Counting Steps FAD

Options

Replies

• AlphaCajun
    AlphaCajun Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    The successfulness of HIIT and Tabata style training disproves the "30 minute sustained cardio is the only way to fitness" malarky. A truly sedentary person eating at maintenance will begin to lose weight if they start walking 1000 steps a day at the same caloric intake... Because they're burning more calories.
  • Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    bjess8411 wrote: »
    I couldn't disagree with this post more.

I agree. Walking is exercise anyway. People who are getting over 10,000 steps are amazing and I am not sure how that would be reached without some decent activity. Normal daily activity usually nets me about 3,000 steps. Working out will add a couple thousand and then taking my son to school another 1,000. Normally I hit 5-6,000 steps. It really is harder to reach 10,000 than people realize and takes some effort unless you are just super active or have an active job and that does make people thinner and healthier.

Samesies. That's why I won't link my Fitbit with my sister's. That *kitten* gets like 15,000 steps a day and I'm like "Pick the weights up, put the weights down."
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    AlphaCajun wrote: »
    The successfulness of HIIT and Tabata style training disproves the "30 minute sustained cardio is the only way to fitness" malarky. A truly sedentary person eating at maintenance will begin to lose weight if they start walking 1000 steps a day at the same caloric intake... Because they're burning more calories.

Good point. Some HIIT testing and data shows that the intensity gives benefits at lower time intervals.

But that is where I see the OP as correct in a sense. The number of steps isn't a measure of fitness other than a minimum of activity. Given the same 10,000 step goal the speed, intensity, time period, conditions (hills, stairs, etc) all factor in. I'd imagine if you compare the 10,000 steps the actual pound per pound calorie burns and levels of fitness could vary greatly.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    robertw486 wrote: »

Good point. Some HIIT testing and data shows that the intensity gives benefits at lower time intervals.

But that is where I see the OP as correct in a sense. The number of steps isn't a measure of fitness other than a minimum of activity. Given the same 10,000 step goal the speed, intensity, time period, conditions (hills, stairs, etc) all factor in. I'd imagine if you compare the 10,000 steps the actual pound per pound calorie burns and levels of fitness could vary greatly.

That strictly speaking from a weight loss perspective. There is new information to suggest that sitting for prolonged periods of time is bad for your health, even if you are physically active for a portion of the day. The 10,000 steps goal, especially if broken up through the day would be beneficial to combat this.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options

The problem is the OP is see 10,000 steps as being meant as a measure of fitness in some absolute sense. It is a measure of fitness in the sense of there are bunch of people, myself included, who would be very challenged to walk 10,000 steps in a day. If I forced myself to do it, I would be in pain in the days following because of it. However, I can cycle for 50 miles easily enough. There are many people who would benefit greatly from getting in 10,000 steps day both for the NEAT benefit, but also because it is a weight bearing exercise which would improve the quality of life overall.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    While I don't own one and have no need for one, I do believe they serve a purpose.
    Here's an example - my aunt was becoming inactive and unmotivated. I got her a fitbit. She loved challenging herself to move more. It encouraged her to get up and move around. Walking to get a coffee might not be much but its sure better then nothing. For her, it increased her activity and made her more aware of how sedentary she really was.
    So it might be meaningless to you but for her it has a purpose. 10,000 steps is definitely better then laying on the couch all day.

This ^^

I'm not sure how long something has to be a 'thing' to not be a 'fad' but people have been counting steps with pedometers for decades. Being sedentary is linked to a number of diseases and if a pedometer helps someone become more active then IDK how that would not be considered a good thing.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Eight pages in but oh well. While 10k is not a basis for 'physical fitness' it is a good goal for someone who is sedentary to increase there activity.

It was an eye opener for me when I realized when I worked from home and didn't go to the gym and its 8 PM and I have 1800 steps for the day. It provides really great motivation to get off of my butt and move more throughout my work day so I like them, even though there calorie calculator algorithm has proven inaccurate for me, unless I stay in a certain range.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options

The problem is the OP is see 10,000 steps as being meant as a measure of fitness in some absolute sense. It is a measure of fitness in the sense of there are bunch of people, myself included, who would be very challenged to walk 10,000 steps in a day. If I forced myself to do it, I would be in pain in the days following because of it. However, I can cycle for 50 miles easily enough. There are many people who would benefit greatly from getting in 10,000 steps day both for the NEAT benefit, but also because it is a weight bearing exercise which would improve the quality of life overall.

I'm reading the original post the opposite of what you are. The OP states:
    I am a big disbeliever in the idea that counting steps taken under any circumstances during the day are actually has any meaning to becoming physically fit. My physiology classes in graduate school taught me that to contribute towards fitness, there must be sustained physical activity for at least 30 minutes at cardio training level.

