Does milk count as water?

Options

Replies

• grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Yes, count it as water. After all it does list water on the ingredients does it not?
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    In large cities in the Middle Ages, they got most of their hydration from milk and beer/mead because the local water was normally polluted from waste disposal.

They did the same on sailing vessels since water would go bad but the barreled beer had staying power.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    I count most liquids as water. Just be sure you record it in your food diary so you account for the calories.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    OK - how about looking at it this way:

Somehow you find yourself lost and alone in the middle of the Sahara desert. No water or food. You start walking in the 40°C+ heat. For 2 days. You are now severely dehydrated and in imminent danger of dying. At first you think you are hallucinating when you see what appears to be a fridge at the top of the next sand dune. As you approach it stays there and to your surprise it turns out to be a solar powered fridge. You open it. Inside is a gallon of fresh pure milk and nothing else.

Do you:

A. drink it and stay alive?

or

B: say "dang! no water!" and carry on walking?

ask this question to the paleo/primal people.

:laugh: :wink:
  • freddi11e
    freddi11e Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    milk has calories. water doesnt. i count it milk as milk. water as water.
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    For me the only thing I count as water is water. Not flavored or anything. However, if my goal is 64 ounces and I drink a glass of milk and I'm short on water for the day, I don't sweat it as much. I know I'm still getting hydrated properly.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    Just to finish this up...it's pop. Everyone knows that.

Well alright so we have tag teams...it's you and brower against me and Otter. Go get your gear on it's throwdown time.

and the men have all done a switzerland and rallied behind a dwight gif. *smh*

I've seen what otter dead lifts... It's soda.

Pahahahahahaha!!!!

Funny side note: I really do have MMA gloves in my trunk, for my cagefit class. They only ever hit bags, but they make me feel all tough and mighty.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Assume that you use your water ticker, what prevents you from logging the calories AND ticking off a glass of liquid?
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options

Somehow you find yourself lost and alone in the middle of the Sahara desert. No water or food. You start walking in the 40°C+ heat. For 2 days. You are now severely dehydrated and in imminent danger of dying. At first you think you are hallucinating when you see what appears to be a fridge at the top of the next sand dune. As you approach it stays there and to your surprise it turns out to be a solar powered fridge. You open it. Inside is a gallon of fresh pure milk and nothing else.

Do you:

or

Some of those people will do raw, unhomogenized full fat milk, which sounds delicious and makes me want my own cow.
  • BrainyBurro
    Options

just curious... do you think that milk does NOT contribute to your daily hydration? or do you just think it's easier to only log plain water?
  • marciebrian
    marciebrian Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Do cookies count as water? I hope so. Then cookies and milk would count as TWO waters.
    :laugh: :laugh:

:laugh:
  • norahwynn
    norahwynn Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    a) You don't need 8 glasses of water a day,

b) You need to consume enough FLUIDS to keep your body hydrated.

c) If your urine is pale yellow you are hydrated.

d) Any kind of liquid will hydrate your body. Coffee, tea, milk, juice, soda, soups, etc. An apple is 85% water.

e) There is no proof that drinking large amounts of water has any effect on weight loss beyond making you feel full.

THIS!!
  • nas061
    nas061 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Check the label first, to make sure those cows weren't given bovine growth hormone!!!!!

It's OK - it's certified organic milk so no bGH :)
  • BrainyBurro
    Options

Do you:

or

Some of those people will do raw, unhomogenized full fat milk, which sounds delicious and makes me want my own cow.

IIRC, there is a whole bunch of them on here who insist that it's unnatural to drink cow's milk and that our ancestors did not do that, so they refuse to do that as well.
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    This is getting asinine. Just because you add something to the water doesn't mean you DON'T count it as water.
  • PcShed
    PcShed Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Seriously, come on! Your body needs water like you need air. You can survive for days without food but try going without water for 2 and you will see the response your body will give you. I consume 8-10 litres of water a day which is about 40 glasses. That might seems a lot but consider this: its better to have a hydrated body and dehydrated especially when training fasted after 20 hour fast.
    I stopped drinking milk 12 years ago, do some research on milk and you will understand why especially any milk from the US, UK hence why I supplement my nutrition with calcium.
    Cheers
    Sergio

I could drink nothing but milk for a month and never be dehydrated in the least. Also, I would get lots of good protein, calcium, fat and a plethora of other great things. I produce plenty of natural lactase so I have no issues with milk.

