/scams/products are out there not mentioning calories at all.

I've noticed that I did not recognize how poor my condition was until it got better.

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    I've noticed that I did not recognize how poor my condition was until it got better.

sooooooooooo true!
  • emmycantbemeeko
    emmycantbemeeko Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Having spent a significant amount of time in each category, I'd say the way many people treat the overweight, the normal weight, and the "thin" is so different. The increase in the overall level of niceness/helpfulness/attention to your needs paid by strangers is pretty dramatic as you descend the scale. People are much nicer to me when I'm thin. I've never been obese, only overweight, but I trust my friends who tell me that they were/are treated horribly by strangers when very large, and it fits in well with the patterns I've noticed in my own experience of treatment by strangers gradually deteriorating as my weight increased, then improving again as it decreased.

I find this really depressing. And plenty of it- both good and bad- is coming from people who are themselves overweight- self-loathing over fat and and hatred of people who remind you of your own fat is kind of baked in to a lot of our culture. There's so much value judgement over size, and it can get really vicious. And there's an unwarranted assumption of goodness and worth on the part of people who are thin. It's weird to really see it in action as you move between categories, knowing that you're the same person but getting such different reactions from the public.
  • k_nelson_24
    k_nelson_24 Posts: 251 Member
    Options

Those that are still around me who have seen me go from highest to lowest weight and they are determined that I'm withholding some magical potion, fad, injection, shake etc etc from them.

Sadly they are profoundly turned off by the concept of me using MFP, counting calories, eating what I like and not doing anything that they have seen on TV or in magazines.....and they then go on to say that it would be too long, difficult, boring or other reason for them to even contemplate.

^ This exactly!

People get so disappointed and turned off when I tell them all I do is count my calories and exercise regularly. And I only aim for one pound loss per week!

I realized the majority of people aren't willing to put in the discipline and hard work to get results. It really hasn't happened over night. It took me almost one year to lose 75 lbs.

I've noticed that I still head for the large and XL sections in the store out of habit. I am currently a medium! Still blows my mind.

And a million times yes to being cold all the time! Brrrrrr...

Any time I eat with a coworker at lunch they make an excuse to me as to why they don't have a healthy meal in front of them, like I am the food police or something!

My husband pointed out my collarbones the other day. =)

I noticed that I don't feel like I need makeup on out in public any more. When I was over 200lbs there was NO WAY I would leave the house without a full face on. More confidence!

and so much more!

• antennachick
    antennachick Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Being able to wear clothes that were once impossible and not worried about clothes being clingy ;) I have high amount of respect for people that are overweight and struggling. I dont use the word fat. People are human and are wonderdul individuals. I am still the same person at 140 as over 200 pounds. However its easier for me to do things without being tired all the time.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    People are definitely a lot nicer to me as well. I moved to a new city in summer of 2014 and I had the hardest time making friends. Once I lost 33 pounds I started getting invited to social gatherings all the time.
  • Chaagy
    Chaagy Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I have ribs. Like seriously, when I run my hands along my body (not that I'm feeling myself up)... I have ribs. I never thought I had ribs before. :)
  • tracefan
    tracefan Posts: 382 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    This is a great post.. losing weight and feeling great is the best. As far as I'm concerned NOTHING TASTES AS GOOD AS SKINNY FEELS... I do not have a ton of weight to lose, but 2 years ago I got to a point where I felt and looked amazing. I had been doing a ton of cardio and lost inches. I ate healthy and I just had a ton of energy. It was a great year. I could go into my closet and wear anything without a worry. Then... we put our home on the market and without going into detail, my stress level was out of control... many issues that year.... so i put on weight and felt horrible. All that is in the past and I'm back on track to where I should be and have always been. It's a great feeling to look the way you want but a better feeling to FEEL GREAT and I do.
  • tracefan
    tracefan Posts: 382 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    l
  • Saraness
    Saraness Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I went to the gym today and over heard a personal trainer trying to get someone to buy into personal training. She made the poor lady get on a scale and then explained to her that she was obese. After that the personal trainer used this to show her what her body fat was. The worst is when the lady said she was eating low-carb the trainer said it was going to mess up her metabolism.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    Options
    Saraness wrote: »
    I went to the gym today and over heard a personal trainer trying to get someone to buy into personal training. She made the poor lady get on a scale and then explained to her that she was obese. After that the personal trainer used this to show her what her body fat was. The worst is when the lady said she was eating low-carb the trainer said it was going to mess up her metabolism.

sigh.............. no wonder people get turned off of gyms, and bettering themselves. it really does make me sad ....
  • WishfulThinking0
    WishfulThinking0 Posts: 54 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Seeing your friend eat 2 big double chocolate cookies and knowing that it probably amounts to the number of calories you save for your entire lunch (400-500)
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Seeing your friend eat 2 big double chocolate cookies and knowing that it probably amounts to the number of calories you save for your entire lunch (400-500)

oh i see people regularly eat in one meal what i get for a whole day. every time i go out with my best friend i look at his plate and think..... thats all day. and into the next .... LOLOLOL

(but he is a guy and a lot bigger than me, so...... LOLOL)

even then, id guess it to be maybe half of what he should be eating for the whole day (based on what my boyfriend of similar size eats to lose weight)