Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Breakfast yes or no?

Options

Replies

• giantrobot_powerlifting
    Options
    How could anyone say no to breakfast pizza?

1kfpt0by63uy.jpg
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options

lemurcat12 wrote: »
    If you ain't hungry don't eat brekky, it will help boost your metabolism for a small period then after that it will slow it so hence the controversy on here.

Here's the claim, made in this thread.

Since silliness about metabolism is often part of arguments that people must eat breakfast, it's on topic in this thread and a reasonable thing to debate.

I think I made it pretty clear just how controversial it is. If you look into how the body is affected in first lets say day of fasting(look up the IF thread) then you will see the correlation between metabolism increase very surprising and slight. After 3 days IF or just plain fasting your metabolism will slow. So essentially it can be if monitored carefully not as scary or woo as some people would have you believe. Like I said statistics show the pendulum swings both says. One one hand you can say it slows your metabolism down and on the other hand you could say it can boost it. Both are right, the trick is in the timing and also who you discuss it with. Of course IF does not negate the action of calories in -calories out rule, that is still the pinnacle.

Lol. Schrödinger's breakfast
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    I often skip meals and never have any problem making up the calories that I missed, am I anomaly?

I eat when I'm hungry. If I miss dinner, like yesterday, I don't have time to make those calories up, but skipping lunch or breakfast, I just eat more at my other meals.

This is especially true in the past when I've done intermittent fasting, when I don't eat after 6pm and then don't eat until 12pm the next day. I'll restrict my eating to just those 6hrs and have no problem getting in my calories, it's a matter of eating nutrient dense foods at the meals that you do consume.

So, to answer the original question, I don't think that for me personally that skipping breakfast is a detriment, but will say that every one is different, so as long as it works for you and you continue to lose weight/gain weight/maintain weight/what-ever your goal is, then it is fine.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Yeah, one of the underlying medical issues is diabetes in it's various iterations, including insulin resistance, gestational, and type 2. In all my diabetic classes the importance of eating breakfast on waking, at the same time every day, was emphasized. I think part of the reason for this insistence is if we are to routinely test our "fasting" blood sugar (first thing in the morning) and then two hours after every meal, and that's a lot easier if we eat on a routine.

I do know the days I had to fast through breakfast (early morning fasting blood sugar test, A1C) I was one shaky, grumpy lady. Ironic that a test to confirm the disease is guaranteed to make you miserable....if you have it.
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    I eat breakfast most days. I take medications in the morning that I cannot take on an empty stomach. Also? I like eggs and feel that if I start my morning off with breakfast and logging - I have begun my day "in control". That being said, if I know that we're going out to eat that night - I will choose a much smaller "snack" to have with my medicine so that I can reserve as many calories as possible for later in the day. I've also found that if I really listen to my body - after eating out at night, I find that the next morning - I'm really still not ready for a regular breakfast. I imagine it's how our bodies were intended to work (eat when you're hungry or have access to food - but don't overeat) - before we became so regimented about eating at mealtimes!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I usually eat something around 9am or so, but just a protein shake. Once I start eating, I get hungry every few hours (and with reactive hypoglycemia, I get shaky when I wait too long between meals), so I try to delay eating for a while.

And I'm up and at the gym by 5am, so 9am is actually pretty far into my day.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    I despise the catchphrase to "eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dinner like a pauper." Based on what? On someone feeling very clever who thought it up, that's what. Nothing more. Harrummph!
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    If I work out in the morning (which I do at 6am before I have eaten breakfast), then I eat breakfast when I get to work at 9am. If I do not work out in the morning and wake up hungry (which is rare), then I eat breakfast. If I do not work out in the morning and do not wake up hungry, then I wait until I feel hungry to eat, which is usually around lunch time.

Most people will tell you to eat breakfast because if you are hungry and you do not, then you might eat more than you normally would at lunch time. Or you'll snack on unhealthy items. Incidentally, as a teenager I never ate breakfast, mostly because I wasn't hungry. Did I eat more at lunch? Nope. Was I overweight? Yup. But that's because I was an unhappy kid and used to come home from school and eat my feelings in the form of chocolate chip cookies. Of course, correlation does not equal causation and I was not overweight because I skipped breakfast.

