Does milk count as water?

Options

Replies

• JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Yes of course you can. Food counts for about 20% of our needs as well.
    ^This
    a) You don't need 8 glasses of water a day,

b) You need to consume enough FLUIDS to keep your body hydrated.

c) If your urine is pale yellow you are hydrated.

d) Any kind of liquid will hydrate your body. Coffee, tea, milk, juice, soda, soups, etc. An apple is 85% water.

e) There is no proof that drinking large amounts of water has any effect on weight loss beyond making you feel full.
    ^ and all of this.
    Water = H2O
    And milk contains H2O, so it will hydrate you just fine.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Do cookies count as water? I hope so. Then cookies and milk would count as TWO waters.

Depends on the cookie. If you can find a cookie that is 10% water, then all you need to do is eat 80 oz and BOOM cuppawata.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options

d) Any kind of liquid will hydrate your body. Coffee, tea, milk, juice, soda, soups, etc. An apple is 85% water.

e) There is no proof that drinking large amounts of water has any effect on weight loss beyond making you feel full.

This. Pee pale and everythings ok.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Can I count a glass of milk as one of my 8 glasses of water for the day?
    Yes. The purpose of counting "water" is to ensure hydration. A glass of milk (or juice or coffee or tea, etc.) will hydrate you as well as a glass of water.

Some people choose to only count actual water from the tap or a faucet, but your body counts it all.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Of course you can count milk. It's hydrating. You need to log it as a food too. Also, the idea that caffeinated beverages are dehydrating is a myth. You can count coffee, tea, and sodas as water too. The only caveat is that you really need to brush your teeth after milk, coffee, tea, or soda.
  • jayrudq
    jayrudq Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    It does matter. 8 diet cokes do not equal 8 glasses of water. Ever.

Slippery slope...just sayin.
  • lavieboheme1229
    lavieboheme1229 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Do cookies count as water? I hope so. Then cookies and milk would count as TWO waters.

HA!
  • geekette411
    geekette411 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Say! There's water in beer! Just drink 8 beers and that should do it!
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options

i hardly ever pee clear and i've survived 45 years with dying even once. the "pee clear" thing is broscience perpetuated by trainers.
  • erikkmcvay
    erikkmcvay Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    No! Also if you drink a glass of water and then have an espresso that doesn't count either. It's coffee.

Milk is 85% - 90% water, so yes.

Water is water HOWEVER Hydration is not only water.

So are you asking because you feel the need to drink plain water for weightloss or health reasons? Or are you asking for hydration reasons?

The idea that someone needs 8 glasses of 'water' per day was really not about 'water' but rather hydration and all things a person drinks CAN be counted. However, 8 oz of coffee does not have the same hydration benefits as 8 oz of water so be mindful of that.

I for one drink 12oz of water (purified) first think in the morning, then 8oz of coffee, 24oz of ACT (Natural Energy drink mixed with water) followed by either 24oz of water or slightly flavored water and usually followed by 24oz of more water and/or flavored water. I am well hydrated.

MFP gives you a way to tack water but I think it's really more about hydration.
  • lithezebra
    Options

In terms of hydration, diet Coke is fine. I wouldn't want to consume that much artificial sweetener.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    My dietician says "NO!" I asked her the same question and she was adamant about this.

your dietitian is an idiot. anything with H2O molecules in it counts as water as far as your body is concerned. it's just very difficult to know how much water is in celery, or cookies, or yogurt, or whatever... so some people advocate only counting glasses of water. this will make you undercount your true water intake on the day though.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options

Well, at that point the caffeine may have the diuretic affect, so you might be technically correct on this one.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    Sorry only water counts as water :)
  • jamieson4u
    jamieson4u Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    no Milk is high in fat as well as sugar. I was told in class I took that coffee, tea, is counted as water as long as it is black, and decaf is better. You should still drink water and if not decaf then try and match cup of water for cup of tea or coffee. As they are diuretics and over time will dehydrate you without drinking water. If you are mixing something with the water you have to count or look at Cal's on stuff in it and add to your intake for the day. Remember what ever goes in your mouth needs to be recorded (everything) to be successful. Good luck hope this helps to added to other information here.
  • lithezebra
    Options
    My dietician says "NO!" I asked her the same question and she was adamant about this.

your dietitian is an idiot. anything with H2O molecules in it counts as water as far as your body is concerned.

She probably went to school back in the days when the unproven idea that people need 8 glasses of water a day was dogma. Lots and lots of people never change their minds again after graduation.
  • ken_hogan
    ken_hogan Posts: 854 Member
    Options

This.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Milk counts more toward my protein intake than my water intake. I don't understand why you would even consider it water- it's more a food than "water"

water is water.
  • kellijauch
    kellijauch Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Let me ask you this - is milk water? NO. therefore, no you cannot count milk as water.