Does milk count as water?

Options

Replies

• ken_hogan
    ken_hogan Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    It does matter. 8 diet cokes do not equal 8 glasses of water. Ever.

Slippery slope...just sayin.

In terms of hydration, diet Coke is fine. I wouldn't want to consume that much artificial sweetener.

Just because it doesn't have calories doesn't make it good for you. Personally... If I don't get 6-10 glasses of water per day I feel like crap... break out... and retain a load of water weight. From a hydration standpoint... I think its best to stick with "natural" sources such as natural fruit juice (not the kind you buy at the store - the kind you squeeze from a fruit).... teas.... and milk. The less artificial ingredients, the better off you'll be.

Plus, the way I took the OP, the question was 'A' glass of milk, not 8 glasses, not a gallon. Just a single glass. Using that as 1 serving, I see no problem.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    can I count bud light as water? What about diet coke?

No. And no.

bud light is alcohol and you'll need to drink an extra glass of water to stay properly hydrated.
    diet coke has caffeine and ditto.

So you have now upped your daily hydration goal to 10.

10 glasses of milk, water, gatorade, hawaiian punch, horchata, or kool aid. Pick your poison.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I was told by Docs in chemotherapy that any liquid is fine towards the 2 litre a day target. Whilst milk is actually food with calories it is still also liquid. I was drinking 2 litres of water and then all my milks, teas etc on top .It washed out my electrolytes as demonstrated in the blood tests that day. I was told in no uncertain terms to stop over hydrating and flushing out those essential electrolytes.

Hope this helps

Best wishes with chemo and recovery!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    Let me ask you this - is milk water? NO. therefore, no you cannot count milk as water.

so... newborn babies who subsist solely on their mother's milk are not getting any water (ever!) and are therefore dehydrated for the first couple of years of their lives???

Yay for boobies!!! Yes you are so right about this. That mama though better make for dam sure she is getting enough water or other qualifying fluids. (uncaffeinated, unalcoholey ones).
  • kirstyfairhead
    kirstyfairhead Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    a) You don't need 8 glasses of water a day,

b) You need to consume enough FLUIDS to keep your body hydrated.

c) If your urine is pale yellow you are hydrated.

d) Any kind of liquid will hydrate your body. Coffee, tea, milk, juice, soda, soups, etc. An apple is 85% water.

e) There is no proof that drinking large amounts of water has any effect on weight loss beyond making you feel full.

This. Pee pale and everythings ok.

i hardly ever pee clear and i've survived 45 years with dying even once. the "pee clear" thing is broscience perpetuated by trainers.

Because clearly being de-hydrated will make you die! and if you don't then all is good! :huh:

Go see a doctor and ask if dark coloured pee is often (not always) a sign of de-hydration!!
  • ohnstadk
    ohnstadk Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I drink hot tea,
    Start off with a single serving bag and just continuously fill it throughout the day. I think tea can count as water unless you're having sweet tea with a lb of sugar in it or something equivalent.

If it has caffeine, it doesn't count towards water at all - the caffeine in the tea (if it is caffeinated obviously) will work against your efforts and dehydrate your body.
  • ken_hogan
    Options

d) Any kind of liquid will hydrate your body. Coffee, tea, milk, juice, soda, soups, etc. An apple is 85% water.

e) There is no proof that drinking large amounts of water has any effect on weight loss beyond making you feel full.

i hardly ever pee clear and i've survived 45 years with dying even once. the "pee clear" thing is broscience perpetuated by trainers.

Because clearly being de-hydrated will make you die! and if you don't then all is good! :huh:

Go see a doctor and ask if dark coloured pee is often (not always) a sign of de-hydration!!

This. I kinda figured on my own, without a trainer telling me, that my clearish pee was a good sign when I was drinking quite a bit of water a day.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options

No it's moscience since it's a mommy idea perpetuated by me to my kids. It seems to be an easy to understand concept that keeps them interested in drinking fluids and checking on their pee's when I'm not around. I'll also note that the pee does turn super dark yellow whenever I don't have enough fluids. I've noticed and my grown kid who I taught this as a kid agrees.

And the only thing I'd change about the above post is that coffee is like anti-water because it actually dehydrates you so that and alcohol are the only ones where now you actually have to consume an extra glass of water per serving of caffeine drink or alcoholic beverage to offset any dehydration those may cause. This I heard from a neurologist cleaning me off caffeine so unsure what the "broscience" term would be for this....neuroscience? Noscience?

personal trainers almost universally tell their clients that they MUST drink enough water every day until they see clear pee. that's broscience and overkill. when your pee is clear, it's actually a sign that you are over-hydrated. of course that won't hurt you, your body just clears the extra water out of your body as quickly as it can.
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    My dietician advises me that all liquids count as 'water'..your body will use them as such. She ALSO states that there is a lot of misinformation out there, such as the 'soda doesn't count'...caffeine thing. There isn't enough caffeine in soda/coffee to negate the effects of the water, but that myth persists.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, if you have doubts, ask a dietitian :)
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    I was told by Docs in chemotherapy that any liquid is fine towards the 2 litre a day target. Whilst milk is actually food with calories it is still also liquid. I was drinking 2 litres of water and then all my milks, teas etc on top .It washed out my electrolytes as demonstrated in the blood tests that day. I was told in no uncertain terms to stop over hydrating and flushing out those essential electrolytes.

