Counting Steps FAD

Options

Replies

• Eddie__Jones
    Eddie__Jones Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I set my goal to walk 80 miles in February, tracked with runkeeper. That takes about 10k steps per day 5 days per week. While I don't count my steps, I make sure to take walks each day. Walking more than you would have to hit a goal works.

m9uvqney5zf2.png

68892776.png
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    Your Fitbits are not counting your steps at all. They are counting your HAND MOTIONS.
    21. Yesterday I walked 2 miles (according to my SHealth) on this thing it was 7 flights of stairs, over 10,000 steps!

22. Records THOUSANDS of extra steps in a day, and DOZENS of extra flights

COUNTING STEPS IN BED OR IN SLEEP

1. Counted steps when I was in bed

2. I've woken up and it's said I've walked over 100 steps while asleep

3. Shows hundreds of steps as I was a sleep

4. FitBit says I've walked 95 steps before even getting out of bed in the morning. I don't sleepwalk.

5. it had me walking over 10,000 steps on a day I was home sick in bed

6. The first morning I wore it, I checked it before even leaving the bed. It said I had taken 14 steps already, burned over 1,000 calories, and walked over 1 mile. All before even getting out of bed.

7. I was sick this past Monday and stayed in bed all day and it logged 2,000 steps.
    FWIW, not all Fitbit devices are based on hand movements. I have the One and most of the time it's in my pocket, so it's picking up motion from my hips/legs. I can tell you that there are times when I'm moving my hands and it does not register any steps from that.

As for extra floors climbed, I've had this problem before and mostly resolved it by resetting the device.

My device usually does count extra steps while I'm in bed, but I "make up for it" by just walking the extra 25-100 steps without the device. That's not a major deal IMO.

The Fitbit uses an althermeter (sp?) to measure your floors. So if you go up in a lift it'll register floors but not steps. Unless you're in a very shaky lift or walking on the spot no steps will be counted.
    One day about two months ago, it was way off though. I woke up out of bed and had 1 floor climbed, and IIRC when I checked my dashboard it said it was around 5:30AM. I'm 99.99% positive I didn't go downstairs and come back up, or go up into my attic and come back down in my sleep. Then I was out shopping later in the day and literally watched my floors climbed increase as I was walking on level floor.
    Your Fitbits are not counting your steps at all. They are counting your HAND MOTIONS.
    21. Yesterday I walked 2 miles (according to my SHealth) on this thing it was 7 flights of stairs, over 10,000 steps!

4. FitBit says I've walked 95 steps before even getting out of bed in the morning. I don't sleepwalk.

6. The first morning I wore it, I checked it before even leaving the bed. It said I had taken 14 steps already, burned over 1,000 calories, and walked over 1 mile. All before even getting out of bed.

7. I was sick this past Monday and stayed in bed all day and it logged 2,000 steps.
    FWIW, not all Fitbit devices are based on hand movements. I have the One and most of the time it's in my pocket, so it's picking up motion from my hips/legs. I can tell you that there are times when I'm moving my hands and it does not register any steps from that.

As for extra floors climbed, I've had this problem before and mostly resolved it by resetting the device.

My device usually does count extra steps while I'm in bed, but I "make up for it" by just walking the extra 25-100 steps without the device. That's not a major deal IMO.

The Fitbit uses an althermeter (sp?) to measure your floors. So if you go up in a lift it'll register floors but not steps. Unless you're in a very shaky lift or walking on the spot no steps will be counted.
    One day about two months ago, it was way off though. I woke up out of bed and had 1 floor climbed, and IIRC when I checked my dashboard it said it was around 5:30AM. I'm 99.99% positive I didn't go downstairs and come back up, or go up into my attic and come back down in my sleep. Then I was out shopping later in the day and literally watched my floors climbed increase as I was walking on level floor.

Fitbit recently released a statement covering that. An althermimeter (again sp?) uses the change in air pressure. So the recent storms and hurricanes both the USA and UK have been having have affected them. So yes while you're sleeping there was a big change in air pressure and that caused floors to register. It doesn't affect your calorie burn.
    Also that could be the reason for the added floors while shopping.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options

Fitbit recently released a statement covering that. An althermimeter (again sp?) uses the change in air pressure. So the recent storms and hurricanes both the USA and UK have been having have affected them. So yes while you're sleeping there was a big change in air pressure and that caused floors to register. It doesn't affect your calorie burn.
    Also that could be the reason for the added floors while shopping.
    That makes sense, although I don't understand why that wouldn't affect everyone in the affected areas. I was with family members who also have the One and their floor count was normal that day.

