Sweetttt Toothh!!!

2»

Replies

• andreada98507
    andreada98507 Posts: 24 Member
    Triplestep wrote: »
    I would ease up on the sugar and sugar substitutes for at least a few weeks; eliminate if you can, but if not, then really cut down. It's gonna suck for a while, but the reward is you'll find your sugar cravings really diminish, and you'll be satisfied with much less.
    This is excellent advice, and that's pretty much what I'm trying. But I am allowing myself stevia-sweetened chocolate, in moderation. Stevia apparently doesn't spike the blood sugar and then drop it sharply soon after eating it, which I've read is what sugar does, as well as most artificial sweeteners. Supposedly that's what causes cravings, and my lack of cravings when eating stevia-sweetened chocolate seems to bear that out.

Crystal, since commenting upthread I've found an even better stevia-sweetened chocolate bar, Lilly's Original Dark Chocolate. It's texture is much better - smoother, creamier - than the Trader Joe's bar. I bought it Friday and still have some left, so it obviously didn't lead to cravings! It's 160 calories for half a bar - not bad, eh? -and available at Whole Foods. I find it so much easier to stick to a diet if I'm not constantly feeling deprived, so maybe this will help you too.

• cfranklin10
    cfranklin10 Posts: 28 Member
    a glass of chocolate almond milk always satisfies my sweet tooth!
  • I will try that, thank you!
    a glass of chocolate almond milk always satisfies my sweet tooth!

• Thank you! I will look for it, but we don't have a Whole foods where I'm from.. :neutral:
    Triplestep wrote: »
    I would ease up on the sugar and sugar substitutes for at least a few weeks; eliminate if you can, but if not, then really cut down. It's gonna suck for a while, but the reward is you'll find your sugar cravings really diminish, and you'll be satisfied with much less.
    This is excellent advice, and that's pretty much what I'm trying. But I am allowing myself stevia-sweetened chocolate, in moderation. Stevia apparently doesn't spike the blood sugar and then drop it sharply soon after eating it, which I've read is what sugar does, as well as most artificial sweeteners. Supposedly that's what causes cravings, and my lack of cravings when eating stevia-sweetened chocolate seems to bear that out.

Crystal, since commenting upthread I've found an even better stevia-sweetened chocolate bar, Lilly's Original Dark Chocolate. It's texture is much better - smoother, creamier - than the Trader Joe's bar. I bought it Friday and still have some left, so it obviously didn't lead to cravings! It's 160 calories for half a bar - not bad, eh? -and available at Whole Foods. I find it so much easier to stick to a diet if I'm not constantly feeling deprived, so maybe this will help you too.

• seayemily100
    seayemily100 Posts: 12 Member
    My sweet tooth kills me! Try mock ice cream, or protein ice cream (I don't have the recipes on me, but you can find it in forums or online). Try eating fruits instead, I also like fiber one 90 calorie brownies, or fiber one chocolate granola bars. I heated up a fiber one brownie and put a scoop of ice cream on top, not bad!
  • mandikaysmom
    mandikaysmom Posts: 5 Member
    Quest Bars found at Academy are a great treat under 200 calories with 13-15 grams of fiber, 20 grams of protein, and 20-23 carbs. Very filling. They come in many flavors but Cookies an Cream is my favorite.

Frozen custard (like Andy's) has less carbs than regular ice cream.

• vegmebuff
    vegmebuff Posts: 31,389 Member
    I flavor unflavored gelatin with a fruity herbal tea. Use stevia to sweeten. I will have a bowl of jello with a few spoonfuls of greek yogurt, sliced banana, cinnamon and a touch of vanilla. Since it's so low in calories I sometimes put a few toasted nuts on top too.
  • emjay81
    emjay81 Posts: 1 Member
    edited February 2016
    I have a major sweet tooth! I have given up wheat and sugar but I still enjoy something sweet and swerve has changed my life! Swerve is a natural sweetener usually found at health food stores. I make baked goods with it and even hot cocoa and it tastes like sugar! I find mine at whole foods or H-E-B Central market.

My favorite thing to make with it is strawberry Meringue cookies! Tastes like cotton candy!

Here is the recipe:

Makes 60 meringues
    1/2 calorie per cookie

2 large egg whites (room temp)
    1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
    1/3 cup swerve sweetener (powdered)
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1/2 teaspoon sugarfree strawberry jello powder (or any flavor but this ends up tasting almost like cotton candy!)

Preheat the oven to 350°
    Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper (I sprayed a teeny bit of nonstick spray in the corners to help the parchment paper stick)

Mix the swerve and the Jell-O mix together in a small bowl.

In a large bowl, beat the room temperature egg whites with the cream of tartar until very fluffy and form stiff peaks.
    *Be careful not to over whip till they are dry. Also, you must use fresh eggs, not from a carton. Dont get any yolk in the egg whites.

Add a large spoonful (3 tablespoons) to the sugar mixture and beat until blended. Repeat until you have added half of the sugar mixture then add the vanilla, blend and then keep adding the sugar mixture until the meringue is fluffy and thick. It wont get shiny like traditional meringe thats made with sugar.

Spoon teaspoon full size of the meringue onto the baking sheet using the back of another teaspoon and place them 1 inch apart. The larger you make them, the softer they will be, but I recommend the teaspoon size so they are crispy and then melt in your mouth

Place in the oven and turn the oven off. Leave them in there at least 2 hours or overnight, to dry. Store in an airtight container on the counter
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Protein powder in Greek yogurt or oatmeal is very satisfying.