If I hear Oprah say she loves bread one more time.....

Options

Replies

• ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options

Well, I am only like 16 lbs down from my heaviest weight ever. Which was 30 lbs up from my heaviest weight before that. Which was 20 lbs up from my heaviest weight before that. etc. So not gonna judge her for regaining. True, I don't do anything 'extreme' but even doing things the 'right' way several times, well, here I am again. I gotta respect her professional rise from nothing to media mogul, empress, and great success. Sure not for everyone, but I feel like she takes a lot more crap than a lot of guys who came from better circumstances and made less.

I don't have a problem with her regaining. That's human. Even with the money to buy her own chef and trainer, she still has to have the willpower to say "no" to any food that crosses her outside of those two sources - and as a former binge eater, I also understand how that can be difficult, even being the richest of the rich.

But I do have a problem with her purporting to find "the one, true answer to weight loss" every time she's down 10 or 20 lbs. When she goes back up, that really hurts the credibility of the program, and yet, the next time she finds some new bandwagon to jump on, millions of women follow her. One would think people would begin looking at her track record of success and stop buying whatever she happens to be selling on that particular day, but that doesn't happen.

I also have a problem with her giving Dr. Phil and Dr. Oz a platform to stand on. Seriously, people should stop looking at that woman like an expert for anything physical or mental health related.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Well, I am only like 16 lbs down from my heaviest weight ever. Which was 30 lbs up from my heaviest weight before that. Which was 20 lbs up from my heaviest weight before that. etc. So not gonna judge her for regaining. True, I don't do anything 'extreme' but even doing things the 'right' way several times, well, here I am again. I gotta respect her professional rise from nothing to media mogul, empress, and great success. Sure not for everyone, but I feel like she takes a lot more crap than a lot of guys who came from better circumstances and made less.

I don't have a problem with her regaining. That's human. Even with the money to buy her own chef and trainer, she still has to have the willpower to say "no" to any food that crosses her outside of those two sources - and as a former binge eater, I also understand how that can be difficult, even being the richest of the rich.

But I do have a problem with her purporting to find "the one, true answer to weight loss" every time she's down 10 or 20 lbs. When she goes back up, that really hurts the credibility of the program, and yet, the next time she finds some new bandwagon to jump on, millions of women follow her. One would think people would begin looking at her track record of success and stop buying whatever she happens to be selling on that particular day, but that doesn't happen.

I also have a problem with her giving Dr. Phil and Dr. Oz a platform to stand on. Seriously, people should stop looking at that woman like an expert for anything physical or mental health related.

Yeah, I think it's clear at this point that Oprah (like many of us) is great at finding weight loss methods that get results. She's fantastic at losing weight. This issue is sustaining it and there is no evidence (yet) that she will find WW easier to maintain that anything else she has tried over the decades.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    She owns 10 percent of ww now. She has tripled their stock. She has resuscitate this company that was on verge of bankruptcy. She is one of the worlds most influential women. After the first commercial came out ( not the bread one ) how many joined? A lot!

And I thought well that commercial was stupid, you can sway the world with words and that's what you say? I lost 25 lbs eating bread! ( smells like a food lobby ploy to me)
  • Nachise
    Nachise Posts: 395 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    There is a good reason why WW is in trouble. It's expensive, for starters. Secondly, they are always reinventing the wheel and changing the weight loss matrix. Thirdly, there were always long lines to weigh in, and the "weighers" always had to chit chat. The lecture usually started shortly after folks started weighing in, and you were either getting interrupted because new folks were just coming into the room, or you were coming in halfway through the lecture. It can and does work for some people, but I got tired of it. I, personally, don't do well weighing in every week. It messes with my head. I get better results weighing in once a month with my nutritionist.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    if she loves bread so much maybe she should become the next subway spokesperson since jared wont be doing it ever again. well at least not on the outside

But he'll still get plenty of footlongs.

oh yeah he will
  • ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I used to love bread, too, when I thought it was "free" but couldn't figure out why my pants didn't fit. Ever since I joined MFP, bread has definitely lost it's allure. I still have it, but I'm much pickier about it because it tends to be high in calories and don't fill me up as much as other foods I can eat for the same calories. So you can have bread once in a while? Yes, we already know that, don't we?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    ncfitbit wrote: »
    I used to love bread, too, when I thought it was "free" but couldn't figure out why my pants didn't fit. Ever since I joined MFP, bread has definitely lost it's allure. I still have it, but I'm much pickier about it because it tends to be high in calories and don't fill me up as much as other foods I can eat for the same calories. So you can have bread once in a while? Yes, we already know that, don't we?

