Does milk count as water?

Options

Replies

• senyosmom
    senyosmom Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    negative. you can count milk as milk and water as water.
  • girlnherdog
    Options
    I wish there was a "like" button on here. Some of these comments are fantastic!

...and NO. Water is water. Drink up!
  • sheldonz42
    sheldonz42 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    To make sure I can count my Crystal Light, I drink the water, then eat the packet. That way the water counts. Otherwise it doesn't... See how much sense that makes?

You can count the water in your milk if you want to count it toward your water. Just log the calories as well.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Let me ask you this - is milk water? NO. therefore, no you cannot count milk as water.
    Water is a component of milk. The water in milk hydrates the body. Does your body contain any pure water with nothing else added to it?
  • angelams1019
    angelams1019 Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    tumblr_lm7dl3ZRzK1qii6tmo1_400.gif
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    It does matter. 8 diet cokes do not equal 8 glasses of water. Ever.

Slippery slope...just sayin.

Well, at that point the caffeine may have the diuretic affect, so you might be technically correct on this one.

Caffeine isn't a diuretic. Alcohol is, and alcoholic beverages shouldn't be counted as water.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Milk counts more toward my protein intake than my water intake. I don't understand why you would even consider it water- it's more a food than "water"

water is water.

I can count towards both, just like my eggs count toward my protein and fat intake for the day.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    My dietician says "NO!" I asked her the same question and she was adamant about this.

But strangely enough CHOCOLATE milk *does* count as water. Go figure.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    a) You don't need 8 glasses of water a day,

b) You need to consume enough FLUIDS to keep your body hydrated.

c) If your urine is pale yellow you are hydrated.

d) Any kind of liquid will hydrate your body. Coffee, tea, milk, juice, soda, soups, etc. An apple is 85% water.

e) There is no proof that drinking large amounts of water has any effect on weight loss beyond making you feel full.

This. Pee pale and everythings ok.

This.

This needs to be repeated. Except that under "d," you can't count alcoholic beverages, since alcohol really does have a diuretic effect.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Let me ask you this - is milk water? NO. therefore, no you cannot count milk as water.

Let me inform you on this - milk is 85 - 90% water. Therefore, yes, you can count milk as part of your water intake.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Facepalm

double facepalm!
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options

so... newborn babies who subsist solely on their mother's milk are not getting any water (ever!) and are therefore dehydrated for the first couple of years of their lives???
  • geekette411
    geekette411 Posts: 154 Member
    Options

Well, at that point the caffeine may have the diuretic affect, so you might be technically correct on this one.

Caffeine isn't a diuretic. Alcohol is, and alcoholic beverages shouldn't be counted as water.
    Dang! There goes my beer theory...
    But I can still count the water in my lungs if I have pneumonia, right?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    can I count bud light as water? What about diet coke?
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I count water, flavored fizzy water, water flavored with lemon juice, and tea. I hut around d 10-12 cups counting this way and I do per pale,sonetimes clear. I don't see why you couldn't count milk if you're so inclined, so long as you consider the calorie count. There is no reason to only count "pure water"
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    a) You don't need 8 glasses of water a day,

b) You need to consume enough FLUIDS to keep your body hydrated.

c) If your urine is pale yellow you are hydrated.

d) Any kind of liquid will hydrate your body. Coffee, tea, milk, juice, soda, soups, etc. An apple is 85% water.

e) There is no proof that drinking large amounts of water has any effect on weight loss beyond making you feel full.

This. Pee pale and everythings ok.

i hardly ever pee clear and i've survived 45 years with dying even once. the "pee clear" thing is broscience perpetuated by trainers.

No it's moscience since it's a mommy idea perpetuated by me to my kids. It seems to be an easy to understand concept that keeps them interested in drinking fluids and checking on their pee's when I'm not around. I'll also note that the pee does turn super dark yellow whenever I don't have enough fluids. I've noticed and my grown kid who I taught this as a kid agrees.

And the only thing I'd change about the above post is that coffee is like anti-water because it actually dehydrates you so that and alcohol are the only ones where now you actually have to consume an extra glass of water per serving of caffeine drink or alcoholic beverage to offset any dehydration those may cause. This I heard from a neurologist cleaning me off caffeine so unsure what the "broscience" term would be for this....neuroscience? Noscience?
  • CubicCutie
    CubicCutie Posts: 53
    Options
    I was told by Docs in chemotherapy that any liquid is fine towards the 2 litre a day target. Whilst milk is actually food with calories it is still also liquid. I was drinking 2 litres of water and then all my milks, teas etc on top .It washed out my electrolytes as demonstrated in the blood tests that day. I was told in no uncertain terms to stop over hydrating and flushing out those essential electrolytes.

Hope this helps
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options

In terms of hydration, diet Coke is fine. I wouldn't want to consume that much artificial sweetener.

Just because it doesn't have calories doesn't make it good for you. Personally... If I don't get 6-10 glasses of water per day I feel like crap... break out... and retain a load of water weight. From a hydration standpoint... I think its best to stick with "natural" sources such as natural fruit juice (not the kind you buy at the store - the kind you squeeze from a fruit).... teas.... and milk. The less artificial ingredients, the better off you'll be.
  • DaveFassett
    DaveFassett Posts: 12 Member
    Options

True, since a can of diet coke is 12 oz... 8 cans would be more like 12 glasses of water :)
  • admegamo
    admegamo Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    To make sure I can count my Crystal Light, I drink the water, then eat the packet. That way the water counts. Otherwise it doesn't... See how much sense that makes?

You can count the water in your milk if you want to count it toward your water. Just log the calories as well.

This