Do some research before making a statement like that:
    So why is milk so bad? According to Vivian Goldschmidt, founder of Save Our Bones, there are a variety of myths surrounding milk consumption. One of the first myths, she says, is that drinking milk creates healthy bones because of the calcium found in the milk. However, the animal protein found in milk actually depletes the human body of calcium, exactly the opposite of what milk drinkers expect it to do.

In much the same way, she also dispels another milk myth, that drinking milk will help reduce bone fractures. She cites sources that show that higher milk consumption can actually be linked with an increase in bone fractures. Further, she also states that milk is a "processed food." Milk is pasteurized and homogenized, and the cows that produce the milk are given hormones and antibiotics (which, of course, wind up in the milk). Goldschmidt then links hormonal additives to cancer.

Ultimately, Cohen, Goldschmidt and hundreds of others want Americans (and, in fact, every human being on the planet) to get this message: Say 'No' to Milk!

Sources:
    http://www.llli.org/FAQ/bflength.html
    http://www.notmilk.com/
    http://saveourbones.com/osteoporosis-milk-myth/

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/031255_milk_health.html#ixzz2XorPZUlH
  • nursejeanne
    Options
    I'm so sorry for some if the stupid pointless answers you're getting. Anything without caffeine is technically hydration. That said, milk has calories, vitamins, and fat that water doesn't have. Think of it this way: skim milk has 80-100 calorie per 8 ounces (varies by brand) if you drink 6 or 8 glasses daily look at all those calories! Most people should drink 8 ounces of milk per day and 64 ounces of water in addition to any other liquids you consume.
  • BrainyBurro
    Options
    Seriously, come on! Your body needs water like you need air. You can survive for days without food but try going without water for 2 and you will see the response your body will give you. I consume 8-10 litres of water a day which is about 40 glasses. That might seems a lot but consider this: its better to have a hydrated body and dehydrated especially when training fasted after 20 hour fast.
    I stopped drinking milk 12 years ago, do some research on milk and you will understand why especially any milk from the US, UK hence why I supplement my nutrition with calcium.
    Cheers
    Sergio

I could drink nothing but milk for a month and never be dehydrated in the least. Also, I would get lots of good protein, calcium, fat and a plethora of other great things. I produce plenty of natural lactase so I have no issues with milk.

So why is milk so bad? According to Vivian Goldschmidt, founder of Save Our Bones, there are a variety of myths surrounding milk consumption. One of the first myths, she says, is that drinking milk creates healthy bones because of the calcium found in the milk. However, the animal protein found in milk actually depletes the human body of calcium, exactly the opposite of what milk drinkers expect it to do.

In much the same way, she also dispels another milk myth, that drinking milk will help reduce bone fractures. She cites sources that show that higher milk consumption can actually be linked with an increase in bone fractures. Further, she also states that milk is a "processed food." Milk is pasteurized and homogenized, and the cows that produce the milk are given hormones and antibiotics (which, of course, wind up in the milk). Goldschmidt then links hormonal additives to cancer.

Ultimately, Cohen, Goldschmidt and hundreds of others want Americans (and, in fact, every human being on the planet) to get this message: Say 'No' to Milk!

Sources:

you know who else didn't drink milk?...

Hitler.

Hitler didn't drink milk.

congratulations, you and Hitler have something in common.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Cheers
    Sergio

Sources:

I've read that propaganda before and like all propaganda, I refuse to be figuratively bullied by it.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    In large cities in the Middle Ages, they got most of their hydration from milk and beer/mead because the local water was normally polluted from waste disposal.

They did the same on sailing vessels since water would go bad but the barreled beer had staying power.

Knowledge rocks.