Which lifting program is the best for you?

Options

Replies

• midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    If you are a beginner and you belong to a gym with an Express Circuit (like a group of machines you hit as a group in 30 minutes) I really recommend that. I've been doing it for about 6 months. I've lost 30 pounds and my arms have some awesome definition. I add a few extra machines for leg/butt/thigh work, but it's easy, fast and effective.
  • Momma_Raucks
    Momma_Raucks Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I personally LOVE LOVE LOVE Bodybuilding.com - the Lee Labrada's LeanBody 12-Week Daily Trainer Program. No Supersets which I dig cause sometimes you just cant. I had HUGE success on this plan, never spend more than an hour in the gym. Its awesome.
  • jsdayone
    jsdayone Posts: 3 Member
    Options

Have a look at the All Pro programme if you don't like 5x5. It is a rep progression (8-12) rather than weight progression. One increases the weights every 5 weeks rather than every session, but increases reps every week. With your limited equipment you may find this satisfactory.

Because you increase reps you 1RM is increasing weekly so you are constantly progressing.

Thank you @middlehaitch!
  • jamesakrobinson
    jamesakrobinson Posts: 2,149 Member
    Options
    I guess I am in a tiny minority just doing regular "bro splits" and changing things up (exercises or bodypart split or intensity vs volume) whenever I hit a plateau, or have an injury to work around, or just 'cause I am bored.
    I try to have one of "the big three" as my first exercises of each workout, but will sometimes just go in and do bis, tris, and shoulders on a day that I hadn't intended to hit the gym... Or the opposite today when I went biking instead of the gym because I hit chest REALLY hard yesterday and felt like it was probably best to take an "active recovery" day. (plus the weather was beautiful!)
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    bump
  • draftsman28
    draftsman28 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Program preference as it relates to your goal is important consideration. My goal is gaining and I do a (bro?) Push, Pull, Legs split, pushing & pulling twice a week, legs once. I like the volume hitting upper body parts twice a week.
  • brendanwhite84
    brendanwhite84 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    For anyone on the fence, I've had good results with Wendler 5/3/1 Boring But Big, on a longer (6-week) deload cycle. I originally picked it because I found SL5x5 a bit squat-heavy and I wanted to get in more deadlift volume, which I much prefer.
  • mybesttutu
    mybesttutu Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Thank you
  • NikolaosKey
    NikolaosKey Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    I like Steve Shaw's rep goal system, found in the ebook Massive Iron https://www.tigerfitness.com/massive-iron-e-book
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    For anyone on the fence, I've had good results with Wendler 5/3/1 Boring But Big, on a longer (6-week) deload cycle. I originally picked it because I found SL5x5 a bit squat-heavy and I wanted to get in more deadlift volume, which I much prefer.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the 50 to 5 rep ratio of squats vs deadlifts. So I just do 5 sets instead of 1, though I wish that was an override option on the app to support the tracking and with the automatic rest interval timer.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Hey, I am doing the Strong Lifts 5x5 program. I, too, find the lack of Dead Lifts to be a problem. I, too, do three or five sets of Dead Lifts. The app works pretty well. I *believe* that you can edit the app to reflect this change. I have not yet done that but will likely tomorrow.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Squats can load the erectors once they're heavy enough which would wipe you out for deads for the most part, which is why it's designed that way, but at lighter loads, you can always increase sets. Or just start with a heavier weight if you feel your form is on point for deads.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    anubis609 wrote: »
    Squats can load the erectors once they're heavy enough which would wipe you out for deads for the most part, which is why it's designed that way, but at lighter loads, you can always increase sets. Or just start with a heavier weight if you feel your form is on point for deads.

To add, alternatively every 4th week you can switch DL and squats. Or reverse the program and DL more than squat or even cycle it. That is how PHAT can be designed. My buddy and i wanted a more DL centric program, so i added mpre heavy DL and incorpated Squats as an accessory and as my speed work. Once we are both accumulated to the volume and not seeing as much progress, i plan om incorporating heavy squat.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    Options
    Thanks, guys! I know that there are issues with this program. I am just going to go with it. And make the changes when it seems appropriate. I do like the idea of swapping DL and Squats. And I am doing squats after the other two lifts....squats will eventually get heavy (like in the next two weeks) and will take some juice outta me. DLs take some juice outta me. Even the 175lbs DL.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    For SL5x5 I just made the warmup on DL a lot more, and started with 9 reps working weight until the weight increases forced it down to 5. Then moved on to my preferred routine.

But warmup started with 45 @ 10 reps, then 50 lbs more @ 9 reps, 50 more at 8, ect, until within 50 of working weight, then the working weight back up to 9 reps when it was possible.
    That led to a lot of sets with brief rests for adding plates, but started getting nice and heavier, making the working weight more interesting.

I liked that method too @psuLemon mentions of swapping for a week, like when the squats needed a break for slower advancement, but room on DL for more.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    Options
    Awesome - that is why I stick around (well, and I like helping people). I have modified my SL 5x5 program a little bit (doing 4x a week instead of the prescribed 3x a week) and am really going to take @psuLemon's suggestion and swap out DLs for Squats one week. Great idea. I was trying sooooo dang hard to follow a program as built. I knew that would not happen....but I am really trying. Now, once I get to the next level - MadCow - that I will see how I can modify. That I will likely do the 3x a week but will likely do the swap out for one week.......

I am going to get to interesting weights likely next week.....well, for me interesting weights.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Awesome - that is why I stick around (well, and I like helping people). I have modified my SL 5x5 program a little bit (doing 4x a week instead of the prescribed 3x a week) and am really going to take @psuLemon's suggestion and swap out DLs for Squats one week. Great idea. I was trying sooooo dang hard to follow a program as built. I knew that would not happen....but I am really trying. Now, once I get to the next level - MadCow - that I will see how I can modify. That I will likely do the 3x a week but will likely do the swap out for one week.......

I am going to get to interesting weights likely next week.....well, for me interesting weights.

At 4x a week, you end up with lifts on consecutive days every 7 days. Do you find that there is a difference in how much you can lift or number of reps between the times you don't have rest and the times you do?
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    Options
    @richardgavel - I am really new to this Strong Lifts 5x5 program - just completed Week 2. So, that means that the weights are really low still (for me). At this point, there has not been any issue with waiting just 90 seconds between sets (for all five lifts).

I have been training for a long time - but have never started, yet alone finished a set program - and am doing this program for the experience. I will likely move on to MadCows at the appropriate time and then on to another program (strongly considering Johnny Candito's). Mostly, my focus here is simply running through a few "popular" programs.

I am doing SL 5x5 on Tuesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays and Sundays - so, yes, there are two days in a row now. Like I have stated, up to this point, the weights have been really low (for me) so doing them with the 90 second rest in between sets has not been a problem. I will do this week and do not anticipate any issues (based on weight on the bar) and will then do - God willing - the following week, at which time the weight on the bar (mostly for squats only) will start to get a little bit more interesting. But, interesting in the fact that I missed three months (yes, MONTHS, not weeks) of training due to a cyst issue. Honestly, I do not foresee any challenges until the following week.....but that remains to be seen.

I am considering playing with the programming a little bit (see the post to which you asked your question) just to get a little more Dead Lift activity in. Dead Lifts are my favorite and I perform well with them.

Are you interested in playing with this program as well? As a general program for beginners, I like it (with some reservations).
  • 4queen_t
    4queen_t Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Body for Life...Love it!