Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Breakfast yes or no?

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    It's all preference. As for me, I start my day with about 450 cals...

cfetwjujmazk.jpeg
  • nichalsont
    nichalsont Posts: 421 Member
    Eating breakfast at breakfast time made me hungrier at lunch. Now I eat breakfast when I am hungry, around 10:00, and eat lunch and dinner later. It is really helping me stick to my calorie limit. A nice bonus is I don't have the evening and late night binges anymore.
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    I love breakfast! I get hangry, so it also works for me. I do think that it is personal preference, though. But, it's my favorite meal of the day - so much so, that sometimes I have it for dinner, too!
  • jamkelly10
    jamkelly10 Posts: 5 Member
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    jamkelly10 wrote: »
    If you skip breakfast your body craves to make up for these missed calories throughout the day, due to meeting energy demands of daily tasks I.e working, walking, cleaning and the simplest way to make up for skipping breakfast is snacking on junk food/higher calorie meals which results in weight gain.
    If your body 'gets used' to missing breakfast, you still won't have the optimal concentration/performance you would have if you were to eat breakfast.

Have you got any sources to back up your claims?
    I do yes see the photo for a couple.3yd3ryhamw2t.jpg

• jamkelly10
    jamkelly10 Posts: 5 Member
    Alluminati wrote: »
    If you skip breakfast your body craves to make up for these missed calories throughout the day, due to meeting energy demands of daily tasks I.e working, walking, cleaning and the simplest way to make up for skipping breakfast is snacking on junk food/higher calorie meals which results in weight gain.
    If your body 'gets used' to missing breakfast, you still won't have the optimal concentration/performance you would have if you were to eat breakfast.
    Really?
    I have been skipping breakfast for 2 years and have lost 50+ pounds and I lift/cardio in a fasted state. I guess I'm doing it wrong.

That's great, I'm just saying research shows people who skip breakfast tend to actually put on weight. I don't know what you eat on a daily basis, you might have more self discipline than the majority.
    Have you ever thought of having breakfast and just reduce the rest of your daily intakes?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,386 MFP Moderator
    3bambi3 wrote: »

Have you got any sources to back up your claims?
    I do yes see the photo for a couple.3yd3ryhamw2t.jpg

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4042085/

"Human eating behaviors are often non-homeostatic, and thus unlike homeostatic behaviors, they are not exclusively reliant on rigid brain mechanisms, but heavily depend on psychological, sociocultural, and educational factors as well. A clear understanding of the mechanisms and consequences of various eating behaviors is necessary for giving comprehensive educational guidance. However, recommendations regarding breakfast (BF) eating behavior are perhaps the most peremptory yet scientifically (especially metabolically) groundless health guidelines, and thus the widely accepted notion of BF as the most important meal of the day has been called into question. In a recent meta-analysis, Brown et al. (1), not arguing with the established link between obesity and BF behavior, concluded: “The current body of scientific knowledge indicates that the proposed effect of breakfast on obesity is only presumed true” (p. 1298). The authors state that numerous articles demonstrating negative metabolic effects of skipping BF have yet to establish a causal relationship due to a lack of probative value and that the major obstacle in establishing causality is neglecting the possible confounding factors.

In this opinion paper, we suggest that BF is just another meal, rather than the “most important meal of the day” as is commonly believed and that prolongation of overnight fast, which depends not only on timing of BF but also on timing of the last meal of the day, can be beneficial."

In the end, breakfast is ONLY important if not eating it causes the person to over eat else where in the day. If you want to validate that, research interim fasting.
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Hornsby wrote: »
    It's all preference. As for me, I start my day with about 450 cals...

cfetwjujmazk.jpeg

Nope. Eggs must not make physical contact with strawberries. That violates the fourth law of thermodynamics.
  • G33K_G1RL
    G33K_G1RL Posts: 283 Member
    I am one of those people who will feel hangry without breakfast in the first hour after waking. So I have breakfast.

Interesting thing though. I used to have a carb based breakfast (toast and some topping, jam or nutella) and what made a huge difference for my weight loss was switching to a protein based breakfast (eggs, bacon, kefir). It has a little more calories but I don't get very hungry for the rest of the day, so less calories overall is easier to achieve.
  • pie_eyes
    pie_eyes Posts: 12,965 Member
    I skip breakfast and when I do have breakfast I end up skipping lunch
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited February 2016
    I don't eat breakfast and find that if I do I get hungrier for lunch earlier and eat more than if I don't eat breakfast

I am definitely this..

