Does milk count as water?

Options

Replies

• doowop713
    doowop713 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    a) You don't need 8 glasses of water a day,

b) You need to consume enough FLUIDS to keep your body hydrated.

c) If your urine is pale yellow you are hydrated.

d) Any kind of liquid will hydrate your body. Coffee, tea, milk, juice, soda, soups, etc. An apple is 85% water.

e) There is no proof that drinking large amounts of water has any effect on weight loss beyond making you feel full.

This. Pee pale and everythings ok.

i hardly ever pee clear and i've survived 45 years with dying even once. the "pee clear" thing is broscience perpetuated by trainers.

I kind of agree. I pee pale if everything I ate and drank doesn't interfere with the color. My multivitamins make my piss glow this high yellow color, so even if I drank a gallon of water a day, I'd still have un-pale pee. But for some folks it can work that way, I suppose.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Oh, and would someone please post the Mayo Clinic caffeine study, please??? The myth that will never die...

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/caffeinated-drinks/AN01661

As long as you don't over consume (more than 500 - 600mg of caffeine) you can also count your sodas, coffees and teas.

Bolded for emphasis since it is possible with certain high caffeine content coffees in large quantities.

Okay so diet coke count. Venti latte with 3 shots....drink extra fluids? or Just don't count as water?

I don't even track my water on MFP. :happy: But if I did, I'd count my morning Folgers. I would not count it if I was two pots in. If someone can rationally determine what is too much caffeine, they can safely track it as part of their hydration beverages. If they can't, they shouldn't.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    It does matter. 8 diet cokes do not equal 8 glasses of water. Ever.

Slippery slope...just sayin.

Well, at that point the caffeine may have the diuretic affect, so you might be technically correct on this one.

Caffeine isn't a diuretic. Alcohol is, and alcoholic beverages shouldn't be counted as water.

Caffeine in large doses is a diuretic, unless I misunderstood the Mayo Clinic study.
  • _chiaroscuro
    _chiaroscuro Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Does a large coca cola count as water?
    No.
    A large farva, however...
  • whierd
    Options

True, since a can of diet coke is 12 oz... 8 cans would be more like 12 glasses of water :)

I don't believe I specified 8 cans of diet coke...did I? :P

This thread has devolved into nonsense. Juice? Instead of water? Please. And regarding lemons, limes, cucumbers in your water. Acidity is good for your gut and your ph. Lemons have a cleansing effect and are good for your liver. They ENHANCE the water - not detract from it. And if they don't enhance it, they certainly are "neutral" in terms of nutrition.

By all means, drink pop, juice, milk instead of water. And get back to me on how much weight you are losing.

9 pounds since May 7th, thanks for asking.

Boom.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Let me ask you this - is milk water? NO. therefore, no you cannot count milk as water.

so... newborn babies who subsist solely on their mother's milk are not getting any water (ever!) and are therefore dehydrated for the first couple of years of their lives???

Good point!
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Can I count a glass of milk as one of my 8 glasses of water for the day?

I have never heard of water coming from a cow - this one is new.
  • brower47
    Options

True, since a can of diet coke is 12 oz... 8 cans would be more like 12 glasses of water :)

This thread has devolved into nonsense. Juice? Instead of water? Please. And regarding lemons, limes, cucumbers in your water. Acidity is good for your gut and your ph. Lemons have a cleansing effect and are good for your liver. They ENHANCE the water - not detract from it. And if they don't enhance it, they certainly are "neutral" in terms of nutrition.

By all means, drink pop, juice, milk instead of water. And get back to me on how much weight you are losing.

Almost 40 lbs in 18 months. You'll find the two aren't correlations.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    Milk counts more toward my protein intake than my water intake. I don't understand why you would even consider it water- it's more a food than "water"

water is water.

I can count towards both, just like my eggs count toward my protein and fat intake for the day.

^^^ QFT

Also, I always wonder when these threads come up, and I believe it was mentioned in the last one:
    What do people think happens when they drink water with their meal? Does it somehow go into a separate "water only" compartment so that it won't mix with anything else?

So, what in the world is the difference between eating a lemon sprinkled with sugar while drinking water or squeezing the lemon in the water (lemonade)?
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options

71 pounds in 12 months.

I'm drinking sugary coffee right now, which, if I tracked my water, I would totally count :devil:
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    5 pages, LOL.
  • sheldonz42
    sheldonz42 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Oh, and would someone please post the Mayo Clinic caffeine study, please??? The myth that will never die...

As long as you don't over consume (more than 500 - 600mg of caffeine) you can also count your sodas, coffees and teas.

Bolded for emphasis since it is possible with certain high caffeine content coffees in large quantities.

Thank you!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options

25 lbs so far. (ticker's a liar TOM got to it) Drinking water, juices, gatorade, protein shakes, decaf, decaf teas, and soda's and logging them all as water. haven't died yet. by the way it's SODA, not "pop" lol. It's not an ice cream popsicle, oh but actually that gives me an idea I will log those as water too. Since they are just frozen juice. Suck on my pop.)
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

I was never a soda drinker but I used to drink only juice all day and I didn't have any weight to lose back then.

I started drinking only water and now I'm fat.
  • moosegt35
    moosegt35 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    can I count bud light as water?

Yes. What else would it count as? It's foamy water.
  • brower47
    Options

25 lbs so far. (ticker's a liar TOM got to it) Drinking water, juices, gatorade, protein shakes, decaf, decaf teas, and soda's and logging them all as water. haven't died yet. by the way it's SODA, not "pop" lol. It's not an ice cream popsicle, oh but actually that gives me an idea I will log those as water too. Since they are just frozen juice. Suck on my pop.)

Oh, now it's on. It's POP.

NOW LET'S GET READY TO RUMMMMBBBBLLLLEEEE!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options

71 pounds in 12 months.

I'm drinking sugary coffee right now, which, if I tracked my water, I would totally count :devil:

Me too coffee(caffeine) with creamer(artificial) , no sugar and some toast (carbs) with fruit jelly (sugar). Yum. And I just logged it as TWO waters because I have giant cups. :devil:
  • whierd
    Options

Thank you!

What on earth are you getting worked up over? :huh:
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Does it mean your hydrated when you get a burning sensation when you pee?
  • brower47
    Options

Thank you!

What on earth are you getting worked up over? :huh:

What on earth are you getting worked up over? :wink: