Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Breakfast yes or no?

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Don't know how this fits, but I was never a morning person until my mid-30s, and for some reason now I really am -- I love getting up by 5 am and always wake up before my alarm. I switched from someone who had never liked breakfast (since I stopped eating it as a teenager) to someone who always eats breakfast around the same time I began transitioning into a morning person.

No correlation with my weight. I've been overweight twice in my life, once in my late 20s/early 30s (when I did not eat breakfast) and regained (and subsequently lost again) when I was around 40 (and ate breakfast).
  • ForgetfoodDrinktea
    Options
    Did humans always have instant access to food at all times? No. We use to have to hunt when we were hungry. The body needs times without food to go into a process called autophagy. Extending your fasting period without food will only lengthen the time you're in autophagy and help your body. Not eating breakfast is fine if you are not hungry.

Skipping breakfast to avoid the calories... That's fine too. If you don't have the time or patience, don't eat.

That's not to say we should never eat. I just don't want people to feel breakfast is some sort of biological necessity.

Great nutrition means good health, but sometimes your body needs that break. And if you arent into breakfast, that is ok!
  • veggiecanner
    veggiecanner Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I never used to eat breakfast ,but I started daily walks and think it is better if I eat at least 300 calories or so before I leave.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    gnikeu6cyh29.jpg
    I love breakfast because bacon. :)
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Eating breakfast *Kickstarts your metabolism* (speeds up) making you feel hungry sooner than if you skipped (depending if you are substituting with coffee etc)
    Would you get in your car to drive a mile or few with NO GAS? (no calories) I wouldnt.
    You need fuel to function, yes you will go into your body's store reserves for energy from fat but with skipping breakfast you aren't getting aminos (protein) to maintain and prevent (catabolism)muscle breakdown.

We work hard for muscle..Why would you want to lose it?

My .02 cents

Huhh?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Nuke_64 wrote: »
    I had heard of a study saying that being a morning person or a night owl was linked to genetics. I was wonder if that applied to an appetite for breakfast as well. This is what I found after a brief google search.

"What determines our desire to wake with the sun or, conversely, burn the midnight oil, is influenced by the same system that regulates the cycling of many bodily functions. Our internal biological clock resides in the brain and regulates the timing of functions such as appetite, hormone release, and metabolism. Of all the cycles controlled by the circadian system, perhaps the most obvious is the sleep-wake cycle—when we go to sleep and when we wake up."

http://healthysleep.med.harvard.edu/healthy/science/variations/individual-variation-genetics

I'm not a morning person and I also do not care for breakfast. Is that correlation true for other folks?

That is how my wife is.. and I am the opposite. She can't eat for several hours after she wakes up and I can eat immediately.
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day! I wake up roaringly hungry and the appetite decreases as the day rolls on.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    gnikeu6cyh29.jpg

giphy.gif
  • theconformed
    theconformed Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If I'm going to the gym in the AM, I'll eat breakfast. Since I work on my feet all day and don't get a break until 2pm or so, I try to get 200 cals in first thing, but sometimes I'm just not hungry. Until I recently got my new job, I was a breakfast-free person.

I studied nutrition in university so for me to adopt a screw-"the-most-important-meal-a-day" philosophy was a really big thing... but I can tell you, it helps for weight loss. I'm currently helping a friend lose weight and with her 800-900 calorie meals, it's the easiest way for her to cut calories and only have 2 meals a day. And really, you get used to it.

As a side, I have to say that this thread has re-instilled some faith in the intelligence of humanity. It's nice to see the uneducated posts being questioned for their lack of reasoning and science. I also appreciate that the people that have their personal opinions are addressing them as such. The most important thing about any lifestyle adaptation is to choose things that work for you.
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    As stated, I'm totally a breakfast eater. However, after eat over goal (and maintenence) yesterday, I wasn't hungry like normal in the morning today. So, I had a cup of coffee and some mini snickers in the morning, ate lunch like normal, and here I am, not dead, at almost dinner time. Perhaps more importantly, though, i also didn't get hangry. It could easily be a weight loss strategy since I'm way lower on calories than normal by this time of the day because I didn't eat breakfast.

I'm normally very hungry in the morning, though, so not a thing I'd choose everyday, but it makes sense and my metabolism definitely didn't stop ;)
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    gnikeu6cyh29.jpg

Psssttt..I have a secret.

Bacon..it's not just for breakfast anymore
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    Ever since I was little, I remember hating food first thing in the morning and I forced it down due to family pressure based on old wives tales. Then as an adult I felt I should have breakfast, due to the then pervading research on how not eating breakfast was correlated with obesity. Eventually I started doing what felt right to me personally, and that is to start eating when I feel my body wants it's first food, and that's normally not before 11am. My other half needs food within half an hour of getting up. I can't face food when I've just woken up. We also have quite different circadian rhythms. I'm a night owl, he falls asleep by 9:30pm.

What I did notice when I had early breakfast though is that I wanted to eat again very soon after, whereas when I wait until I'm truly hungry I remain hunger free for much longer. I have always wondered I that's just a personal experience or if there is something in that...
  • noah_mac
    noah_mac Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    it really depends on how I'm feeling on the day- sometimes I'm just not that hungry in the morning :/
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is my favorite meal. I don't care what others do or think. However the research shows that people who eat breakfast are more successful at maintaining a weight loss.
  • psuLemon
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Neither
    Btw your post is going to be problematic on here as it is extremely controversial. So I will stick to my opinion based on my own ideas and experiences. It doesn't matter when you eat only what and how much. If you ain't hungry don't eat brekky, it will help boost your metabolism for a small period then after that it will slow it so hence the controversy on here. Both theories are correct. A one day fast us fine,skipping briskly is fine don't get too obsessed .

This is the debate section. The purpose is to discuss and debate those part of nutrition. You can have an opinion, but if its not supported by science it will be challenged, especially in this section.

The controversy here is that many people get information from blogs, newspapers and netflix "documentaries" as opposed to scientific articles.

When people talk about an increase in metabolism, they are talking about your bodies response to upregulate your metabolism to digest calories; since your body burns calories to digest foods (thermal effect of food), people feel that eating multiple times a day, they will enable this process to continuously burn calories. After its done digesting food, your metabolism will deregulate and go back to running your system. But the thing is, the TEF will be the same regardless of meal and is more dependent on total calorie intake (btw, this is a 24 hour continuous process). This is why, meal frequency does not matter.

And another issue is, people have put those labels (breakfast, lunch and dinner) and have delineated specific periods of time for those. So technically, we all eat breakfast (since it means that you break the fast). People just so happen to suggest whether we do it during the periods established for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Breakfast enthusiast here. Because:
    - early riser
    - Two decades of diabetic training
    - Breakfast foods
    - Pancakes
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I don't "eat" breakfast, but I have lots of cups of tea with Almond milk for only 85 calories which fills me up. I don't see the point of eating if you're not hungry or don't feel like eating. I would much rather save my calories for Dinner and dessert. If I do eat breakfast it unleashes the hunger monster and I get more hungry than usual.
  • adtwin33
    adtwin33 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Eat most of ur calories in the morning then taper off
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    adtwin33 wrote: »
    Eat most of ur calories in the morning then taper off

Doesn't matter. At all.

• vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter one way or the other. During the week because of time I usually have a glass of soy milk in the morning, and a mid morning snack of a piece of fruit and a handful of nuts or some cheese. That holds me nicely until lunch. On the weekend I may do the same, or have some steel cut oatmeal or eggs and bacon with my soy milk. Doesn't seem to affect cravings at all in my case. I have by the way lost 60+ pounds, so I think I'm doing something right.
This discussion has been closed.