losing weight will make me look old???

Options
Ok, this probably sounds weird, but someone mentioned the other day that when I lose all the weight I can expect to look old, as the fat is helping make me look younger! This is a scary idea coz I look a LOT younger than my actual 42yrs, as you can see from my photo. It was taken last year after a really nice haircut, on a rather nice, flattering angle (and I have lost some weight since then). I'm not particularly vain but I do like the confidence boost of being mistaken for up to 10 years younger brings me!

Please share your thoughts and experiences with this...

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    My (limited) experience as someone who gets mistaken for being younger sometimes: Yes, I do look older when I'm heavier. But it isn't a dramatic difference.

I *am* vain and I prefer the confidence boost of being thinner and maybe having people think I look closer to my actual age.
  • blknred28
    blknred28 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it's true, but I've heard losing weight actually makes you look younger or I've actually seen it myself. My sister is only 25 and she had packed a lot of weight and it made her look older and now that she's losing weight she's looking younger.
  • Equus5374
    Equus5374 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    You have a very young-looking face; I think weight loss will only enhance that. Personally I think I look younger thinner. I think excess weight makes people look older.
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Maybe. You won't really know until you get there. My experience around that age was that the vertical folds/creases on the side of my mouth multiplied and looked deeper. However that was 100 pound weight loss. Regained, currently about 30 pounds above that low weight and the lines are just starting to show back up when I smile.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Well they do say you have to choose between your *kitten* and your face

Personally I didn't think I look any older after losing weight ...and my *kitten* certainly looks fine now ;)
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about it making you look old but I can say that if I were to get back down to my early 20's weight, I would not like the look of my face. I wish my midsection was smaller but to do that I'd have to lose more weight all over and I feel my face looks better with a little extra weight, so I just deal with it. I'm about 12 lbs heavier than I was at 23 and I think it's more flattering at my age now. I wouldn't let what that person said stop you from your goals. Your end goal just may change a bit as you get closer to it and actually see the results. I wanted to get back down to under 130 lbs (125 ideally) but when I got to 132 I realized that it wasn't ideal anymore and now I maintain comfortably at around 135.
  • missblondi2u
    missblondi2u Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    I haven't found this to be the case. Everyone keeps telling me I look younger! I do think that if someone goes too low, or if they happen to lose a lot in their face, they may look a little older, but I wouldn't worry about that. Was the person who said this trying to discourage you for some reason?
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I've seen so many people that look so much younger when they lose weight. I guess it just depends on the individual.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I've always thought that people who are at a healthy weight usually look younger than when they are overweight.
    How much weight do you plan to lose?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    It will vary from person to person. Losing weight in your face could show wrinkles more, especially if you lose a lot or lose it quickly. But being thin and fit almost always make your body look younger.

The good news is that almost everyone will say they get told they look younger than they are and you likely still will too, whether it's true or not.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    It depends on the person, but I wouldn't worry about it if I were you. For those of us with round faces, weight loss actually helps more than it hurts in my opinion. I'm one of those moon-faced people who has chubby cheeks and somewhat of a double chin no matter what weight they are. I'm 111 pounds, my lowest weight since I was 12, and I still have chin pudge but my face has slimmed out. Oh, and people still assume I'm younger.
  • stellabest99
    stellabest99 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    I've always thought that people who are at a healthy weight usually look younger than when they are overweight.
    How much weight do you plan to lose?

I'm trying to lose around 30kgs (um, ~66lbs I think is about the conversion rate). Currently at 84.4kg (186-ish). According to the BMI thing I should be around 60-64kg (133-141lbs) since I'm 160cm (5'3")
  • stellabest99
    Options
    I haven't found this to be the case. Everyone keeps telling me I look younger! I do think that if someone goes too low, or if they happen to lose a lot in their face, they may look a little older, but I wouldn't worry about that. Was the person who said this trying to discourage you for some reason?

No, actually it was just an off-hand comment. My colleague is being very supportive of me going through this, but it just made me think...
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Try it out. The good news is that if it does make you look older than you like, getting fat again is easy. (sadly)
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I actually look younger as I'm losing. Genetics and taking care of my skin. My family gets wrinkles later than most. I saw my first in early 40s (and I wasn't very heavy like I am currently).

I agree going too low in weight makes anyone look old and gaunt.

You look great. Maybe they were jealous? Lol
  • DYELB
    DYELB Posts: 7,407 Member
    Options
    This is a scary idea coz I look a LOT younger than my actual 42yrs, as you can see from my photo.

You do?

• stellabest99
    Options
    I actually look younger as I'm losing. Genetics and taking care of my skin. My family gets wrinkles later than most. I saw my first in early 40s (and I wasn't very heavy like I am currently).

I agree going too low in weight makes anyone look old and gaunt.

You look great. Maybe they were jealous? Lol

Aww, can we be friends? You are definitely good for my ego! LOL. As long as I hide my "wisdom hair" (i.e. colour it to hide the grey), most people seem to think I'm in my 30s... here's hoping I look like I'm in my 20s when I'm done... heehee.. no wait, 30s is fine. Don't wanna be a cougar ;-)
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Worst case your face lines will be accentuated a bit. But if you swap out that grandma sweater you'll even out and look mid-40s again I'm guessing.
  • luckypony71
    luckypony71 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Ok, this probably sounds weird, but someone mentioned the other day that when I lose all the weight I can expect to look old, as the fat is helping make me look younger! This is a scary idea coz I look a LOT younger than my actual 42yrs, as you can see from my photo. It was taken last year after a really nice haircut, on a rather nice, flattering angle (and I have lost some weight since then). I'm not particularly vain but I do like the confidence boost of being mistaken for up to 10 years younger brings me!

Please share your thoughts and experiences with this...

I have more lose skin around my neck and I do look gaunt. I am 44 years old, yes I think the fat made me look younger. However....I would rather look old with a healthy body than look younger with a fat body. I am having way more fun now. I can do things that being fat kept me from doing. And last year I wore a 2 piece bathing suit. Not a skimpy one but a 2 piece with tummy showing.

• Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I feel like I look a lot older since I lost weight. But I would rather be healthy and active than overweight and look young.