losing weight will make me look old???

Options

Replies

• carmkizzle
    carmkizzle Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I looked a lot older when I was heavier. When I first lost the weight I did look even older because it looked like someone let all the air out of my face lol. I lost over 30 pounds in a months (not intentionally) and it took a little while for my body to adjust. I now get mistaken for early to mid 20's, and I'm almost 40. Personally, I'd rather be healthy than look young.

LMAO

• patesq
    patesq Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I've lost 86 lbs and have been told both that I look older and that I look younger. I'm 51. I know I'm healthier, more energetic and quite a bit stronger - I feel younger.
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    OP, thank you for asking this question! It's something I've been wondering about myself, and considered making a thread about.

I've known people who have lost weight and looked older afterwards, presumably due to the lack of fat padding out facial lines and wrinkles, and this bothers me a bit as I do have some little lines now. I try not to be vain but I (apparently) inherited my mother's ability to look younger than I am, so now I'm 50 I'd kinda like to look as though I'm still in my 40s! :wink: Personally I don't think I look much younger in photos, but I'm told I do in person. *shrug*

It's interesting to see the responses here, and I have to admit that in most (if not all) of the success stories I've looked through people don't generally look older. They certainly look better, and as a couple of people here have commented, being fit and healthy is preferable to looking a few years younger if I have to make the choice! :smile:

• PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    Being fat filled out my face. Now I can see every last line I've been gifted in the last 15 years. :expressionless: The photos at work that were done recently emphasise that, and I'm not thrilled by it. Though I'll take looking my age over having insulin resistance and at an increased risk for other health issues that my genetics are steeped in. :P
  • Nerdycurls
    Nerdycurls Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    It's genetics. My mom will always look younger than her age even if she was overweight, and she's within the healthy weight range. When I was 20 pounds heavier, I thought my face looked bad and it looks better now. I don't think losing weight makes you look older unless there were other habits you don't stop contributing to aging. If you don't get enough sleep, yeah that's going to age you.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I will admit when I was obese and over weight I had a fuller looking face, but now I have more wrinkles, and like it or not we age (everyone gets their turn and at some point you have to accept it), but it is nothing that a smile, a bounce in your step, health, and a twinkle in your eye can't overcome.
  • thunder1982
    thunder1982 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I probably have dressed older than my years due to the fact that 'older' clothes are genially more generously sized and have more appropriate skin coverage. So a drop in weight means I can shop at 'trendy' stores which can help convey a younger look.

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I think women look older and haggard when they have lost too much weight and are too skinny!
  • jan3h
    jan3h Posts: 55 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    <--- this is me, I'm 50 and have lost 26kg (55lb). Do I look older? Nope! Get to your goal weight, see how you feel and if you like it there, stay there. If you feel flabby, lift some weights, nothing like muscle to fill out loose skin! I have found being fit and active is the closest thing there is to the fountain of youth :-)
    P.S. I am a runner too, and a cyclist :P
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    I've always thought that people who are at a healthy weight usually look younger than when they are overweight.
    How much weight do you plan to lose?

I'm trying to lose around 30kgs (um, ~66lbs I think is about the conversion rate). Currently at 84.4kg (186-ish). According to the BMI thing I should be around 60-64kg (133-141lbs) since I'm 160cm (5'3")

Why do you convert metric to imperial units?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    trjjoy wrote: »
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    I've always thought that people who are at a healthy weight usually look younger than when they are overweight.
    How much weight do you plan to lose?

I'm trying to lose around 30kgs (um, ~66lbs I think is about the conversion rate). Currently at 84.4kg (186-ish). According to the BMI thing I should be around 60-64kg (133-141lbs) since I'm 160cm (5'3")

I do it all the time too. I'm on an American site, so i try and use American numbers to make it easier for the majority of the members here.
  • stellabest99
    stellabest99 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Why do you convert metric to imperial units? [/quote]

I do it all the time too. I'm on an American site, so i try and use American numbers to make it easier for the majority of the members here.[/quote]

Exactly! For the convenience of those who don't use metric, I post in imperial as well :)
  • BettyBoles
    BettyBoles Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Slow reduction is weight will not affect your skin and make you look younger.
  • stellabest99
    stellabest99 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    SueSueDio wrote: »
    OP, thank you for asking this question! It's something I've been wondering about myself, and considered making a thread about.

I've known people who have lost weight and looked older afterwards, presumably due to the lack of fat padding out facial lines and wrinkles, and this bothers me a bit as I do have some little lines now. I try not to be vain but I (apparently) inherited my mother's ability to look younger than I am, so now I'm 50 I'd kinda like to look as though I'm still in my 40s! :wink: Personally I don't think I look much younger in photos, but I'm told I do in person. *shrug*

It's interesting to see the responses here, and I have to admit that in most (if not all) of the success stories I've looked through people don't generally look older. They certainly look better, and as a couple of people here have commented, being fit and healthy is preferable to looking a few years younger if I have to make the choice! :smile:

I agree. To be honest, I'm not overly worried about it. I was just curious as to what people had to say/think. We have such a wonderful range of folks using MFP, you never know what responses people will come up with. Humans come in an amazing range of "flavours" so there is no "one size fits all". Genetics seems to play a huge part, but so does being healthy. Lines and wrinkles just show a life well lived; a fit and healthy body will keep us around to appreciate and enjoy all life has to give! :)
  • lindaloo1213
    lindaloo1213 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I would have to say from what Ive seen 99% of the people that have posted their before and after look a lot younger after they lose the weight.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    Ok, this probably sounds weird, but someone mentioned the other day that when I lose all the weight I can expect to look old, as the fat is helping make me look younger! This is a scary idea coz I look a LOT younger than my actual 42yrs, as you can see from my photo. It was taken last year after a really nice haircut, on a rather nice, flattering angle (and I have lost some weight since then). I'm not particularly vain but I do like the confidence boost of being mistaken for up to 10 years younger brings me!

Please share your thoughts and experiences with this...

you look your age, hun.

sorry :(

the benefits of weight loss and feeling better should be more important than anything else, anyways.

theres always botox :/
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    don't listen to others, you'll feel so good about yourself when you lose your weight that you'll exude happiness and joy which is youthful...personally I feel you'll look younger as generally slimmer people look more youthful :smile:
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    There are a lot of gaunt looking 45-50+ out there - very healthy but looking older and all very similar, look what my trainer and I have been doing..etc
    Do the training and weight management to suit your age - if you're over 40 try not to run/cycle so much, more yoga/pilates/strength training to maintain muscle mass and tone. The he/she must be a runner look is not so good, in my opinion,
    R

well thanks very much!! I'm not 'gaunt' looking. I happen to think I could pass for being younger than I am (I'm 46) but thats maybe just my opinion! don't write us older ones off! I run 5 days a week/ I average 18k steps a day/ I lift heavy and I FEEL AND LOOK GREAT (imo) :smile:

• JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options

I do it all the time too. I'm on an American site, so i try and use American numbers to make it easier for the majority of the members here.[/quote]

Exactly! For the convenience of those who don't use metric, I post in imperial as well :) [/quote]

And we appreciate it, Thankyou!
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, it depends. I looked & felt frumpy when heavier, so older, in my opinion. I've just lost 21 lbs and it didn't have much fat in my face. I do obsess a bit about my neck now but I am almost 47. Most people still think I'm 10 yrs younger than my actual age. My body looks much younger (thank you, weight training) than it did at 37 & I'm more fit now than I was at 27.