Hope this helps

Dr. AND test verified. Also with examples of what she drank. and with warnings of what can happen if you overdo it or don't consider all your hydration sources. #threadwinner. :flowerforyou:
  • sheldonz42
    sheldonz42 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Oh, and would someone please post the Mayo Clinic caffeine study, please??? The myth that will never die...
  • ken_hogan
    Options
    My dietician advises me that all liquids count as 'water'..your body will use them as such. She ALSO states that there is a lot of misinformation out there, such as the 'soda doesn't count'...caffeine thing. There isn't enough caffeine in soda/coffee to negate the effects of the water, but that myth persists.

I thought I hadheard that the whole caffeine thing being a dieuretic (spelling??) was a misnomer...like you had said there isn't enough caffeine in them...
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options

who said anything about dark colored pee?

way to create a false strawman argument to debunk.

i said that drinking until you see clear pee was broscience.

however, thanks for playing. we have a lovely parting gift for you. :flowerforyou:
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Anyone with an elementary to middle school education knows that milk, coffee, tea, soda, etc are extremely high in water content.

There is no argument here to be had.
  • erikkmcvay
    erikkmcvay Posts: 238 Member
    Options

Good post however, on a side note there are things in Soda that are hard on the body and it should not be used as a method of hydration -- actually, it should be avoided by anyone trying to lose weight -- and diet is not better.
  • kw85296
    kw85296 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I think it strange that proponents of "pure" water say it is ok to flavor water with fruit such as lemon , limes, etc. and some advocate ice tea, but yet coffee and other liquids don't count. I get coffee has caffeine , but so does ice tea and water flavored with fruit also has citrus or some other additive. I think hydration is the main thing, if you can do it with just water, do so, it is the healthiest means. If not, just be sure to get plenty of fluids, preferably without calories.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options

No it's moscience since it's a mommy idea perpetuated by me to my kids. It seems to be an easy to understand concept that keeps them interested in drinking fluids and checking on their pee's when I'm not around. I'll also note that the pee does turn super dark yellow whenever I don't have enough fluids. I've noticed and my grown kid who I taught this as a kid agrees.

And the only thing I'd change about the above post is that coffee is like anti-water because it actually dehydrates you so that and alcohol are the only ones where now you actually have to consume an extra glass of water per serving of caffeine drink or alcoholic beverage to offset any dehydration those may cause. This I heard from a neurologist cleaning me off caffeine so unsure what the "broscience" term would be for this....neuroscience? Noscience?

personal trainers almost universally tell their clients that they MUST drink enough water every day until they see clear pee. that's broscience and overkill. when your pee is clear, it's actually a sign that you are over-hydrated. of course that won't hurt you, your body just clears the extra water out of your body as quickly as it can.

OH! Now I see. Well, I didn't have trainers back in the day so I didn't hear it from them but I heard it from someplace back in the day and it appears from your reply that it has been extremified since I heard it. I was never under the impression the pee should be "clear" like water but just that it should be lighter yellow and that dark, dark yellow pee pee was a sign of heading toward dehydration and a cue that drinking more would be good. I'm glad you clarifiied that because NO I would not advise anyone to drink until pee pee is CLEAR just see thru yellow. Not clear like water. Anyways I think a person might naturally stop from just sheer bloating or potty visits before that point but who knows I remember that story of the lady who died from too much water from some competition or something.
  • gonnamakeanewaccount
    gonnamakeanewaccount Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Obvious troll is obvious.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Oh, and would someone please post the Mayo Clinic caffeine study, please??? The myth that will never die...

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/caffeinated-drinks/AN01661

As long as you don't over consume (more than 500 - 600mg of caffeine) you can also count your sodas, coffees and teas.

Bolded for emphasis since it is possible with certain high caffeine content coffees in large quantities.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options

Good post however, on a side note there are things in Soda that are hard on the body and it should not be used as a method of hydration -- actually, it should be avoided by anyone trying to lose weight -- and diet is not better.

But then why do I feel like such crap if I have too much caffeine and why does water or another non caffeinated liquid make me feel better?

Same goes for alcohol, what about hangovers?