You can have bread daily if you want it. You might not have something else as often, but you can lose/maintain weight while eating bread daily.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options

I don't think she does that. I'm no expert on her but I don't recall her recommending any diets in the last 30 years besides sharing her own Optifast experience, following trainer Bob Greene and now WW. But when she reads a new book, millions of women read it, mentions a new perfume, etc., etc. They even named it-- the Oprah Effect.

That footage of her running with a bad sports bra is old footage. The whole commercial is made up of old footage. It's supposed to be a look back at her struggles. She since found and recommended the Enell sports bras, and of course millions of women bought them.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    vivmom2014 wrote: »
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    From this thread:

I have learned about Twix ice cream bars (so excited)

I have been reminded of the musical memories of Bread (wonderful)

I have come to the conclusion that people without TV have less dislike for Oprah than those who do have TV (also no TV here, so I haven't seen the commercials)

Did I miss anything?

Yes. Oprah needs a sports bra.

Thank you! I felt I was leaving something out :smile:
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    From this thread:

I have come to the conclusion that people without TV have less dislike for Oprah than those who do have TV (also no TV here, so I haven't seen the commercials)

Did I miss anything?

So was Oprah.

Anyone having flashbacks to her first huge weight loss and how she pulled a red wagon full of meat on stage?
    moments_101_640x360.jpg
  • oolou
    oolou Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    so ... um ... does WW have a maintenance program (as that appears to be O's problem)?
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    So was Oprah.

Haha - I see what you did there.

And, yes, I totally remember her pulling out her fat wagon!!

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Hey she finally realized it's ok to eat bread and still be able to lose weight. Good for her!! :drinker:
    I'm sure this is the 10th time she finally realized it....
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Nachise wrote: »
    There is a good reason why WW is in trouble. It's expensive, for starters. Secondly, they are always reinventing the wheel and changing the weight loss matrix. Thirdly, there were always long lines to weigh in, and the "weighers" always had to chit chat. The lecture usually started shortly after folks started weighing in, and you were either getting interrupted because new folks were just coming into the room, or you were coming in halfway through the lecture. It can and does work for some people, but I got tired of it. I, personally, don't do well weighing in every week. It messes with my head. I get better results weighing in once a month with my nutritionist.

I think sites/apps like MFP have a lot to do with it as well. Why pay a lot of money for something that you can get for free elsewhere?
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    It's a great business model, advertise that nothing has to be given up or changed..apparently it is what some people want to hear...eat the foods you most love but just control the portion sizes, and have bread everyday.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    From this thread:

Did I miss anything?

So was Oprah.

Anyone having flashbacks to her first huge weight loss and how she pulled a red wagon full of meat on stage?
    moments_101_640x360.jpg

Agh! I feel so unsupported :laugh:
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    Agh! I feel so unsupported :laugh:

:D

• BuffyBourbon
    BuffyBourbon Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    That footage of her running with a bad sports bra is old footage. The whole commercial is made up of old footage. It's supposed to be a look back at her struggles. She since found and recommended the Enell sports bras, and of course millions of women bought them.

Well yes, but in Enell's defense, they are AWESOME bras... I won't even get on a horse without one anymore. I didn't know she had endorsed them till i'd been using them a year though!
  • tracefan
    tracefan Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I LOVE BREAD!!!! I love bread!!! Did you know that I LOVE BREAD!!! Um Bread.. Yum Bread.. BREAD BREAD BREAD
  • tracefan
    tracefan Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I hear you on this.. lol
    And yeah, the fact that Oprah I now their spokesperson is yet another reason I'm glad I quit WW.