Do you eat peanut shells?

Options
124»

Replies

• CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    I do eat the peanut shells if they are roasted in the shell and are spicy, but I usually only have no more than eight whole shells at one time. The brand I get here are Hampton Farms Cajun Creole Hot Nuts, and the shells retain a lot of the spicy flavor.

I also eat the whole apple to include the seeds; and yes I know the seeds have amygdalin which can be metabolized into hydrogen cyanide, but I eat very few whole apples. I sometimes put 15g of raw cassava - which has linamarin, another substance that can be metabolized into hydrogen cyanide - into salads with no ill effects.
  • Soundwave79
    Soundwave79 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    CyberTone wrote: »
    I do eat the peanut shells if they are roasted in the shell and are spicy, but I usually only have no more than eight whole shells at one time. The brand I get here are Hampton Farms Cajun Creole Hot Nuts, and the shells retain a lot of the spicy flavor.

I also eat the whole apple to include the seeds; and yes I know the seeds have amygdalin which can be metabolized into hydrogen cyanide, but I eat very few whole apples. I sometimes put 15g of raw cassava - which has linamarin, another substance that can be metabolized into hydrogen cyanide - into salads with no ill effects.

Literally have no idea what you just said :s

No to the peanut shells or sunflower seeds for me. But when I was a kid my mom used to bake pumpkin seeds and I'd eat the shells of those.

• girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I didn't know pumpkin seeds had a shell, so I guess I do that too.

Usually they are sold shelled - they are green in this state, otherwise they are pale cream in colour (or tending to be orange when fresh). I personally love the trick of deshelling them with my teeth (holidays in Turkey snacking at the bar with a glass of Raki) - you get the lovely saltiness, but none of the shelliness.

as to Monkey nuts (as peanuts are known here when still in their shell), nope. Crack them open, eat the nut, discard the shell.

off to buy some kiwis. They generally suggest that all the good nutrients are close to the skin but that fur!!
  • hopeandtheabsurd
    hopeandtheabsurd Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I sent the kid into school today with a kiwi and told her she could eat the skin. Can't wait to hear what happens. >:)
  • NewOR2015
    NewOR2015 Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    You can't just bite into a peanut with shell on and eat the whole thing. You have to to crack it open and see if the nut looks good, and then eat the nut only.
  • spoonyspork
    spoonyspork Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    My son used to eat the whole peanut, shell and all. I had no idea as we almost never went anywhere with in-shell peanuts and I usually bought shelled ones. One day we were eating at a Five Guys and I about flipped when I realized he was eating the whole thing. Said his dad did it too (which was also a surprise - we were together several years and I never witnessed it!)

Anyway, I read up and it didn't seem to have any proven bad effects and he'd apparently been doing it for years anyway so I let it be. He got out of the habit when he cut his gums up trying to eat the whole thing after losing some baby teeth and never got back into it - he shells them now.

I do also eat the whole apple, though I spit out the seeds. If there's a stem I leave that out too (it actually makes a nice handle for eating them!)
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    I didn't know you could eat the shell. Do you mean the papery brown covering between the shell and nut, or the actual outer shell?

I mean the shell that holds the (usually) 2 nuts. Like if you went to a steakhouse that provides buckets of shelled peanuts you'd just pop the whole thing in your mouth.

I did just yesterday with some friends and they were both eating the whole thing. Despite the obvious germs that are probably on these in a steakhouse setting, I'd never seen anyone do it. Just wondering if my friends are psychos (as suggested above) or this is something many people do.

After a few beers I did give it a try. It was surprisingly not bad. Crunchy and very salty, but easily chewed.

I tried chewing the shells when I was young but didn't end up actually swallowing the shell. I liked the salt.
    Are they familiar with peanuts in the shell and that most people do not eat the shell? Could be they do not know and think you are supposed to eat the whole thing while secretly thinking it is terrible.

LOL No, they like them. After I expressed shock at them eating them they continued to eat them and convinced me to try it. As I said, it wasn't bad. The worst part to me was that it overwhelmed the peanut flavor.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    leosmith66 wrote: »
    Peanut shells? Meh...
    But walnut shells are nice and crunchy. And if you like to chew on something tough that has an interesting kick, I recommend pineapple peel. I'll really eat just about any kind of peel or shell, even clam shells, but there's one kind of peel that I think people are insane to eat. Grape peels. How disgusting! And furthermore, those lunatics are putting people out of a job.

Ha ha. I'd like to see someone chew up a black walnut shell. :noway:
  • mean_and_lean
    mean_and_lean Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Another food that does not need to be peeled is ginger root. You're welcome.

It never occurred to me to peel ginger root.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    NewOR2015 wrote: »
    You can't just bite into a peanut with shell on and eat the whole thing. You have to to crack it open and see if the nut looks good, and then eat the nut only.

Actually, you can. And I have.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Another food that does not need to be peeled is ginger root. You're welcome.

It never occurred to me to peel ginger root.

I always have, so appreciate learning from ksharma (in an earlier thread) that I need not. I actually used it less than I otherwise would have since peeling it is such a hassle.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    i suck on the shell. i like the salt. but i don't chew and swallow. lol. giggity.