My point: If you are hungry, eat breakfast. If you are not hungry, don't eat breakfast. Eat when you are hungry.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Just plain fasting can be seen as scary yes.

I've yet to meet anyone who thinks a one day fast (let alone skipping breakfast -- the topic of this thread) is scary. It's not good for some people or may make them feel bad, so they shouldn't do it.
    Intermittent fasting does not equal fasting for 3 days.

Isn't that what I said?
    A day or thereabouts of (IF or just straight Fasting)will see the opposite so hence it is seen as controversial.

I'd like some support for this claim.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    vivmom2014 wrote: »
    I despise the catchphrase to "eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dinner like a pauper." Based on what? On someone feeling very clever who thought it up, that's what. Nothing more. Harrummph!

+1
  • jgnatca
    Options
    vivmom2014 wrote: »

How about "feed a cold, starve a fever", or "cross your eyes and they will get stuck that way"? My mother had dozens of these catchphrases which she picked up I am sure, from her cranky Scottish grandmother.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Some chinese phrases,

"Eat more vegetables, less meat." 多吃蔬菜,少吃肉.(Duō chī shūcài, shǎo chī ròu.)

Qi fen bao (七分飽), is an age-old, oft-repeated Chinese dietary adage: eat only until you are 'seven parts full' (70 percent full).

http://www.eatingchina.com/articles/quotes.htm
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    What ever happened to eat when you feel hungry? I mean truly hungry for those who have learned to listen to their bodies. For me personally, I love breakfast and I eat it every day within a few hours of when I get up. I am ravenously hungry in the morning! I have also skipped breakfast and it didn't make any difference in my weight loss. I do find that if I skip breakfast I am more inclined to gravitate toward more carby things for lunch and for the rest of the day. My daily breakfast consists of egg whites, meat and tons of veggies! Once in a while I go with a yogurt with some fruit and nuts and a couple of hard boiled eggs, maybe some turkey bacon. I also find that when I have a good breakfast the rest of my snacks and meals are smaller throughout the day and I get full faster. My workouts are usually at different times of the morning, afternoon and/or evening so when I have a morning workout I usually do a fasted workout then eat breakfast right after. I think it just comes down to personal preference, level of hunger and activities for the day. Eat to perform.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Some chinese phrases,

Qi fen bao (七分飽), is an age-old, oft-repeated Chinese dietary adage: eat only until you are 'seven parts full' (70 percent full).

This is from the Okinowa diet. Eat mostly vegetables, nuts, seeds, legumes, beans, grains, limited fruit and sweets only once in a while, like a special occasion. They recommend protein from beans, legumes and fish and not so much animal protein. They are also very active e.g., working outside daily, moving around quite a bit, etc. And eat until you feel 80% full. By the time your brain registers the fact that you've eaten you should be 100% full. All of these practices work, I've been doing it for a while. But you have to remember that it comes down to different cultures as well. I move around a lot during the day and I get a lot of exercise because I can, but a lot of people have desk jobs where they get hardly any movement at all. I run a lot and always need to replenish my sugars/carbs after a long hard run. I lift heavy weights and need good old fashioned animal protein after. I also avoid most grains, I'll have them maybe once or twice a week because overall my body just feels better when I don't consume a lot of grains... but that's just me.

On another note, my sister never eats breakfast, she basically lives on carbs and sweets, she also eats/snacks on very small healthy foods through the day. A handful of fruit here, a handful of nuts there, a hard boiled egg, some jerky, some crackers, etc. She is in her 50's and has always been thin and in shape and very healthy! Oddly enough, she recently developed liver disease despite being healthy and getting regular exercise daily. They can't explain why but we almost lost her over it. She is around 100 LBs and can't eat salt at all, can't drink, can't take any drugs. They told her she needed to be on a high protein and high carb diet, but she has to also watch her sugar.

Everyone is different.
    Life is crazy :)
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options

I do know the days I had to fast through breakfast (early morning fasting blood sugar test, A1C) I was one shaky, grumpy lady. Ironic that a test to confirm the disease is guaranteed to make you miserable....if you have it.

I had to have a follow-up HbA1c test this week, and was delighted to be told that they don't do them under fasting conditions anymore.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    Some chinese phrases,

Nice! And impressive w/ the Chinese font as well.