If I started eating a 7:00 a.m. it would not stop. I delay my eating until 11:00 or 12:00 and stop at 5:00 or 5:30 unless dessert is in order a bit later...
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    edited February 2016
    I say YES to first breakfast and YES to second breakfast.

^ Great minds....
  • Wysewoman53
    Wysewoman53 Posts: 582 Member
    bruhaha007 wrote: »
    I agree with those members that state breakfast is important. It doesn't have to be a large breakfast but at least get a good quality meal replacement shake or nutrition bar with sufficient protein.

I started eating breakfast because my doctor recommended it and now I eat it every single morning. It makes a big difference in how I regulate the rest of my meals for the day. It's never anything 'heavy' but I do find I have more energy and can concentrate better during the morning hours
  • arnabarna
    arnabarna Posts: 4 Member
    I never used to eat breakfast. Lately though I have been making sure I eat breakfast, especially on a day have to work. I've found that if I don't have breakfast before work then I feel light headed and have issues concentrating properly. I have a very physical job and it really shows when I skip breakfast.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    I usually don't eat breakfast, but sometimes I do. I like to only eat when I'm hungry and usually don't get hungry until afternoon.

I don't give much thought as to what others do or should do.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited February 2016
    If you skip breakfast your body craves to make up for these missed calories throughout the day

Yours might -- not everyone's does.

For those insisting that it is important for everyone to eat breakfast, care to cite some evidence for that position? Not just a photo of some citations, but a discussion of the argument/evidence? Or perhaps address the points made on the other side?

Personally I love breakfast and almost always eat it (mainly because I get up early and it's part of my routine), but I don't imagine that because it works for me it must work for everyone else.
  • missblondi2u
    missblondi2u Posts: 851 Member
    I'm on the no-breakfast crew as well. I just have coffee with sugar in the mornings, and I eat lunch around 12:30. I save what would have been my breakfast calories for evening snacking, which would be much harder for me to give up than breakfast. Maybe the extra calories at night help me not feel hungry in the morning?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member

My body craves calories all the time. It really enjoys food. That's why I limit feeding the monster to times when it's hungry. I don't eat much junk food and rarely snack. When I do snack it's usually nuts.

I don't really care about optimal concentration/performance in the mornings as I'm usually at work. :p
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Alluminati wrote: »
    Really?
    I have been skipping breakfast for 2 years and have lost 50+ pounds and I lift/cardio in a fasted state. I guess I'm doing it wrong.

That's great, I'm just saying research shows people who skip breakfast tend to actually put on weight. I don't know what you eat on a daily basis, you might have more self discipline than the majority.
    Have you ever thought of having breakfast and just reduce the rest of your daily intakes?

Why would I do that?
  • drachfit
    drachfit Posts: 217 Member
    I eat dinner late at night, so i have no desire for breakfast in the AM. If I work out in the AM, I almost always do it fasted, and I will have a light breakfast afterwords containing protein+carbs.

lost plenty of weight and gained plenty of muscle skipping breakfast almost the entire time. now i work out in the mornings and find that I need breakfast afterwards or I feel sluggish in the afternoons.

it is all personal preference. there are studies showing it affects **statistical likelihood** of concentration or weight gain, but those studies do not prove a causative link. they do not address an individual whose meal patterns have compensated for the skipped breakfast.

• Nuke_64
    Nuke_64 Posts: 406 Member
    I had heard of a study saying that being a morning person or a night owl was linked to genetics. I was wonder if that applied to an appetite for breakfast as well. This is what I found after a brief google search.

"What determines our desire to wake with the sun or, conversely, burn the midnight oil, is influenced by the same system that regulates the cycling of many bodily functions. Our internal biological clock resides in the brain and regulates the timing of functions such as appetite, hormone release, and metabolism. Of all the cycles controlled by the circadian system, perhaps the most obvious is the sleep-wake cycle—when we go to sleep and when we wake up."

http://healthysleep.med.harvard.edu/healthy/science/variations/individual-variation-genetics

I'm not a morning person and I also do not care for breakfast. Is that correlation true for other folks?
This discussion has been closed.