Best tip for hardgainers?

Options
Curious what your tips are for hardgainers? Mine is lift 3-4 sets with 6-10 high weight reps of compound exercises such as squat, dead lifts, military press, bench press, etc... and obviously increase your caloric intake. Other ideas and/or suggestions?
«1

Replies

  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Eat more. As in significantly more. More pizza and ice cream.
  • bruhaha007
    bruhaha007 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Thanks @usmcmp I'll read your post. My challenge is I also want to see my abs so not so sure about the ice cream. Perhaps it isn't possible to go after both at the same time.
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Treat your diet like your workouts. With progressive overload and lots of volume.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    bruhaha007 wrote: »
    Thanks @usmcmp I'll read your post. My challenge is I also want to see my abs so not so sure about the ice cream. Perhaps it isn't possible to go after both at the same time.

    You either put on weight (muscle and fat) or you cut to see abs. They don't happen at the same time. If you're skinny with no muscle you need to focus on gaining. You should be able to cut easy.
  • bruhaha007
    bruhaha007 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    The bulk and shred phase. Makes sense. I hate having to go to either extremes but it is what it is if I want my cake and eat it to.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    bruhaha007 wrote: »
    The bulk and shred phase. Makes sense. I hate having to go to either extremes but it is what it is if I want my cake and eat it to.

    Speaking of cake, you should probably eat that often since you have a busy schedule. My best tip for you.... preplan your day the night before and prepare the food to ensure you eat enough calories.
  • bruhaha007
    bruhaha007 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Good tip @psulemon
  • codsterlaing95
    codsterlaing95 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    No such thing as a "hard gainer"

    There is, however, undereaters.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    bruhaha007 wrote: »
    Thanks @usmcmp I'll read your post. My challenge is I also want to see my abs so not so sure about the ice cream. Perhaps it isn't possible to go after both at the same time.

    I eat a lot of ice cream during a cut or bulk and have visible abs.
    Visible abs comes from low bf% not what kind of food you eat, more how many calories you eat.
  • codsterlaing95
    codsterlaing95 Posts: 221 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    What you eat is irrelevant...it's all about the calories you consume.

    You could eat a million carrot sticks and if you go over your TDEE (maintenance calories), you'll gain weight/fat
  • bruhaha007
    bruhaha007 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    So what do you recommend @chiefirg to lower the bf% while still consuming the sufficient number of calories to gain lean muscle? Cardio and limit my fat intake?
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    bruhaha007 wrote: »
    So what do you recommend @chiefirg to lower the bf% while still consuming the sufficient number of calories to gain lean muscle? Cardio and limit my fat intake?

    You don't. If you're bulking, you're putting on fat. The other option is to do a recomp, which means you maintain your weight. It's typically a sloooooooow process.
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Contrary to what some have posted, people respond differently to training. Some show visible results quickly, and some hardly show any at all. Just eating at a surplus and training hard doesn't guarantee anything if your genetics won't support it.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Eat ice cream in a surplus while training, gain fat and muscle. Eat the ice cream in a deficit while training, lose fat and reveal your abs. It's science but not rocket science.
  • bruhaha007
    bruhaha007 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Looking good @arditarose Are you saying you ate ice cream while bulking and were able to get the abs you have now when you started shredding?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    bruhaha007 wrote: »
    Looking good @arditarose Are you saying you ate ice cream while bulking and were able to get the abs you have now when you started shredding?

    I ate ice cream as I lost fat, until I was lean enough to bulk. Now I'm eating it while bulking and I'll continue to eat it while I cut to see if I actually built any abs. Basically I always eat ice cream and treats. I just make it fit my macro/calorie goal for whatever my physique/performance goals are. Simple.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Hadabetter wrote: »
    Contrary to what some have posted, people respond differently to training. Some show visible results quickly, and some hardly show any at all. Just eating at a surplus and training hard doesn't guarantee anything if your genetics won't support it.

    Eating at a surplus and training with appropriate stimulus will result in muscle gains. You don't have to have superior genetics to add some muscle size, you have to train appropriately and eat enough. Hard gainers generally just don't eat enough and sometimes they follow crappy programs.
  • VictorianoAOchoa
    VictorianoAOchoa Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    simple answer:...

    Eat more food. :)

    Healthy food, that is, with good nutrition.
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options