Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Breakfast yes or no?

Options

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    How do you think science gets supported.anyways you classified it as a debate now debate Hun
    psulemon wrote: »
    Neither
    Btw your post is going to be problematic on here as it is extremely controversial. So I will stick to my opinion based on my own ideas and experiences. It doesn't matter when you eat only what and how much. If you ain't hungry don't eat brekky, it will help boost your metabolism for a small period then after that it will slow it so hence the controversy on here. Both theories are correct. A one day fast us fine,skipping briskly is fine don't get too obsessed .

This is the debate section. The purpose is to discuss and debate those part of nutrition. You can have an opinion, but if its not supported by science it will be challenged, especially in this section.

The controversy here is that many people get information from blogs, newspapers and netflix "documentaries" as opposed to scientific articles.

When people talk about an increase in metabolism, they are talking about your bodies response to upregulate your metabolism to digest calories; since your body burns calories to digest foods (thermal effect of food), people feel that eating multiple times a day, they will enable this process to continuously burn calories. After its done digesting food, your metabolism will deregulate and go back to running your system. But the thing is, the TEF will be the same regardless of meal and is more dependent on total calorie intake (btw, this is a 24 hour continuous process). This is why, meal frequency does not matter.

And another issue is, people have put those labels (breakfast, lunch and dinner) and have delineated specific periods of time for those. So technically, we all eat breakfast (since it means that you break the fast). People just so happen to suggest whether we do it during the periods established for breakfast, lunch or dinner.

Despite what some post-modernists want to espouse, science and the rational empirical process is not simply one form of opinion. At some point the fact that it produces efficacious results tends to act rather eloquently as an argument for it over other methods for interpreting the reality.

In other words, science > dem feelz.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I went from having black coffee and cigarettes for breakfast and not eating til 6pm (waking up at 7am), to eating a 250-350 cal breakfast every day, to now only having a cup of coffee with creamer for "breakfast" and then eating at 11 or 12.

I've come to realize it does not really matter if *I* eat breakfast or not, it's just what I prefer. Am I hungry? Okay then, I'll eat. Not hungry? Just coffee. I prefer to workout on an empty stomach. Or even better, coffee about 30-60 minutes beforehand.
  • rontafoya
    rontafoya Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Personally I've gotten nearly miraculous results doing the 8 hour eating window (12pm-8pm) intermittent fasting protocol. I'm not sure but some evidence suggests this kind of eating works better for men due to our different hormonal make up. I have read in a few different places women can benefit from a 10 hour eating window. Besides, everybody eats breakfast--it just depends on 'when' you eat it. I eat mine at noon. Those who (like me) do not wake up hungry are not doing themselves any favors by eating early in the morning, in my opinion.
  • mankars
    mankars Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    yes.
  • VitaSh
    VitaSh Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Bad things can happen if I skip breakfast lol (cravings,irritability, low energy, hunger). Especially if you're active, I think it's important for most people
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Neither
    Btw your post is going to be problematic on here as it is extremely controversial. So I will stick to my opinion based on my own ideas and experiences. It doesn't matter when you eat only what and how much. If you ain't hungry don't eat brekky, it will help boost your metabolism for a small period then after that it will slow it so hence the controversy on here. Both theories are correct. A one day fast us fine,skipping briskly is fine don't get too obsessed .

[Edited by MFP Staff]

How does eating breakfast boost metabolism?
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    How do you think science gets supported.anyways you classified it as a debate now debate Hun
    psulemon wrote: »
    Neither

This is the debate section. The purpose is to discuss and debate those part of nutrition. You can have an opinion, but if its not supported by science it will be challenged, especially in this section.

The controversy here is that many people get information from blogs, newspapers and netflix "documentaries" as opposed to scientific articles.

When people talk about an increase in metabolism, they are talking about your bodies response to upregulate your metabolism to digest calories; since your body burns calories to digest foods (thermal effect of food), people feel that eating multiple times a day, they will enable this process to continuously burn calories. After its done digesting food, your metabolism will deregulate and go back to running your system. But the thing is, the TEF will be the same regardless of meal and is more dependent on total calorie intake (btw, this is a 24 hour continuous process). This is why, meal frequency does not matter.

And another issue is, people have put those labels (breakfast, lunch and dinner) and have delineated specific periods of time for those. So technically, we all eat breakfast (since it means that you break the fast). People just so happen to suggest whether we do it during the periods established for breakfast, lunch or dinner.

Despite what some post-modernists want to espouse, science and the rational empirical process is not simply one form of opinion. At some point the fact that it produces efficacious results tends to act rather eloquently as an argument for it over other methods for interpreting the reality.