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Your Fitbits are not counting your steps at all. They are counting your HAND MOTIONS. I borrowed my friend's for 2 days just to see. First day I had over 12,000 steps and all I did was four loads of laundry (clothes in washer, then moved to dryer, removed from dryer, then fold) and took the dog out 10 steps from my front door about six times. The next morning I already had 8,000 steps by noon. I was given credit for 2,839 steps for BLOW DRYING MY HAIR.

I don't see why ANYONE would have a problem logging 10,000 steps with this device just going about normal daily activities (especially involving hands).

I don't have a Fitbit. My pedometer is not worn on my arm. I have looked at my pedometer and it matches up to my steps not hand motions. I have to walk quite a bit to get 10,000+ steps... until my feet and legs hurt some days. Fitbit is not the only device out there to count steps. Don't get one if you don't think it is a good product.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    I said "300 pages" of negative reviews and I only browsed first 50 pages. I believe those that involve inaccurate "step counts" due to hand motions are true because I found that out by doing laundry and blow drying my hair.

I thought you didn't have one? How can you have found out anything first hand if you didn't own one?
  • sault_girl
    sault_girl Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I would like to take this opportunity to complain about people going to the gym. What a fad and a waste of money. Spend big dollars for a membership when you could just run around outside for free or pick up and put down heavy boxes or rocks or grab a shovel and dig a hole or climb some trees or engage in some good old fashion sport.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I said "300 pages" of negative reviews and I only browsed first 50 pages. I believe those that involve inaccurate "step counts" due to hand motions are true because I found that out by doing laundry and blow drying my hair.

I thought you didn't have one? How can you have found out anything first hand if you didn't own one?

Apparently she borrowed one. She's an expert.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

Oh, I missed that part. I just wonder why the air of moral superiority since she obviously doesn't like it. Maybe if she actually asked for opinions rather than pronounced judgement she would have been off to a much better start and it would have been a much different thread. I guess some people don't understand that approach is a huge factor.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

Oh, I missed that part. I just wonder why the air of moral superiority since she obviously doesn't like it. Maybe if she actually asked rather than pronounced judgement she would have been off to a much better start and it would have been a much different thread.
    IKR
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    OP I don't have a Fitbit, I have a phone which tracks my steps when I keep it in my pocket or against my chest (in my bra), so it doesn't count my hand movements, and I don't think my boobs are making enough movement to give me that false of a reading.
    Oh and I got my first 10,000 steps just in my morning workout today, since I know to you it doesn't count if it's not a real workout.
    Is this satisfactory enough for you?? Please accept me!! :'(
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    OP, did a FitBit kill your parents? So much energy spent hating something no one is forcing you to have
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    You go, OP, you take down those evil fitbits and save the world.
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I think the final solution for you, koinflipper, is to NOT buy one. Problem solved.

ps: I stayed in bed a day last week and did not chalk up thousands of points. I guess we're doing different things when staying in bed for a day. B)

Lol :)

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Why are you rote repreating what you heard in grad school, instead of continuing to learn? The research shows that 10k steps is equivalent to other workouts. I hope no one believes they are becoming a prime athlete with ideal conditioning, but 10k steps takes an awfully long time if you are just wandering.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    My cellulite free & muscular legs walked 106,144 steps this week. They're sitting x30kf9vc87nc.jpeg
    on the couch now. Still snickering.

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    @koinflipper I have a fitbit zip, so don't have to worry about errant hand movements...

Having a fitbit has definitely not made me fitter, but it has made more active. It is a great motivator for me. I went from walking 2000-3000 steps a day which is probably only a few kms to 20,000 plus which equals around 16kms. Surely this has to have a positive impact, going from a sloth like existense to walking for the better part of every single day??
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I have a fitbit and a phone which has a pedometer. Phone is worn on my chest or in my pocket, not my arm. fitbit and phone are usually within a margin of 2% of each other (yes I am checking that) after my walk to work.

My husband is training for a half marathon next week (training 3-4x a week) and he is having trouble matching my stepcount on a weekly basis. We love having our little stepcount competition with me walking a lot (1.5 hours generally a day) and him running the distance and needing more time to recuperate.
    Is the fitbit our holy grail to fitness? No way, we did without for years but it is so much fun! It confirms we are on the right track, it keeps us going It is, like anything, just one of many indicators on our fitness journey that we have. After all if they journey is no fun then it is not as easy to keep up the good work.
  • sault_girl
    sault_girl Posts: 219 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Ok I did a bunch of crocheting last night and I did not get any extra steps for it. I also did some stuff around the house (dishes, laundry, etc) and did not get extra steps for any of that. If anything it missed small steps here and there.

I earned every one of the 21,525 steps I got in yesterday.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

You do a lot of blow drying during the day?
    The search for perfection has you not seeing the forest for the trees.