Now the 30 minutes part I can agree isn't a rock solid statement. In your case 20 minutes or harder biking, or fewer instances of longer biking might accomplish the same thing in terms of overall cardio health. But your personal example to me is more proof that fitness really can't be measured so easily. As someone who bikes myself, I would say very few people that can bike 50 miles are not at least someone fit, unless they do it at a complete crawl of a pace. There are probably lots of people who can do 10,000 steps that couldn't bike 50 miles.

To me the step counter measure is just one of steps and not a very good indication of overall fitness. The same could be said for a lot of things really. There are lifting beasts with no cardio base, there are cardio freaks with very little strength, and there are a lot of people in the middle with a more mixed level. But in some cases you also have physical limits due to injuries, etc that might limit someone just in a specific area, but in a general sense they are fairly fit overall.

But it seems many like the reminders and such. I need to hurry to market with the Fitness Beast Tracker Max (trademarked of course) that reminds people to get up and run like a bear is chasing them, reminds them of when to lift weights, and senses the cupcake and tells them to put it down.

But for the record, though I think many step counters have limited use for me personally, the input on this thread makes me want to support them for giving people the initial push to get up and move more. That first part of the battle seems to be the hardest for many, and they seem to work well for that. If it helps that many people in some form, it certainly can't be a bad thing. And though the Fitness Beast Tracker Max is a bit tongue in cheek, I actually do wonder if a device with more reminders to increase intensity over time would work for a lot of people.
  • drachfit
    drachfit Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    how is this thread still going.

for unfit and unhealthy people, getting more steps per day is at least SOMEthing and its better than NOTHING.

ability to do 10k steps a day is not a measure of FITNESS. it is a measure of HOW SEDENTARY YOU ARE.

for those actually trying to improve fitness, counting steps is a waste of time, unless you're increasing them by going for a run. but you should be tracking the parameters of your run (time, distance, pace, heartrate) and not the number of steps, which doesnt tell you much.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I can't speak for anyone else.
    As someone who could barely walk up a flight of stairs without becoming out of breath and struggled to get 5000 steps per day when I first got a fit bit, to someone who has NOT gotten less than 18,000 steps, and usually over 20,000 steps per day since January 2014, it is definitely all good for me. I went from morbidly obese to a normal weight, with the help of MFP and my fit bit. I like the features, but really don't pay much attention to my heart rate, or calories burned as I am more concerned with moving more. I know for a fact that I am more active than I was 4 years ago. I am not an athlete. I am a normal, average, senior citizen, that is in the best shape I have been in for 30 years and it is thanks to MFP and my fit bit motivating me to lose the weight and move more. It is all good for me.

If you are an elite athlete, no, it probably is not the tool for you, but frankly, neither is this site.

For me, these tools are the best thing that has happened for me, and I am truly grateful for MFP and Fit Bit.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

There is a question for the individual around what the steps are made up of. So in many ways an awareness of what the tool is telling one helps.

Yesterday I walked 11K steps through my walk to work from my hotel, through the course of the day and thern back. That doesn't reflect many of those steps were up and down several flights of stairs.

I then ran another 14k steps in the evening, which would give me a totally different benefit.

There does seem to be a lack of critical examination of the meaning of data in many of the discussions on the site, whether that relates to use of tools, protocols of training, relative strengths and weaknesses of different exercise modes. If the originator had criticised then I'd have more sympathy for the position.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    I am truly grateful for MFP and Fit Bit.

OP has abandond us all..... shame. I really wanted to know her average daily step count.

Im posting simply to share your sentiment.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options

That strictly speaking from a weight loss perspective. There is new information to suggest that sitting for prolonged periods of time is bad for your health, even if you are physically active for a portion of the day. The 10,000 steps goal, especially if broken up through the day would be beneficial to combat this.
    I agree when it comes to overall health. But for overall fitness, even if one gets plenty of movement in throughout the day and reaches 10,000 steps, for some people that still won't do much.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Bought one. The next day my back looked like that
    <~~~

They are magic.

this explains exactly why I have no shoulders.
  • JayRuby84
    JayRuby84 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    The overall goal with a step counter is to get yourself moving more throughout the day. I find myself taking the stairs more while at the office, walking to a bathroom further away from my area, taking mini-walk breaks. I find the step challenges between mates to be encouraging and fun. If someone is meeting the 10,000 steps in a day quota, they are doing more than walking from the couch to the kitchen. If a step counter doesn't help you, don't use it. I find it to be quite helpful.
  • always_smilin_D
    always_smilin_D Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I love my FitBit, however, I don't have it connected to my MFP. One of the reason I love it is because it helps me try to not just sit all day at my desk - having the FitBit vibrate at some point with a yey you have taken 10k steps today and haven't just sat on you tushy most of the day is an awesome feeling... mind you I have the one with HRM and if at any point my heart rate reaches the "burning zone" it will register the activity - and that is what I will log

