Sweetttt Toothh!!!

Options
Hi, I'm new to this dieting thing, but my problem is i can't seem to shake my sweet tooth cravings.. so if y'all could please give me some healthy recipes or even just better for you recipes of sweets, that would be awesome! TYIA

Replies

• SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    I save a few calories most days for a treat, as I love to have something sweet in my day! My usual indulgences are a Yoplait Dessert Selection yogurt (35 cals), a Fudgsicle low fat bar (40 cals) or a square or two of 85% dark chocolate (65 cals per square for the brand I eat).

You can also search online for recipes - try skinnytaste.com as an example.

If you really love sweet things, you can have them - you just need to make room for them in your daily allowance! :smile:
  • mknd
    mknd Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm new to this dieting thing, but my problem is i can't seem to shake my sweet tooth cravings.. so if y'all could please give me some healthy recipes or even just better for you recipes of sweets, that would be awesome! TYIA

Cottage cheese with raspberry protein powder
  • SassyNKC
    SassyNKC Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have a horrible sweet tooth. But since being on Paleo you can't eat 'sugar' I found a lot of recipes that can satisfy my craving. This is very low in calories and MFP has it/or one similar to it loaded already. http://www.foodfanatic.com/recipes/paleo-mug-cake-recipe/

• _nutmegg
    _nutmegg Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I love ricotta cremes. http://www.food.com/recipe/south-beach-diets-mocha-ricotta-creme-phase-i-110938 When I first saw the ricotta cheese I was skeptical but it's actually really good and always satisfies my sweet tooth.
    Also chocolate peanut butter "ice cream" has been hitting the spot lately. Just add 1-2tbs peanut butter to this recipe. http://aseasyasapplepie.com/chocolate-banana-ice-cream/
  • mxchana
    mxchana Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Based on my personal experience, and the reported experience of many other people like me, if you have a serious "sweeth tooth" you may have to consider giving up sweets and refined carbs completely. It is the only cure for filling those cravings that I have found. So it really depends on whether you have just a normal liking for sweets and can eat them in moderation - I just can't.
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    When I eat refined sugar, it makes me want more sugar, so I only eat it not often and not a lot of it.
    But sometimes I mess up and eat too much, then I want more.
    I try to stick with the natural sugars in fruit or I add honey to my frozen yogurt.
    I agree with the post above.
  • Buzymomof_3
    Buzymomof_3 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I like animal crackers - they have a slight sweetness to them that usually satisfies me.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options

Don't diet watch your calories closer, and try and go for moderation. I still enjoy ice cream and dark chocolate (65% is as dark as I can get), etc but just in smaller sizes (thanks food scale!) when it fits in my macros (not going to pretend I don't ever go over my sugar macro). Some, like @SassyNKC have to just cut it completely, but I find that I will snap and binge eat sweets when that happens.
  • sgrbabe2003
    sgrbabe2003 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I drink smoothies made in my nutribullet. Banana, strawberry, vanilla almond milk, occasionally I'll throw in one or two tbs powdered organic peanut butter.
  • sgrbabe2003
    sgrbabe2003 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Oh I freeze the fruit prior!
  • crystalcassarah315
    Options
    I love animal crackers too, are they good for you though??
    I like animal crackers - they have a slight sweetness to them that usually satisfies me.

• crystalcassarah315
    Options
    1 whole banana, how many strawberries, and how much almond milk?? and where can i find powdered peanut butter??
    I drink smoothies made in my nutribullet. Banana, strawberry, vanilla almond milk, occasionally I'll throw in one or two tbs powdered organic peanut butter.

• crystalcassarah315
    Options
    Do you eat any ice cream you like, or is there a specific kind or brand you try to get??

Don't diet watch your calories closer, and try and go for moderation. I still enjoy ice cream and dark chocolate (65% is as dark as I can get), etc but just in smaller sizes (thanks food scale!) when it fits in my macros (not going to pretend I don't ever go over my sugar macro). Some, like @SassyNKC have to just cut it completely, but I find that I will snap and binge eat sweets when that happens.[/quote]

• KellieTru
    KellieTru Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I eat ripe pineapple when my sweet tooth is acting up. Does the trick for me :)
  • andreada98507
    andreada98507 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem and so I'm trying to cut way back on sugary things and bread.

But there are some tasty alternatives:
    Trader Joes carries sugar free dark chocolate (55%, I think).
    There's an amazing recipe at Cooking Light for Crema Catalana:http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/crema-catalana
    It's sort of a Spanish version of Creme Brulee. The cooking Light recipe is 142 calories per serving, but I've cut it down even further by using a sugar substitute (either zevia or xylotol, but that's for the sugar that goes in the custard only - the real rhing is needed for the burnt sugar topping), and I'm planning to try low fat milk instead of whole milk the next time I make it. I also substitute other types of citrus peel for some of the lemon peel, but that's a taste issue, not a caloric one. It's easy to make, too! And it's so pretty that I feel that I'm really giving myself a treat rather than denying myself something I want.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

I love sweet things! I used to be able to eat several chocolate bars in a single sitting. I don't do that now, but I will save some cals each day for a treat (usually ice cream). It helps to keep me on track through the day, and helps me feel like I'm not on a 'diet.' It's like a game. Can I balance all of my macros and micros and still fit in a treat? The answer is yes. It did take a long time to get to the point of being able to have ice cream in the house though. So if you have trouble with eating a single serving, perhaps start with buying only one serving at a time. :smile:
  • Triplestep
    Triplestep Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    mxchana wrote: »
    Based on my personal experience, and the reported experience of many other people like me, if you have a serious "sweeth tooth" you may have to consider giving up sweets and refined carbs completely. It is the only cure for filling those cravings that I have found. So it really depends on whether you have just a normal liking for sweets and can eat them in moderation - I just can't.

Pretty much this. I would ease up on the sugar and sugar substitutes for at least a few weeks; eliminate if you can, but if not, then really cut down. It's gonna suck for a while, but the reward is you'll find your sugar cravings really diminish, and you'll be satisfied with much less.

Back when I did Weight Watchers, I had a leader who would give us recipes for "treats" and I found myself living for the daily fudgcicle mashed up with sugar free cool whip or the like. Now I get most of my calories from real food, but I enjoy a serving of cookies with almond milk now and then, and I'm satisfied with much less. (I am also having much more success than I ever did on Weight Watchers.)
  • crystalcassarah315
    Options
    Thank you guys so much!
  • jenniferpiotrowski0
    Options
    Check out chocolate covered katies website..she has some healthier options sometimes for sweet tooth people. I'm like that too so I eat sweets within my calorie deficit when I crave it. Check out www.chocolatecoveredkatie.com for recipes
  • crystalcassarah315
    Options
    Thank you so much. I will definitely give it a look.
    Check out chocolate covered katies website..she has some healthier options sometimes for sweet tooth people. I'm like that too so I eat sweets within my calorie deficit when I crave it. Check out www.chocolatecoveredkatie.com for recipes