Best tip for hardgainers?

Options
2»

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    IMO, there no such thing as a "hardgainer". They are either not eating enough, or lack genetics to improve to what they desire.
    I've trained with many dudes who want my arm shape and size. And they do everything they can to do it, with little results. I've gotten away with great looking arms by training them every other week.
    Now LEGS, that's a different story.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    simple answer:...

Eat more food. :)

Healthy food, that is, with good nutrition.
    But there is no such thing as "healthy" food. Food is basically either nutrient laden or lacking. Choice does matter if one is counting calories, but if one has reached daily micronutrients, eating more micronutrient foods doesn't give "extra credit". At that point, gaining mass relies more on calories.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• bruhaha007
    bruhaha007 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    @ninerbuff what macro ratio would you recommend?
  • borrego6193
    borrego6193 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're in a caloric surplus, gotta eat big to get big lol, keep reps low & heavy 2-6 Reps
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    bruhaha007 wrote: »
    So what do you recommend @chiefirg to lower the bf% while still consuming the sufficient number of calories to gain lean muscle? Cardio and limit my fat intake?

Eat less than your TDEE and you will lose fat. Eat enough protien for your LBM/activity level and you will lose minimal muscle during the cut process. Protien level will be dependant on weight/bf%. I find a goal of .5-1% loss of body weight per week to be optimal for me. So currently I'm 224lb with my BF@14%....I feel conformable losing 1-2lb weekly. Everybody is different, but I can still training for a couple hours without being drained at that rate.

My macros breakdown for a cut is the following for my activity level, BF% and current health. Note these are the minimum amounts I consume.
    1gr of protien per lb of LBM
    .35gr of fat per lb of LBM
    I'm not a fan of using percentages for macros. Because as you lose fat/weight it would having you eat less protien and fats while in reality you should be eating more to retain muscle.

Cardio is for your heart and lungs and is not neccesary to lose fat. I do 0% cardio, while eating at least 67gr of fat per day. Eating fat doesn't make you fat, it helps you with normal body fuctions. Cut the fat from your diet and your body will not function at peak levels. I eat ice cream every day and plenty of it either when on a cut and or a bulk.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    @ninerbuff what macro ratio would you recommend?
    For gaining mass? Probably a 40/40/20 ratio.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options
    Make sure you're in a caloric surplus, gotta eat big to get big lol, keep reps low & heavy 2-6 Reps
    For strength yes, but if one is going for hypertrophy to increase muscle size, a regimen of high volume (16 sets per body part) and reps in the range of 6-12 would be more desirable.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• bruhaha007
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    For strength yes, but if one is going for hypertrophy to increase muscle size, a regimen of high volume (16 sets per body part) and reps in the range of 6-12 would be more desirable.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I'm not sure I could fit 16 sets per body part into my routine and busy schedule. I am closer to 8 sets but i do keep my reps between 6-8.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Having seen some of your other threads I'm going to say that you need to set a goal and stick to it. You either need to bulk or you need to cut. Either way you have to find a solid progressive lifting routine to follow. You also need to drop the cleanses because you could damage to your digestive flora and your electrolyte balance.

If you want to bulk do it. Lift and eat. Don't beat yourself up for the cheat meals, don't cleanse after cheat meals. Eat, lift, gain.
  • bruhaha007
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    Having seen some of your other threads I'm going to say that you need to set a goal and stick to it. You either need to bulk or you need to cut. Either way you have to find a solid progressive lifting routine to follow. You also need to drop the cleanses because you could damage to your digestive flora and your electrolyte balance.

If you want to bulk do it. Lift and eat. Don't beat yourself up for the cheat meals, don't cleanse after cheat meals. Eat, lift, gain.

Great tips @usmcmp I do agree I need to focus on either bulking or shredding and not attempt both at the same time. Makes complete sense! However, I doubt we would ever truly come to an agreement on the value of fasting/cleansing as a technique to safely lose weight which is something I have researched in considerable detail. Please know I respect your opinion and thank you for suggesting I pick a path as I have been trying to decide this week whether I want to wait until next winter to bulk and shred going into the summer. I am leaning towards shredding for the next 16 weeks.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

Great tips @usmcmp I do agree I need to focus on either bulking or shredding and not attempt both at the same time. Makes complete sense! However, I doubt we would ever truly come to an agreement on the value of fasting/cleansing as a technique to safely lose weight which is something I have researched in considerable detail. Please know I respect your opinion and thank you for suggesting I pick a path as I have been trying to decide this week whether I want to wait until next winter to bulk and shred going into the summer. I am leaning towards shredding for the next 16 weeks.

I'm curious as to what you'd research is. Have you actually done look at the research of just read random Internet sites and pop books? I'm guessing it's the latter because there is no credible evidence for cleanses but fasting can be a useful tool for weight loss if done properly but there is no need to detoxify unless you have kidney issues and that's a lot medical issue you would need serious help for.

Please listen to people like USMCMP because she knows her stuff.
  • codsterlaing95
    codsterlaing95 Posts: 221 Member
    Options

Would you mind linking the websites? I think you should bite your ego and just listen to the good advice Usmcmp is handing you...

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,392 MFP Moderator
    edited February 2016
    Options

Would you mind linking the websites? I think you should bite your ego and just listen to the good advice Usmcmp is handing you...

These guys are definitely right. Cleanses and detoxes are just industry gimmicks.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1159755/looking-for-a-detox-cleanse/p1
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options

Performing research and googling are two different things.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

These guys are definitely right. Cleanses and detoxes are just industry gimmicks.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1159755/looking-for-a-detox-cleanse/p1

Also:

https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/the-detox-scam-how-to-spot-it-and-how-to-avoid-it/

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/dec/05/detox-myth-health-diet-science-ignorance
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Remember to change up your ruotine as well. Doing the same movements over and over, will fail eventually. You have to keep your body guessing. Also, heavy lifts is not the only way to gain mass. Pumping blood into your muscles, will force your muscles to grow. So even when you are resting, contract your muscles, and keep the blood pumping. You should be sore the next day, if not, you are not working to failure. The last few reps, when the muscle burn is intense, is the time your muscles are going to respond the most.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    cgvet37 wrote: »
    Remember to change up your ruotine as well. Doing the same movements over and over, will fail eventually. You have to keep your body guessing. Also, heavy lifts is not the only way to gain mass. Pumping blood into your muscles, will force your muscles to grow. So even when you are resting, contract your muscles, and keep the blood pumping. You should be sore the next day, if not, you are not working to failure. The last few reps, when the muscle burn is intense, is the time your muscles are going to respond the most.

Do what now?

Currently resting in bed and contracting muscles. Man, this is all I've needed to do for gains. Been doing it wrong.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

The "muscle confusion theory" was debunked many years ago. In fact, most reputable trainers will tell you that one of the biggest mistakes people make is "program hopping". Get on a routine, stick with it and keep putting more weight on the bar and you'll grow/get stronger. Yes, you occasionally deload/backcycle and/or change routines, but not near as often as most people seem to do in the gym. You can run a good, solid routine for a year or more.

Also, DOMS is no indicator of the effectiveness of a workout, and every movement should not be taken to failure. Doing so excessively fatigues the CNS and inhibits recovery. If you're sore after every workout, you're either not adapting or you're overtraining - neither of which is a good thing. Soreness is perfectly normal when starting out, or when changing up exercises/routines, but it's not normal to have DOMS after every workout.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

There is a lot wrong with this.