With that said, I do believe that the overall daily information provided could be misconstrued when directly linked with MFP - of course my opinion is based on my own experience and it might not be the same for most who use it.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

How does a Tabata, which is about, 14 mins, of high intensity exercise, disprove the 30 mins of moderate exercise? You should do a little research on what Tabatas actually proved and that was that you could train the aerobic energy system with anaerobic protocols. Also, most HIIT protocols are about 20 mins anyways and the McMaster study on weight loss was flawed btw.

Also, HIIT is completely irrelevant to steps throughout the day, it's apples and BMW.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options

How does a Tabata, which is about, 14 mins, of high intensity exercise, disprove the 30 mins of moderate exercise? You should do a little research on what Tabatas actually proved and that was that you could train the aerobic energy system with anaerobic protocols. Also, most HIIT protocols are about 20 mins anyways and the McMaster study on weight loss was flawed btw.

Also, HIIT is completely irrelevant to steps throughout the day, it's apples and BMW.

Actually Tabata is only 4 minutes, and based on the protocol that Izumi Tabata established, virtually no one who does what they call Tabata is doing it. The protocol is more than intervals of 20 seconds work and 10 seconds rest repeated 8 times. It also has the work phase was done at 170% of VO2Max. That is not what most people think of when thinking Tabata.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

Actually Tabata is only 4 minutes, and based on the protocol that Izumi Tabata established, virtually no one who does what they call Tabata is doing it. The protocol is more than intervals of 20 seconds work and 10 seconds rest repeated 8 times. It also has the work phase was done at 170% of VO2Max. That is not what most people think of when thinking Tabata.

I'm familiar with the protocol and threw up to prove it but I'm adding in the warm up time and cool down. Tabata originally worked with elite speed skaters and they were on the floor too so I feel better lol. True Tabatas are no rest as well so high and low intensity they are so brutal but had surprising results in the aerobic system which everyone thought took 20 mins just to warm up previously. Lol I'll stick to less intense ar my age!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »
    Throwing this in at the end, but the 10,000 steps recommendation is meant for overall health, not necessarily "fitness" and health professionals (at least the knowledgeable ones) don't prescribe that goal as a substitute for a traditional exercise programs.

In the late 1980s-early 1990s it became clear to health researchers that the percentage of people participating in a "traditional" exercise program (at that time, 3 days/wk, 20-30 min a session, maintaining a heart rate of 70%-80% of max) had not changed over the previous 15-20 years, despite the intense focus on running, health clubs, etc. In addition, research showed that, after a certain point, more exercise did not provide further decreases in mortality and morbidity.

Since then, the emphasis by major health organizations has shifted. Instead of focusing on getting a small number of people to "exercise", the focus is on trying to get the majority of the population to move around a little more. The effect on society and on health costs of getting a large number of people to just be a little more active would be huge.

Is the 10,000 steps somewhat of a gimmick? Absolutely--but that's what it takes to send a clear and simple message to people who really don't have the time or interest in detailed exercise plans or research studies.

In that light, it is a valid tool, not a fad. And in the grand scheme of things, it doesn't matter if some of the steps are just from walking around the house, etc. To get to 10,000, you have to do some substantive moving around and that is the goal.

But it's not to be confused with "fitness" or fitness training. That's something completely different. But, exercise fitness is not always necessary to improve one's health.
    Azdak wrote: »
    Again, the 10,000 step recommendation is not focused on improving "fitness", as defined by increased VO2 max or muscle strength. I described that earlier. The recommendations to increase general activity have been developed because it has been obvious for years that only a small percentage of people engage in exercise that notably increases "fitness" and there seems to be a ceiling on that level of participation.

The goal is to get a larger number of people moving a little bit more. That may not do much to improve "fitness", but, when looking at the population as a whole, it would significantly improve overall morbidity and mortality and decrease health care costs. In terms of general health, the difference between "sedentary" and "moderately active" is much greater than between "moderately active" and "fit, active, exerciser".

It is a mistake to equate the 10,000 step goal with following a traditional fitness-centered workout program. Up to a certain limit (~2500 calories per week), there is a dose-response effect of exercise. Those who participate in a fitness/exercise program will get more health benefits than someone following an "activity" lifestyle.

However it is also a mistake to dismiss or belittle the 10,000 step goal because it doesn't provide the same direct fitness benefits as a traditional exercise program.

They are really two different things.

@Azdak wins the thread.