Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Breakfast yes or no?

Options

Replies

• bruhaha007
    bruhaha007 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Yes for me even though I am rarely hungry for breakfast. I don't think it is necessary for losing weight though.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    I have a banana and coffee at 4am and out the door I go.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    adtwin33 wrote: »
    Eat most of ur calories in the morning then taper off

Are you talking about that "Eat breakfast like a king and dinner like a pauper" thing?

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    adtwin33 wrote: »
    Eat most of ur calories in the morning then taper off

This would literally cause me to starve.
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    I base eating breakfast on my hunger level. Most days I'm not hungry enough to eat until between 10-11 AM, which is several hours after rising.

Depending on what I ate I could end up being hungry again sooner than I want so I found the several breakfast meals that keep my going for at least 4 hours and stick with one of them for my first meal.
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    I say YES to first breakfast and YES to second breakfast.

Yes to elevensies as well?
  • bigcountry89je48
    Options
    94ditg wrote: »
    I think that breakfast helps the intake of nutrients. The fact that at the begginig of the day you are already on your way to achieving your set calories/nutrients etc. Also since it's the first meal of the day, it is (in my case) kind of a set time, unlike lunch or dinner that vary (like when you have to push lunch/dinner because of work/school/special events).
    Eating breakfast *Kickstarts your metabolism* (speeds up) making you feel hungry sooner than if you skipped (depending if you are substituting with coffee etc)
    Would you get in your car to drive a mile or few with NO GAS? (no calories) I wouldnt.
    You need fuel to function, yes you will go into your body's store reserves for energy from fat but with skipping breakfast you aren't getting aminos (protein) to maintain and prevent (catabolism)muscle breakdown.

We work hard for muscle..Why would you want to lose it?

My .02 cents

I will have to agree here without breakfast your body has no calories "fuel" to burn off. I eat 2 boiled eggs and have a protein shake every morning plus my daily vitamins. If I don't eat breakfast I feel like crap all day and feel like I havnt accomplished anything. You have to take in calories to burn off anyways just low portions at a time.
  • bclarke1990
    bclarke1990 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Eating breakfast *Kickstarts your metabolism* (speeds up) making you feel hungry sooner than if you skipped (depending if you are substituting with coffee etc)
    Would you get in your car to drive a mile or few with NO GAS? (no calories) I wouldnt.
    You need fuel to function, yes you will go into your body's store reserves for energy from fat but with skipping breakfast you aren't getting aminos (protein) to maintain and prevent (catabolism)muscle breakdown.

My .02 cents

Really bad analogy. If you put gas in your car and then drive the next day without refilling your car, your still going to have fuel left-over. Your cells don't exclusively burn recently digested glucose for energy.

That said, I like to eat smaller meals throughout the day. I used to do IF and convince myself that I needed a mountain of food to be full, but then I started eating healthier and keeping busy and I found that I wasn't as hungry as I previously thought.
  • vegmebuff
    vegmebuff Posts: 31,389 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    'Eat like a King, lunch like a prince and a pauper at dinner.'
    Below is a small study (50 overweight women) that suggests this-amount eaten and when-

http://boston.com/lifestyle/health/blog/nutrition/2013/08/to_lose_weight_eat_breakfast_l.html
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    I think that breakfast helps the intake of nutrients. The fact that at the begginig of the day you are already on your way to achieving your set calories/nutrients etc. Also since it's the first meal of the day, it is (in my case) kind of a set time, unlike lunch or dinner that vary (like when you have to push lunch/dinner because of work/school/special events).

My .02 cents

I will have to agree here without breakfast your body has no calories "fuel" to burn off. I eat 2 boiled eggs and have a protein shake every morning plus my daily vitamins. If I don't eat breakfast I feel like crap all day and feel like I havnt accomplished anything. You have to take in calories to burn off anyways just low portions at a time.
    So what does your body have fat cells for? What have mine been storing for so long, crafty little things. I thought they held calories as triglycerides this whole time.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Let's provide one more example of why breakfast is personal choice.

Two people body eat dinner at 7pm. Both go to bed at 11pm. One sleeps for 8 hours and the other for 12 hours. What is going to happen if they both start their meals at noon the next day?
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    The guy who woke up at 8 hours is obviously gonna die from malnutrition....
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    The guy who woke up at 8 hours is obviously gonna die from malnutrition....

