RANT: WHY IS EVERYONE SO MEAN?!?!

Options

Replies

• SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    Or they do it cause they're trying to fit in to a specific peer group and be accepted by some people on this site... Posting pointless GIF are the "COOL" thing to do on MFP. IF you want to be "COOL" on MFP you need to snarky, sarcastic. Everyone does it, we all might as well be a bunch of followers.

Awww.. Did the cool kids do something mean to you?

They did me too. Like water off a duck's back. Just let it go. It's better for you that way.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    Or they do it cause they're trying to fit in to a specific peer group and be accepted by some people on this site... Posting pointless GIF are the "COOL" thing to do on MFP. IF you want to be "COOL" on MFP you need to snarky, sarcastic. Everyone does it, we all might as well be a bunch of followers.

Awww.. Did the cool kids do something mean to you?

They did me too. Like water off a duck's back. Just let it go. It's better for you that way.

the cool kids locked me in my locker. i had to wait until the janitor arrived this morning to get out.

:angry:
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    Options
    I think its because when someone posts a legitimate opinion about health, 5 other people feel the need to explain that because of their extensive google research, they certainly know more than anyone else on the internet.

And by extensive, you mean they spent about 5 minutes googling something and read the parts of a blog that support their own ideas and neglected the parts that don't.
  • soldier4242
    soldier4242 Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    I know you are too new to know the can of worms you have opened here but this never ends well.

The reason people are mean on the internet is because they have a large audience and they have no accountability.
    Also some things that are labeled as mean are actually just honest and people don't like straight shooters.

I have found this site to be very useful in helping me lose weight. There are way more good than bad. There are groups you can join where everyone is like minded which will help you avoid mean people. I would recommend joining one of those.

I agree with all but the lack of accountability part. I mean, you can ping their IP, and find out all kinds of information about them. It's not that anonymous. Some are that mean IRL as well.

Finding out the originator of an internet post is a skill that belongs to an esoteric group of people and of those that know what to do only some of them actually care to do it. So for the most part it is anonymous and even through it really isn't the fact that they think it is will be enough to make them act like jerks.

Yes some people are just that mean IRL as well. There is nothing anyone can do about that lot. They will be jerks no matter what.
  • harphy
    harphy Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Seriously...you don't know the meaning of "mean"! People here are some of the nicest and most supportive I've met in a looong time. Each of us has a meaner lot at home and among "friends" who attempt to crush our plans for healthier life.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    When I first joined and I saw the "why are people mean" threads, I thought people were talking about the few people that do say mean things (calling people fat and unattractive as an example, and other such things). Those things would get deleted. I just figured there must be a lot of that. I thought people were oversensitive because all these nice people that give helpful advice would respond as if the OP was talking about them.

I just find it funny about perceptions.

Someone posts "why are people mean". Nice, helpful people think it's about them. So, I thought they were the ones being oversensitive. :laugh:

It seemed to me the helpful people were not mean at all. The clueless people that (upon seeing me asking about how to set calorie goals) suddenly accused me of being anorexic and that I was going to die (simply because my weight is low because I am petite and small framed and I'm active as a dancer and dedicated to fitness) were not so much mean, but annoying for sure. It was the helpful people that made joining here more pleasant, for calling those others out on their nonsense and then giving me helpful advice: Find out my TDEE, use Scooby's, eat at maintenance, lift heavy weights, gave me resources.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    In for gifs!

grentch_violin_animation.gif
  • belle713
    belle713 Posts: 30
    Options

the cool kids locked me in my locker. i had to wait until the janitor arrived this morning to get out.

:angry:

:laugh: :drinker: :sad: :laugh:
  • celtbell3
    celtbell3 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    There is a tremendous amount of satire on MFP - sarcasm and extreme criticism are the norm on many boards. Don't let it get you down. To balance the bad, there are also the supportive and caring responses.
  • __stacyb
    __stacyb Posts: 306
    Options
    I like snarky people, what's wrong with that?
  • Songbirdcw
    Songbirdcw Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Staying a few minutes late here at work just to laugh at all the funny gifs. :laugh:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I mean, I thought that this site was supposed to be about support and motivation. All I see are snarky/mean answers to everything on here.

It's disgusting..
    I would tell you why, but you don't want to be my friend anymore, so I'm not telling my secret.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mgoty2Cjye1qfdu94o1_500.gif
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    Options
    This topic title was just an opening for everyone to be more 'mean' to you. I will say what I say to everyone else that posts these kinds of things, Who Cares. I could care less when people on the internet say something rude. It's internet, it's to be expected.

Why are you reaming CAD?
  • rosemaryhon
    rosemaryhon Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Why are you so whiny and yelly?

Because I just don't get it.

If you can't say anything nice, then don't say anything at all.

Why wouldn't you follow your own advice? You started this thread to whine that people's comments are "disgusting".

Besides which, and I realize this might come across mean, but as my kid's say to each other "you're not the boss of me".
  • annakow
    annakow Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    We are starving and we are horrible lol
  • oldandhealthier
    oldandhealthier Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I feel so at home here:grumble: :angry: :frown: :sick:
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    the real question here should be why is everyone so easily butthurt all the time if they don't get the answer they wanted (or if the truth is not sugarcoated)?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRnl7HFJFE0Hqia6E8A4d0RgEldU1fLsEf8QWSgJXXglv_mXtjwzuCT18fb
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    Options
    This is my first post so I'll be nice. :flowerforyou:

However, I must warn you. I'm on day 3 of my new "low carb llifestyle" (trying to remove the word "diet" from my vocabulary.)

No wonder you are cranky. You are on a low carb lifestyle, and your lips are made of candy sprinkles. You can't even lick your lips. I am not on a low bard lifestyle. I want to nibble on your lips.
  • jessizona80
    jessizona80 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    i want ice cream. mint chocolate chip.

all I have is Banana Pudding from Blue Bell. You will eat it and love it. Got it?!?

Blue Bell Banana Pudding is the best.
This discussion has been closed.