In other words, science > dem feelz.

With the addition of "because it works."
  • adtwin33
    adtwin33 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    adtwin33 wrote: »
    Eat most of ur calories in the morning then taper off

Are you talking about that "Eat breakfast like a king and dinner like a pauper" thing?

Yes, heard that phrase b4
  • jacklifts
    jacklifts Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    not sure why everybody is arguing, most people has breakfast at some point during the day
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i find that i enjoy eating something early in the day. overall, i eat kinda like a hobbit, with 5-7 "meals" a day. but you know, as a 6-foot-3 and 210 lbs triathlete i probably have a lot more calorie wiggle room than a lot of people.
  • Orione2
    Orione2 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I lose weight easier when I eat a bigger portion of my daily calories before midday. Ie stuff my face at breakfast.. Porridge with fruit and low fat yogurt, with bacon and egg and mushroom and tomato grilled sets me up for a day of activity and no grumbling tummy. Stops me from needing to eat snacks and junk.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    Neither

[Edited by MFP Staff]

How does eating breakfast boost metabolism?

Not eating breakfast is not a weight loss solution. It is something you choose not to do when you are not hungry. Eat your caloric value whenever you like makes no difference. Unless you have some special medical reason of course. I prefer to get my first meal in at about 10am 1030am. But I know healthy fit people who have a full breakfast at 730am, and then a fair few of them skip and do lunch slightly bigger. I think we all know deep down this is ridiculous the notion that if you skip it will help or hinder.

That's great but it didn't answer my question. You stated eating breakfast would boost ones metabolism . I am asking how would eating breakfast boost ones metabolism.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    That is an entirely different topic. I suggest you post about it in a different thread. There already is one going regarding it.

It's not an entirely different topic it's a claim YOU MADE in this thread.

I suggest you answer it.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    There is two different threads regarding IT and metabolism.

And?

Multiple threads are common here. Can you answer the question or were you just talking out of your *kitten*?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    If you ain't hungry don't eat brekky, it will help boost your metabolism for a small period then after that it will slow it so hence the controversy on here.

Here's the claim, made in this thread.

Since silliness about metabolism is often part of arguments that people must eat breakfast, it's on topic in this thread and a reasonable thing to debate.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options

I'm not much of a social propriety type of person, so I'll openly state, it looks obvious that you're spending about 5x the effort answering the question would on making the conversation being about where and how the question is asked.
    You'd save face answering, even if the answer is you misstated or were wrong on reflection.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

I'm not much of a social propriety type of person, so I'll openly state, it looks obvious that you're spending about 5x the effort answering the question would on making the conversation being about where and how the question is asked.
    You'd save face answering, even if the answer is you misstated or were wrong on reflection.

It's hard to be wrong or eat crows. Bird pie anyone?
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    jamkelly10 wrote: »
    If you skip breakfast your body craves to make up for these missed calories throughout the day, due to meeting energy demands of daily tasks I.e working, walking, cleaning and the simplest way to make up for skipping breakfast is snacking on junk food/higher calorie meals which results in weight gain.
    If your body 'gets used' to missing breakfast, you still won't have the optimal concentration/performance you would have if you were to eat breakfast.
    100% untrue...
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    I don't view it as an either or. If I am hungry, I eat breakfast. If I am not hungry, I don't...
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    If you ain't hungry don't eat brekky, it will help boost your metabolism for a small period then after that it will slow it so hence the controversy on here.

Here's the claim, made in this thread.

Since silliness about metabolism is often part of arguments that people must eat breakfast, it's on topic in this thread and a reasonable thing to debate.

I think I made it pretty clear just how controversial it is.

I thought you were claiming that saying "eat breakfast if you want, it doesn't matter" was controversial. When, if you'd read the thread, you would have seen it was not.
    If you look into how the body is affected in first lets say day of fasting(look up the IF thread) then you will see the correlation between metabolism increase very surprising and slight.

What are you talking about? Are you claiming that ONE day of fasting changes (increases) metabolism? Why don't you try to write more clearly?
    After 3 days IF or just plain fasting your metabolism will slow. So essentially it can be if monitored carefully not as scary or woo as some people would have you believe.

One does not fast for 3 days with IF, so again, I have no idea what you are trying to say.

I don't think any of this is scary. I just think it's false to assert that eating or not eating breakfast affects your metabolism.

(This thread is not actually about IF. Lots of people don't eat breakfast without doing IF.)
This discussion has been closed.