582337.gif
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »

My .02 cents

So what does your body have fat cells for? What have mine been storing for so long, crafty little things. I thought they held calories as triglycerides this whole time.

Not to mention the glycogen stored in your muscles and the glucose circulating in your bloodstream.

And I guess maybe some people have never heard of Intermittent Fasting and/or fasted cardio.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

My .02 cents

You presumably ate the day before, so I wouldn't assume you wake up glycogen depleted. You also probably have some excess fat to burn. Humans can easily survive for a period of time without eating, it's not hard or bad for us to skip a meal. (I eat breakfast myself because I enjoy it, but it's not necessary -- it's really just a traditional pattern of eating in many places.)
  • bmaw01
    bmaw01 Posts: 40 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    No breakfast.

I wanna spike the human growth hormone (HGH) and testosterone in my body.

I love going to gym at 6am with no food in my system.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    How do you think science gets supported.anyways you classified it as a debate now debate Hun
    psulemon wrote: »
    Neither
    Btw your post is going to be problematic on here as it is extremely controversial. So I will stick to my opinion based on my own ideas and experiences. It doesn't matter when you eat only what and how much. If you ain't hungry don't eat brekky, it will help boost your metabolism for a small period then after that it will slow it so hence the controversy on here. Both theories are correct. A one day fast us fine,skipping briskly is fine don't get too obsessed .

This is the debate section. The purpose is to discuss and debate those part of nutrition. You can have an opinion, but if its not supported by science it will be challenged, especially in this section.

The controversy here is that many people get information from blogs, newspapers and netflix "documentaries" as opposed to scientific articles.

When people talk about an increase in metabolism, they are talking about your bodies response to upregulate your metabolism to digest calories; since your body burns calories to digest foods (thermal effect of food), people feel that eating multiple times a day, they will enable this process to continuously burn calories. After its done digesting food, your metabolism will deregulate and go back to running your system. But the thing is, the TEF will be the same regardless of meal and is more dependent on total calorie intake (btw, this is a 24 hour continuous process). This is why, meal frequency does not matter.

And another issue is, people have put those labels (breakfast, lunch and dinner) and have delineated specific periods of time for those. So technically, we all eat breakfast (since it means that you break the fast). People just so happen to suggest whether we do it during the periods established for breakfast, lunch or dinner.

By scientific study.

And I am sorry, but what am I supposed to be debating with you. I already provided a lengthy response and you didn't have any other questions.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    How do you think science gets supported.anyways you classified it as a debate now debate Hun
    psulemon wrote: »
    Neither
    Btw your post is going to be problematic on here as it is extremely controversial. So I will stick to my opinion based on my own ideas and experiences. It doesn't matter when you eat only what and how much. If you ain't hungry don't eat brekky, it will help boost your metabolism for a small period then after that it will slow it so hence the controversy on here. Both theories are correct. A one day fast us fine,skipping briskly is fine don't get too obsessed .

This is the debate section. The purpose is to discuss and debate those part of nutrition. You can have an opinion, but if its not supported by science it will be challenged, especially in this section.

The controversy here is that many people get information from blogs, newspapers and netflix "documentaries" as opposed to scientific articles.

When people talk about an increase in metabolism, they are talking about your bodies response to upregulate your metabolism to digest calories; since your body burns calories to digest foods (thermal effect of food), people feel that eating multiple times a day, they will enable this process to continuously burn calories. After its done digesting food, your metabolism will deregulate and go back to running your system. But the thing is, the TEF will be the same regardless of meal and is more dependent on total calorie intake (btw, this is a 24 hour continuous process). This is why, meal frequency does not matter.

And another issue is, people have put those labels (breakfast, lunch and dinner) and have delineated specific periods of time for those. So technically, we all eat breakfast (since it means that you break the fast). People just so happen to suggest whether we do it during the periods established for breakfast, lunch or dinner.

Despite what some post-modernists want to espouse, science and the rational empirical process is not simply one form of opinion. At some point the fact that it produces efficacious results tends to act rather eloquently as an argument for it over other methods for interpreting the reality.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    How do artists get funded? The popular ones by following trends, and the unpopular ones by committee. Shall we tar and feather the artists for stooping to filthy lucre? They have to feed their families somehow.

I respect the conclusion of someone who first posits a question, designs an experiment to find an answer, and obtains a conclusive result. Bonus points if the conclusion is published, retested, and validated.

Over, say, a charming vlogger.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I don't want to live in a world without breakfast...
This discussion has been closed.