A "situation" in the gym - how would you handle it?

Options
123457»

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Out of interest, is the standard etiquette to completely strip a barbell on a rack every time?

I'm not sure I've ever seen that happen at my gym

People put dumbbell and fixed weights away ..but they don't unload the bars generally...I only realised today when I took over the rack that I naturally strip and reload to my starting weight (to be fair it was only left at 7.5kg so easy enough to remove 2 plates and put on the 10)
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I only leave plates on (45s mostly) if someone is using it right after me and they indicate that they want me to leave them on as they will use them.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Out of interest, is the standard etiquette to completely strip a barbell on a rack every time?

People put dumbbell and fixed weights away ..but they don't unload the bars generally...I only realised today when I took over the rack that I naturally strip and reload to my starting weight (to be fair it was only left at 7.5kg so easy enough to remove 2 plates and put on the 10)

Stripping the bar completely is the common thing where I've been. Exception if someone is waiting to use it, ask them if they want some or all the plates left on it.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I hate when people don't unload the bar. I have waited 10-15 minutes before waiting to see if the person returns. I don't so much mind removing the plates myself but I hate wasting time. Now if there is someone working out near the rake I ask them if someone has been using the rack lately.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    This made me laugh

https://legionathletics.com/gym-etiquette/

Do not read if you are easily offended, my particular favourite is unsolicited advice and the "you don't come to his office" line
  • Jelaan
    Jelaan Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I always completely strip the bar when I am done. I like to warm up with an empty bar so I leave it that way for others. As I have arthritis in my hands, I dislike having to struggle to unload other's very heavy weights (50lb+) as I find the wider heavy individual weighs hard to hold. I usually have no choice and hope that my grip doesn't give out before I even begin to lift. On another note I always clean the bar before and after lifting - don't want other people's neck sweat on me. Ewwww. You would be amazed how much the colour of the bar changes. My mommy glare and polite "no, I don't mind waiting while you remove your weights" seems to work. One advantage of being older than most of the guys in the weight area.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

it's standard to occasionally leave a set of 45's on the bar- but as @singingflutelady mentioned- you don't know if someone is done at that point.
    i always strip to the bar- and I've pointed out to the guys who do leave one set of 45's on that I warm up with the bar and even though 135 is still warm up weight for me on all lifts but bench- I still need the bar. We have several competent women who lift in my gym and honestly I think they are used to us coming in before or after so they either will strip it off- or ask if we want weight left on the bar.

The only time I truly don't care about weights being left on the bar is the sled press... like- eh. whatever. Even i'll leave a set on there if I"m in a hurry.