I hate that fruit has so many carbs

I had such a craving for those little Cutie tangerines so I bought them. Looking forward to having 2 for breakfast but it's 20 carbs. I follow a moderate carb diet so I can make it work but it annoys me that fruit is so high in carbs when other items with added sugar are lower.

Replies

• QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Other items with added sugar are not nearly as healthy as those clementines. You have to look at the nutrition of the item, not the calories if you want to be healthy.
  • moranjmmj
    moranjmmj Posts: 7 Member
    Completely annoying I agree but fruit in its original state (meaning not baked in a pie or cooked with other added sugars) is healthier than the altenative. I am also trying to stay low carb but I find if I have one Clementine or pineapple slice or apple, I find I am satisfied that I got a treat and it's a healthy one. So don't give up on all fruits. If your going to eat carbs it is the healthy option.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    What's wrong with carbs?
  • I'm pre diabetic so I need to watch my carb intake.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    I like that fruit has carbs. Makes it a decent choice for before or after a workout and a good way to add carbs to my breakfast, which otherwise tends to be lower carb than I like (I'm an omelet fan).
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Oh OK good reason :)
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    I wonder how many people gave themselves diabetes by scoffing too many clementines.....? :neutral:
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    edited February 2016
    I'm also pre diabetic and eat 1 piece of whole fruit a day, usually an apple, so I can put peanut butter on it. Maybe you could cut your carbs somewhere else one day so you could enjoy a few clementines.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    So have one? Cut into some greek yoghurt with pecans.
  • kimbaleelawr
    kimbaleelawr Posts: 3 Member
    If you really want fruit then berries are a way to go and still limit your carbs. Blackberries, strawberries, blueberries and raspberries are good choices. They give you sweet and flavorful goodness when you really are craving that.

• BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member

she had two lol hehehe
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Did a dr tell you to limit fruit per day because of prediabetes? Because this sounds really weird.
  • tjl2329
    tjl2329 Posts: 169 Member
    My doctor said i can have two fruits per day. I am diabetic and am counting carbs too. It is crazy but a way of life. I eat half portions of fruit so i can eat it more through the day. sometimes a quarter apple. Or pear with 1/4 banana and some berries. Delicous under 30 carbs and kind of satisfies me
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member

she had two lol hehehe

:joy:
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member

That sounds super yummy!
  • ellenavegan
    ellenavegan Posts: 8 Member
    Why are carbs bad? I follow a high carb low fat vegan lifestyle and my health is great? I'm not trying to be rude I'm generally curious aha x
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    aggelikik wrote: »
    Did a dr tell you to limit fruit per day because of prediabetes? Because this sounds really weird.

My dr and nutritionist did this. Lower carbs help people that are prediabetic lose better and from becoming full on Diabetic. That was the original premise of Atkins and low carb diets on general; to help people with diabetes.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    darlswife wrote: »
    aggelikik wrote: »

My dr and nutritionist did this. Lower carbs help people that are prediabetic lose better and from becoming full on Diabetic. That was the original premise of Atkins and low carb diets on general; to help people with diabetes.

I have no doubt that in general a diabetic needs to portion fruit throughout the day, like all carbs. But stressing over whether you can fit a second tangerine in your day, when you are not diabetic? I think this is one of the cases where one gets lost into details and overwhelmed with no reason to. Honestly, I cannot believe that in OP's case, with 180 lbs to lose and no diabetes diagnosis yet, her dr actually told her to stress over tangerines because eating a second one will stall her progress or trigger diabetes.
  • fastfoodietofitcutie
    fastfoodietofitcutie Posts: 522 Member
    edited February 2016

You are reading way too much into my post. No where did I say my dr told me not to eat fruit nor am I stressing about eating it. I was simply pointing out that I think it's interesting that fruit which is "healthy" has just as many carbs as something branded "not healthy" with added sugar. Relax, it was just my opinion and observation!

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    OP, good for you for listening to doc and random internet posters. With your attention to nutrition, weight loss, and exercise im sure you can beat this. I turned things around within a few months. Doc was astounded because she doesn't see this often.