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    There is two different threads regarding IT and metabolism.

I'm not much of a social propriety type of person, so I'll openly state, it looks obvious that you're spending about 5x the effort answering the question would on making the conversation being about where and how the question is asked.
    You'd save face answering, even if the answer is you misstated or were wrong on reflection.

Maybe the "Bang, Date, Marry, Pass?" threads over in Chit Chat would be a better intellectual match for some posters? Just sayin'.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    If you ain't hungry don't eat brekky, it will help boost your metabolism for a small period then after that it will slow it so hence the controversy on here.

Since silliness about metabolism is often part of arguments that people must eat breakfast, it's on topic in this thread and a reasonable thing to debate.

I think I made it pretty clear just how controversial it is.

I thought you were claiming that saying "eat breakfast if you want, it doesn't matter" was controversial. When, if you'd read the thread, you would have seen it was not.
    If you look into how the body is affected in first lets say day of fasting(look up the IF thread) then you will see the correlation between metabolism increase very surprising and slight.

What are you talking about? Are you claiming that ONE day of fasting changes (increases) metabolism? Why don't you try to write more clearly?
    After 3 days IF or just plain fasting your metabolism will slow. So essentially it can be if monitored carefully not as scary or woo as some people would have you believe.

One does not fast for 3 days with IF, so again, I have no idea what you are trying to say.

I don't think any of this is scary. I just think it's false to assert that eating or not eating breakfast affects your metabolism.

(This thread is not actually about IF. Lots of people don't eat breakfast without doing IF.)

Just plain fasting can be seen as scary yes. Intermittent fasting does not equal fasting for 3 days. If you fasted for 3 days sure your metabolism would slow, which is where people get scared off of the idea of fasting. A day or thereabouts of (IF or just straight Fasting)will see the opposite so hence it is seen as controversial.

I do not condone fasting unless you are being monitored and there are no underlying medical issues.

Wrong. If you eat absolutely nothing for 3 days, your metabolism should be running about 20% FASTER than normal.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10837292
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2405717
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    senecarr wrote: »
    There is two different threads regarding IT and metabolism.

I'm not much of a social propriety type of person, so I'll openly state, it looks obvious that you're spending about 5x the effort answering the question would on making the conversation being about where and how the question is asked.
    You'd save face answering, even if the answer is you misstated or were wrong on reflection.

Maybe the "Bang, Date, Marry, Pass?" threads over in Chit Chat would be a better intellectual match for some posters? Just sayin'.

Lol. So much lol
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    sullus wrote: »

I think I made it pretty clear just how controversial it is.

I thought you were claiming that saying "eat breakfast if you want, it doesn't matter" was controversial. When, if you'd read the thread, you would have seen it was not.
    If you look into how the body is affected in first lets say day of fasting(look up the IF thread) then you will see the correlation between metabolism increase very surprising and slight.

What are you talking about? Are you claiming that ONE day of fasting changes (increases) metabolism? Why don't you try to write more clearly?
    After 3 days IF or just plain fasting your metabolism will slow. So essentially it can be if monitored carefully not as scary or woo as some people would have you believe.

One does not fast for 3 days with IF, so again, I have no idea what you are trying to say.

I don't think any of this is scary. I just think it's false to assert that eating or not eating breakfast affects your metabolism.

(This thread is not actually about IF. Lots of people don't eat breakfast without doing IF.)

Just plain fasting can be seen as scary yes. Intermittent fasting does not equal fasting for 3 days. If you fasted for 3 days sure your metabolism would slow, which is where people get scared off of the idea of fasting. A day or thereabouts of (IF or just straight Fasting)will see the opposite so hence it is seen as controversial.

I do not condone fasting unless you are being monitored and there are no underlying medical issues.

Wrong. If you eat absolutely nothing for 3 days, your metabolism should be running about 20% FASTER than normal.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10837292
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/

What day does it slow ? Just so I can correct my memory because I am not disagreeing with I agree it stays high the metabolism surge..but the clincher is when does it stop?

*shrug* .. no clue. I was just refuting your assertion with seeming certainty that if you fasted for 3 days your metabolism would slow.
This discussion has been closed.